Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

It would be nice too Have GT-4 with only FWD bodys and GT-3 with RWD bodys.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
A-Ko - I just began working on my M05, but I found a good price on the FF03 Pro. That may be something for Christmas or birthday next Spring. I would like to see them put limits on hop-ups, batteries and specify a gear ratio to make it a true spec class. If they don't it becomes a FWD GT3 class. That may be ok, but for me I would like to see it used like the TT01 spec class they run in Maryland and other places.
Why not consider FWD the new GT-3 class for next year ? Mini and F1 are already running silver can motors. Don't need to have two sedan classes for silver can and adding another TC class just thins out the other TC classes further.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

i think it's an opportunity to set up a restricted hop up, battery and gearing class. I think the problem with having it replace the current GT3 class is that you have a large number of drivers who are TCS regulars who have a lot invested in their cars, batteries, etc. Why not create a class to attract new drivers to the series for people on a limited budget.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Why not consider FWD the new GT-3 class for next year ? Mini and F1 are already running silver can motors. Don't need to have two sedan classes for silver can and adding another TC class just thins out the other TC classes further.
Although GT3 was picked for a reason as a Japan class and it was not due to lack of popularity in the series.

GT1 will be an unlimited 17.5 BL, GT2 spec 17.5 BL, GT3 4wd silver can and GT4 FWD silvercan.

Perhaps with GT4 it might be worth keeping it an exhibition class or lift the 2 class maximum to 3. I can see many people, myself included torn between all the classes, except spec. Plus it can only mean more part sales for Tamiya.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
A-Ko - I just began working on my M05, but I found a good price on the FF03 Pro. That may be something for Christmas or birthday next Spring.
Oh Darn, I was hoping to borrow it for 1 race.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
MD
Tech Champion

A-Ko - Well, we could workout a rental plan.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Time to start building my FF03.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Time to start building my FF03.
Here's mine. It's no Porsche, but I like it!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
i think it's an opportunity to set up a restricted hop up, battery and gearing class. I think the problem with having it replace the current GT3 class is that you have a large number of drivers who are TCS regulars who have a lot invested in their cars, batteries, etc. Why not create a class to attract new drivers to the series for people on a limited budget.
Gee, I thought mini was supposed to be the class for people on a limited budget ? And maybe it is time for people with lots of money invested in ther GT-3 cars to make a step up to run GT-2 ? I bet most of the FF03 cars already built are beyond what most restricted hop-ups rules would be set at.

A-KO: I agree that unless a thrid class allowed is added for the rces, adding another class (Wheteher GT-4, an "experienced spec class" or any others) will just dilute the number of enteries in other classes. You will probably still have the same amount of entries, just more classes with if lucky one full heat.

It seems GT-3 was chosen as a trip class because of the larger turn outs than GT-1 and GT-2 classes this year. How much of that was due to people wanting to wait to find out what the National GT-2 rules were before buying a new speedo to have the advantage (just liek people bought new LRP SPX esc's right before Nat's last year), time will tell. I hope it is not because people thought GT-2 was just "too fast". I thought part of racing was to trying to improve one's skill to get better and drive faster. Seems a lot of people are so excited about "open RPM limits" on silver cans because they are so fast. Heck, sounds like time to step up to brushless 17.5 racing at least.

Rennmachine - Doesn't VW own Porsche ? Should be "close enough".
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Kevin CBR - I think Mini is cheaper, but there is no limit on hop ups, or tires. So, an expensive chassis becomes an expensive chassis. Even the rules for the novice spec class allows for many hop ups, which I've never understood. I don't think that many people in the general R/C racing population have FF03's yet, and Tamiya changes rules all the time. It's an opportunity for experienced Spec Class. It may be a way to attract new people.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up boy' do i feel like a NOOB... 'my first diff-build'

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
A thought, O: you think the dogbone "paddles", that go on the ends of the 415/416 CV's, would fit the dogbones and cut wear/eliminate slop? They've helped on the M-05 diffs. Might make a good cheap fix.
soo... as i was assembling these new diff-halfs with the blades. i noticed this lil arrow in the instructions. same arrow as in the FF03 kit instructions... EXACT same arrow after verification after placing them side-by-side. but THIS time i actually notice/pay attention to the TWIST in the arrow. and it finally clicked.. everyone has been saying you had to pay close attention to the instructions... i didnt think nothing of it. all this time my FF03 has been working rather nicely with the diff assembled WRONG!! wonder how swell it will be tomorrow...

then again... had i not built it wrong the first time. would i have spent money on the new bits?? definitely not!! lol this diff should last a lifetime tho now..

oh well.. live and learn...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
soo... as i was assembling these new diff-halfs with the blades. i noticed this lil arrow in the instructions. same arrow as in the FF03 kit instructions... EXACT same arrow after verification after placing them side-by-side. but THIS time i actually notice/pay attention to the TWIST in the arrow. and it finally clicked.. everyone has been saying you had to pay close attention to the instructions... i didnt think nothing of it. all this time my FF03 has been working rather nicely with the diff assembled WRONG!! wonder how swell it will be tomorrow...

then again... had i not built it wrong the first time. would i have spent money on the new bits?? definitely not!! lol this diff should last a lifetime tho now..

That is the one good thing about being so far behind the curve on these FF03's......I get to learn from YOUR mistakes, LOL.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
That is the one good thing about being so far behind the curve on these FF03's......I get to learn from YOUR mistakes, LOL.
Giving back to the community!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Standing on others' shoulders

Originally Posted by OSherman

Been there, O. I built my first diff the same way.Wonder if that's why my diff halves melted. I am looking forward to coming home, building a new diff with the new aluminum diff halves, and figuring out how to melt that one. Then I'll come ask you how to do it right. Oh, and BTW, congrats on the Mini Enduro run!

Any commentary, fellas, on Fred's new rules for "GT4"--motor choice and "recommended" gearing to fit the gear case? I'm frustrated only because I went out and bought a lot of nice big pinions, and for what? Hmmm, may be time to start experimenting with gearing in GT3 again.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
Any commentary, fellas, on Fred's new rules for "GT4"--motor choice and "recommended" gearing to fit the gear case? I'm frustrated only because I went out and bought a lot of nice big pinions, and for what? Hmmm, may be time to start experimenting with gearing in GT3 again.
Seems overgeared to me. That's how those guys like to do it down there though -- gear 'em to the moon, bring 'em off glowing like the sun, and toss 'em in the bin.

I exaggerate, but not too much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.