Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Fred,

For M chassis, the 60D Type A slicks are no longer around in 2018? Correct?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fred
Thanks for opening up the tire Rules for the Rookie Class!!!
Hopefully this will be my year to move up!!!
k_bojar likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i hope the reedy 21.5 doesn't go away for mini

any word on a schedule yet?
littlehonda14 and KA2AEV like this.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's curious that the mini motor rules "might be tweaked" at around the same time that Reedy just announced a new motor. It's shorter than the Mach 3, and the Mach 3 already has some interference issues with the solder tabs against the M07 chassis. This could be interesting to watch unfold.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I don’t think he was saying the Type A mini tire was no longer legal, but that there won’t be premount S-grips. We will have to build our own and we can use any insert. At least that’s the way I read it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
It's curious that the mini motor rules "might be tweaked" at around the same time that Reedy just announced a new motor. It's shorter than the Mach 3, and the Mach 3 already has some interference issues with the solder tabs against the M07 chassis. This could be interesting to watch unfold.
I don't think there's any conspiracy with helping Reedy/Team Associated make profits but I do think Tamiya/TamiyaUSA believe M-chassis to be a 'beginner' class. At the TCS fun race on 12/9 I heard Fred comment "look how fast these minis have become!" while announcing.

If Tamiya were modifying motor rules for profit they would private label a motor and mark it up as a requirement for TCS participants.

Really there's no reason to slow them down.

Since it is a relatively popular class in TCS and most everyone at Tamiya Saturdays has one to wheel around (I have no clue if it's a popular seller globally or in the USA though) the way to battle that is with different rules. For example 17.5 and 21.5 classes (can of worms, yes) fixed timing or open. Or 21.5 open timing spec motor and 21.5 fixed timing spec motor.

Of course folks will always claim that the motor wizards may always have an advantage in either class but leveling the racing field is what Fred is trying to do. I don't have enough talent to run with the top guys so it does not matter in my case but it sure is fun to watch them all battle it out for top 3 spots within 0.8s of each other!!!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tron
I don't think there's any conspiracy with helping Reedy/Team Associated make profits but I do think Tamiya/TamiyaUSA believe M-chassis to be a 'beginner' class. At the TCS fun race on 12/9 I heard Fred comment "look how fast these minis have become!" while announcing.

If Tamiya were modifying motor rules for profit they would private label a motor and mark it up as a requirement for TCS participants.

Since it is a relatively popular class in TCS and most everyone at Tamiya Saturdays has one to wheel around (I have no clue if it's a popular seller globally or in the USA though) the way to battle that is with different rules. For example 17.5 and 21.5 classes (can of worms, yes) fixed timing or open. Or 21.5 open timing spec motor and 21.5 fixed timing spec motor.

Of course folks will always claim that the motor wizards may always have an advantage in either class but leveling the racing field is what Fred is trying to do. I don't have enough talent to run with the top guys so it does not matter in my case but it sure is fun to watch them all battle it out for top 3 spots within 0.8s of each other!!!
I've got no issue with them partnering with Reedy. In fact, I'd prefer it over them picking their own in-house motor. The part that I find interesting is that the Reedy motors don't properly fit without shimming or cutting in the newly designed M07 chassis (a chassis that appears to have fitment issues with a lot of brushless motors).
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tron

Fred picked Reedy for good reasons. Reedy is the biggest motor manufacture currently, can keep up the stock level and easy to procure both online and in local hobby shops. The price is reasonable, quality is great, support is some of the best in business. I suspect the potential rule change might be due to Reedy changing motor design and potentially cause new drivers to unable to purchase a M3 motor in the near future. But regardless I think Fred had done a great job historically on drafting rules so I don't expect anything unreasonable this time around.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

REDRC just posted the new Reedy motors. They look great, although I fear there will be many Sonic M3 paper weights in 2018 should Tamiya allow these new motors.
k_bojar likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Fear not everyone in the M-Chassis class. We are going to continue to use the Reedy Mach 3 21.5 for one more season. Same rules as 2016 and 2017 regarding what you can do to it for the regional races. This will make the 3rd year in a row we use this good quality spec motor. I think keeping the motor rule consistent for 3 years is more than reasonable before moving onto the next iteration for 2019.

Note: Regarding the Tamiya 2018 TCS Finals...we will use the NEW FIXED Timing Reedy 21.5 Motor for this race, which you will have to purchase at the event. Furthermore, the Reedy representatives will ensure they are within specification. They will also ensure no one is "cooking" rotors to get crazy RPMS out of the motors.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

just need the schedule, fred and everyone will be happier (or not, hard to tell with racers )
Old 12-13-2017, 09:16 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

In regards to the new S-Plus motors...These are new high-end bleeding edge racing motors that take current ROAR rules to make spec motors faster than ever. Unfortunately, for those of you who partake in regular club racing, you may see a side effect that is not ideal. Every motor manufacture is trying to make their "spec class racing" motors faster. The current ROAR rules (unfortunately) has made it possible for manufactures to go really light weight in the construction of the stator and other parts. The result is very high RPM motors. The side effect are motors that have peak performance for a VERY short period of time. If you overheat them, they're toast. The longevity of these new lightweight motors will definitely vary from manufacturer. I'm already seeing longevity issues locally from motor manufactures that have had these lightweight motors on the market for the last few months.

Personally, I will use the S-Plus motor for the limited club racing I do locally. I tried a prototype 21.5 version earlier this year and it was FAST!!!

For TCS, Reedy's Fixed Timing motors are better suited in the future, beginning in the 2018 Nationals.
Tron and tobyzhang like this.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

R# DATE Location
231 January 28 RC Car World NJ
232 January 28 Hobbytown USA Fresno CA
233 February 17-18 Hobbytown USA/Hobbyplex NE
234 February 25 180 Raceway
235 March 4 RC Kinetics NY
236 March 25 Tamiya America Raceway CA
237 April 28-29 Access Hobbies OH
238 April 21 702 Raceway
239 May 20 RC Madness CT
240 May 20 TQ RC Raceway CA
241 June 24 NorCal Hobbies Or Revelation Raceway
242 July 22 Galaxy Hobby WA
243 July 29 Brownies Hobbies @ Jackson RC NJ
NAT August 18-19 Tamiya America Raceway CA
k_bojar, KA2AEV and NutDriver like this.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Those are some massive cut outs on the new reedy motor. Eventually the stator is going to be naked
Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Those are some massive cut outs on the new reedy motor. Eventually the stator is going to be naked
Like the SMC Lowrider?
Raman likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.