Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
You are so wrong Doc. The powers that be (TPTB) don't listen to anyone, except a select few. The crowd at Aliso may learn about "stuff" earlier so they react quicker, but we are as out in the cold as anyone else. Where some of this stuff TPTB come up with are as much a frustration and mystery to us as it is to you.

We have as many GT3 cars on the shelf or F103s gathering dust as everyone else. Most of us here are just happy that Tamiya lets us run at this fine facility and puts on the TCS series. But, then again, it could just be me.
With all due respect Granpa, why are the GT3 cars doomed to the shelf?
They did open up GT2 to all TA05 and TB03 variants after all.
As far as the 103, I have a collection of them, and they are great cars, but the design is 15+ years old, it is time to embrace the new product and make it work as well or better than the 103.
As far as how they arrive with the current product, a lot of it probably comes down to licensing agreements, they run out ove time , and if it is too expensive to renew, then the product goes bye bye.
It is a hard pill to swallow to put a perfectly good car ro rest because of a rule change, but at this point it is what it is
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
With all due respect Granpa, why are the GT3 cars doomed to the shelf?
They did open up GT2 to all TA05 and TB03 variants after all.
As far as the 103, I have a collection of them, and they are great cars, but the design is 15+ years old, it is time to embrace the new product and make it work as well or better than the 103.
As far as how they arrive with the current product, a lot of it probably comes down to licensing agreements, they run out ove time , and if it is too expensive to renew, then the product goes bye bye.
It is a hard pill to swallow to put a perfectly good car ro rest because of a rule change, but at this point it is what it is
My fault entirely, but I think you missed the point of my post. I was mainly trying to address the point that the Aliso "crowd" was somehow being catered to with the rules changes. Not true and that we have as many challenges to adapt to the new rules as those in the "rest of the USA". Also was trying to point out that I was gratified that Tamiya lets us use their facility and puts on the TCS Series.

I was in no way "whining" or complaining about the new rules. If you gleaned that from my post, my apologies cause that was not my intention at all. Now as far as GT3 is concerned, some of the Aliso crowd lament it's passing, as do some in the rest of the country. That also holds true for the F103 as well. I do understand why it happened, but that doesn't mean that some equipment doesn't get shelved for whatever reason. The local "yokels" run to the same rules as every one else.

Hopefully, this will clear up any misunderstandings between us.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The local "yokels" run to the same rules as every one else.
Yes, quite true. And they get do it every Saturday morning, all year round.

Bob, if you think the rules are completely made in a vacuum, you're as wrong as you think I am. When all one sees is SoCal perspective, one makes rules that make sense in SoCal.

The rest if the USA? Not so much.

Like I said (and on which I believe we agree): an opportunity wasted.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

meh...fast racers will be fast no matter where they run...:
Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rtypec
meh...fast racers will be fast no matter where they run...:
Very, very true. If your a smooth and fast driver with a properly set up car you will be very fast.

I have 2 F103's sitting on a shelf, one is a F103 RS the other is a Indy car(forgot what model it is).
Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Yeah, well...there you have it. An opportunity wasted, if you ask me.

Seems like pretty much every rule change is being dictated by what works best at Aliso and what the general opinion is at Aliso.

The rest of the USA? Not so much.
It might fall into your favor, SC participation will double.
In 2012 mini and F1 will become BL, forcing SC enthusiasts like lemmings clinging to the edge of the "spec" cliff, with no parachute in sight.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes, quite true. And they get do it every Saturday morning, all year round.

Bob, if you think the rules are completely made in a vacuum, you're as wrong as you think I am. When all one sees is SoCal perspective, one makes rules that make sense in SoCal.

The rest if the USA? Not so much.

Like I said (and on which I believe we agree): an opportunity wasted.
No, Doc, I don't think the rules are made in a vacuum. What's a mystery is who has the ear of TPTB to influence any rules changes. What I thought you were wrong about was that any of the locals had much, if any input. The 13.5 rpm limit is a perfect example.

You're right about the rest of it tho. Many of the "locals" just do their thing at the Aliso track and don't even go to some of the tracks in the area. So you're probably correct in your assertion that they are unaware of your concerns.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Soo.... back to Mini questions.
What insert is used in the Tamiya "Spec" tire for Minis? Are the tires available anywhere?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

Originally Posted by Three
What insert is used in the Tamiya "Spec" tire for Minis? Are the tires available anywhere?
the tires are for sale from tamiya americia or speedtec rc.the insert is the hard strip foam if i remember correctly.part number is tam1016.they are out of stock but will have more coming in.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by subaru73
the tires are for sale from tamiya americia or speedtec rc.the insert is the hard strip foam if i remember correctly.part number is tam1016.they are out of stock but will have more coming in.
That info has already been posted (but thanks anyway). Need to know exactly what the foam insert is, and who has these tires in stock now.
Anyone????
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Three
I posted this for you a few pages back, but here it is again.

Tires---60D S-Grip Radials #53254
Inserts---Hard foam sponge #53255
Wheels---11 spoke rims, but any Mini rim will do that doesn't have the cross pieces like the old Rover rims have. I think the Swift rims are identical except for the color.

You will find them at Speedtechr/c, Tower hobbies, direct from Tamiya, or any # of other sources.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Granpa!!!
Must have missed your reply in the ongoing discussion.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Not a question as to who is right or who is wrong. The guys around here (Tamiya at Aliso Viejo) just adapted and made the cars work. I understand where you are coming from cause West Coast Raceway is a super hi-grip track and traction rolling etc is a problem and eventually caused the Minis to stop racing there. For your track, you might ask for a carpet track exemption on the tires.

The motor rules are way too loosely written and I can see several huge loop holes in the rules. Very frustrating.
Could not find the carpet track exemption rules.
Where might they be?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chef88
Could not find the carpet track exemption rules.
Where might they be?
Thanks in advance.
You'll find it in the FWD rules. It's item #7. Also in GT2 #6 and GT1, also #6. You won't find it in the Mini rules, but even TPTB at Tamiya should realize that a Mini will be affected by the track surface. I don't know whether they realize the Mini MAY BE more sensitive to the track surface.

For any of those who may be interested, several members of the "Aliso crowd" or the "local yokels" had an "informal" and serious meeting (we cornered him) with one of the TPTB. The net result of this was an affirmation of my contention that the locals have no more influence than the rest of the USA-----we got nowhere except for a "we'll look into it". Which translated means, your guess is as good as mine.

Did learn that they do read this thread from time to time tho. That means that you too can get a "we'll look into it" commitment. Another comment that was interesting was "we do listen". Too often we, all of us, think that if our proposals aren't immediately incorporated in a rules change, nobody listened or cared. That isn't the case and too often Tamiya USA has their hands tied by policies or strategy of the larger corporation.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Whatever the source, reason or logic some of the rule changes will have a negative effect on some TCS veterans and new drivers considering participating. But, it's obviously Tamiya's choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.