Mini TQ Brandon Koslosky
Mini 1st. Brandon Koslosky
2nd. Ken Brumblay
3rd. John Frazier
4th. John Balatico
5th. Troy Crabtree
6th. Timm Copp

B Main Winner Mini Mark Hinckley

GT1 TQ Juan Aveytia (sorry for the spelling)
GT1 1st. Juan Aveytia
2nd. Albert Jimmenez (I hope thats right

GT2 TQ James Arluck GT3 TQ Alan Mok
GT2 1 st. James Arluck GT3 1st. Alan Mok

F1 Class TQ Tony Tam
1st Tony Tam
2nd Bruce Hickman
3rd. Forgot his name
4th. Steve Hickman

This is all off memory and its 1:?? a.m. after a long ride from norcal so if I screwed up the spelling of youre name or put you in the wrong spot sorry but its damn close. Mini is excactly right since I have the print out. Good night have to be up in 3 hrs for work I will rant later regarding the race and thank everyone else tomorrow.
So the TQ won every event? Were any of them close, or were they all run-aways? Looks like a good day of racing regardless of the surface.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamstrc
yeah, sounds a bit expensive even for GT-3 since I now have a bunch of B3 and rims that I've been saving which will now be pretty much useless...and since I don't have a Tekin, GT-1/2 will be expensive as well. And unfortunately we can't run GT-4 as a second class, then might as well cancel the FF03 (sorry speed tech)

shoot....I guess no TCS for me this year?...

Steve
You make it sound like it has never cost you any money to run the Nats.
I think one year I was lucky to get out of there for around a grand.
I have no sympathy for the guys that are complaining about useless tires, it serves you right for hoarding the supply and making it impossible for the rest of us to get them.
Hopefully there will be a limit on the number of sets you can buy, I personally think three is a good number.Of course if I am able to make it out this year (which at this point is not looking good) I will be running F1, so it really doesn't affect me.
Beyond that, tires and motors are kind of a disposable commodity anyways. If you dont overgear your car, you should be able to run one motor all weekend. And you know that whatever tires you run will be junk by the end of the weekend.
So what to do with the stuff you have?
Practice, test, save them for regionals, you all know they wont go to waste.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I think one year I was lucky to get out of there for around a grand.
I have no sympathy for the guys that are complaining about useless tires, it serves you right for hoarding the supply and making it impossible for the rest of us to get them.
Hopefully there will be a limit on the number of sets you can buy, I personally think three is a good number.Of course if I am able to make it out this year (which at this point is not looking good) I will be running F1, so it really doesn't affect me.
Beyond that, tires and motors are kind of a disposable commodity anyways. If you dont overgear your car, you should be able to run one motor all weekend. And you know that whatever tires you run will be junk by the end of the weekend.
So what to do with the stuff you have?
Practice, test, save them for regionals, you all know they wont go to waste.

Ok...just to clear up something: most on here knows me well enough that my statement is more half joking and half...well, complaining (as we all like to do on the Internet) Since racing TCS in 2000, I've only missed one Nats due to family reasons (so I've been a long supporter of this series)...HOWEVER:

I originally intended on racing GT-2 at the nats when originally speaking to the man with all the TCS power that there would be a spec unit to control the speed of these insane Tekins (and this would also be a spec unit for future of TCS GT-2 class) but that did not happen looking at the Nats rules. And just to be clear...I have nothing against the Tekin, in fact I believe other ESC companies should try and catch up and not pressure racing organizations to ban the Tekin. But for me personally, it would mean a new ESC ($200) a Peak 4000 battery (at least $50, which will be a practice pack after the nats anyway...no one is going to race with those, like someone said, most have 5000s, and I already have plenty of practice packs ) and lets just say 3-4 sets of premounts (say $25 bucks a set...so 75-100 bucks) total of $325-$350, which is not bad (I know I've sent more before) however, if we were to be allowed to run the spec batteries from last year (Orion 3400) which most of us already have, and tires that we might have left over, we can shave a $125-$150 off the cost mentioned above right?

Oh, and in reference to your comment about "Hoarding tires" I tried saving a set of B3 that I originally intended on using during each of the two regionals this year, so I ended up with a few set of new B3 that I saved (not hoard) Hoarding are those that looks around on ebay for new Bs or check the origin of the B3 made (Japan or Thailand, or Philipines) for the best compound and then buy them in 10-12 sets at a time...that's hoarding, and yes, it serves them right for those that takes it to that level, but just so you know, your comments about my tire "situation" is a bit misguided. Lastly, having tires ahead of time is call preparing, and for 7 years that I owned Speed Tech R/C, it never fails that Thursday/Friday before the national weekend, I still have guys coming in looking for B3 and rims. Sometimes I ordered extras for these guys, sometimes, I just run out. Now as far as the tires I have, yes, I can practice with them (although I don't practice any more) or save them for the regionals next year (assuming they'll still be good) but that still does not change the fact that more $$ will have to come out of our pocket at the nats for the pre-mounts

For GT-3, there will probably be a 2 motor limit (maybe 3...one year it was 3 and one year it was 2) so that will run anywhere from $30-45, plus that peak battery ($50) and the tires (again, $75-100) so that puts us right around $200. And you will use the maximum number of motor allowed for this class at the national, whether it is 2 or 3. Even if you gear your car right, the black cans are good for 2 runs....they live a hard life in a 4WD touring cars. Again, if we are allowed to use battery from last year and our own tires, cost could be lower for all that's attending.

For GT-4, that was a class I was really excited about, and was hoping to run as a second class at the Nationals to make the day more interesting. I really think the attendance for this class would be much higher (I would estimate doubled) if racers are allowed to enter this as a second class. If Tamiya USA wants to move a couple more units of these nice FF03, that would be the smart thing to do. I would purchase a FF03, and just run it for the nats (and use hand me down tires from my GT-3 car) if it was allowed as a second class. But for it to be the only class you can run at the nats and have to forego a GT-1/2/3 class that you've been working on throughout the year, then in my opinion you just turned off a few potential buyers. Look, it's a new car, a new(revival actually) of a class, and it is happening right before the biggest race of your company (TCS Nats) take the opportunity and be smart about it and sell a few more kits. If there is going to be 2 heats of FF03 at the nats, then I'm willing to bet that there will be 4 heats of FF03 if it was allowed as a second class.

Thanks for reading

Steve
Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok...just to clear up something: most on here knows me well enough that my statement is more half joking and half...well, complaining (as we all like to do on the Internet) Since racing TCS in 2000, I've only missed one Nats due to family reasons (so I've been a long supporter of this series)...HOWEVER:

I originally intended on racing GT-2 at the nats when originally speaking to the man with all the TCS power that there would be a spec unit to control the speed of these insane Tekins (and this would also be a spec unit for future of TCS GT-2 class) but that did not happen looking at the Nats rules. And just to be clear...I have nothing against the Tekin, in fact I believe other ESC companies should try and catch up and not pressure racing organizations to ban the Tekin. But for me personally, it would mean a new ESC ($200) a Peak 4000 battery (at least $50) and lets just say 3-4 sets of premounts (say $25 bucks a set...so 75-100 bucks) total of $325-$350, which is not bad (I know I've sent more before) however, if we were to be allowed to run the spec batteries from last year (Orion 3400) which most of us already have, and tires that we might have left over, we can shave a $125-$150 off the cost mentioned above right?

Oh, and in reference to your comment about "Hoarding tires" I tried saving a set of B3 that I originally intended on using during each of the two regionals this year, so I ended up with a few set of new B3 that I saved (not hoard) Hoarding are those that looks around on ebay for new Bs or check the origin of the B3 made (Japan or Thailand, or Philipines) for the best compound and then buy them in 10-12 sets at a time...that's hoarding, and yes, it serves them right for those that takes it to that level, but just so you know, your comments about my tire "situation" is a bit misguided. Lastly, having tires ahead of time is call preparing, and for 7 years that I owned Speed Tech R/C, it never fails that Thursday/Friday before the national weekend, I still have guys coming in looking for B3 and rims. Sometimes I ordered extras for these guys, sometimes, I just run out. Now as far as the tires I have, yes, I can practice with them (although I don't practice any more) or save them for the regionals next year (assuming they'll still be good) but that still does not change the fact that more $$ will have to come out of our pocket at the nats for the pre-mounts

For GT-3, there will probably be a 2 motor limit (maybe 3...one year it was 3 and one year it was 2) so that will run anywhere from $30-45, plus that peak battery ($50) and the tires (again, $75-100) so that puts us right around $200. And you will use the maximum number of motor allowed for this class at the national, whether it is 2 or 3. Even if you gear your car right, the black cans are good for 2 runs....they live a hard life in a 4WD touring cars. Again, if we are allowed to use battery from last year and our own tires, cost could be lower for all that's attending.

For GT-4, that was a class I was really excited about, and was hoping to run as a second class at the Nationals to make the day more interesting. I really think the attendance for this class would be much higher (I would estimate doubled) if racers are allowed to enter this as a second class. If Tamiya USA wants to move a couple more units of these nice FF03, that would be the smart thing to do. I would purchase a FF03, and just run it for the nats (and use hand me down tires from my GT-3 car) if it was allowed as a second class. But for it to be the only class you can run at the nats and have to forego a GT-1/2/3 class that you've been working on throughout the year, then in my opinion you just turned off a few potential buyers. Look, it's a new car, a new(revival actually) of a class, and it is happening right before the biggest race of your company (TCS Nats) take the opportunity and be smart about it and sell a few more kits. If there is going to be 2 heats of FF03 at the nats, then I'm willing to bet that there will be 4 heats of FF03 if it was allowed as a second class.

Thanks for reading

Steve
Hey Steve, I kinda knew that would be your response, I know I quoted your post, those comments were not shot squarely at you.
I dont disagree with anything that you said actually.
You may not have hoarded tires, but we all know that there are guys out there sitting on big stashes.
My solution to the Tekin issue is to have a common software profile that could be loaded into any speed control, because lets face it, the Tekin controller is nothing special other than its ability to run that software, I have said before that my issue with the Tekin is not the cost, but the fact that you are locked into running that speedo or running in the back of the pack.
Sorry if I came across as picking on you
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

No..unfortunately for the Norcal guys,this is year 3 of the SirSwiftalot domination.I am coming out of retirement to show them what needs to be done.Brandon was head and shoulders over everyone.He deserved the win.And yes,Brandon, I just purchased my mo5 this morning.
Originally Posted by minimadman2003
So the TQ won every event? Were any of them close, or were they all run-aways? Looks like a good day of racing regardless of the surface.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:25 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

"itís a manageable cost/high excitement series."

Obviously, Tamiya can do what they want for their series, but cost is a factor. Touring cars in general have a fallen off in popularity and cost is one of the reasons. When Trackside can no longer support on road racing then there is a problem. It's good that Tamiya has come out with the rules for the Nats. early, but I'm sure the additional cost will discourage people. I hope that the turnout for the Nats. is great, but companies like Tamiya, Losi, Associated, etc to bring back the popularity of the TC class, and cost is a big factor.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
"itís a manageable cost/high excitement series."

Obviously, Tamiya can do what they want for their series, but cost is a factor. Touring cars in general have a fallen off in popularity and cost is one of the reasons. When Trackside can no longer support on road racing then there is a problem. It's good that Tamiya has come out with the rules for the Nats. early, but I'm sure the additional cost will discourage people. I hope that the turnout for the Nats. is great, but companies like Tamiya, Losi, Associated, etc to bring back the popularity of the TC class, and cost is a big factor.
Scotty is probably one of the brighter/smarter professionals in this industry whom I admire greatly. We sponsored his short-course showdown race earlier this year and for a track owner, if you saw over 250 entries at your race base on pretty much 1 class of vehicle, then the math is pretty simple: make a bigger off-road track and add more pit-space.

Steve
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Hey Steve, I kinda knew that would be your response, I know I quoted your post, those comments were not shot squarely at you.
I dont disagree with anything that you said actually.
You may not have hoarded tires, but we all know that there are guys out there sitting on big stashes.
My solution to the Tekin issue is to have a common software profile that could be loaded into any speed control, because lets face it, the Tekin controller is nothing special other than its ability to run that software, I have said before that my issue with the Tekin is not the cost, but the fact that you are locked into running that speedo or running in the back of the pack.
Sorry if I came across as picking on you
no, don't have to apologize (well, except for the hoarding tire part... ) but I think you and I are pretty much on the same page if we were to discuss this in length. The fact is I think the rules were intended to be a step towards cost control, but by requiring everyone to buy new batteries and not allow to use some tires we already have, the rules did not achieve its primary goal (assuming that it is some kind of cost control measures) and it also did not serve the new class (FF) well by not letting people run it as a second class...and why a porsche body?

well, there's still 2.5 months left for the rules to be refined

Steve
Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

TCS Regional #155 Hobby Town USA Fremont

Results can be found here: Results

Thank you to everyone that came out. We had a great time. Hope to see you next year!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm sure he knows it costs money to run Nats..

I think his point is that some people slowly build up their supplies throughout the year just for Nats (like previous years).. buy as they go, bit by bit.. and for those who have done that (tried to spend wisely) have to start over.. thus costing even more..
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for reading

Steve

+1 I am with Steve, I have some new tires left over from previous races I planned to use for the Nationals - o'well that plan is not going to work

+1 I also was hoping to be able to run my new FF03 as a second class at the Nationals - Maybe a good solution is if Tamiya USA allows us to run our "new" FF03's as a second class and not require us to use the "spec premount tires", that way we all can use our extra B3's and everyone is happy
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
I just purchased my mo5 this morning.
You are gonna sell it in 2 weeks anyways, because you have the attention span of a gnat.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
You are gonna sell it in 2 weeks anyways, because you have the attention span of a gnat.
nice!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

I also agree with Steve...

I have several sets of 1 run tires and one set of 1 lap tires from the last race...I was hoping to use them for the Nats...

Also...why spec a battery...we all have batteries already....we should be able to use them. Seems like wasting money....I dont have much to waste anymore...wasted it all in years past.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why was a sponsored driver allowed to run GT2 at Fremont?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.