Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM
  #13651  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (120)
 
JasonC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: oceanside ca
Posts: 4,099
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

Fred : Will the "spec tire" be avalable for those that want to run it?
JasonC is offline  
Old 06-19-2010, 08:50 PM
  #13652  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face " The Finals" :) High excitement low cost?

Originally Posted by teamstrc
Hooray for the rule changes! Fred and the tamiya crew always come through for us.

Man, that GT-3 class is going to be stacked

Steve
Hey Steve,
You got that right. If today at Tamiya was any indication of how many racers are switching to GT-3, there will probably be a "Z" main in GT-3.
Just about everybody that normally runs GT-2 and GT-1 are now running GT-3.
It was funny in practice today Dave Jun was testing the new FF-02 and everybody was trying to keep up with Dave. His car looks like it handles great and he said he was running a box stock silver can and boy was he fast in the infield and through the sweeper and the esses!
Of coarse Dave can make any car look dialed because it's "DAVE" but Clipper got to drive it and he was blown away on how well it handled.
Well, I guess Fred does listen to you and others and I'm sure it played a part on his decision to leave things alone until next year. So now you can run two classes at the finals. So, we will all be expecting you to show up.
Right?
Anyway, I myself will switch from GT-2 to mini. This class will also have and "X" main.
See you soon!
Max
maxepower is offline  
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 PM
  #13653  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool SPEC TIRES

Originally Posted by JasonC
Fred : Will the "spec tire" be avalable for those that want to run it?
Jason,
I didn't talk to Fred about the availablity of the spec tires but he did said that if they were they should be at a price comparable to if you just bought the 4 tire set of B3's at your LHS and you get rims and insert already mounted, so I too would like to buy a set.
According to Fred these spec tires will have a one of a kind wheel so there will be no doubt that it is what it is! The wheel is the same as the standard white 5 spoke rim but it will be silver and thats what will set it apart from the rest.
Tamiya made these colored wheels just for the spec classes and they will have Tamiya Medium inserts.
Now that I think about what he said and now I'm not sure if he said silver or gray? Well you get the picture.
Max
Max
maxepower is offline  
Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
  #13654  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower

Well, I guess Fred does listen to you and others and I'm sure it played a part on his decision to leave things alone until next year.
Anyway, I myself will switch from GT-2 to mini. This class will also have and "X" main.
See you soon!
Max
funny how he listened to 'us'. gave 'us' what 'we' wanted.. and now almost everyone is switching class..

what am i missing??
OSherman is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 PM
  #13655  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
what am i missing??
Your RS running in GT2.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
  #13656  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? "In my opinion!" Whatever that's worth?

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Your RS running in GT2.
I too have an RS that I will end up using in my brushed silver can for GT-3.Talk about a redundant combination but at least I don't have to go out and buy a Tekin FX just to run the finals. I guess even if I did I could still put it in my mini.
I know exactly where "O" is coming from. All we want is to compete at a level playing field without buying the latest greatest every few months just to keep it equal and let the better driver prevail.
I might be somewhat to blame for Fred's revised edition. I let him know that for my own selfish reasons that I didn't want a spec tire and spec esc and motor. So, little did I know that I talked my way out of competing for the championship in GT-2 by maybe causing Fred to re-think his decision on what is the more equal class to go to Japan. I myself probably didn't have much of a chance anyway to make it to the winners circle but I felt confident that I could have gotten far with a little luck!
Unfortunately, I feel sorry for a lot of the GT-2 drivers that spent the long hours preparing and practicing with their set-up to be as ready as possible to have a shot at the trip to you know where!
You see now what's going to happen is all the what I would call expert class drivers are now going to overwhelm the lets say sportsman class drivers for lack of a better term in GT-3.
I don't think thats what Fred intended to see happen but that "is what's going to happen".
Now that myself have tried running GT-3 I now have to change my set-up because you have to run a one-way or diff up front to keep your speed up in the corners because the motor rpm issue. I really dont want to spend anymore money or time to do that so it looks like mini for me!
So, "in my opinion" there are a lot of drivers that deserve a shot at the title but are now forced to switch classes and set-up with only 7 Saturday's left and probably have to buy more equipment to be at that high level to make it to the "A" main and have a shot at the " trip to you know where!"
just my 2$
maxepower is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
  #13657  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower
Hey Steve,
You got that right. If today at Tamiya was any indication of how many racers are switching to GT-3, there will probably be a "Z" main in GT-3.
Just about everybody that normally runs GT-2 and GT-1 are now running GT-3.
It was funny in practice today Dave Jun was testing the new FF-02 and everybody was trying to keep up with Dave. His car looks like it handles great and he said he was running a box stock silver can and boy was he fast in the infield and through the sweeper and the esses!
Of coarse Dave can make any car look dialed because it's "DAVE" but Clipper got to drive it and he was blown away on how well it handled.
Well, I guess Fred does listen to you and others and I'm sure it played a part on his decision to leave things alone until next year. So now you can run two classes at the finals. So, we will all be expecting you to show up.
Right?
Anyway, I myself will switch from GT-2 to mini. This class will also have and "X" main.
See you soon!
Max

Hi Max,

Well, I'm don't think I was the one that convinced Fred to change the rules, I merely just posted what many were probably thinking about (I received a few emails in private after I posted agreeing with me) so i wasn't the only one that was feeling the same.

Personally, I would make the trip to Japan for GT-2, Mini, and F1 as I think we have the best "pool" of drivers competing in GT-2 throughout the season thus far. Mini has always been a stacked field of talented drivers (I think it's the biggest class at all regionals) and f1 is a newly revived class so it makes sense to make that a trip to japan class. And we obviously want the best set of drivers to represent us (USA) in the Tamiya Worlds.

As for me attending...You guys know I don't do much of on-road any more because it is no longer related to our business as we mostly sell off-road products now. But I usually still show up for the TCS races because I like hanging out with all the friends at the TCS events (the off-road crowd are a completely different breed) and also to support Tamiya and Fred. For nats, if there's going to be a "Z" main for GT-3...then I'll have to think twice about investing into a "Z" main run

we'll see

Steve
teamstrc is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM
  #13658  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower
I too have an RS that I will end up using in my brushed silver can for GT-3.Talk about a redundant combination but at least I don't have to go out and buy a Tekin FX just to run the finals. I guess even if I did I could still put it in my mini.
I know exactly where "O" is coming from. All we want is to compete at a level playing field without buying the latest greatest every few months just to keep it equal and let the better driver prevail.
I might be somewhat to blame for Fred's revised edition. I let him know that for my own selfish reasons that I didn't want a spec tire and spec esc and motor. So, little did I know that I talked my way out of competing for the championship in GT-2 by maybe causing Fred to re-think his decision on what is the more equal class to go to Japan. I myself probably didn't have much of a chance anyway to make it to the winners circle but I felt confident that I could have gotten far with a little luck!
Unfortunately, I feel sorry for a lot of the GT-2 drivers that spent the long hours preparing and practicing with their set-up to be as ready as possible to have a shot at the trip to you know where!
You see now what's going to happen is all the what I would call expert class drivers are now going to overwhelm the lets say sportsman class drivers for lack of a better term in GT-3.
I don't think thats what Fred intended to see happen but that "is what's going to happen".
Now that myself have tried running GT-3 I now have to change my set-up because you have to run a one-way or diff up front to keep your speed up in the corners because the motor rpm issue. I really dont want to spend anymore money or time to do that so it looks like mini for me!
So, "in my opinion" there are a lot of drivers that deserve a shot at the title but are now forced to switch classes and set-up with only 7 Saturday's left and probably have to buy more equipment to be at that high level to make it to the "A" main and have a shot at the " trip to you know where!"
just my 2$

Wow the old story of - "Be Careful What You Wish For"

It should be an interesting Nationals with all the new sub-plots. Either way - it will be fun a weekend.

Last edited by Tsquare; 06-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Tsquare is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
  #13659  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Wow, I'm sure no one wanted to kill the Gt2 class but it looks like that's exactly what happened.

Bet it's not too late to kill the "super" esc for the Nats. and let the GT2 class stay at 17.5 speeds and think about having 1 "race motor" class go to Japan.

An all Silver can National seems kinda sad doesn't it?
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
  #13660  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower
I too have an RS that I will end up using in my brushed silver can for GT-3.Talk about a redundant combination but at least I don't have to go out and buy a Tekin FX just to run the finals. I guess even if I did I could still put it in my mini.
I know exactly where "O" is coming from. All we want is to compete at a level playing field without buying the latest greatest every few months just to keep it equal and let the better driver prevail.
I might be somewhat to blame for Fred's revised edition. I let him know that for my own selfish reasons that I didn't want a spec tire and spec esc and motor. So, little did I know that I talked my way out of competing for the championship in GT-2 by maybe causing Fred to re-think his decision on what is the more equal class to go to Japan. I myself probably didn't have much of a chance anyway to make it to the winners circle but I felt confident that I could have gotten far with a little luck!
Unfortunately, I feel sorry for a lot of the GT-2 drivers that spent the long hours preparing and practicing with their set-up to be as ready as possible to have a shot at the trip to you know where!
You see now what's going to happen is all the what I would call expert class drivers are now going to overwhelm the lets say sportsman class drivers for lack of a better term in GT-3.
I don't think thats what Fred intended to see happen but that "is what's going to happen".
Now that myself have tried running GT-3 I now have to change my set-up because you have to run a one-way or diff up front to keep your speed up in the corners because the motor rpm issue. I really dont want to spend anymore money or time to do that so it looks like mini for me!
So, "in my opinion" there are a lot of drivers that deserve a shot at the title but are now forced to switch classes and set-up with only 7 Saturday's left and probably have to buy more equipment to be at that high level to make it to the "A" main and have a shot at the " trip to you know where!"
just my 2$
I really feel for you, only seven full test days left to find a setup.
Hopefully you realize how absurd that sounds.
How about the guys that will fly in on Thursday night and have only Friday and an hour of tracktime on Saturday to get things figured out?
No one, including Tamiya is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to run GT3, its a choice that all of you guys are making. And I might add that you have no one to blame but yourselves, you started the speedo war and now you have to deal with the fallout from it.
As I said before, Scotty outlawed the 203 software for his race , and while the Tekin crowd had to scramble to figure out gearing and timing for the 200 software, the racing was very even.
It wouldnt take an act of god to implement a similar rule for Nats.
Whether the rules change or change classes based on the rules, the TA locals will still have an advantage at that track, and that is fine, I am not moving to Cali so that I can become a local, just not in the cards for me.
Again, I am holding out hope that I can make it out there for this years race, but at the moment it is not looking good
Miracles do happen though
BP SHADOW is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM
  #13661  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Wow, I'm sure no one wanted to kill the Gt2 class but it looks like that's exactly what happened.

Bet it's not too late to kill the "super" esc for the Nats. and let the GT2 class stay at 17.5 speeds and think about having 1 "race motor" class go to Japan.

An all Silver can National seems kinda sad doesn't it?
A lot can be debated what killed GT-2 this year. As for buying the "latest go fast" equipment, that is what many did at last year's Nats when they bought the new LRP SPX just before Nats to have a competitive edge and Profile 8 was an advantage over other esc's.

As a GT-2 and GT-1 racer all year, seems many people were waiting for the National rules for GT-2 to decide what to get (the Tamiya 12T system) or the latest esc from someone who could match the Tekin power (like people did last year buying the LRP SPX right before Nats). This seems to have been a factor that helped GT-3 become the biggest sedan class this year.

Making GT-3 the only trip winning sean class makes it a no-brainer that most of the sedan drivers who would have a shot at the A main will run GT-3. There are easily 8-10 different drivers this year all very close so it should make for an exciting Nationals in sedan in addition to the already talent stacked mini class and the new F104 class.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
  #13662  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

looking forward to FF03 GT4

Last edited by OSherman; 06-21-2010 at 12:06 PM.
OSherman is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
  #13663  
Tech Regular
 
SilverShelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Huntsville,AL
Posts: 466
Default

Hope that GT-4 will be for next year!!!!
FF car would get me to race agian.....
SilverShelby is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
  #13664  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (129)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,656
Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)
Default

Just a few thoughts on the Tekin software ruling on Trackside.

With v203, the GT2 top runners were 0.2-0.3sec fastet than GT1. After v200 was mandated, speeds slowed of course. The biggest issue was with motor temps. I personal saw 5 motors go up in smoke during the last half of practice while people were trying to recalibrate their speedo settings and their gearing. After some playing around, the lap times dropped and GT2 was again faster than GT1. The outcome of the race didn't really change. I personally thought it made the 8-minute mains a farce. In both mains, I dropped back to 80% speeed to keep the motor from blowing up at about the 4 minute point. Were as in Omaha (which allowed 203), the racing was ultra close for the full 8 minutes. Not sure how Memphis was, but it sounded ultra close for the full 8 minutes.

Anyway, nomater what rules are imposed, have fun at the Nats


Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I really feel for you, only seven full test days left to find a setup.
Hopefully you realize how absurd that sounds.
How about the guys that will fly in on Thursday night and have only Friday and an hour of tracktime on Saturday to get things figured out?
No one, including Tamiya is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to run GT3, its a choice that all of you guys are making. And I might add that you have no one to blame but yourselves, you started the speedo war and now you have to deal with the fallout from it.
As I said before, Scotty outlawed the 203 software for his race , and while the Tekin crowd had to scramble to figure out gearing and timing for the 200 software, the racing was very even.
It wouldnt take an act of god to implement a similar rule for Nats.
Whether the rules change or change classes based on the rules, the TA locals will still have an advantage at that track, and that is fine, I am not moving to Cali so that I can become a local, just not in the cards for me.
Again, I am holding out hope that I can make it out there for this years race, but at the moment it is not looking good
Miracles do happen though
ewippler is offline  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
  #13665  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
looking forward to FF03 GT4

+1
Tsquare is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.