Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
BP SHADOW - What makes you think these rules will be in effect for 2-3 yearsa or more?
Oh and look what I found on the TCS page on the TA website!
and I quote
"New for 2011:

Due to current trends in on-road racing, the TCS series will adapt a single brand brushless speed control and motor solution for the “touring car” classes. This will affect GT-1, GT-2 and FWD. This solution will be in place for a minimum of two seasons, including the TCS North American Finals, with the option of a third season. The solution we are implementing will be “locked in” and the investment will be kept to a minimum to the participants. The same speed control and motor you buy for the 2011 season will be used at a minimum for two complete seasons.

Pre-mount tires will be used for Mini, FWD, GT-1 and GT-2 for all regional races. See rules for exact details about carpet track exemptions.

The “spec” brushless speed control and motor will be the “SENSORED” type."
IMaybe I should have just let you think I had an in with TPTB
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Thanks. I stand corrected.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Almost forgot. Also mentioned at the informal "meeting" at Aliso this past Saturday in addition to "we'll look into it" and "we do listen" was something that will gratify the hearts and the very depths of the brushless crowds souls. "I HATE SILVERCAN RACING" was also mentioned. That should stir the pot a little.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

As more of a casual TCS racer on a tighter budget(I normally do the 2 events in my area in a reasonable distance), I would hate to see GT1 be "locked in" to a 1 motor/esc spec combo, that would pretty much kill me from TCS. To have to buy a "spec" motor and esc for the class that is traditionally the most unrestricted of them all to run twice a year, when the esc I currently have been using (castle) for the past year (and well into the future) will run stock, mod and any other "spec" BL class you can concoct (and I highly doubt the tamiya combo will be anywhere as good/flexible as the castle/tekin/lrp/whatever systems that everyone already has, if I was trying to justify buying the new combo)

If the intent is to slow down the GT classes, why not just go with the ROAR sportsman esc list? Then peoples investment is truly kept to a minimum(ie not having to buy an esc just for tcs). These esc's either have no dynamic timing, or a profile with an indicator that can be easily teched in a few seconds.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Non-boosted 17.5 geared to go slow was still a little faster than a 21.5. Easy, managable speed. Temps were 115-120F after 20+ minute runs However, if the 17.5 were to be geared with a racier gear ratio, then all bets are off and it's going to be significantly faster.

will bring some gears to try... im almost thinking kit gearing will be awesome.. just a thought.. may be a brain fart..
Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up lockin...

With as many years as the 'silver can' has been around.. i could see a spec brushless being around for 4 years or so, possibly lonnger.. silver can stayed around cause it was FUN, till all the tricky business took over.. get a FUN brushless combo, it will survive..

$0.02
Old 11-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
If the intent is to slow down the GT classes, why not just go with the ROAR sportsman esc list? Then peoples investment is truly kept to a minimum(ie not having to buy an esc just for tcs). These esc's either have no dynamic timing, or a profile with an indicator that can be easily teched in a few seconds.
That makes too much sense Gee. . .

Although it seems "sense" is not where Tamiya's pasture is right now.

The series is said to be a "thank you" to the customers who have been loyally supporting Tamiya's products. In my eyes they should be giving away BL systems and tires to me for the amount of kits I have sold by running my Tamiya cars locally. In doing that, it would not make any "sense" or be good for their business. Tamiya would rather make their "thank you" into breaking the backs and pockets of loyal enthusiasts. The hobby and series that is already expensive enough under trying times. Now it has just turned the corner. Sure guys talk about 2 years of using the same technology. Heck, they tried doing that with batteries and cannot hold to that deal.

Some of my friends who have been in the series since the dawn are already looking into the sunset due killing their options as Gee has even stated well. Would a spec BL system be great, sure if it was released. Would spec tires be great, sure if racers could use up their old tires from previous years. If I had to buy new tires, I would buy the spec.

Perhaps guys who made the rules only run on TTT and don't venture out of their hallows to see what other tracks run. Logically I would not buy a BL system that has no merit on another track or in any form of ruling.

If I had to make the call I would have made a GT class BL Tamiya, FF03 BL Tamiya and open the doors to a Roar GT class and even keep GT3 around. Believe it or not there are guys I know that still run GT3 in either SC or Black canned configuration. Maybe the BL obsessed, since they cannot claim GT3, they howl like a coyote and then have to squash it like a bug.

Coop
Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Canada's rules look pretty interesting and they are not complaining. On thier forums.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

the TCS 'rules preview' is currently down...

Maybe there are new rule adjustments being made... hopefully.

I've run in the TCS since 98' and have the right chassis, bodies per which ever GT class I run that year, non dished wheels, ballistic or lrp motors, from previous years. I've complied all the way.
Now a $150 -$180 BL system to run in a GT class??? Guess I'll post my TB03R in the classifieds like everyone else.

Yeppie. One class this year for me, Mini! or maybe why bother?

TCS is doing a better job of turning current TCS racers away than they are re-growing this race series.
Or Tamiya has figured out a way to remove the old (I'm included) whiny TCS racers from yester-year. Who are detrimental anyway.
either way, great job Tamyia. -1 old whiny tcs racer here.

Last edited by Markus; 11-02-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I still say cirtix esc is the way to go with standardize brushless motor brand.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

2011 season ru1es were updated today. We now have proof that Fred does 1isten to those outside of Ca1ifornia.

If I were king of the wor1d, I wou1d spec a sing1e roar approved brush1ess motor for each of the sedan c1asses and one spec speedo for FWD and GT-2 with an open speedo spec for GT-1. (see examp1es os suggestions be1ow)

FWD
Novak 21.5
Novak GTB

GT-2
Novak 17.5
Novak GTB

GT-1
Novak 17.5
open speedo

But hey, that's just me thinking it would be good to spec fami1iar, known quantity, equipment that can be used in genera1 c1ub racing and has a 1ife outside of TCS a1so.

I watched c1ose1y over the years as the changes imp1imented in Vintage Trans-Am were scrutinized and then s1ow1y adopted to prove to be just what the series needed.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry but the permount tire are dumb...
Its going to be fun running B3 tires on cold track....Going to be fun in FF03 are there going to premounted A's
Is Tamiya taking all the guess work out of setup and racing??Not everyone sets up there cars the same,
and Yes the permounts work at the Tamiya track, but what about Memphis in track temp of 120,or a Maryland with indoor?? tracks are different.
I can deal with the BL system[ don't like to] but please let us have the parts to setup the cars,TIRES!!!!!!!!
And saw this Mini fwd has to run a fwd body??? are m05's sold with rwd bodys???? mine started as a 280ZX body,according to the rules I can't run it,Bummer!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Costs "a bit more" ? Looks like it is going to more than a "bit". So when everyone goes "spec", what will be the next reason / excuse people will use for getting beat ? It's not fair that he practices more..... he is spending more....he runs new tires every run ? Sadly, you hardly hear people at the track anymore say they got beat because "he outdrove me" or "he can set-up a car better than me".
If you want to limit costs, allow 2 sets of tires for quals and first main, for triple mains allow one more set.

As far as new motor rules, Tamiya brushless motor set $200.00. I spent more than that in GT2 the last two years on ESC's (SPX Stock, Tekin). $200.00 for motor and ESC guaranteed for two years sounds good to me. For my sons GT3 I spent 50.00 on 2x motors and 50.00 on ESC for two years that would be $150.00 (4x motors + ESC). Tires, wheels and inserts about 35.00 a set last year, sounds like this will be close to the cost of the pre-mounts.

I cannot address what other people use for reasons that they lost, I only know my own - "He's a better driver"
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
"I HATE SILVERCAN RACING" was also mentioned.
I am going to make big money printing t shirts with that on the front. Granpa, you get 1/2 the money so you can buy a BL setup

Originally Posted by 414MPH
2011 season ru1es were updated today. We now have proof that Fred does 1isten to those outside of Ca1ifornia......

I watched c1ose1y over the years as the changes imp1imented in Vintage Trans-Am were scrutinized and then s1ow1y adopted to prove to be just what the series needed.
Marty I will donate from my profits to you a keyboard with a working "L" key
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
2011 season ru1es were updated today.
Where? The ru1es 1ink on the TCS homepage doesn't work. Which ru1es were updated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.