Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
How dangerous is RC racing? >

How dangerous is RC racing?

How dangerous is RC racing?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default How dangerous is RC racing?

I am trying to get some data to prove that RC racing is a lot safer than what it would appear to be. I would welcome any reports of past incidents of personal injury that would help my research. I have not heard of any serious personal injuries or insurance claims from RC racing, and it appears that statistics could prove that the sport could nearly as harmless as lawn bowling; despite 1/8th scale rockets travelling at more than 100 Km/hr (60Mph) and Monster trucks weighing more than 5 kg (11 Lbs). Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would say it's a pretty safe thing to do, but things do happen. Other than cutting or burniging yourself while working on the car, maybe a small shock too, you really can't get "hurt" while racing your car.

Getting hurt at the track is normally a result of a slip and fall, either while marshaling or running around. Getting hit by a car, especially large nitro, can cause some issues, thats for sure. I personally broke someones ankle when they stepped in front of my nitro tc at full speed. But that is an example of someone being careless while marshling IMO.

There is also the risk of fire and explosions in the pits, but they are few and very far between.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

After a six year hiatus from the hobby, I am considering coming back into it. In my time racing, although I saw cars leave the track, often airborne, I never saw anyone get hit or injured. Injuries if any were cuts or burns associated with soldering, building or picking a hot car up wrong.

Compared to what my current hobby is (club racing full size cars), R/C racing is pretty damn safe if not harmless.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies; they have been taken in. I have seen two accidents that would be looked upon as resulting from the most obvious danger in our sport, both causing minor ankle injuries. Once when a marshal was trying to turn an upside down car back at the end of a back straight without taking care to look out first (a mistake by the marshal), and once at a start of a race, when a car starting from the back had a servo problem, and went straight into the foot of a pit crew member of a car starting from the front.

I also witnessed an incident where a marshal twisted his ankle whilst getting up awkwardly from sitting to put a car back on the track, apart from minor burn, cuts etc. These accidents are in my view incidents that could happen anywhere; in lots of activities, and probably shouldn’t be listed as dangers peculiar to our sport, when assessing insurance risks, and should probably be under a category of universal types of dangers in a club’s Risk Management Register.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
I am trying to get some data to prove that RC racing is a lot safer than what it would appear to be. I would welcome any reports of past incidents of personal injury that would help my research. I have not heard of any serious personal injuries or insurance claims from RC racing, and it appears that statistics could prove that the sport could nearly as harmless as lawn bowling; despite 1/8th scale rockets travelling at more than 100 Km/hr (60Mph) and Monster trucks weighing more than 5 kg (11 Lbs). Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
R/C racing is like any other hobby/activity.....as soon as people start getting stupid, other people get put in danger........enough said.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

There is a thread around here somewhere called something like dumb things you've done, and it has lots of stories of people hitting them self's with there cars. But i dont think you'll really find any statisics that any one has put together. Its not popular enough to draw in the bored writers who need a story about dangerous R/C cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've been racing since 1984 and only seen two major incidents at a race.

1. A guy had a heart attack and died at the track.

2. A guy slipped on the drivers stand stairs and ripped a nasty gash in his leg requiring a ton of stitches.

I have seen people hit by cars but nothing more than a bruise or twisted ankle.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I saw a guy get his finger almost ripped of/ in a 1/8 on-road spur/pinion gear.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Driving your car *to/from* the races is far more risky, from a percentages point of view, than RC racing itself.

I did break a bone in my foot marshalling at a race last December. Went to get a car and dodged a 1/8 buggy in the air coming towards me. Learned my less on better pay attention - and to wear better tight-fitting shoes... Marshalling can be somewhat of a sport in itself.

Right now, LiPo fires would be the big danger for RC right now. That or marshalling near large double/triple jumps for a D-main of 1/8 electric Truggies of guys running 2650KV motors and 4S LiPos.

You also could get your heart broken by the trophy girls at the big races.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
BSS
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i saw an 1/8scale take someone's head off, its a very dangerous hobby
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. Several Ankle shots...over 20 (all Walked off)
2. Lacerated Didgits...First aid applied( Many)
3. 2 TKO hits to the head..(all Walked off eventually)
4. 3 Eye injuries (Flushed) All OK
5.Numerous turn marshell spains,strains,minor lacerations, burned fingers, ans ruined shoes...Nito run aways...
6. 1 stomach shot...looked brutal..now first aid required
7. Lots of bruses, a week after racing...Old people seem to get all red n blue over a week or two..

They all lived....

My Moterbike injuries...

Tib Fib, Fracture X 2
Two Collerbones
Ulna and raduis Shatter
c-4 fractureX3 Fused
8 Broken fingers
2 Cartalidge patella replacements
many more issues... Rough medical for injuries from two wheel playing or racing over $550,000.00

Personal cost to date...$125,000.00

RC is CHEAP...And somewhat safe.

Four years of RC.....$25,000

Worth Every penny

None of the factors above include travel,fuel ,entry, etc...They are just the bills, adjust the loss based on lost wages ...its well over a Million bucks...plus the cost to race...(500.00-3K) per week. Never mind all the other stuff..Special insurance, Life insurance....ETC.

Rc is Safe...and Cheap.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

I have seen alot of track marshals fall and embarass themselves more than anything Although I dont think you would walk off the track if you got hit in the ankle by an 8th scale that was wound out going down the straight away!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RC is safe except for those idiots with short tempers
Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fast11970 View Post
My Moterbike injuries...

Tib Fib, Fracture X 2
Two Collerbones
Ulna and raduis Shatter
c-4 fractureX3 Fused
8 Broken fingers
2 Cartalidge patella replacements
many more issues... Rough medical for injuries from two wheel playing or racing over $550,000.00

Personal cost to date...$125,000.00

RC is CHEAP...And somewhat safe.

Four years of RC.....$25,000

Worth Every penny

None of the factors above include travel,fuel ,entry, etc...They are just the bills, adjust the loss based on lost wages ...its well over a Million bucks...plus the cost to race...(500.00-3K) per week. Never mind all the other stuff..Special insurance, Life insurance....ETC.

Rc is Safe...and Cheap.
Damn, man....fortunately I have not had any injuries from road racing but the "other" costs mirror yours. R/C definately is a much more walet friendly activity.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I've broken a toe! Been hit a few times, but nothing major.

I'd say it is about as safe as softball.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.