Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamstrc
I originally intended on racing GT-2 at the nats when originally speaking to the man with all the TCS power that there would be a spec unit to control the speed of these insane Tekins (and this would also be a spec unit for future of TCS GT-2 class) but that did not happen looking at the Nats rules....

Mr. Wang,
I'm not eligible to win squat anymore, but I still show up for TCS to see old friends. You are one of them and I hope you can make it out.

I've heard that the reason for not using the spec Tamiya speedo is that they won't work with many of the 2.4 gHz high speed response systems out there.
If you need a Tekin, you can borrow mine.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had lots of fun yesterday. Track was a bit bumpy, but overall had a good day. See everyone at the Nats.
Thanks for posting race results quickly.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
You are gonna sell it in 2 weeks anyways, because you have the attention span of a gnat.
Jackhole.

Truedat.

And as for you Christensen!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

WTF!

Last edited by racenut123; 06-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
Mr. Wang,
I'm not eligible to win squat anymore, but I still show up for TCS to see old friends. You are one of them and I hope you can make it out.

I've heard that the reason for not using the spec Tamiya speedo is that they won't work with many of the 2.4 gHz high speed response systems out there.
If you need a Tekin, you can borrow mine.
call me, I'll be in the area (OCRC is having proline off-road race that same weekend...there, I said it ) Unless the rules gets amended and changed, that's where I'll be. We can do lunch (or dinner) and like you, I don't win squat either...I kind of just fill up the A-main grid on a good day, or podium in the B on a bad day (Tekin or not) but UNLIKE you...I never been to Japan on Tamiya's dime (gave up on that little dream many many many many many (yup, about that many) years ago).

And why does it have to be a tamiya speedo? Spec a Novak (like the VTA series) or LRP, Orion...we don't spec Tamiya batteries any more right?

Steve
Old 06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ling knows you too well, Hicks. LOL.

Originally Posted by racenut123
Jackhole.

Truedat.

And as for you Christensen!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Fun race this past weekend. Racing was intense and so was the weather
Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

no, don't have to apologize (well, except for the hoarding tire part... ) but I think you and I are pretty much on the same page if we were to discuss this in length. The fact is I think the rules were intended to be a step towards cost control, but by requiring everyone to buy new batteries and not allow to use some tires we already have, the rules did not achieve its primary goal (assuming that it is some kind of cost control measures) and it also did not serve the new class (FF) well by not letting people run it as a second class...and why a porsche body?

well, there's still 2.5 months left for the rules to be refined

Steve
I wont disagree with the cost control aspect, but if I had to guess, I would say Fred was trying to even up the odds for the out of towners. Now you dont have to have hundreds of hours testing dozens of inserts. I think you will see tighter racing, because you will have to gear accordingly and set the chassis up for optimal tire usage. If the # of sets of premounts are held to 2 or 3 for the weekend people will be more cautious with how aggressive they are with setup as well as driving. To me there starts to be racecraft and strategy involved, it starts to feel more like real racing. Im on the fence about the batteries.I understand where you are coming from. If I do make it out this year, it will be my first trip in 3 years, so I dont have the batteries that you guys ran last year. A 4000 40C pack isnt the worst pack you could get, as a matter of fact its better than what I run in my 104 right now, and I am sure that as an event sponsor, Orion will be fair on the price.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Clearing extras:

NIB Calsonic GT-R TB03 $170 shipped
New built Cusco Subaru TA05 Ver. 2 $160 shipped
Race winning M03R all the tricks $150 shipped

Drop me a PM if interested.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
I think his point is that some people slowly build up their supplies throughout the year just for Nats (like previous years).. buy as they go, bit by bit.. and for those who have done that (tried to spend wisely) have to start over.. thus costing even more..
I am a tire horder, I look for them to go on sale and buy them over the course of a year. I ended up with 9 sets of B3 made somewhere other than the USA. I even had matching dish rims to go with each set. My hopes was to wrangle another Nats event in 09. I did register for the Nats but, ended up with the Team Orion 3400 pack instead. Which was guaranteed as a more than once year pack. I am sure being a lipo it could last 10 years but it seems too many people bought them which created negative energy only allowing them to last for 1 year. Heck I don't blame Orion for DCing them!

I did goto Memphis last week and mounted 3 sets of my 9 B3s. Unfortunately not on any of my nine sets were capable of wearing dish wheels. I felt the need to spend my money to support Tamiya and TCS racing by buying spoke wheels. After Memphis my one GT3 set, they are like new, now if I can remove them from the rims and sell them as new, that would be a huge savings. GT2, the two sets I mounted up, it seems I should goto the Gulf and see if salty oil can work as a tire conditioner. They already have the wavy lines built into the surface which resembles the ocean.

I digress.

With no economic certainty I hope to start walking soon from Chicago to Aliso to save on air fare to have available funds to stock pile more B3s, motors, lipos, 24 uniforms and other stuff I need to race TCS. The best thing is seeing the country and living like Bear Grylls.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was referring more to those that felt the need to buy out the entire stock that Tamiya received at one point. I dont see a problem with buying a few pair on the cheap. I bought a group of Type A's one time because the price was right, I just mounted up my last set at Trackside this year.
Originally Posted by A-Ko
I am a tire horder, I look for them to go on sale and buy them over the course of a year. I ended up with 9 sets of B3 made somewhere other than the USA. I even had matching dish rims to go with each set. My hopes was to wrangle another Nats event in 09. I did register for the Nats but, ended up with the Team Orion 3400 pack instead. Which was guaranteed as a more than once year pack. I am sure being a lipo it could last 10 years but it seems too many people bought them which created negative energy only allowing them to last for 1 year. Heck I don't blame Orion for DCing them!

I did goto Memphis last week and mounted 3 sets of my 9 B3s. Unfortunately not on any of my nine sets were capable of wearing dish wheels. I felt the need to spend my money to support Tamiya and TCS racing by buying spoke wheels. After Memphis my one GT3 set, they are like new, now if I can remove them from the rims and sell them as new, that would be a huge savings. GT2, the two sets I mounted up, it seems I should goto the Gulf and see if salty oil can work as a tire conditioner. They already have the wavy lines built into the surface which resembles the ocean.

I digress.

With no economic certainty I hope to start walking soon from Chicago to Aliso to save on air fare to have available funds to stock pile more B3s, motors, lipos, 24 uniforms and other stuff I need to race TCS. The best thing is seeing the country and living like Bear Grylls.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
TCS Regional #155 Hobby Town USA Fremont

Results can be found here: Results

Thank you to everyone that came out. We had a great time. Hope to see you next year!
Thanks to the Hobby Town people and Mr. Hicks for putting on a good show. Sunday the wind stayed away most of the day and for a bumpy parking lot, John's special blend mojo juice made for pretty good traction for all classes. Our team had a fun time !
Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yeah, sounds a bit expensive even for GT-3 since I now have a bunch of B3 and rims that I've been saving which will now be pretty much useless...and since I don't have a Tekin, GT-1/2 will be expensive as well. And unfortunately we can't run GT-4 as a second class, then might as well cancel the FF03 (sorry speed tech)

shoot....I guess no TCS for me this year?...

Steve
I can understand the idea of "trying" to have parity but at what cost ?

People who plan ahead and do not wait until the last minute or conserved tires during the regionals now have to buy all new sets for the nats and can not use what they want. I think the phrase "tire hoarder" is about as lame and tired today as people calling someone "racist" because they disagee with you. As for you "out of towners", the insert used by most at Tamiya is hardly a secret and has been mentioned on this thread a few times before. Don't remember it ? Look it up. So why get mad at someone who is not happy that they prepared ahead and now will have to shell out an additional $ 40.00 / set (about what a pre-mount set will go for) to race when they already have them ? I guess being "prepared" is now a disadvantage.

Batteries - that 4000 mah Orion will probably be a good buy for mini and F104 drivers but it is very slim that anyone running sedan does not have a 5000 mah already. Plus, GT-1 and GT-2 now have to "down grade" from what they ran all year. Who thinks it is a good idea to make someone spend $ 50-55 on a battery that will not even be a very useful practice pack ? Just look at the Orion 3400's used the last 2 years. You can buy at retail price today 3400 mah batteries for $ 30.00 with more punch than those.

Now, what about those drivers that like to race at the nats and know they do not have a chance to make the A because of thier skill, not their equipment or budget or were going to run one of the non trip winning sedan classes ? They can not use their own batteries or even there new or used tires so that will discourage more people not to show up.

For people who keep wanting to spec just about everything in racing, this is the typical results, higher costs, not lower. The idea is well intended but rarely gets the desired results. Oh yeah, and the fast guys still seem to win wheter it is their home track or not. Just ask the 2008 GT-1 National Champion and 2006 GT-2 National Champion..... both from Canada.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Bummer.

Guess I just didn't want to believe the inevitable.

No F103s at the 2010 Nationals

I liked the 2 classes running. Coulda run F103 foam and F104 rubber and let just the F104 go to Japan?
I'll bet that in Japan those guys are bummin on no F103 too.

Also gotta buy a battery and a motor this year.

Unlike the mini class which impounds the motors, the F1 guys get to go F with the motors to reach or drop down to the 12,500 limit?
When Tamiya picks the motors, will they be close so if we don't/can't check em or F with em they will be in the "safe" zone after we just run em and keep em clean?
Will they check em for us if we ask?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I guess being "prepared" is now a disadvantage.
I have had it both ways.

Buying obvious tires, rims, inserts and batteries in advance only to have them unusable by Tamiya's next years rules.

or

Waiting till the rules are released then scrambling to get parts 1 month before the race and having 5 distributors say they are on B.O. Which you don't know until a few weeks later and many calls to the LHSs. Which puts you into either making a rushed (expensive) over seas order, trying a shop in Japan or hoping your friends have it TCS weekend. Although usually the hoarders still hoard them.

The only advantage I am looking for is a decent nights sleep before a TCS race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.