Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Two year lockin.. thats a lot of practice and racing. and takes a lot of guess work out whats the hot setup. and buying multiple flavors of units in the search. we already went down that path. just remind ourselves why we are here today. yes, its about price.. over and over and over again..

TCS is partly about 'Tamiya giving back to their supporters'. Im sure Tamiya will be added to 'the list' and allowed elsewhere. Will it be 'as fast'? no one knows. that shoudlnt change anything.. just pop in your 'fast units' that you searched high and low for already...

This is about TCS.. plain and simple.

i think once everyone tries it, has FUN and walks away with smiles, we will see this system longer than two years.. could be the new 'silver can' of Brushless Tamiya TCS racing.. Silver cans were around forever cause they were fair and fun.. and NO ONE raced them anywhere else but at Tamiya events that i know of..

$0.02
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
yes, its about price.. over and over and over again..

TCS is partly about 'Tamiya giving back to their supporters'.
What exactly is 'Tamiya giving back to their supporters'? I have forgotten.

Sometimes we have to take our Blue blinders off and see that the TCS is a business advertising vehicle to promote the product.

I remember the first few years of TCS in Laurel, MD. No lie, every single entry got a Tamiya Prize, some sort of tool, towel, poster, etc. By the end of the day, everyone was promoting Tamiya products to the walkers by and spectators. total promotional event! I didn't care, who doesn't like free stuff?

Tamiya USA has been very lucky to have assembled a great group of racers across the nation who have formed great friendships. The TCS social aspect is off the charts. very lucky for Tamiya as there is no other Race Series similar.

I am a little bit sad that I won't be a part of this anymore.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

As William Bendix used to say "What a revolting development this is".

It takes real genius to get things this screwed up. Not complaining or whining, just making an observation. Fortunately, the classes I like are the Silvercan classes, so won't be affected much, but I sure feel for you brushless guys. Sometimes getting what ya'll wished for isn't all tat it's cracked up to be.

We have brushless motors everywhere and things have never been this screwed up. Good luck guys, I need to clean the comm on my Silvercan ($15).
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Markus
What exactly is 'Tamiya giving back to their supporters'? I have forgotten.
where else do you get to race for free with your friends? not just race, but race for a a lil bit of a return (however small) in Tamiya goodness if you podium. and for all the DieHards, the boat ride..

i dont know of any other MFG/Sanction/Affiliation that is doing that..

and imagine, they used to 'give' more back in the day as you stated..
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Silver cans were around forever cause they were fair and fun.. and NO ONE raced them anywhere else but at Tamiya events that i know of..

$0.02
Not true Orlando. If it were, silvercans would have died long ago.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Questions??

Originally Posted by Granpa
Not true Orlando. If it were, silvercans would have died long ago.

they were not fair and fun?? i thought they were till recent years when all the trickery started appearing.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

where else do you get to race for free with your friends? not just race, but race for a a lil bit of a return (however small) in Tamiya goodness if you podium. and for all the DieHards, the boat ride..
I'll give you that, I agree. I check all those off my list except for the boat ride
I usually qualify to go to the big finish (I know big deal, top 10), but never committed to the trip to Cali. (I'll dream on as usual).

OSherman, you must be a Cali racer? Where I race, it's not TCS every week so for me it does come down to the money. I only see B3 tires the week before TCS and during TCS. Heck, the only Tamiya's I usually see are a few 416's. So like many racers across the USA the TCS is a one day/weekend race a year. Then afterward, all the Tamiya products go into a box until the next time.
It's hardly free. add up the tires/bodies just to accommodate the Tamiya rules for one day of free racing. This only applies to me since I weekly race with different brand car, boosted esc, Jaco Blues, and protoform bodies (these would be my usual expenses).

Good luck to all TCS racers... Best wishes, may you find your way to Japan.

Unsubscribing from this thread.

Last edited by Markus; 12-07-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Markus
I'll give you that, I agree. I check all those off my list except for the boat ride
I usually qualify to go to the big finish (I know big deal, top 10), but never committed to the trip to Cali. (I'll dream on as usual).

OSherman, you must be a Cali racer? Where I race, it's not TCS every week so for me it does come down to the money. I only see B3 tires the week before TCS and during TCS. Heck, the only Tamiya's I usually see are a few 416's. So like many racers across the USA the TCS is a one day/weekend race a year. Then afterward, all the Tamiya products go into a box until the next time.
It's hardly free. add up the tires/bodies just to accommodate the Tamiya rules for one day of free racing. This only applies to me since I weekly race with different brand car, boosted esc, Jaco Blues, and protoform bodies (these would be my usual expenses).

Good luck to all TCS racers... Best wishes, may you find your way to Japan.

Unsubscribing from this thread.
Yup, Cali Racer here.. but i dont really 'race'... havent been to a ROAR/NORRCA/Reedy race in YEARS. Nor do i race at the local (40+ miles away) tracks.. i just like to play at Tamiya. And shoot for the boat ride. gotta get my RC fix somehow, and Tamiya is what is best for me now.

I've done other series in the past, and they all had similar 'flavors of the month' issues.. I think Tamiya is taking a good approach.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Am I the only long-time Tamiya TCS participant who is completely unsurprised at these proceedings?

Yep...thought not.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What else do we all have to do during the holidays?

Originally Posted by rccardr
Am I the only long-time Tamiya TCS participant who is completely unsurprised at these proceedings?

Yep...thought not.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Silver cans were around forever cause they were fair and fun.. and NO ONE raced them anywhere else but at Tamiya events that i know of.. $0.02
That is a pretty broad brush for $0.02.

There are 4 tracks in my area that support GT3. I am sure many others around the country that are not mainstream or even visit RCtech. Just because they are not in your area does not mean they are not around.

Track #1 gets enough for A-B-main racing, roughly 12 or more. They race 10 3 min mains with no breaks. They were running Sport tuned but my friends and I are convincing them to run silver cans. Not to promote voodoo motors, which we are not running, just affordable racing. They don't wish to grow and attract more than 20. The last race my motor was cool and their BLK cans were stinkin.

Track #2 has about 20 kids that run silvercans and about 10 adults that run it too, in addition to many other classes for 15 race calendar days.

Track #3-4 runs it over the summer usually around 1/2 dozen.

Track #5 There is a race series in the area that if we show up with 5 it is a class. Talked to at least 5 that have ran GT3 in TCS and they are interested for 2011.

Tamiya BL is not going to help anything except kill the GT classes, yep I said it. Sure they are locking it in for 2 years. You ever notice with car releases 1st year it is new, 2nd year it is raced, after the 3rd year it disappears. That is my $0.02 with the Tamiya BL system.

If I did not have a M03 or F104 I would be done with TCS. . ."and NO ONE raced them anywhere else but at Tamiya events that i know of.." . . .

I might goto Grandpa's and clean SC motors with him.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

they were not fair and fun?? i thought they were till recent years when all the trickery started appearing.
No, the part I was disagreeing with was the Silvercan only being raced in the TCS series. They are still raced all over the place. I agree with you on the trickery, but for the most part it's been fairly well controlled with handout motors and rpm limits.

Silvercans would have disappeared if the only ones using them were TCS racers. They are still raced for the reasons you stated plus they are cheap and will last a whole season if maintained.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A-Ko
That is a pretty broad brush for $0.02.

There are 4 tracks in my area that support GT3. I am sure many others around the country that are not mainstream or even visit RCtech. Just because they are not in your area does not mean they are not around.

Track #1 gets enough for A-B-main racing, roughly 12 or more. They race 10 3 min mains with no breaks. They were running Sport tuned but my friends and I are convincing them to run silver cans. Not to promote voodoo motors, which we are not running, just affordable racing. They don't wish to grow and attract more than 20. The last race my motor was cool and their BLK cans were stinkin.

Track #2 has about 20 kids that run silvercans and about 10 adults that run it too, in addition to many other classes for 15 race calendar days.

Track #3-4 runs it over the summer usually around 1/2 dozen.

Track #5 There is a race series in the area that if we show up with 5 it is a class. Talked to at least 5 that have ran GT3 in TCS and they are interested for 2011.

Tamiya BL is not going to help anything except kill the GT classes, yep I said it. Sure they are locking it in for 2 years. You ever notice with car releases 1st year it is new, 2nd year it is raced, after the 3rd year it disappears. That is my $0.02 with the Tamiya BL system.

If I did not have a M03 or F104 I would be done with TCS. . ."and NO ONE raced them anywhere else but at Tamiya events that i know of.." . . .

I might goto Grandpa's and clean SC motors with him.
Im just speaking and going by what i see in my lil hole of an RC community... i dont travel... and only read whats popular here on RC Tech (the same ones that are voting yay and nay) if others see a problem, let them voice their opinions like WE are.. conversation rules the nation..
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here's a little side story about how we kept the silver can racing fair at our big annual race last weekend...

Handout motors were brand-new 540Js straight out of the box with a tamper-evident tech label applied, handed out just before the race so there was no time to do anything to them.

After qualifying, everyone pulled their motor, put it back in the box, and wrote their name on the box.

Right before the mains, everyone chose a motor, with the last qualifier choosing first, etc., so naturally the bottom three picked the top three's motors, and the top three ended up with the bottom three's motors.

Guess what? At the end of the day the top three were still the top three.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im just speaking and going by what i see in my lil hole of an RC community... i dont travel... and only read whats popular here on RC Tech (the same ones that are voting yay and nay) if others see a problem, let them voice their opinions like WE are.. conversation rules the nation..
I thought you were well traveled from your stylin ways at the Nats.
Forget everything I said. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.