Tracks Dead: Call 911!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracks Dead: Call 911!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Posted on a local off-road forum asking if anyone was interested in Slash racing on the on-road. See if I can shake the tree and knock a few nuts out!

Ga RC Racers
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Our real issue is new racers. We can't seem to get any. The track is not visible from the road. It's tucked away in the woods down a dirt road. When we raced in the parking lot the track could be seen from a major hwy, we had plenty of racers.
What's your point!?! This is the internet age, right?!? Post some flyers around the nearby towns. Usually the high schools,resturants and grocery stores are good places to put fliers, if allowed. Put up some videos, of your club races and events, on Youtube. Make sure to show people having fun.....Bam!!! Free advertisment.

Then once they get there be sure to treat them to a great experience......word of mouth will usually do the rest.

With the drop in economy and just the overall decline in nitro touring, you have to adapt the way you run the track until you can get a good core group back, then enlist the core group to be on the lookout for new blood (ie friends, new neighbors, old friends looking ot get back into the rc scene)

Hold some Friday/Saturday night Drag racing......open it up!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NIXFIX NITRO
WOW !!!...you still remember us.from "back in the day"....before you turned pro

thanks for the highlites lil- bump, ---oh yes this system works good for the noobs.

Race you later.....
No problem Rob,
When a system works then why try to change it. I still love that super truck series you ran(not sure if thats the right name). Running those bob tail trucks on a touring car chassis was really fun. I wish we could combine the efforts of your races with MOOR and Gary's groups. I think we would get a good turnout.

Pass you soon...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
That is a great idea! There's a ton of slash or cor (?) trucks showing up at the offroad tracks, it's probably the biggest thing going and cheap to get itnto! While they are there maybe they'll see how much faster they can go with a true on-road!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Our local parking lot races use 2 plastic skateboard ramps side by side. They set up the jumps to cut off a small section of track. That way taking the jump is the fastest route, but you risk crashing or breaking. Some still use the slow but steady method and take the long route. The slash class is a lot of fun. The stock off road tires hook up well on asphalt and the trucks hold up really well.
The slash thing could be the ticket. Our nitro sedan has been low too as of late. However, at my track (SpeedWorld Raceway), which is a premiere onroad track, we AVERAGE close to 50 slash racers every two weeks. And on the time we added oval, there were close to 68 entires. I love nitro onroad and will always run it. But, you may want to consider all options to bring in new racers. Because of this, a lot of the slash drivers have added onroad to their inventory of cars

BTW, we added jumps to the course to give it that offroad feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmcUQLAh5Q
Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We kinda have that problem in Norway too...

And on top of that our economy isn't that affected with the downturn.
It's so hard to get new blood in, we tried many things.
The track is fully funded by the city and we charge no fees for race or practice, and still people will rather stand on a dirty parking lot and wreck their car doing speedpasses, or sit home playing PS3 or Xbox360.

When i first got the deal for the track there where many more involved, but after 1.5 year we are half of what we used to be. I keep telling them we have the track now, if we blow this and cannot make it run, we won't get another chance. We will not get the 2nd chance fully funded, and people don't know how lucky we are, all the city wants is for people to have a option in their spare time.

I been standing in the malls, on the schools, in shops etc with some cars and a video running on a laptop of some races to show what we do and how fun it is. Still no new has shown up, it's fustrating.

I am about to give up, it's too bad as i will quit the hobby if i do.
No way am i going back to driving on a parking lot with my full graphite cars.

So i understand your problem, and it is worldwide it seems!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Offering a new class is definitely the easiest way to gain more racers. We only raced on-road classes, but realized that a few board changes would allow us to run Oval as well. We knew there were a bunch of oval racers within a couple hors drive that didn't have many choices for tracks. We just posted up on their forum, invited them over, and for the first season we actually ran on-road and oval at the same time. We had to change the track from on-road to oval and back again like a dozen times per day, BUT but but....the oval guys showed up in force and the following season they got their own raceday, and us on-road guys went back to our own days as well. The moral of the story is that you never know where the next group of racers is going to come from. Try anything! Having a local hobby shop is key though, as it's the easiest way to get people from the hobby phase into the competition phase.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by neltime64
The slash thing could be the ticket. Our nitro sedan has been low too as of late. However, at my track (SpeedWorld Raceway), which is a premiere onroad track, we AVERAGE close to 50 slash racers every two weeks. And on the time we added oval, there were close to 68 entires. I love nitro onroad and will always run it. But, you may want to consider all options to bring in new racers. Because of this, a lot of the slash drivers have added onroad to their inventory of cars

BTW, we added jumps to the course to give it that offroad feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmcUQLAh5Q
This is great! Already posted the link on another thread and forum!......Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know. I don't really see the interest in this. Off-road trucks on an on-road track just because they put a couple jumps in there? I hear alot of bottoming out and probably alot of broken parts for the new guys. I think it will die a quick death kind of like stadium trucks and monster trucks at our local on-road track. I say keep off-road, off-road and focus on getting the on-road scene better at your track. The rest of this will prove to be a waste of time, IMO.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Are there any LHS you could put an advert in?

I dont get how people can turn up to practice, not pay anything and leave. it sounds very self centred to use a facility and not recognise the need to support it financially
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc3team
Are there any LHS you could put an advert in?

I dont get how people can turn up to practice, not pay anything and leave. it sounds very self centred to use a facility and not recognise the need to support it financially
There are a few, some that actually race this class of cars on their off-road. I wouldn't feel right to ask them to advertise, but there are several Hobby Towns that might let us. Probably be good for their sales as well! .... Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
Posted on a local off-road forum asking if anyone was interested in Slash racing on the on-road. See if I can shake the tree and knock a few nuts out!

Ga RC Racers

Hey,

at my track we ran everything....buggy,truggy,1/10touring,1/8 lola...also that kyosho 1/8 motorcycle.

the guy that ran the 1/8 motorcycle for a 1/2 lap before he crashed & was done for the day.he had the time of his life!!!...the next club race he came back with a brand new nitro touring car.

Like they said ...open the gates

Race you later........
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

I'm getting excited about this! Looks like there's 7 or 8 that say they will show this Sun......then they tell a friend, then they tell a friend..........
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default my two cents

hello.

Back in the day the bowl was a hit every weekend. I came to know it was there due to the local hobby shops around the area. When people pick up a new car they want to race it, but the hobby shop tells people there is no place around. I think and know if you go to the local hobby shops and let them know that the bowl is alive and starting new races people will come. Back in the day they had a web site with the info on how to get there, what days are open, and what is being race there. Lots of people think it's close due to driving there and missing the entrance being lock, or they may drive by it not knowing is there. B&B hobby's and Hobby-town in Gwinnett are a good way to start also getting a web page up will help.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fastgrind
hello.

Back in the day the bowl was a hit every weekend. I came to know it was there due to the local hobby shops around the area. When people pick up a new car they want to race it, but the hobby shop tells people there is no place around. I think and know if you go to the local hobby shops and let them know that the bowl is alive and starting new races people will come. Back in the day they had a web site with the info on how to get there, what days are open, and what is being race there. Lots of people think it's close due to driving there and missing the entrance being lock, or they may drive by it not knowing is there. B&B hobby's and Hobby-town in Gwinnett are a good way to start also getting a web page up will help.
I called HT Gwinnett a couple of days ago asking if they would post a flyer, said they would be glad to. David, the manager, said their sales of these cars are through the roof and they also stock the parts.!

I'll see what happens today at the track and get an idea which direction this thing will go!

Later!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

just a thought. You mentioned some of these drivers were sponsored. I couldn't imagine any sponsor of a driver being happy with that kind of behavior of their drivers. So contact those sponsors to encourage their drivers to compete locally, and setup a point championship series so that way the reward goes with it and those drivers have something to show for it.