Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would say you guys should just stick with one class to start. Trans Am almost went with 2 classes in the very very early stages, but cooler heads prevailed. It worked for TA in the end.

Also, some of the guys in Florida were trying to run 13.5 motors/6 cell in the TA cars because the tracks were "too big". One of the guys from down there had posted turnouts weren't too good because the cars were too fast that way.

Take that with a grain of salt, and test everything before you make a decision
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i'm all for sticking with one class/motor option (ok, so its 2 27 or 17.5) and then see where things go..

as far as speed, we all know a decently tuned 27 will be fast no matter what kind of track, so there should be no worries there...and if all the cars are running the same, things won't appear that slow
Old 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

I do know one thing, from this great input you guys are giving Charlie, it looks like RCGT is well on its way to being a hit! Most of the input statements here lead to the fact that both classes "may" be able to function, even in the early stages of RCGT.
From what I'm seeing, it would all come down to one thing...The size of the track. Track owners/coordinators that have larger sweeping tracks like Blue Diamond would be able to run a 19Turn/10.5 go-power package. This should be "GT2" (The higher the power, the larger the number)..A GT2 set up would cater to their primary demographic that frequents the larger tracks on weekly basis. The smaller parking lot style tracks with shorter straights/tight turns would be able to run a 27t/17.5 go-power set up aka "GT1" power specs. GT1 would cater to the smaller track's primary demographic that frequents on a consistent basis. Points series should be set up for both GT1&2 At each track, or track tour series etc...etc... Small Track (GT1) & Large Track (GT2)coordinators/owners within the same areas/regions should communicate with eachother often. Both should set up large specialty GT1/GT2 trophy races from time to time. Maybe get big sponsors or corperate companies involved like HPI & local businesses that may hold interest.
Work a formula like this and the numbers will be there from all stand points and go-power preferences. In other words RCGT GT1/GT2 = A HUGE amount of racers from coast to coast. ...I know this is the package that would work ...Damn I guess my experience in 1:1 custom car show event promoting/organizing is coming in handy with RC... Who would have thunk it
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is getting exciting...!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
This is getting exciting...!
We run the Tamiya TCS race series. In the mid-atlantic area, there is a group of about 7 guys who travel to 4 or more TCS races around the country. Guaranteed to have them run this series.

I was figuring that sportcars should be faster than the Touring Car equivalent. It doesn't seem right to have a Mazda 6 outrun a Lambo.
Watching how Trans Am took off, I agree that the 17.5/27T should be the initial standard. Keep it simple.

Plus this would be great to get newbies into R/C who can relate to the cars they now see in the magazines. Plus capture the drifting crowd by just changing tires and motors. I realized something was wrong when my 15 son didn't know that the Mustang decal on the rear of our VTA was where the real car's gas filler was located.

Below is a document I dusted off. I wrote these sportscar rules earlier in the year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sportcar RC Series.pdf (63.7 KB, 428 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

I also think that every RCGT car should have a number on each side of the car keeping it true to racing form.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I agree numbers should be a must have. Here are a couple more options for RCGT bodies made by PTI. The idea is just so cool, i can't wait till the weekend to race my RCCGT car!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Okay, the motor settings have been set to 27t / 17.5 with the "possibility" of having the 19T / 10.5 set ups for larger tracks like Blue Diamond. What about the NIMH/LiPo battery MAH limits? 42 OR 4600 MAH max for NIMH? ... 48 or 5000 MAH for max for LiPo? I think this is just as important as the standard motor limits.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DJ919
Okay, the motor settings have been set to 27t / 17.5 with the "possibility" of having the 19T / 10.5 set ups for larger tracks like Blue Diamond. What about the NIMH/LiPo battery MAH limits? 42 OR 4600 MAH max for NIMH? ... 48 or 5000 MAH for max for LiPo? I think this is just as important as the standard motor limits.
we have run open battery here. As lomng as it was 7.4 volts, i think it should be ok.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Got ya Charlie...That'll work ...I'm one for specs and rules, but not for the anal, excessive over-kill that eventually scares people away from the classes.

Last edited by DJ919; 10-08-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
Tech Champion

Damn, Charlie...that Furai is awesome and I believe one of them is Tony Phalen's

I dug thru my collection of Tamiya bodies last nite, and I found 2 that are perfect!! One didn't handle too well the last time I ran it, and the other has GLOBS of downforce and its carbon fiber Let's just say the 1:1 was built for 1 purpose - going fast and breaking a track record

I'll snap a couple of pics later, but I think I'm retiring the Ferrari idea and going with the "carbon fiber" wonder

Last edited by k_bojar; 10-08-2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Champion

you forgot this one:

and this

Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

k.BO...I'm thinking its going to be you, I and a few others pushing the RCGT at Rays big event on the 25th. I'll have a competitve RCGT set up ready to roll for that event. I really want to see this class flourish in our area, so I'm seriously concentrating on it. Dude between RCGT and Vintage, its going to be TOO much fun!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default RCGT

Howdy everyone...cool RCGT

Below is something we came up with a while back for the RCGT Class:

HPI Racing, Foothill Ranch, CA., announces the RCGT Class. The RCGT Class is designed to showcase 1/10 scale realistic GT/Touring car chassis and bodies in a competitive environment. The class also features realistic scale wheels, tires and accessories (GT style wings, mirrors, exhaust etc) to further enhance the scale realism.

RCGT HPI Challenge
-HPI Sport/Pro 2/3/4, E10, Sprint, Sprint 2; HB Cyclone chassis.
-HPI bodies only (no Stratus or Mazda 6 race bodies).
-HPI 26mm spoked wheels (no dish wheels)
-HPI #4790 X-Pattern Radial Tire 26mm M-Compound
-Kit Lexan wing (cut to stock cut line) or HPI plastic wing set only.
-27T/17.5 Motor Limit.
-6 cell NiMH or 2 cell LiPo 7.v volt battery limit.
-Chassis option parts allowed.

RCGT Open Challenge
-Any 1/10th scale 4WD Touring Car chassis.
-Any "realistic/scale" Touring Car/GT body (No "Race" bodies, Stratus, Mazda 6 etc.)
-Bodies should represent models that are runing or had been run in the Touring Car, GT2, GT1 classes in ALMS, LeMans, Speed Challenge etc.
-Any 26mm spoked wheels (no dish wheels)
-Suggested spec tires:
--HPI #4790 X-Pattern Radial Tire 26mm M-Compound (base spec tire)
--HPI #4495 X-Pattern Radial Belted Tire 26mm (belted tire, allows more speed)
--HPI #4490 X-Pattern Radial Belted Tire Pro Compound (belted and stickier compound for best performance)
-Kit Lexan wing (flat realistic wing if included) or Plastic realistic wing set(s) only (keeping in mind the spirit of realism of the class)
-27T/17.5 Motor Limit.
-6 cell NiMH or 2 cell LiPo 7.v volt battery limit.
-Chassis option parts allowed.

Keeping the spirit of the class, scale realism, the final decisions on specs should be decided by each local track/organiser and should reflect the local flavor of the track/racers.

Cheers,

AndyH
hpiracing USA

Here is a link to the article with pics etc:
http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008040701/
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
....and test everything before you make a decision
Point well taken, and can't argue with success....

I have always been the one to try stuff before any hard guidelines are etched in stone!

We still have a few outdoor demos left before the cold weather lets loose, so we'll use them to organize racers and come up with a solid plan for '09.

Of course, we (SJCCR) will post our findings/pics here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.