Search

1/8th Racers opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Racers opinion

Hey folks,
My nephew loves watching the 1/8th races both nitro and Electric.
My question is when is a good time to move him to this class. He races spec slash now. Would you recommend a 1/10th buggy or truck first? I mean I know theres no law or rule. I come from MX racing, now moving up to quick there can land you in the hospital, I know thats not the case here, but I have respect for any kind of racing and refuse to let him be one those yahoos with money, who just pin it and launch there 1/8th 50 feet to the opposite side of the track and destroy someones car. I have personaly watched guys with top of the line 1/8th buggys, turn slower laps then rookie slash, cause they of course crash 20 times a lap, usually collecting a front running car in the process.

Thanks for any input
Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Its a very good question.
I don't race off road but I do race 1/8 on road.
We come from similar back grounds (motorcycles) and I believe that you will know if he is ready for the move.
If he is one of the guys turning faster lap times than some of he 1/8 guys and is smooth and has respect for other drivers than give him the move and just remind him that when he pulls the trigger something is gonna happen and that he may not be ready for it.
As my dad said to when I started Road Racing be smooth first and the speed will come. He was right and I had a pretty good career racing motorcycles.
Hope this helps a little.
Greg Esser
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, do you consider his driving abilities good enough to move him up? There is always a learning curve for everystep you make to move up. Maybe get one to practice with a little while before actually racing, as you and I both know from MX that track time/practice is key for improvement. I have seen some people that have been racing 10th make the switch to 8th and drive better than they ever did with 10th. All you can do I let him try if YOU and HIM think he his ready.
Jus my 2 pennys
Good Luck
Roy
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input Greg and Roy, He drives okay, He by no means can run with a decent 1/8th driver NO WAY!!.... He's real respectful when we practice with the 1/8th cars, if he sees them coming he pulls wide, if they catch him quick, he will hold his line. He's a little intimidated by the nitro guys I think it's the sound and speed, he's only 10 years old. But boy does he love to watch them race, but hey who don't.. Like Adam Drake said about 1/8th nitro buggy "It's the premier class"
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

well, you beat me to it about the mx etiquette(sp?) applying here to racing rc - holding a line and/or going wide to let faster ppl pass is a must!!! i just started out racing 1/8 scale electric this summer, and that's how i started out until i got my speed up. people anywhere will respect that type of racing and if they don't then you simply don't move for them anymore

if your local track(s) have too many people who aren't true racers and have trouble appreciating a slower/cautious/respectful driver, then maybe 1/10 scale truck could be a great way to bridge the gap skill-wise between slash and 1/8. i think mod buggy is the best way to learn how to drive fast and efficient, but around here it seems like its a dieing class
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

i started in 1/10 gas truck yes it does make u learn about throttle control
i say start him in 1/8 buggy and set his throttle to half just so he can learn how to drive a heavyer car as for respect of other racers there is somewhat of that in sportsman class thats what i recommend u put him in i your track has that, the bad thing about starting in 1/10 2wd is when make the jump to buggy u tend to drive a 1/8 like that somewhat in 1/8 and it takes a while before u really can drive a 1/8 harder trust me i know,i wish i started in 1/8 when i did offroad
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMNJEFF
Thanks for the input Greg and Roy, He drives okay, He by no means can run with a decent 1/8th driver NO WAY!!.... He's real respectful when we practice with the 1/8th cars, if he sees them coming he pulls wide, if they catch him quick, he will hold his line. He's a little intimidated by the nitro guys I think it's the sound and speed, he's only 10 years old. But boy does he love to watch them race, but hey who don't.. Like Adam Drake said about 1/8th nitro buggy "It's the premier class"
That statement right there impressed me. 10 years old and is showing more respect and maturity than alot of the guys I run with. IMO you will know when he is ready to move up. I myself would get him behind the controls of an 1/8 and let him run it any chance I could. The kids nowadays pick up things so quick it isnt funny. He is already 2 steps ahead of alot of people with his respect and maturity as a racer. Get him on the track with an 1/8 and see how he does. He just may suprize you and alot of the racers out there.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShawnP
That statement right there impressed me. 10 years old and is showing more respect and maturity than alot of the guys I run with. IMO you will know when he is ready to move up. I myself would get him behind the controls of an 1/8 and let him run it any chance I could. The kids nowadays pick up things so quick it isnt funny. He is already 2 steps ahead of alot of people with his respect and maturity as a racer. Get him on the track with an 1/8 and see how he does. He just may suprize you and alot of the racers out there.
Thanks Shawn, ya we live in so.cal so when we go to a local track to practice mid week it is not uncommon to see many 1/8 drivers, they seem to be pretty serious about getting track time. We commonly see the Losi or Associated factory drivers testing as well. I can honestly say he's only had one run in with a 1/8, it was going into the corner and he pulled wide, while the 1/8 driver went to the inside and then centerpunched him sending him tumbling, poor kid was like sorry, but the guy was like no way man it was my fault I adjusted to much/little brake bias?? and the car didn't stop as he expected. but thats the only time.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My personal take on this is if he enjoys it and loves it then let him do it, really who cares what others might think he's ten years old.. If the so called seasoned races cant make there way around him then they suck, if they get mad about it then they not only suck but are also jerks..
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Prophet

i dont know why some who race 1/8buggy offroad its not onroad racing now
when somebody yells at me i just ignore it and drive whats the worse they are gone to to u. yea let him drive i seen a 10 year old drive a truggy so ya