Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree792Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
  #13396  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Thanks Tamiya for a fun race day... loved seeing so many rubber F1's on the track... very, very cool...

On board view ... get your barf bag ready

http://web.me.com/imagemind/Site/Welcome.html
Aw man!
Can't see the viddy.

I get a red x in the corner?
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
  #13397  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,196
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Nice job Cuda
robk is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM
  #13398  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Thanks MrK!

I hope you know you were my first source for information when I got into this F1 thing last year. (givin props)
I used all your tips to get going and picked up some extra tid bits along the way.
Now that I won the F104 F60 kit I'm gonna have to start all over again.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
  #13399  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
414MPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 989
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Great job in F1 foam Craig!

I was wondering how you ran so clean in the main and now I know it's because you forgot what was on the line. It was a ton of fun trying to catch you but just could not seal the deal. Very nice drive kid. (he got that wrong...... )

Thanks again to Tamiya and the crew for another wonderful weekend of racing at the Aliso track. (115 days and counting)

Special thanks to my great friends Don, Lee and Sally for the great hospitality and local cheering section.

It will be tuff waiting till August to see everyone again. I feel so blessed to have made so many friends at the Aliso track that there is no way I can list you all. Paul and I will see you then guys.....
414MPH is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
  #13400  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 814
Default

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Great job in F1 foam Craig!

I was wondering how you ran so clean in the main and now I know it's because you forgot what was on the line. It was a ton of fun trying to catch you but just could not seal the deal. Very nice drive kid. (he got that wrong...... )

Thanks again to Tamiya and the crew for another wonderful weekend of racing at the Aliso track. (115 days and counting)

Special thanks to my great friends Don, Lee and Sally for the great hospitality and local cheering section.

It will be tuff waiting till August to see everyone again. I feel so blessed to have made so many friends at the Aliso track that there is no way I can list you all. Paul and I will see you then guys.....
Where are the results? Who won what?
Crashby is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
  #13401  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Some TCS Pictures

Bummed wasn't able to race Sunday, drove my camera instead.
Some pictures of some buddies, sorry wasn't able to get all my friends in.

http://www.pbase.com/sun_tzu/
RaceBucks is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
  #13402  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (120)
 
JasonC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: oceanside ca
Posts: 4,099
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Crashby
Where are the results? Who won what?
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/race.php?tcs_race-id=98
JasonC is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM
  #13403  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Thanks again Marty, you're one of the good guys!

You just couldn't let me keep the round 1 TQ huh?

That's ok, I really just wanted the hat and found a car kit next to it.
Honestly forgot about that being part of a win.

So, who's got the hot ticket for the F104?
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
  #13404  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA

So, who's got the hot ticket for the F104?
I would check Rtype on that one, he was pretty dominant in Q1 & Q2
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
  #13405  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,908
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I would check Rtype on that one, he was pretty dominant in Q1 & Q2
You're right, I'm hittin him up immediately!
Yesterday he said it was a short list.
Right!
Helps if your skills could drive a dump truck to a TQ too.

His setup tips are all over my F103.

Rod, you'll be gettin a pm soon!
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
  #13406  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,978
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
You're right, I'm hittin him up immediately!
Yesterday he said it was a short list.
Right!
Helps if your skills could drive a dump truck to a TQ too.

His setup tips are all over my F103.

Rod, you'll be gettin a pm soon!
I should be at the track next weekend and you can test drive and xerox the car if you want. The car's decent when the track temps are slightly above freezing and if you can keep up with the minor steering-throttle inputs-corrections

The following is what's on my car:
  • F104 Pro chassis
  • Soft T Plate set to "floppy". Just make sure it's on straight and has decent movement.
  • Aluminum pod with lowest ride height.
  • Diff has some slip when holding the tire and spur so I guess it ranks as "medium" tight/loose? It doesn't slip on track.
  • AE red label silicon grease on top damper plate. Dry on the bottom. Stock springs on damper plate with top hat nut 3mm-3.5mm down from the top. It kind of moves on it's own so that's why I gave a range. Don't forget to put an o-ring on top so you don't do the walk/search of shame.
  • Shock uses the old gold spring from a mini chassis (don't know which kit). No preload, basically turned all the way out. 3-hole piston with 200 or 300 weight oil (whichever tastes better ).
  • Aluminum camber mounts set to 2 degrees. I'm using the hex-head ball studs and they require an additional 1mm spacer to bring them back up to normal height.
  • Steering setup is stock, complete with stock ackerman, bumpsteer and all that noise haha. I tried various setups and this felt the best for me...your mileage may vary and you can experiment on your own to find whatever feels best for you.
  • Toe is about 1 degree of toe-in.
  • Black front spring with Tamiya hard grease on the king pins.
  • Ride height / spacers. Tamiya aluminum spacers: 2mm top and 2.5mm on the bottom (I think). Basically, the front end is higher than the rear.
  • Tires: Kit fronts with kit insert (no cut inserts) Rear soft option tires with the insert they came with (no cut inserts). Obviously glued with tire or rubber bands and thin CA to keep the tires nice and round No traction compound, just used simple green or goo gone for cleaning.
  • Gear ratio: smaller tamiya spur with 27 tooth pinion
  • Motor: box stock with acer synthetic oil on bushings...absofreakinglutely nothing done to it...not even cleaned with motorspray haha.
  • Futaba radio setup: 70%-80% dual rate from 100% lock to lock. Steering exponential at -20% or -25% if I'm feeling ham-fisted. Throttle expo -10% or none if I don't mash the trottle. Brakes are at 50%. This really doesn't slow the car down too much. I use it to trail brake while cornering to tighten the radius if needed.

I think that pretty much covers it.

edit: Ah there's the PM

Last edited by rtypec; 05-17-2010 at 08:38 PM.
rtypec is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
  #13407  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rtypec
The following is what's on my car:
What happened from TQ to your final finishing position?
Were you consumed by Hickman's Hauler?
A-Ko is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
  #13408  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palmdale
Posts: 3,658
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Pics of Marks TCS concourse winning F1...

http://www.charleslightfoot.com/car%...010_lotus.html
lightfoot is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
  #13409  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rtypec
I should be at the track next weekend and you can test drive and xerox the car if you want. The car's decent when the track temps are slightly above freezing and if you can keep up with the minor steering-throttle inputs-corrections

The following is what's on my car:
  • F104 Pro chassis
  • Soft T Plate set to "floppy". Just make sure it's on straight and has decent movement.
  • Aluminum pod with lowest ride height.
  • Diff has some slip when holding the tire and spur so I guess it ranks as "medium" tight/loose? It doesn't slip on track.
  • AE red label silicon grease on top damper plate. Dry on the bottom. Stock springs on damper plate with top hat nut 3mm-3.5mm down from the top. It kind of moves on it's own so that's why I gave a range. Don't forget to put an o-ring on top so you don't do the walk/search of shame.
  • Shock uses the old gold spring from a mini chassis (don't know which kit). No preload, basically turned all the way out. 3-hole piston with 200 or 300 weight oil (whichever tastes better ).
  • Aluminum camber mounts set to 2 degrees. I'm using the hex-head ball studs and they require an additional 1mm spacer to bring them back up to normal height.
  • Steering setup is stock, complete with stock ackerman, bumpsteer and all that noise haha. I tried various setups and this felt the best for me...your mileage may vary and you can experiment on your own to find whatever feels best for you.
  • Toe is about 1 degree of toe-in.
  • Black front spring with Tamiya hard grease on the king pins.
  • Ride height / spacers. Tamiya aluminum spacers: 2mm top and 2.5mm on the bottom (I think). Basically, the front end is higher than the rear.
  • Tires: Kit fronts with kit insert (no cut inserts) Rear soft option tires with the insert they came with (no cut inserts). Obviously glued with tire or rubber bands and thin CA to keep the tires nice and round No traction compound, just used simple green or goo gone for cleaning.
  • Gear ratio: smaller tamiya spur with 27 tooth pinion
  • Motor: box stock with acer synthetic oil on bushings...absofreakinglutely nothing done to it...not even cleaned with motorspray haha.
  • Futaba radio setup: 70%-80% dual rate from 100% lock to lock. Steering exponential at -20% or -25% if I'm feeling ham-fisted. Throttle expo -10% or none if I don't mash the trottle. Brakes are at 50%. This really doesn't slow the car down too much. I use it to trail brake while cornering to tighten the radius if needed.

I think that pretty much covers it.
I think you forgot a fews things.
New tyres every run, and
A lot of talent behind the wheel

Great info there on setup Rtype
Shame you couldn't seal the deal in the main, just goes to show how finicky those Tamiya rubber tyres are

Sure was nice to run one set of Type B foams all day on the 104.
I think they wore about 1 mm after 4 runs
RedBullFiXX is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
  #13410  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,324
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Pics of Marks TCS concourse winning F1...

http://www.charleslightfoot.com/car%...010_lotus.html
Gorgeous shots as usual Charles, looks like the bar has been raised
BP SHADOW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.