Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Hobbytown USA - St Charles, IL

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Bob Woodhouse - Are referring to the 1/18 scale or the newer 1/10 version and can they be run on a road course?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am sure I will spend more race time @ HTSC next year....my daughter is getting older and hope she can race with me as well...
Still like the idea GT3, Nitro Touring, and the Trans-Am Series...but make it 6 cells or 2 cells LIPO with 17.5 or 27T stock motor JUST to make sure it will be covered by everyone....

BTW...HTSC touphies are one of the nicest one....job well done.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
the Trans-Am Series...but make it 6 cells or 2 cells LIPO with 17.5 or 27T stock motor JUST to make sure it will be covered by everyone....
2008 season TA (we call it Vintage) was 6 cell or 2 cell lipo with 27t motor, nobody or not many ran BL that I can think of. Making it a 17.5/27t motor makes sense, a 13.5 might be fast but also might be hard to hook up with TA tires. Although with 6 cell 27t it was like real racing you had to go through different traction cycles from bad to good to ugly....

Next year many of us have bought NASCAR COT bodies and plan to run it with Vintage tires and a mabuchi style motor. I think another class that has some steam for next year is Tamiya minis. It was growing pretty quick by season end. Stock has always been 20T and above which has allowed the 13.5, 17.5, and 20T above motors. GT3 was fun but might be slowed by the Nascar class.

Thats about all I know.... electric....
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Would anyone consider running their Slash at Hobbytown next year?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile

I plan on running Tamiya mini , nascar cot, would have to think about the third.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 2009 classes

Everybody getting the itch to race outside again? Here is my four cents worth and a couple of questions...

I plan on racing stock touring car again but this time beating Jeff by 5 points I noticed that last year many people were running 13.5 brushless motors. Will that still be legal or do we go to 17.5?

Offroad class should be limited to 19 turn (brushed) or 13.5 brushless. Some of us were just going too fast last year to keep the racing close.

I'm up for a Slash class. This is super fun down at Leisure Hours. I would propose keeping the rules the same - everything stock. They limit batts to 3800 non-matched stick packs. Perhaps that should change for Hobbytown. I hated going out and buying stick packs when I'm trying to spend my money on newer technology LiPo's. Perhaps we could limit it to any NiMh batteries - that way we have something to do with all of our old ones when we upgrade our good packs

How about a few wooden jumps for all offroad vehicles? Wouldn't be too hard to lay down and take up but we may have to put up fences to keep the cars from flying into the spectators

What are the rules for the mini class? I was thinking of buying one of the race chassis and a body. Any limit on the chassis length? I assume motors would be the sealed silver stock Mabuchi or Johnson cans. What about batteries and speed controls?

cya'll soon
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Mark - It's good to hear from you. I support your ideas for the box stock class for the Slash with nimh batteries. I think whatever we can do to keep the price down. We've been running a Slash class at Hadley and we have basically done the same thing and the races a very close. The only exceptions the kids voted to allow were aluminum rear hub carriers and Proline bodies. I didn't think the aluminum parts were necessary, but with kids and racing indoors on carpet it's not a bad idea. But, with the aluminum they'll probably break something else. We have a couple of skateboard ramps that we use for a jump and that works well and they are easy to store because they stack up and don't take up much room. They're light.

Your suggestion for 19T or 13.5 motors is a good idea for off road.

Myself, John, Scott and Gary all ran silver can motors with nicads or nimh batteries in the Mini class it was a lot fun. I think it's a great class and there are some bargains out there on the internet for those cars. Also, HPI will becoming out with a new front wheel drive Mini before Spring.

I doubt that I'll be running stock. So you, Jeff and the other guys can discuss that.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Hi Mark,

Good to see you join the fray of thread posting.

Stock has always been explained as anything 20 turns and above for Hobbytown. Motor-wise 13.5/17.5/21.5 would be legal a 10.5 would not if you are going the BL route.

We are looking to also try another class which might interest you the others keep waffling about it but I am committed to it. So far we are calling it a NASCAR class using COT bodies, any silvercan/mabuchi style motor and Vintage tires. I know last year we ran Vintage with 6 cells 27t motors, seemed fun but a little too much torque for vintage tires. I think the NASCAR class will be perfect combo with Vintage tires. Plus people can paint the cool schemes from NASCAR and not look silly. I am thinking it would be a definate crowd pleaser. Silvercan motors tend to have lower torque, long life and should be good in speed. I say any silvercan because 15 turn motors out there which some showed up with in GT3, when I was not there, last year. Some of the lower turned motors even have a fan in them. The motors are around $20. Hackamoto and Traxxas stinger are the motors to look at for this class. Who knows, we remove a few boards and can run oval. . .

Mini with regular silvercan motors should also be fun this year. I do think we should limit it to Tamiya mini's and mini tire size, not sedan tires or size.

Slash I would agree on keeping it box stock or as close to that as possible. It would depend on parts support with batteries and motors.

So this years classes I am into are Stock/NASCAR/Mini

Last edited by A-Ko; 01-15-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Why not Trans Am?

You might get racers to show up from The Track, Strictly, Underground, Trackside, Indy Slots, Mishiwaka and Jtec if you ran the class.

From what I know about the chicago area, The Track, Underground and Strictly will all be racing TA in the warm months in 2009.....
Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
2009 Schedule:

May 16, 30
June 13,27
July 11, 25
Aug 8, 22
Sept 5, 19

Awards Pizza Party - Sept 26

Special Race - Elburn Race Days Aug 16

Thanks to Ken in getting the schedule EARLY! ! !
Will there be a Sportmans/Rookie class?
What about Drifting??
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Why not Trans Am?
We ran a 6 cell trans-am class last year and 1 person from your group showed. For the guys that were racing Hobbytown last year they prefer 6 cells/2C vs 4 cells. I did not make the rules, it was something I could participate in. If it went 4 cell, I would have skipped it. I went all lipo starting last summer.

As it goes with Hobbytown, if enough show up to create a class, they will run it. There were a few races that only had 2 to 3 participants they still ran the class. If enough guys TA show up with 4 cells, they will run it.

Originally Posted by milton6599
Will there be a Sportmans/Rookie class?
What about Drifting??
Sportsman/Rookie class, not as of yet. It is one of those things if people show to create that class, they will run it. Have not seen a demand for it and usually Rookies filter into the other classes. Drifting is the same way although I have not seen many run a drifting class. I would think an electric class that is either Slash, Mini, GT3 or NASCAR would be suitable. Gas/Nitro I would not recommend for starting out.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

We ran a 6 cell trans-am class last year and 1 person from your group showed. For the guys that were racing Hobbytown last year they prefer 6 cells/2C vs 4 cells. I did not make the rules, it was something I could participate in. If it went 4 cell, I would have skipped it. I went all lipo starting last summer.
Not to criticize, but there's no such thing as "six cell trans am". They were running stock rubber if they ran 27 turn motors with Lipo or six cells.

If your track management is interested they should look here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...acing-134.html

Check out my post #3995.

It compares lap times between Stock Rubber class and Trans Am class.

It would be great if HTSC jumped on the USVTA bandwagon.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Hey, BTW, would more local people see the HTSC thread if it were here on rctech:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ois-racing-11/

?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Not to criticize, but there's no such thing as "six cell trans am". They were running stock rubber if they ran 27 turn motors with Lipo or six cells.
Actually your right... We were calling it Vintage class using any pre 1980 body, 6 cell batteries, 27t motors and Vintage tires. Guys are aware of the Trans-Am series and chose to run something that took little effort to get into. Trans-Am does not run Lipo which could be a problem in the future. . .

Stock was totally different than Vintage. Vintage felt like real racing as far as the heat cycles with the tires during a race.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trans-Am does not run Lipo which could be a problem in the future. . .
TA does have a LiPo option and it's the most popular way most of the area racers are running these days.

the three powerplant options are:

27T, 4 cell NiMh
17.5 BL, 4 cell NiMh
21.5 (Novak SS only), with 7.4 LiPo

The rules for Trans Am can be found here:

http://usvintagetransam.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.