Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
So it just dawned on me that Hibeki has been very quiet during all of this.
He must be tuning up the wambulance for a banzai run.
On another note, I have a high level of confidence that come race#1 a lot of the whiners on here will be on the grid.
Yes you read it right, I think all of this crying about quitting is BS
I will put $50 on it I am that confident
I'd like some of that action too! You can just Paypal me.

Oh wait, do I have to whine about the rules first to be eligible?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The RPM limit for Mini says "TBD" still. Does anyone have any more info? Not much time for me to figure out how to make a good motor!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
The RPM limit for Mini says "TBD" still. Does anyone have any more info? Not much time for me to figure out how to make a good motor!
caII 1 800 RED DOT!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 414MPH
caII 1 800 RED DOT!
I'm sure that's where I'll end up after I disappoint myself with my heap of staple-encrusted 540Js!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Interesting that they're going to test at 7.2 volts now.

Wonder what that's all about.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Open letter to all our TCS racers,

Today I wanted to openly communicate to everyone our mission statement in regards to the purpose of the Tamiya Championship Series (TCS).

TCS is designed to accomplish three main objectives. In no particular order they are:

1. Provide the TCS host site (Hobby shops) marketing and sales tools to help and better promote their racing program that supports TAMIYA based products.
2. Provide Tamiya brand awareness to new and existing customers that patron the hobby shop.
3. Provide the fairest and most economical racing structure to TAMIYA customers.

You may ask yourself, which one of the three objectives is our priority. The answer is ALL of them. There are three groups that the TCS series relies on to be successful and all of them have their perspective and rightfully so. The host hobby shop wants a TCS race to market their store and sell Tamiya kits. If they are not selling Tamiya kits why have a TCS race right? Tamiya uses the TCS Series to better brand its kits as a great way to have fun racing with friends and family. If weíre not selling kits/spare and option parts why have a race series. The customer wants to have fun and they wan to have fun in an economic way. This is more true in the current world situation. They also want to be part of a series thatís fair. So, as we can all see, everyone has their respective priority.

My job as the caretaker of the series is to balance the 3 objectives. Is that easy? No!! Is everything perfect? Of course not, but at the end of the day we look to bring a balance to everyoneís objectives.

For the 2011 TCS season we have some great classes being offered.
F-1
Mini
FWD (front drive)
GT-1
GT-2
Spec Novice GT

Weíve had our share of controversy regarding motor fairness with Mini and other classes that use the 540-J. However, the RPM rules and the things we do for the TCS Finals have all proven to be the best level playing field for the past few years. Is it perfect no, but nobody can argue the Finals arenít the fairest level playing field period!

The GT classes are a mess and itís not just the TCS GT classes. Itís all on-road racing. The advent of the brushless motor was the best thing to happen in our hobby, but it has also had its share of controversy. The promise of fair power loomed over our hobby, but as we all know, manufactures and racers love to push technology and that often leads to higher costs of racing.

The boost technology in speed controls is often referred to as ďunfairĒ. Itís not unfair, it is technology moving forward at the cost of making the learning curve that much higher for the average hobbyist. The higher learning curve has driven racers away. The TCS race series is supposed to be accessible to new and seasoned users. Boost has proven to a large percentage of our customer base that isnít the case. Brushless motor technology was supposed to let racers have more time to work on car set-ups and remove the stress of finding more power. Boost has to some degree shifted our time back to motor set ups.

In recent months we have seen a shift to bring back some of the promise that we all thought brushless motors would bring. Many tracks and clubs are going to a ďZEROĒ boost formula. This has also brought its share of controversy as we have seen in certain Las Vegas events. The speed control manufactures are going to force racing clubs and racing series to adopt a ďone brandĒ solution. Iíve been saying this for over a year and certain scandals, non-intentional or otherwise, continue to prove my point. Some clubs have already done this.
What is the definition of Zero boost? The speed control manufactures canít even agree on that. LRP has an open letter to all the manufactures and race organizing bodies that they want to offer up a definition. Why does ROAR have an approved ďZEROĒ boost speed control list when the manufactures canít even agree what Zero really is? I find it funny. Some of you have been playing with your cars at the Tamiya track with speed controls on that list. I think some of you must believe Iím that naÔve, but I can tell when the LRP SPX, in a supposed Zero profile, is clearly exhibiting 2nd gear boost. Iím not blind guys! I see you lifting at the end of the straight and I can clearly see the torque coming out of the corners. If I use an ďapprovedĒ sanctioning bodies list, everyone will scream bloody murder when they rediscover that some speed controls have a little extra compared to others. You guys should know yourselves by now.

We have been examining three possible solutions for the 2011 TCS season.
1. Zero boost for all brushless classes and use the ROAR approved list.
2. Use the new Tamiya Brushless motors and speed controls.
3. Pick one manufactures combo spec brushless package to be the sole system for the TCS GT classes for the next 2-3 years including Finals.

What are the repercussions to the three options?
1. The ROAR list is still going to cause controversy because racers will begin to figure out not everything on that list is really the same.
2. While the Tamiya system would offer consistency, it does have draw backs. They are not available yet and the season starts in 6 weeks! The systems are only viable for some of the TCS classes too. So far all the new motors we offer are way too fast for the Front Drive class. Then thereís price point?
3. We chose one brand and everyone may have to pick up a new system. Is that ideal? No, but you canít have it both ways. If we want fair then adjustments have to be made, but if you want to roll the dice and go off a suspect approved list, then donít say I didnítí warn you when you guys are starting to buy different speed controls to catch up to the guys that already figured it out.

Whatever decision is made it will be made based on the three objectives I outlined at the beginning of this letter; whatís best for the hobby shop, whatís best for Tamiya to grow the series and whatís most economical and fair for the racing hobbyist.

I apologize the motor decisions have not been made yet. We have been trying to test all possible solutions and this has taken more time than anticipated. The last word regarding 2011 motor rules will be posted December 14, 2010.

This is all I have to say on the matter. Have a great Christmas holiday and I thank all of you for your continued support of the Tamiya Championship Series.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
...and I thank all of you for your continued support of the Tamiya Championship Series.
...and a great series it is, regardless of class, venue or rules. It's the spirit of the series that resonates so well with racers, new and old alike.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
...and a great series it is, regardless of class, venue or rules. It's the spirit of the series that resonates so well with racers, new and old alike.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Fred,

One option you did not mention is the USVTA rule and list of ESC's

All the ESC's on that list are non adjustable speedo's and from all the racing thats been happening with the new rule there has been no clear difference from all the one's on the list. It really has been a level playing field.

Please take a look at the list or contact Robk to go over his research.

Just an idea.

Thanks again for great series and proving once again that you do hear what the people that support Tamiya are saying and try to do what is best for all involved.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Fred-
Very well put. We will have a crew of Roadrunners coming down to support the series no matter the final decision.

...but I vote for option 3.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Fred,

Very weII stated sir. Your Iogic and insight are difficuIt to argue with and shouId resuIt in a set of ruIes we can aII Iive with for two years. We now have additionaI proof that TAMIYA and Fred in particuIar do Iisted to everyone, no matter where they may reside.

KUDO's to Fred, TAMIYA and TCS!

I for one can wait 4 more days for the finaI motor/speedo specs.

ImpatientIy waiting a few additionaI days....
Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

GO TAMIYA!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I'd like some of that action too! You can just Paypal me.

Oh wait, do I have to whine about the rules first to be eligible?
Uh yeah, and lets face it Bill, you know you will go to at least one race, because the withdrawl symptoms are unbearable
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FMW
Open letter to all our TCS racers,

Today I wanted to openly communicate to everyone our mission statement in regards to the purpose of the Tamiya Championship Series (TCS).

TCS is designed to accomplish three main objectives. In no particular order they are:

1. Provide the TCS host site (Hobby shops) marketing and sales tools to help and better promote their racing program that supports TAMIYA based products.
2. Provide Tamiya brand awareness to new and existing customers that patron the hobby shop.
3. Provide the fairest and most economical racing structure to TAMIYA customers.

You may ask yourself, which one of the three objectives is our priority. The answer is ALL of them. There are three groups that the TCS series relies on to be successful and all of them have their perspective and rightfully so. The host hobby shop wants a TCS race to market their store and sell Tamiya kits. If they are not selling Tamiya kits why have a TCS race right? Tamiya uses the TCS Series to better brand its kits as a great way to have fun racing with friends and family. If weíre not selling kits/spare and option parts why have a race series. The customer wants to have fun and they wan to have fun in an economic way. This is more true in the current world situation. They also want to be part of a series thatís fair. So, as we can all see, everyone has their respective priority.

My job as the caretaker of the series is to balance the 3 objectives. Is that easy? No!! Is everything perfect? Of course not, but at the end of the day we look to bring a balance to everyoneís objectives.

For the 2011 TCS season we have some great classes being offered.
F-1
Mini
FWD (front drive)
GT-1
GT-2
Spec Novice GT

Weíve had our share of controversy regarding motor fairness with Mini and other classes that use the 540-J. However, the RPM rules and the things we do for the TCS Finals have all proven to be the best level playing field for the past few years. Is it perfect no, but nobody can argue the Finals arenít the fairest level playing field period!

The GT classes are a mess and itís not just the TCS GT classes. Itís all on-road racing. The advent of the brushless motor was the best thing to happen in our hobby, but it has also had its share of controversy. The promise of fair power loomed over our hobby, but as we all know, manufactures and racers love to push technology and that often leads to higher costs of racing.

The boost technology in speed controls is often referred to as ďunfairĒ. Itís not unfair, it is technology moving forward at the cost of making the learning curve that much higher for the average hobbyist. The higher learning curve has driven racers away. The TCS race series is supposed to be accessible to new and seasoned users. Boost has proven to a large percentage of our customer base that isnít the case. Brushless motor technology was supposed to let racers have more time to work on car set-ups and remove the stress of finding more power. Boost has to some degree shifted our time back to motor set ups.

In recent months we have seen a shift to bring back some of the promise that we all thought brushless motors would bring. Many tracks and clubs are going to a ďZEROĒ boost formula. This has also brought its share of controversy as we have seen in certain Las Vegas events. The speed control manufactures are going to force racing clubs and racing series to adopt a ďone brandĒ solution. Iíve been saying this for over a year and certain scandals, non-intentional or otherwise, continue to prove my point. Some clubs have already done this.
What is the definition of Zero boost? The speed control manufactures canít even agree on that. LRP has an open letter to all the manufactures and race organizing bodies that they want to offer up a definition. Why does ROAR have an approved ďZEROĒ boost speed control list when the manufactures canít even agree what Zero really is? I find it funny. Some of you have been playing with your cars at the Tamiya track with speed controls on that list. I think some of you must believe Iím that naÔve, but I can tell when the LRP SPX, in a supposed Zero profile, is clearly exhibiting 2nd gear boost. Iím not blind guys! I see you lifting at the end of the straight and I can clearly see the torque coming out of the corners. If I use an ďapprovedĒ sanctioning bodies list, everyone will scream bloody murder when they rediscover that some speed controls have a little extra compared to others. You guys should know yourselves by now.

We have been examining three possible solutions for the 2011 TCS season.
1. Zero boost for all brushless classes and use the ROAR approved list.
2. Use the new Tamiya Brushless motors and speed controls.
3. Pick one manufactures combo spec brushless package to be the sole system for the TCS GT classes for the next 2-3 years including Finals.

What are the repercussions to the three options?
1. The ROAR list is still going to cause controversy because racers will begin to figure out not everything on that list is really the same.
2. While the Tamiya system would offer consistency, it does have draw backs. They are not available yet and the season starts in 6 weeks! The systems are only viable for some of the TCS classes too. So far all the new motors we offer are way too fast for the Front Drive class. Then thereís price point?
3. We chose one brand and everyone may have to pick up a new system. Is that ideal? No, but you canít have it both ways. If we want fair then adjustments have to be made, but if you want to roll the dice and go off a suspect approved list, then donít say I didnítí warn you when you guys are starting to buy different speed controls to catch up to the guys that already figured it out.

Whatever decision is made it will be made based on the three objectives I outlined at the beginning of this letter; whatís best for the hobby shop, whatís best for Tamiya to grow the series and whatís most economical and fair for the racing hobbyist.

I apologize the motor decisions have not been made yet. We have been trying to test all possible solutions and this has taken more time than anticipated. The last word regarding 2011 motor rules will be posted December 14, 2010.

This is all I have to say on the matter. Have a great Christmas holiday and I thank all of you for your continued support of the Tamiya Championship Series.
Fred,
I know this might sound crazy here, but what about just running "Silver Cans" for all classes GT1, GT2, FWD, Mini, Spec, F1???? I know there a few of us that know how to tweak the motors but if you had your RPM Limits it would should even out the playing field in all classes and as you put it we really had some "awesome " racing at this years Nationals in all classes when you had the "Handout Motors" ??? I think it would be really neat to see 417,416, TAO5, TBO3, FF03 etc,etc, all running "Silver Cans" it would take the "Turbo Boost ESC's out of the equation???
Either way I will support what ever you come up with? you know I have been a LONG TIME TCS SUPPORTER since the beginning!
I appreciate your commitment to the series it's been an awesome series over the years!
Steve.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks for listening Fred.

In my short time being a Tamiya racer you have ALWAYS considered all sides to all controversies and when it comes down to making the final decision they have ALWAYS been rational, even if it does not please everyone, no one can argue that it wasn't in search of fairness to all.

GTB works for me.

Motors? Hmmmm. timing on said motors? Aw man, there we go.

I'm sure we're all glad we don't have to decide or answer for or even worse, tech the stuff.
Tough job you got there but we have confidence in you sir.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.