R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Racing Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum-6/)
-   -   New Track in Southern California (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/28339-new-track-southern-california.html)

ChrisCrash 11-26-2003 01:08 PM

New Track in Southern California

Just as a point in question, if a new indoor track were to open in southern california, would the population want on-road, or off-road?

Francis M. 11-26-2003 01:32 PM

i would like an onroad track. :nod:

Hebiki 11-26-2003 01:43 PM

Carpet

here's my 3 cents worth. i think in order to facilitate growth for the RC community in socal... an indoor carpet track would be great.

we have a lot of nitro tracks... lots of off road.. but no carpet yet?

plus i like SoCal..and i wouldnt want them to have competition you know what i mean? having a variety of tracks just helps everyone out in the long run.

so my vote is carpet.. like this track in Japan! :lol: :D

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/twc2003/toptwc.jpg

or this track :lol:

http://www.christian-keil.com/a02-re...3-PIC00030.jpg

Old Tech 11-26-2003 03:55 PM

Carpet would be my vote. Bring back some 12th scale...not those damn sedans, I mean real 12th scale cars!:lol:

wolfeman09 11-26-2003 04:02 PM

How soon we all forget. We had a carpet track here in Corona and no one went. It had a shop, bathrooms and all the admenties, pits w/ power etc.

It was the most dialed track on the planet.

Chris I would not do it, to expensive (rent and space) and I dont think people in SoCal will go, especially to Corona, since no one went last time.

My 2 cents.

Old Tech 11-26-2003 04:06 PM

Forget?!? I'm hoping it will come back!!! I was there, and did show up...often to "no racing today". On-road has a more consistent following now then it did back then anyway. I think it'd fly.

V60 11-26-2003 04:47 PM

If the Corona track you were referring to was BW, then there was a reason it closed... out in the sticks and to call that a hobby shop might have been overstating it... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, build it, and they will come (maybe in that empty lot behind the Tamiya building :nod: ) Are you listening Tamiya USA??? :sneaky:

R/C HEAT 11-26-2003 05:12 PM

Rent is very high these days to make it work, even in Corona. Carpet would be nice but at $7,000 a month for rent alone, good luck!

10,000 sq ft building at $0.70 per sq ft (going rate in Corona)

Lighting-Insurance-Power at every pit table-workers comp insurance for your employees (required by law) permits- and the list goes on and on.

It could be done, but would be tough and have to be top notch! Dont plan on getting rich from it.

I think between Socal, Rev and Parking lot racing we in So Cali should be thankfull.

howard hudson 11-26-2003 05:36 PM

Originally posted by V60
If the Corona track you were referring to was BW, then there was a reason it closed... out in the sticks and to call that a hobby shop might have been overstating it... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, build it, and they will come (maybe in that empty lot behind the Tamiya building :nod: ) Are you listening Tamiya USA??? :sneaky:

let me partake a little bit. I was there from the time the location was nothing but a storage unit crap everywhere. We cleaned it out and built a fantastic carpet track. one of a kind drivers stand. nice ample pit tables, and yes a hobby shop( not a well stocked hobby shop) but still it was something. gee sorry we could not carry every part that may have been needed but it was built on a very tight budget and thought we did well with what we had. I tell ya that place was better then running in some ol dirty parking lot!! but I guess thats what everybody liked then:weird: :weird: :weird:

now as far as the sticks hummmm right off the 91 freeway in riverside about 1/2 hour (with no traffic) from OC is the sticks ???
what do ya call moreno valley nomans land.( makes ya wonder why all the yuppies from OC are moving this way)

to bad the track only lasted 3 months from lack of support . hey us rednecks in the 909 at least tryed to give you all another indoor on road track

BendingCornerz 11-26-2003 05:41 PM

Build it they will race!

MarkA 11-26-2003 05:46 PM

Originally posted by howard hudson

now as far as the sticks hummmm right off the 91 freeway in riverside about 1/2 hour (with no traffic) from OC is the sticks ???

The key is being in a location people can get to on days there is traffic. A track east of the 57 only has two viable race days to draw people from LA and OC, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday puts you head-to-head with SoCal and Sunday with all the parking lot races out there.

I wouldn’t call Corona the sticks but if you race on a weeknight, it might as well be and for a permanent, indoor track to succeed, it will need a 7-day a week revenue stream.

I personally would second the thought from RCJohhny that the Southern Cal RC track market (SoCal, Rev., Hobby People races, Charlie Barnes’ stuff, etc.) is in a state of economic equilibrium right now – we have what we can support.

R/C HEAT 11-26-2003 06:02 PM

Saturday puts you head-to-head with SoCal and Sunday with all the parking lot races out there.
True, very true!

who knows though, like BC said, build it, they will race! But you will need alot, i mean a whole lot of racers to keep open.

howard hudson 11-26-2003 06:21 PM

Originally posted by MarkA
The key is being in a location people can get to on days there is traffic. A track east of the 57 only has two viable race days to draw people from LA and OC, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday puts you head-to-head with SoCal and Sunday with all the parking lot races out there.

I wouldn’t call Corona the sticks but if you race on a weeknight, it might as well be and for a permanent, indoor track to succeed, it will need a 7-day a week revenue stream.

I personally would second the thought from RCJohhny that the Southern Cal RC track market (SoCal, Rev., Hobby People races, Charlie Barnes’ stuff, etc.) is in a state of economic equilibrium right now – we have what we can support.

mike I agree with you but I just didnt like the bashing on BW after all the free man hours that my son, mb racer and my self put into it. To make a nice track for the racer to go to. So the hobby shop was lame big deal the track is what was important besides other then hby ppl races how many other parking lot tracks even have a hobby shop on site????:weird:

howard hudson 11-26-2003 07:03 PM

Re: Carpet

Originally posted by Hebiki
here's my 3 cents worth. i think in order to facilitate growth for the RC community in socal... an indoor carpet track would be great.

we have a lot of nitro tracks... lots of off road.. but no carpet yet?

plus i like SoCal..and i wouldnt want them to have competition you know what i mean? having a variety of tracks just helps everyone out in the long run.

so my vote is carpet..

CARPET ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

rto997 11-26-2003 10:09 PM

BW was a nice track.... I really enjoyed racing there. HH and son, and MB Racer really put a lot of work into making it a fun venue to race at!! The problem is out here in Cali we do not know the value of having a carpet track. I would race carpet if we had one here!!