Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rtypec
I'm all for box stock motors.
+1

Maybe Fred can do like he does with mini??
Old 08-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default Unfair Johnson advantages

I'm all for box stock motors.
+1
Meanwhile, I'm carefully re-reading the rules for other possibilities.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
+1

Maybe Fred can do like he does with mini??
+2

Except being an exhibition class, it would be nice if we had a little more time to swap motors out and not have to do it at the table just before our races.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Powerswapping

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
+2

Except being an exhibition class, it would be nice if we had a little more time to swap motors out and not have to do it at the table just before our races.
I agree, but the problem I see is that it's relatively easy to swap in a Mini motor (only 3 gear choices, also easily watched for that, motor slots in and gear mesh is quickly set, tighten two screws and you're off), whereas we'll have to take the gear cover off, put in the motor, line up the gear mesh, tighten the two screws, bribe the tech people to allow me to not put the gear cover on, and put on the body and go. It could get expensive.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+2

And to add to the exhibition "spirit" of the class, if we see anybody even trying to tune or clean their motors, we get to kick them in the shin
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

And to add to the exhibition "spirit" of the class, if we see anybody even trying to tune or clean their motors, we get to kick them in the shin
Yep, yep. I'm with you there!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dirty motors, no bueno.. why should i be 'bogged down' cause someone else likes to drive off-offline like a dump-truck-dirt-duster?? Thats if you are talking motor-impound.. hopefully tech-dudes and dude-ettes will give them a good spray and lubing
Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Think I heard Fred say that Mini and F1 will be "install and remove motor in the tech area" classes.

GT4 (heck GT3 too?) could be the same?

Since Mini is a fixed gear class, F1 and GT4... could be fixed too?

Install motors as early as 2 heats before race?

Hey, Whoa! Just sayin.

Silver can classes = random motors handed out each round by Tamiya and fixed gearing.

But that would mean no shin kicking.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default What have you heard?

Originally Posted by OSherman
dirty motors, no bueno.. why should i be 'bogged down' cause someone else likes to drive off-offline like a dump-truck-dirt-duster?? Thats if you are talking motor-impound.. hopefully tech-dudes and dude-ettes will give them a good spray and lubing
Jeez, O, just because I like to take "creative" lines through the sweeper and the 180...
Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Potato,

I applaud your thought process and suggestions for making practice better in your eyes. Have you ever run the North American Finals before, as I do not recognize you as spending much time here on this forum in the past.

I don't think the others are slamming you as much as they may be frustrated with another 'new' NAF contender and TCS Champ forum poster messing with something that has worked well in previous years before they experience it. (If I am wrong in this assumtion, sorry, and I will see you soon AGAIN) Is it perfect? No. Is it fair? Yes. Does it work? Yes.

The nice thing is that with personal transponders it is possible for the race director or his stand-in to monitor track time during controlled practice and limit a driver to 5 mins or less if conditions warrant. The sessions have been longer than 10 mins too. With a 10 or 12 driver limit on the stand, things progress quite nicely using this method.

As suggested, the most efficient use of your time will be to run no more than 4 to 6 laps, pull it in, make adjustments, and repeat. As TomSlick stated, the "Track Faires" usually take NAF week off at the track.

In my many years at NAF (13), I have stacked up many broken parts during "Open Practice" that are numerous to list and too painfull to tally. (disclaimer: Yes Tom, many broken parts were the result of bad decisions by me)

Just don't take it personally, enjoy the event, and make many friends. The race results will be what they will be.

Oh ya, and Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry, I was bored, it was just an idea I had, so I made the suggestion. I'm not even racing this year. Have fun!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default What's a little broken ABS between friends

[QUOTE=414MPH;7752785]

In my many years at NAF (13), I have stacked up many broken parts during "Open Practice" that are numerous to list and too painfull to tally. (disclaimer: Yes Tom, many broken parts were the result of bad decisions by me)
QUOTE]

Aw c'mon, M, I said I'd replace that A-arm for you. And that motor pod. And that gearbox. And that axle. And that servo mount. And that upper plate. You know I just brushed your car going into the 180...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+2

+3 but perhaps buy motor at track and have rpm limit after and not take motors in and out at tech as it is a non-trip winning class.

Rumor on silver can motors is all three trip classes (GT-3, Mini and F1) will be install and remove motors at tech only. Probably not have a motor swap on GT-3 and F1 because not fixed gearing so a person does not get another persons fried out geared to Pluto motor (that is a moon and no longer a planet) that Hebiki just took out of his car. (he, he - just having fun Chris)

Tom - you forgot you also broke Marty's front wing, back wing and the shrapnel almost took his little F1 drivers head off with that little "brush".
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink Drive-by controlled practice!

I was at my local Wallgreens getting some photos developed and while I was waiting for the prints, I found something that may be of interest to all of you. They have torqouise (light blue) sharpies in stock and are on sale individually for 99 cents. I guess they stocked up on back to school stuff and have a lot of sharpie colors on sale. Typically, this color is only available as a part of a set. This sharpie color closely matches Tamiya blue anodizing and can be used to touch-up blue aluminum or to "paint" parts. I hope your local store has them in stock because these things are dialed.

Oh yeah...my avatar says hi to Kevin
Careful Rod, telling everyone where you shop you might get carjacked!
Good idea, I might SHOOT by, get it "SHOOT, by Drive-by, get it?
Wow, I better not quit my day job! Due to my "lake" of experience (Tom Slick) shopping at Wallgreens, where are they located in the store?

How about controlled practice where the 2nd car at the driverstand takes out the first then the 3rd driver takes out the 2nd and so on. Lets call it a controlled drive-by practice!

Oh yeah, Mr. Potato head,
I think your singing to the wrong choir. Fred Medel is the person you should talk to as far as changing racing format, not RC tech!
Fred's e-mail is [email protected] just in case you would like to explain to Fred you ideas!
I too must be bored!
Just my 2$
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Fixed gearing for all silver cans (installed in tech) not a good idea?

Just one more thing equalizing the racing and ensuring drivers, new and experienced that it is all about the driving and setup and not motor wizardry.
Sucks gettin demoralized by sheer horsepower in "spec" classes.

Really wouldn't leave much to complain about tho.

Minis, 20t pinion

F1, 93 spur/ 22 to 26 pinion (ballpark?), sure a set could be agreed upon.

GT3, I don't run it so have no idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.