Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks Fred! You may have just solidified my plans to fly out there in August!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

B3 Pre-mounts will not be used on carpet tracks next year. I know some of you are wondering about that. A type tires are the way to go and we're not making those as pre-mounts. We want to go through the B3 compounds on out door venues and see how it pans out. That's the safe thing.

GT-4 will not be a novice class. Will it replace one of the existing GT classes? I really don't know. If GT-1 and GT-2 can be fixed next year, which it should be , we will see if all four GT classes can co-exist.

I'll be testing the FF-03 finally this Saurday with different power plant options. Should be interesting.

FM
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Will enough noise save the F103 class for the future or should we give up on em and let em disappear?

Only been around the Tamiya scene for about a year but do the "discontinued" kits and parts just fade out?

Odd that the 15th Anniversary kit would come out and then have support (racing) for it stop even tho there is a new/different F1 car released behind it.
Parts (most) for the 103 seem to be in and out of stock, foams are still in and out too.
Can we expect this to continue or will the parts eventually be completely discontinued?

103 on foam and 104 on rubber, still seems as tho both classes would have sign ups, no?

All of the minis are still eligible and supported, is that because they are still equally competitive with each other?

Wow, 20 questions for Tamiya. Sorry.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I think its mainly just because the F103 has been around for 16 or 17 years and now the F104 is the the next step for Tamiya. The M03 04 and 05 are all supported...but the M01 and M02 are not. Those came out around the same era that the original F102-F103s did and have since been discontinued and now are pretty hard to find.

I also loved the F103 as it was dialed pretty much right out of the box (15th anni version) but have moved to the F104. I have carried the flag before for discontinued Tamiya models and it becomes a very difficult and time consuming job just to keep them in race shape with spares.
Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Will enough noise save the F103 class for the future or should we give up on em and let em disappear?

Only been around the Tamiya scene for about a year but do the "discontinued" kits and parts just fade out?

Odd that the 15th Anniversary kit would come out and then have support (racing) for it stop even tho there is a new/different F1 car released behind it.
Parts (most) for the 103 seem to be in and out of stock, foams are still in and out too.
Can we expect this to continue or will the parts eventually be completely discontinued?

103 on foam and 104 on rubber, still seems as tho both classes would have sign ups, no?

All of the minis are still eligible and supported, is that because they are still equally competitive with each other?

Wow, 20 questions for Tamiya. Sorry.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
I only bought it cause i know my non-boosted speedo wont cut it for the Big Ticket to Japan.. i learned the same thing you did.. DUH!! I never blamed Tamiya, I applaud them for addressing the issue..

But now since my class is not eligible for the BigTicket, its just for fun.. so why do i need boost? i liked my class just the way it was, non-boosted and fun..
I would keep it unless locals don't have a class for it and/or you need the money? Just give yourself time to get comfortable chassis and esc.
Although you could go for the GT2 title, win it, then come back next year as a National Champ going for the big prize.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
If GT-1 and GT-2 can be fixed next year, which it should be , . . .
Any thought on what GT1 and GT2 might look like for 2011?

Maybe 2 scenarios like if the 1st one does not work, the possible backup plan?

I understand there is a slight issue, just curious what I might need to save for.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Brushless F1 next year???
How sweet that would be.
Spec 21.5 no boost.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Fred,
Thanks for the clarification on the carpet scenario, and I am glad to see that Tamiya is flexible when it comes to all this stuff. You are in an unenviable position of having to administer the rules and listen to the fallout from the distribution of said rules.
Quite honestly though, I dont know that the classes are really broken and in need of a major fix.
IMO the GT2 formula and format are really good. I think the decline you are seeing is that people either didnt want to or couldnt afford to chase the technology. At Scottys, I think we had 3 or 4 heats of GT2, not the biggest class, but a good showing.
It helped that Scotty banned the 203 software for the Tekins, it made the field more evenly matched.
A spec brushless system would be a good thing I think, as long as the cost isnt too high. The eight minute mains are awsome, and for me was one of the reasons to run GT2. Running IFS only was cool, but I know for fact that it kept people away because of cost.
Keep up the good work, I hope to see you in August
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FMW
A letter to our TCS racers,

I wanted to take some time to address some of the questions and concerns that have come up since we’ve posted the 2010 TCS Finals rules. I don’t post on an everyday basis as time does not permit, but I do read the boards for various reasons.

I want to make sure everyone involved with the TCS Series, new and veteran, are aware of a few things.
First, the decisions made are made in the best interest of the “company” and the best interest of the “participant”. There’s a balancing act that must be weighed to balance booth of these interests. The company is in the business of providing fun hobby products to the market, so it may stay in business. The interest of the participant is merely to have fun and we strive to bring you that fun in the most fair and economical way possible.
Second, the rules for the classes at the finals have mostly remained unchanged from regional races, but there are minor tweaks here and there to address issues from the races leading up to the finals. This has been the case since the inception of TCS.
Lastly, we do not make decisions that can’t be amended due to feedback. We are not Face Book, AT&T or Apple Inc.
With that said I have heard some of the feedback. Some of the feedback comes from the usual suspects that always have their two cents. However, one individual voiced their concerns that usually never do so. That tends to be more credible than the ones that constantly have something to say or like to say things just to stir the pot.

Here are a few facts as to why certain decisions were made.

Issue: Controlled tires

1. Control pre-mount tires. The TCS series is probably one of the last series that hasn’t gone to a control tire. Based on feedback from last year we decided to do so this year. Our intention was for the benefit of the racer. It was done for fairness and to control costs for that racer. We also believed 3 months advance notice was plenty of notice. However, there appears to be many of you that have already pre-purchased your tires long ago. Even with tire quantity limits, this would force our customers to buy more tires. Taking the economy into consideration and the overall goal to keep the TCS series cost effective, we’ve elected to make the following change: GT-1, GT-2, GT-3 and GT-4 (FF-03) will not have this control tire for Finals. Instead, the regional rules on tires will apply for nationals. There is one final problem regarding tires, but that will be addressed later once more facts are collected. (Be warned: We are going to a control tire for 2011. This includes Regional’s)
2. Mini will stick with the control tire since one complete set of the S-Grips will get you through the finals. This also puts everyone in Mini on the same playing field and that is our goal with Mini.

Issue: Speed control boost

1. The decision to NOT have a controlled speed control at this time was strictly due to rules consistency. The rules were set at the beginning of the season. A speed control purchase is a decent investment. We didn’t want to punish those who did their homework early. While this was not the best for the speed of the classes or series, it kept things consistent. Also, the Tamiya speed control and motor combo was seriously looked at for finals. However, there is an issue regarding radio transmitter compatibility with our system. I’m sure most of you don’t want to buy a radio just for the finals. The system works on a lot of radios, but not all. (The 2011 season will see the introduction of a one brand motor and speed control solution for the brushless classes) The boost issue and the speeds attainable with this technology have forced this action to the TCS series.

Issue: Spec Battery

1. The introduction of the Spec Lipo battery was implemented 2 years ago. It has worked out well. It has provided a level playing field at an affordable price. However, we are no longer able to supply you the same battery. The battery itself has slightly changed and we can’t bring it to you at the same price as last year. In the interest of cost and some other factors, we are making the following change: If you have an Orion 3400 Lipo battery from the last two years, you may still use it for all classes. At the same time, if you would like to use the new Peak battery, you may purchase them at the online registration process. Either battery is legal for Mini, GT-3 and GT-2. GT-1, F-1 and FF-03 may use any legal TCS battery including the Peak battery that may be purchased during registration.

Issue: GT-3 Sport Tuned motor

1. In the interest of cost and durability, the regional 540-J silver can motor is the motor we will revert to. Forget about the Sport tuned option.

Issue: FF-03 as a second class.

1. We appreciate the enthusiasm with the new FF-03. Therefore, if you want to run GT-4 (FF-03) as your one and only second class you may do so.

Issue: Trip winning classes

1. The trip winning classes have been in flux from time to time. The reason for this is simple. Tamiya Japan makes Tamiya World Championship class decisions mid way or later from the racing year. As some of you will remember, Mini was dropped due to lack of interest some years ago. It made a comeback and it has been back on our trip winning schedule for years now. F-1 has gone through the same flux and now we are seeing the same thing with other classes. Interest in classes always change and usually come and go. It is mostly due to product selection/variety and costs. Front drive has a huge potential to come back and Tamiya is working hard to promote it. F1 is back in a big way and it’s great to see new faces race the series with the F104.
2. In the past we used to have 4 trip winning classes, but due to class interest it has been knocked down to 3 for many years. We attempted to bring back a 4th for this year, but bringing back a 4th isn’t possible as we had hoped. We will have to wait till possibly next year to add a 4th winning class. With that said, we are only able to send 3 winners again this year. The fairest way to reward the 3 trip winning classes is to evaluate attendance. The top three best participated classes for 2010 are Mini, GT-3 and F-1. GT-2 and GT-1 have suffered in attendance. GT-1 is the fastest and most expensive class, while GT-2 has become too fast for those who normally race in it due to the speeds attainable with the “boost” issue. It is for the above reasons that Mini, GT-3 and F-1 will be the 3 classes that will earn a trip to the Tamiya world finals. With the revamping of GT-1 and GT-2 for 2011, we are hopeful attendance and interest will grow again and we will consider these two for a World’s trip winning class in 2011. In the case of F103, I don’t think I need to go into great detail here. The F104 is Tamiya’s newest flagship F-1 car and Tamiya will only be running the F104 at the World Finals.

We appreciate everyone’s comments. While rules for the series will not always make everyone 100% warm and fuzzy, we have made some changes in the best interest for cost control and fairness to the participants.

The rules on our site will change shortly to reflect these changes and amendments I have outlined here. I hope to see everyone attend the event and I’m eager to bring you the most fun Nationals to date. We are planning some new things this year and we are eager to announce that Speed Tech RC will be the 2010 on site hobby store. We look forward to have them support the Tamiya brand and you at the Finals.

FM
Fred,
I commend you on your choices for the 3 classes Mini, GT3 and F1 for the Japan Trip this year! I have raced the TCS since it's inception and started with F1 and I really enjoy the new F104 on the Rubber Tires just got back from Fremont this week and we had a great A Main there under some challenging Track conditions but the car handled it very well. Can't wait for the 2010 Nationals in August and I agree that these 3 classes are the best for Tamiya and the participants. When might you post the "Drivers Manual" on the TCS website? and what days will there be open practice prior to 8/28 & 8/29 race weekend?

Great Job!
Steve
Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I think its mainly just because the F103 has been around for 16 or 17 years and now the F104 is the the next step for Tamiya. The M03 04 and 05 are all supported...but the M01 and M02 are not. Those came out around the same era that the original F102-F103s did and have since been discontinued and now are pretty hard to find.

I also loved the F103 as it was dialed pretty much right out of the box (15th anni version) but have moved to the F104. I have carried the flag before for discontinued Tamiya models and it becomes a very difficult and time consuming job just to keep them in race shape with spares.
But I've only had my F103 for about a year so they are new to me.

I dig this car, it's been really good to me.
Well, most of the time.
When it's off, it's undriveable.
When it's on, it is nearly perfect, if you wanna go faster just have to be able to steer faster.

I'm workin on the F104, it's pretty good already, option tires must be the key cause all I ever heard about the 104 on rubber was bad til recently.
Glad the tires were out when I got mine.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
B3 Pre-mounts will not be used on carpet tracks next year. I know some of you are wondering about that. A type tires are the way to go and we're not making those as pre-mounts. We want to go through the B3 compounds on out door venues and see how it pans out. That's the safe thing.

GT-4 will not be a novice class. Will it replace one of the existing GT classes? I really don't know. If GT-1 and GT-2 can be fixed next year, which it should be , we will see if all four GT classes can co-exist.

I'll be testing the FF-03 finally this Saurday with different power plant options. Should be interesting.

FM

My vote for FF03 is to give it more power then 540J. It should be a step up in speed over a mini. As it will already have better grip and areodynamics than a FWD mini, it seems it should have more power as well. Would be a shame to see them go slower at some tracks due to the weight difference.

Also may give me an excuss to try something new.

Regional TCS Racer HOF Stats
I received a huge amount of old race results to add to the list. Still waiting for results to be posted for 154 and 155. Once on the Tamiya web site, I will post the updated top 40. ALso, my data is missing full results for the following races: 42,47-64, 66 (GT2 is missing), 68, 76, and 77.

If anyone has this information (maybe from old RC car action Tamiya ads), I would appreciate it.

Erik
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Any idea if Fred is considering the Lightly Tuned motor as seen in the FF03 Pro pictures? I just so happen to have a brand new one in front of me right now!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Tech Rookie

I was told that the Tamiya Aliso track will be closed on
June 26 2010 for resurfacing! can this be confirmed
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Track issures!

Yes, you are correct the track will be closed for repairs. It will also be posted at the track tomorrow.
I'm not sure about re-surfacing the track. the asphalt is starting to crack again and we are doing some minor repairs to keep it under control, at least until the finals are done.
My understanding is the repairs are not for the racing surface itself. I too am still in the dark about what actually will be done, but I'm sure Fred will tell us tomorrow. I will keep you posted once I find out the details.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hooray for the rule changes! Fred and the tamiya crew always come through for us.

Man, that GT-3 class is going to be stacked

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.