Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default TA04 Setup

oopppsss...forgot the droop and some shock info on the setup...

On average I ran 2mm of rear droop. I would lower to 1.5 if I felt the track grip was going away.

As far as the shocks, I ran double o-rings on the front shocks and built the shocks with a moderate amount of rebound. i.e. when you push the shock in the resistance increased and the shock would come out fairly quickly on it's own. I did this (along with the grey springs, 70w oil and blue sway bar) to reduce the TA04's tendency to oversteer somewhat, and equally as important to reduce the amount of transition when going through that dreaded "kink". The year before when I ran the same car, I ran white springs, 70W, 3 hole, no rebound...the car was much better this year. The main improvement was the front end of the car no longer dipped too much. The year before the car dipped too much, which made the car have a tendency to loop when I applied brakes after the kink, unless my car was perfectly straight. In fact I remember giving up the lead in one of the races last year to Scotty E (the legend) after looping under braking after the kink....I was determined not to let that happen this year...

The rear shocks I built as normal...with the red sponge instead of o-rings and no rebound. I used three whole pistons in both the front and the rear shocsk.

If I remember correctly the fixed handout gearing was 128/35? but I don't have the car in front of me to verify as I write this.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Martin, you should write an article and post it on the Tamiya site!
Or he can write one and post it on the TAOB website so we can have a honorary member up in Canada! how about it Martin?!?

btw.. thanks for the email. ill shoot one back to you as soon as i get done with testing tonight at socal!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: TA04 Setup

Originally posted by Martin Crisp
Thanks Martin for the info.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: TA04 Setup

On average I ran 2mm of rear droop. I would lower to 1.5 if I felt the track grip was going away.

As far as the shocks, I ran double o-rings on the front shocks and built the shocks with a moderate amount of rebound. i.e. when you push the shock in the resistance increased and the shock would come out fairly quickly on it's own. I did this (along with the grey springs, 70w oil and blue sway bar) to reduce the TA04's tendency to oversteer somewhat, and equally as important to reduce the amount of transition when going through that dreaded "kink". The year before when I ran the same car, I ran white springs, 70W, 3 hole, no rebound...the car was much better this year. The main improvement was the front end of the car no longer dipped too much. The year before the car dipped too much, which made the car have a tendency to loop when I applied brakes after the kink, unless my car was perfectly straight. In fact I remember giving up the lead in one of the races last year to Scotty E (the legend) after looping under braking after the kink....I was determined not to let that happen this year...

The rear shocks I built as normal...with the red sponge instead of o-rings and no rebound. I used three whole pistons in both the front and the rear shocsk.

If I remember correctly the fixed handout gearing was 128/35? but I don't have the car in front of me to verify as I write this.
Martin, love your setup book. It's hard to believe that it was you who wrote it.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

I am sure Martin could have sold and autographed his setup books at the Nats. That is if there were enough after the past chumps bought them ... he he he..

It is a great book and one of the few I proudly keep at my workbench or in my tackle box. I just hope my earlier version is not too outdated by more of his chassis wizardry.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by A-Ko
I am sure Martin could have sold and autographed his setup books at the Nats. That is if there were enough after the past chumps bought them ... he he he..

It is a great book and one of the few I proudly keep at my workbench or in my tackle box. I just hope my earlier version is not too outdated by more of his chassis wizardry.
I lost my setup book. But I have a feeling that it most likely was taken from me.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default setup book

LOL!! ))

Neil - I can't believe I wrote it either...)) It was a lot of work (about 8 months) to actually get it done, researched, printed, distributed etc...but it was worth it, when I see them on someone's pit table or get comments like the ones in this thread,...it makes me happy that I wrote the book.

cya,

Martin
Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: setup book

LOL!! ))

Neil - I can't believe I wrote it either...)) It was a lot of work (about 8 months) to actually get it done, researched, printed, distributed etc...but it was worth it, when I see them on someone's pit table or get comments like the ones in this thread,...it makes me happy that I wrote the book.

cya,

Martin
Do you plan to write a newer edition?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default setup book

yeah...I have plans to write a newer version.....

what topics would you want to see covered????
Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: setup book

yeah...I have plans to write a newer version.....

what topics would you want to see covered????
Hi Martin,
I think I might have some suggestions on what to cover for another book.
First, I'm a little confused on the setting of droop. Not on what affects it has on the car but more like how to check droop and measure droop i.e. I believe that most racers I see checking droop are using a tool or tools that measure the distance between the chassis and the bottom of the A-arm.
But I also have seen racers adjust the droop screws and then measure the length of the shock! Next, some set-up sheets (TAMIYA) call out a distance between the chassis and the center of the wheel hub. Last I read in your book that droop is the amount of vertical travel the chassis moves until the wheel come off the ground. Is this what you measure when you say you have 2mm droop in the car (TAO4 settings). If so how do you measure this? One more issue with droop! If someone measures droop by the distance bewteen the chassis and the A-arm and they increase this distance, aren't they actually decreasing the amout of droop i.e reducing the amount of up travel?
O.K. enough of that, as for suggestions on the book how about the setting of the controllers and how they affect the car and maybe something on the type of bodies used and how they affect handling. I.E. tall wing vs. short. type of body Stratus vs. Mazda 6?
Thanks for all your help and looking forward on the new or revised edition of your book!
Max!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Also Martin. I would like to see covered what to do with a car that is loose entering a corner and then pushes while exitsiting a corner. Or pushes entering a corner on power then loose off power. etc. So I would know what to do if I am having trouble with both situations at the same time while on the track. Thank you!

-Lee
Old 10-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

one more thing martin. how about radio settings? such as when the car oversteers turn the steering down, or when the car understeers turn the steering up, etc. thanks!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default radio settings

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the ideas. I know what you mean about the many different ways to measure droop, which makes it difficult to understand setups documented by others. The reason I measure droop the way I do, is that it works with any diameter tire. Since I run foam and rubber tires, I find this approach works the best.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Hi Martin,

Another thing you can add to your book is wind tunnel testing on the bodies. My interest is more on the Tamiya side, so you will have about 50 bodies to test...

Also what diet are you supposed to eat before a big race. Again not covered in your book. Don't say Tim Hortons, Don't say Tim Hortons....

And finally, what is your favorite color... You did not mention that in the book....

Last edited by A-Ko; 10-05-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Martin,

I don't know who wrote that last post, I'm in denile, not swimming.

I think some of the previous posts sumarized some of the stuff you could put in your next generation.

How to check your chassis tweak?
Some do it with tools some without. I am without.

How to check your droop?
There are many different ways to check this. Maybe a few different ways would be benificial to other people.

Gearing rules of thumb to power.

Brushes for motors.

Tires, wheels and inserts.

I could come up with more, then I would be writing the book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.