Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
ROAR Elections for President > ROAR Elections for President

ROAR Elections for President

Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any particular region requires more representation than just one regional director. Doesn't matter which region it is, although I admit yours is worse than most, no one person can do it all.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

We need to stage a coup !!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Any particular region requires more representation than just one regional director. Doesn't matter which region it is, although I admit yours is worse than most, no one person can do it all.
Regional Directors can have assistants
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We need a points system. That being said, nobody says your track has to race every "official" points paying class. I do believe it is a case of -build it, and they will come.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Landscaper View Post
Regional Directors can have assistants
Yes they can, but most don't. There just aren't enough people willing to sacrifice some of their time to take care of the housekeeping chores necessary to keep RC racing alive. It's part of the "ROAR Sucks" mentality.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Jim,

I think this is a two way street when it comes to volunteers. I looked at Region 12 which is my region and I don't see any opportunities to volunteer, in my region? Have I tried to reach out to the region director to ask if I can help, no I have not, and that is my fault.

I would purpose that there are some additional regional positions created that are standard and published across all the regions, that the RD's can nominate to serve during the year (e.g. Region publicist, defined regional assistants). The RD's know who is interested in promoting the hobby and ROAR in their regions and can build a cadre of interested parties to promote the hobby within their region. This ideally would help ROAR to increase it's presence visibly within each region, as well as communicate to other region members what is actually happening within the region and ROAR which should be a good thing.

When ROAR or it's reps don't communicate with members good or bad you can certainly understand the level of frustration that comes along with some of the issues and rules that have come out in recently. I believe that I said this in another thread that was of a similar discussion regarding rules and volunteers which was when you have one post in the last two years regarding your region, and that region is supposedly the "mecca" of R/C, obviously something is not right.

How do the lines of communication between the head shed of ROAR and the base that support ROAR, open up and not become destructive? If I were to run for president this would appear to be a top agenda item.

While I am not currently a ROAR member, I do believe that it is important to support the organization, and will be sending in my paperwork for membership after the first of the month, and look forward to once again supporting the organization that supports the hobby that I enjoy.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Marcus, you are entitled to your opinion, but this is a very narrow minded approach to the wide array of problems that our hobby faces. Every ROAR decision made over the last 5 years and more have been based on what racers have expressed as their opinion. The problem is for every group of racers that ROAR has made happy, there's another group that's angry beyond belief. Every single racer has their own opinion of what is best for the hobby, and they are all different. And it's far too easy to just say ROAR sucks!

And, while manufacturer input is necessary, picking the person the manufacturers want would be a disaster. The manufacturers have only thing in mind, and that's their bottom line. And they would want rules that help them make money, not necessarily rules that will help the hobby. Not every manufacturer is interested in racing. Consider this, the 2 most popular cars (okay technically RC vehicles) are the Traxxas Slash and the HPI 5B/T, vehicles for which no racing class existed.

The health of RC racing is dependant on the health of ROAR, and the way to keep ROAR healthy is to support ROAR, even if your guy loses or you disagree with the new rules.
Really I seem to remember long post about the cab forward design and remember the current president telling members to not worry about since it won't become a rule anyways she was mad because a lot of people where bashing ROAR for considering this rule. then 6 months later we have a rule no cab forward bodies. Seems like to me they should of asked the racers or had a vote about it because this is one of reasons I no longer care for ROAR you said "Every ROAR decision made over the last 5 years and more have been based on what racers have expressed as their opinion " well in "my opinion" that was not the case with that rule! I was turn off by ROAR when this rule was announced I would like to see more racer influenced rules but again that's "my opinion"
Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JSeay View Post
Jim,

I think this is a two way street when it comes to volunteers. I looked at Region 12 which is my region and I don't see any opportunities to volunteer, in my region? Have I tried to reach out to the region director to ask if I can help, no I have not, and that is my fault.

I would purpose that there are some additional regional positions created that are standard and published across all the regions, that the RD's can nominate to serve during the year (e.g. Region publicist, defined regional assistants). The RD's know who is interested in promoting the hobby and ROAR in their regions and can build a cadre of interested parties to promote the hobby within their region. This ideally would help ROAR to increase it's presence visibly within each region, as well as communicate to other region members what is actually happening within the region and ROAR which should be a good thing.

When ROAR or it's reps don't communicate with members good or bad you can certainly understand the level of frustration that comes along with some of the issues and rules that have come out in recently. I believe that I said this in another thread that was of a similar discussion regarding rules and volunteers which was when you have one post in the last two years regarding your region, and that region is supposedly the "mecca" of R/C, obviously something is not right.

How do the lines of communication between the head shed of ROAR and the base that support ROAR, open up and not become destructive? If I were to run for president this would appear to be a top agenda item.

While I am not currently a ROAR member, I do believe that it is important to support the organization, and will be sending in my paperwork for membership after the first of the month, and look forward to once again supporting the organization that supports the hobby that I enjoy.
You're absolutely right it is a two way street, and it's the responsibility of the regional director to respond and keep the conversation going. But it starts with you.

Communication is definitely key, but it's up to everyone to keep those lines open. Too many people think that because they're on RC Tech that everyone is on RC Tech. And that no matter how obscure their post might be, everybody and their mother has read it. Add to that most people think their last post on RC Tech is the greatest post in the history of the internet! And most people can't resist the parting cheap shot, including myself. This isn't good and only leads to flame wars, which solve nothing.

ROAR needs to keep those communication line open as well. Dawn and company have been trying to keep as many people informed as possible about the things going on, but that's difficult to do with the small staff they have and the continous bickering on the internet.

This is a difficult task and everyone needs to chip in, not just trade barbs with one another.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by revodragon View Post
Really I seem to remember long post about the cab forward design and remember the current president telling members to not worry about since it won't become a rule anyways she was mad because a lot of people where bashing ROAR for considering this rule. then 6 months later we have a rule no cab forward bodies. Seems like to me they should of asked the racers or had a vote about it because this is one of reasons I no longer care for ROAR you said "Every ROAR decision made over the last 5 years and more have been based on what racers have expressed as their opinion " well in "my opinion" that was not the case with that rule! I was turn off by ROAR when this rule was announced I would like to see more racer influenced rules but again that's "my opinion"
See, the problem is perspective. ROAR did talk to racers about the body rules, and there has been some heated debate about those rules. The problem is they didn't talk to you, and you have drawn a different conclusion than the ExComm has. You don't have to like the decision, but don't take it personal. Race with the rules as they are, and let your regional director know that "I'm not happy with the rule because..." and fill in the blank with a reasonable response, not just hyperbole.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

"The health of RC racing is dependant on the health of ROAR, and the way to keep ROAR healthy is to support ROAR, even if your guy loses or you disagree with the new rules."

Now THAT is a career politician's outlook certainly!!!

The health of RC is definitely NOT dependent on the organization that is supposed to SERVE it---but just the OPPOSITE! ROAR as an organization should be MOST concerned with it's members---not the other way around.

Also, having manufacturing support within ROAR is KEY to having a healthy organization as well---your statements that manufacturer's only care about the bottom line isn't necessarily true--but both of these show your elitist attitude towards the members and manufacturer's. Definitely not a healthy outlook for continued growth of our hobby/ and industry. There should be a marriage of both so that manufacturer's are healthy--and can help put MONEY back into the hobby so we can enjoy good racing and facilities to race at. We also are dependent on the manufacturer's to continue to provide us with the great toys we enjoy playing with!! We can't exist without their involvement and continued success in the industry.
ROAR was really a healthy organization when many of he manufacturer's had members on their board. So there shouldn't be a big resentment towards manufacturing from the ROAR organization,--but a spirit of mutual respect and working together.
We need BOTH--
FWIW
Tim Neja
An "OLD" ROAR member
And NOT a manufacturer--just a long time racer!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

This is good particapation we are all communicating with our ideas let's continue all the way to election can't wait to view the candidates hmmmmm
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timmig View Post
Now THAT is a career politician's outlook certainly!!!
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Originally Posted by timmig View Post
The health of RC is definitely NOT dependent on the organization that is supposed to SERVE it---but just the OPPOSITE! ROAR as an organization should be MOST concerned with it's members---not the other way around.
WRONG!!!

ROAR is a club, and any club is only as good as the members that belong to that club, and how much the members participate.

You believe, as many of todays racers do, that ROAR is a company, just like Associated or Losi, and people who join ROAR are customers. That is incorrect. ROAR is an association of people who like to race radio controlled cars. That's it. There's no profit motive (in fact ROAR is a non-profit organization), there are no customers, and there is no product. Its the belief that ROAR is a company and you are a customer that leads to people doing what they would do with any other company they are not happy with, take their business somewhere else. But there is no where else to go! There are no other rules making organizations. Yes, there are other races, but don't they all use some form of ROAR rules?

The attitude of racers must change for the hobby to grow, otherwise RC racing will be no more than what it is today.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

WRONG!!!

ROAR is a club, and any club is only as good as the members that belong to that club, and how much the members participate.

You believe, as many of todays racers do, that ROAR is a company, just like Associated or Losi, and people who join ROAR are customers. That is incorrect. ROAR is an association of people who like to race radio controlled cars. That's it. There's no profit motive (in fact ROAR is a non-profit organization), there are no customers, and there is no product. Its the belief that ROAR is a company and you are a customer that leads to people doing what they would do with any other company they are not happy with, take their business somewhere else. But there is no where else to go! There are no other rules making organizations. Yes, there are other races, but don't they all use some form of ROAR rules?

The attitude of racers must change for the hobby to grow, otherwise RC racing will be no more than what it is today.

Jim,

I think everyone involved has to change their attitude and mindset, not strictly the racers. As you have put it ROAR is a club and as a club member, individuals that are a part of it should have the final say with their vote regarding club rules.

Club members need to be able to be involved in clear and straight forward lines. Rules should not be made under the cover of darkness with full visibility and disclosure to the the members before the rule go into effect, not after the fact. I dont think that we can say this is true of the current state of how the club rules are formed and implmented.

For ROAR's presence and viability to grow everyone at every level of the club needs to look at how the buiness of the club can include the base, not just from a revenue aspect, but from a input standpoint.

Last edited by JSeay; 05-20-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WRONG!!!

Actually I think you're wrong. All it would take is a new "club" to be formed and serve as a sanctioning body just like when the IRL was formed and diluted CART a few years back.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC Racer OG View Post
Actually I think you're wrong. All it would take is a new "club" to be formed and serve as a sanctioning body just like when the IRL was formed and diluted CART a few years back.
Which is okay. The whole purpose of a discussion is to express and challenge ideas. However your choice of examples is curious. You challenge my point about there only being one sanctioning body by citing the one example that destroyed that form of racing.

Another sanctioning body is always a possibility, but if it's such a good idea, why hasn't anyone done it yet?

The short answer is it's too much work. ROAR with all its faults has a fairly strong foundation. All of the base line organization is there. All ROAR needs is more good people willing to do the work necessary, and a membership willing to support the organization even though they may disagree with some of the decisions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service