Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
nope... "Any TCS legal battery".. basically any 5000mah hardcase..

I think thats where Rod had me... i was using 3-4 yr old 20C packs. Think im gonna get what he had..
Before you buy, you can borrow one next weekend to try. Just to make sure it is not motor related.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rtypec
Before you buy, you can borrow one next weekend to try. Just to make sure it is not motor related.
might be motor or a lil bit of both... it was faster in the beginning of the day... didnt clean it once all day, actually still dirty from previous weekend of practice and running too. gonna freshen it up and see. Last weekend we were just about deadnuts even. so used to brushless didnt even think about cleaning it till today.. lol

thanks for the offer tho' will take ya up on it
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsyed1
minimadman2003 nice ride what tires are you using?

That's not mine....You'll have to ask Izzy what tires he is running.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

any1 at tamiya lookin at LiFe for '11 as an alternative to lipo. seems like a nice alternative in the wake of all these 'battery death' threads.

R
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just wanted to publicly THANK Tamiya USA for continuing to support their loyal customers. TCS event #156 at the Hobby Town USA in Glen Burnie was a HOT success, even with a late day monsoon, and the class winning prizes were typically awesome.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Just wanted to publicly THANK Tamiya USA for continuing to support their loyal customers. TCS event #156 at the Hobby Town USA in Glen Burnie was a HOT success, even with a late day monsoon, and the class winning prizes were typically awesome.
how did you do, Sharpie?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

what's the most popular chassis for GT3?

from looking at the general TCS rules, it looks like its open to Ta01 thru TA05 and the TB01 thru TB03 chassis as long as they are tub chassis

how would a TT01 make out in the class?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
any1 at tamiya lookin at LiFe for '11 as an alternative to lipo. seems like a nice alternative in the wake of all these 'battery death' threads.

R
I have built and run LiFe packs. They are a fantastic technology with high C rates for charging and discharging. However the weight and volume for a given amount of energy is a little less than either NiMh and LiPo. I think the major issues is that the size, shape and voltage are not close enough to current LiPo or NiMH configurations, but team Orion does make a stick pack compatible 2 cell version. @ 3.3v per cell, a 2S pack would come to 6.6v and a 3S pack would come to 9.9v, so you have to choose between low voltage an not much punch or a higher voltage and a 3S ESC. BTW, you need a charger with the correct charge curve for the chemistry.

If a group of people decided to all run LiFe in a chassis that would handle the odd size, then it would be great, but I think they are a non-starter for typical racing as we know it. They do have some very attractive upsides as this chemistry can handle heat and a very high charge rate. They are also very tolerant of deep discharge. I could see them being used for an enduro type of event. Most cars teamed with a reasonable BL motor could run an entire event with three batteries in constant rotation on two chargers.

Last edited by 240Z; 07-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
what's the most popular chassis for GT3?
how would a TT01 make out in the class?
The TA05 is by far the most popular chassis for GT3, at the Aliso Viejo track they are 90%+ of the GT3 cars.

As for the TT-01, one year I decided to try TCS with the cheapest kit Tamiya makes - it's not a mini, it's the TT-01 Enzo that you could get with the ESC and motor for $80. I only added bearings, a wing, and a smaller spur to get the drive ratio right; raced it with friction shocks.

While it isn't going to be the Japan winning chassis, it was great fun and did fine. I made a report in the TT-01 Forum that you can see at:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4227548-post835.html
Also, the final gear chart that I came up with is at:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4274833-post871.html

Hope it up if you enjoy bling, resist hopping it up if you think it will make you place higher.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
The TA05 is by far the most popular chassis for GT3, at the Aliso Viejo track they are 90%+ of the GT3 cars.

As for the TT-01, one year I decided to try TCS with the cheapest kit Tamiya makes - it's not a mini, it's the TT-01 Enzo that you could get with the ESC and motor for $80. I only added bearings, a wing, and a smaller spur to get the drive ratio right; raced it with friction shocks.

While it isn't going to be the Japan winning chassis, it was great fun and did fine. I made a report in the TT-01 Forum that you can see at:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4227548-post835.html
Also, the final gear chart that I came up with is at:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/4274833-post871.html

Hope it up if you enjoy bling, resist hopping it up if you think it will make you place higher.
I remember reading your write-up before...I actually have a Ta05 sitting around so that can be a very good gt3 car..

I was thinking about running the tt01 because I was trying to get one for another project and figured the test car could be used for something else...the 'project' car is/has to be box stock - so i wouldn't be added ANYTHING to it, including shocks

but i'm thinking i might as well just use the ta05 or just run mini and F1
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Getting ready for some playtime tomorrow.

Hey Izzy, looks great, I like the black roof.

Looks like we might be twins, I have mine painted in the same blue, but no black roof.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Hey Izzy, looks great, I like the black roof.

Looks like we might be twins, I have mine painted in the same blue, but no black roof.
Sweet... yah rod liked that roof too, someone should do a black roof and hood, I was gonna do that but ran out of black paint. I still have one small SiR decal left for tcs.
I got some ff03 hop ups for install tomorrow. Can't wait for more testing on Saturday.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default gt3

Cool! I painted my GT3 the same color. I bought a set of extra long axles to put on the front to use 0mm offest wheels and 3mm offset wheels out back. I did this to be able to use 200mm bodies without having to swap out the short front axles so that the wheels are always flush up front with any body with the correct offset. I use an HPI Pontiac Trans Am 200mm body, which is painted to match my real Trans Am, and I also use a Hot Bodies Ferrari F50 190mm body on my tt-01 e.

I am trying to track down some Tamiya Porsche Boxster wheels for the GT3. Right now I have the stage d 26 wheels at the front and work meister 3mm out back. The spokes are similar, but not exact. I am going to try the stage d 30 wheels since I think they are 3mm offset.

On these pictures I have the 0mm offset stage d wheels and the rears are work meister 6mm offset.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-pict0032.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-pict0033.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-pict0034.jpg  

Last edited by guy7bmwm5; 07-28-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Talking Dishing it out

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm5
I bought a set of extra long axles to put on the front to use 0mm offest wheels and 3mm offset wheels out back. I did this to be able to use 200mm bodies without having to swap out the short front axles so that the wheels are always flush up front with any body with the correct offset.

I am trying to track down some Tamiya Porsche Boxster wheels for the GT3. Right now I have the stage d 26 wheels at the front and work meister 3mm out back. The spokes are similar, but not exact. I am going to try the stage d 30 wheels since I think they are 3mm offset.
I like the looks of the dish wheels, sir, esp. with the fact that so many Porsches in real life use a more dished wheel in the rear. The wheel/tire fit in the wheel opening is pretty nice too. Are you going to run GT4 with us at the Nats? If so, round up some 24 mm Tamiya spoke wheels and tires; remember, got to run those for the class.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm still a newbie. I still need some practice before I head to a track. I would love to participate in events soon and check out the other cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.