Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
SoCal Raceway~ >

SoCal Raceway~

SoCal Raceway~

Old 08-31-2001, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the compliments....the board is in continual change, so, check back every now and then. I'm trying to get as much helpful info out as possible. If you guys have any suggestions, let me know!!!

Actually, after every race I rebuild the motor (mod)...EVERY heat race, that is! got to keep it fast! Normal tools; small screwdriver, lathe, motorspray, soldering iron. Stock motors require a little more work...but, basically the tools I have listed on the site!

The washers. That's ANOTHER story. It is important as to where they go. The idea behind the washers is to center the arm in the magnetic field in the can. To do this, you need to shim the motor. Best way to do it....

1) Remove all shims
2) Slide arm into can, and replace the endbell
3) From the 'can' side, pull on the arm shaft. If it 'pulls' toward you, you need to shim that end until it pulls toward you a VERY LITTLE BIT...maybe 1/16 of an inch. You will need a tiny play, but as little as possible.
4) After shimming the 'can' side, replace the endbell.
5) From the 'can' side, PUSH the arm shaft up. If it 'pushes' up some, you will need to shim the endbell side. Again, you want a teeny tiny bit of play....as little as possible.

After you've done this, the motor will sit pretty close to center in the magnetic field. It sound kind of complicated, but, after a few times, it'll be totally simple.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-31-2001, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Tony,

Dude, your site is looking better every time I check it.

Hey, I want to buy an LRP quantum but I here they blow up. Any truth to this? Not that you could say, being sponsored by LRP and all, so I guess its a stupid question HUH!!! DOH!!!

Has Dave been racing lately? We were supposed to start going again but I haven't heard from him.

Dave A.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Dave!!!! What's up dood??? Thanks...working REAL hard to get alot of kewl info up on the site...every week there is just more and more and more and more and more stuff that I think should be there....trying to make it a combination of a bunch of different rc info sites....

It's getting there...

So far, I have 4 Quantums with absolutely NO problems (knocking on my wooden desk right now!!!!) I've heard people have problems with them, but I don't personally know any yet.

Unfortunately, there is no alternative if yer gonna buy a NEW LRP. At the upcoming Chicago show, AE is gonna have a talk with LRP Germany about these claims...so, who knows....maybe a re-release of the 7.1 or V6???

Nah...Murray hasn't been racing yet. I tried to get him out there last weekend, but, I guess something came up???!!! Oh well.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks man... It's getting harder and harder to part with my money for this hobby, especially when I hear about problems like that. I'm still waiting on batteries (Pro-Match).
I'm going to try to make it next week. I'll e-mail Murray Monday and try to get him out there.

late
Old 08-31-2001, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

C'mon Tony, come out and play with the other kids outdoors! Wait till those 39/40R tires come out from Sorex; and you thought the 36r was good

I ran the 36Rs at the Tamiya Endurance race and layed down 530 something laps with those tires and then only are they showing wear. We ran the same set the entire event. These tires are more than the flavor of the week!

Last edited by MDawson; 08-31-2001 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

I got a question about being sponsored. When you are sponsored by a ESC company does that mean you get all the ESC you need for free?

I was at Tamiya's TCS final, just to check out the race and the sales. And one of the people in the pro-section was wearing Novak T-shirt and has a "BOX" full of ESCs. And one of the guy in the race blow up his ESC or something and he just help him out and lend him(maybe give him) a brand new ESC. I don't know if he is being sponsored or maybe he is working for novak. He is pretty old I guess (30 or maybe 40 years of age). His car finished first in the first qualifiying run with no room for other's to catch up. He was extremely fast.

Wish I can have a box of ESCs, too. that will be great. No worry for not eating for about a week just to save up money to buy a new ESC for a new car. Sigh~~~
Old 08-31-2001, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default Sorex

MD > Sorex is coming out with a new tire? What type of track and temperature. Also, what inserts, rim and width are you running with your current Sorex's?

Anyone going to SoCal tomorrow. I will be there.

See you all there...
Old 08-31-2001, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

they are 40R even higher tempature than 36R, i have only one pair, i bought them from Asia. i haven't try them yet. i live in LA also.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

also, if anyone is interested in some Sorex tires, let me know. i can give you guys good deal on them. i also have a quantum esc with world option package. anyone interested?
Old 08-31-2001, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

ME, PM me, I will buy the 40r from you.

Yes, I am in LA.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

TRF- while sponsorship has it's definite ups, it also has it's definite downs!!!! There are certain levels of sponsorship, and, depending on your level dictates what you get for free and what you get at a discounted price. The guy at the event (I think I know who yer talking about) was there as a possible product support person. That's just my guess.

Mark, I'd love to, but, unfortunately, I have to work Sunday But, next Sunday I don't, so, I may come out and spank, I mean, race, with you guys....

AND, 530 laps??? H ly CRAP!!!! I knew these tires would rule....
Old 09-01-2001, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Tony,

where you at the TCS final??? The guy I was talking about has like very short grey hair. That's why I said that I think he is kinda old.

That guy's TA04 were sooo fast. In the lead all the way. Looking at that box of Novak ESC. Just makes me jealous. there were probably 20 or 30 new ESCs in there.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

what are the downs of being sponsored? I know if you are being sponsored you can not run some of the comapny events ( like TCS, HPI challeange).

what are other down-sides?
Old 09-01-2001, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

I got into RC because it was fun. It took my mind off of the rest of my life and gave me something fun to do. I was pretty competitive at it, and, like I'm sure everyone else has, wanted to be the best I could be.

Then I got sponsored. Now, let's start off by saying one thing. I ENJOY BEING SPONSORED. I AM IN NO WAY COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING SPONSORED. I WISH TO CONTINUE TO BE SPONSORED FOR AS LONG AS I CAN!!! Ok, that out of the way. Sponsorship brings a whole new world to racing. While it is still fun (99% of the time!), it tends to make you pressure yourself to do much better than you sometimes do. You want to make your sponsors happy, and that means doing well at races. A couple years back AE and Reedy sent me to a carpet race in Florida. I hate carpet. I've never really run on it, so it was a totally new experience to me. AE footed the bill there...all expenses paid. It was great. And I was gonna kick some butt!!! I was scheduled to run stock TC, and stock 1/12 scale. In practice, I decided to run a mod motor to get the feel for the track...no real reason, just wanted to go fast on carpet. My lap times were about 1/2 sec off of Pavidis' times. AE/Reedy asked if I wanted to run mod instead. HELL YA!!!! With those lap times!!!! Long story short, the track surface changed, I didn't know how to change the car, and ended up in the C or something like that. Totally blew out that weekend. While AE/Reedy didnt' really care (since they knew I TRIED as hard as I could to run on carpet), I felt like SH*T because of all that was spent on me and I sucked. That wasn't fun.

So, there are times where sponsorship can put pressures on you that you HAVE to be ready for. But, again, there is nothing better in the world than representing a killer company like AE/Reedy. They have been SOOOOOO good to me!!!! I love what I do...I love racing RC Cars. I'm good at it for an old man....and I won't stop until I'm a bitter old(er) fool with no teeth!!!! Ok, well, maybe I might stop before that....
Old 09-01-2001, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

TP,

Gee, and just to think I knew you when you were running that old Pro 2. Wow, how times have changed.

Even if you have the AE/Reedy ride, if we have space, we'll hold a pit spot for you......

####

I am still in it for the fun. That will not change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.