Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Lets open this can of worms...

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
I am really curious about the spec speedo... Any guesses? Havoc Pros? Or will it be 2-3 speedo choices?
Originally Posted by minimadman2003
To get it down to the brass tax SPEC class that many want it to be, I cannot see how you can do anything but spec ONE speedo and ONE motor. Any options creates added expense in the "well, I think brand X is faster" frenzy that we have today. So my opinion is keep it ONE BRAND SPEC, or keep the doors wide open for all brands.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

To get it down to the brass tax SPEC class that many want it to be, I cannot see how you can do anything but spec ONE speedo and ONE motor. Any options creates added expense in the "well, I think brand X is faster" frenzy that we have today. So my opinion is keep it ONE BRAND SPEC, or keep the doors wide open for all brands.

Welp, I sure hope they pick the Havoc Pro... Nice, reliable and most importantly inexpensive ESC in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fx35rc
Hey Guys,

I'm new to brushless and wanted to race GT 2 class. Can anyone recommend a competitive Brushless and Speedcontrol that is TCS Legal?

Thanks
The "Flavor of the Day" is the Tekin RS line ESC and any of the spec'ed motors (see the rules). I believe it is TCS-legal as of now. There are talks of a spec BL ESC for next year, but only a few know what that might be.

If you do opt for the Tekin, you will need to do your homework or phone a friend to get the right setup for Aliso. Too much of a good thing will start to fry motors.
Originally Posted by fx35rc
Thanks Minimadman. I appreciate it
buy yourself a high quality temp gun. you'll need to make sure you dont smoke your motors.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
buy yourself a high quality temp gun. you'll need to make sure you dont smoke your motors.

This man speak'eth from experience!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Lord

This man speak'eth from experience!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
When this rule popped up that used to happen.

I remember soundly beating Whippler (past champ) in a rally carpet main only to get taken out by a lap car when I slowed to not take the lap car ahead of me out. Whippler got by me and won the race. The kit went to 2nd place me that time, which was around the beginning of that rule. To me anytime you can beat a past champ or come close to it, that can be something special, assuming you have little luck on your side.

Another time in Cincinatti and Glen Burnie I remember the top 3 did not want the kit and so it was given to somebody else.

Basically the difference is past champs cannot claim a kit, so why can they claim it to give it away? They already get a medal, which I don't have a problem with. Then if a regular wins a kit (not past champ), he should be able to claim it or give it away, which some do. I would think 2nd place to a past champ should be able to claim it or pass it on, at least be given that choice.
+100 ! I totally agree. If the person is not eligible to get the prize, why are they eligible to give it away ? Want to talk about true sportsmanship, have the non-eligible winners prize go to the person who "deserves" the prize, 2nd place. Then 2n'ds prize goes to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

I am really curious about the spec speedo... Any guesses? Havoc Pros? Or will it be 2-3 speedo choices?
Fred is testing the Tamiya 12T esc / motor combo for relaibility and durability at the Aliso track. It would make more sense if Tamiya were to spec one system only that it be a Tamiya system.

Minimadman2003 - Agree with you that if you have multiple "spec" systems available, it will be no better than today. Before the Tekin RS, LRP came out with just prior to the nationals the SPX (or SXX. sorry, I am not a LRP guy) and with profile 8 "turbo", it was a speed advantage on the straights. That was okay because gee, it was just a "little faster". Then Tekin took their dog RS that a few others had at the Nationals from software version 199 to 203 and suddenly it is much faster than others and everyone is screaming it is the end of RC as we know it. If you want total "spec", make it one esc (that is not lap top or hand held programmable), one motor (that is sealed) and even spec gearing. Closet you can get to equal HP and what the National winners will face when they go to Japan.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Always nice to feel warm and fuzzy when giving the 1st place prize to a kid. However, I don't understand why it does not go to the person that deserves it, dare I say "earned" it, the most, the person who finished second.
+100 ! I totally agree. If the person is not eligible to get the prize, why are they eligible to give it away ? Want to talk about true sportsmanship, have the non-eligible winners prize go to the person who "deserves" the prize, 2nd place. Then 2n'ds prize goes to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
They would seem to "deserve" the right to choose whom they give away the prize to because they "earned" the right by winning as you imply in your first quote.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

12T ?! Maybe for Aliso.. for nationals.. but not for Trackside. That would be a ridiculous amount of power for any indoor track.

+1 for Tamiya system.. all about that, even though it is made by someone else.

Fred is testing the Tamiya 12T esc / motor combo for relaibility and durability at the Aliso track. It would make more sense if Tamiya were to spec one system only that it be a Tamiya system.

Minimadman2003 - Agree with you that if you have multiple "spec" systems available, it will be no better than today. Before the Tekin RS, LRP came out with just prior to the nationals the SPX (or SXX. sorry, I am not a LRP guy) and with profile 8 "turbo", it was a speed advantage on the straights. That was okay because gee, it was just a "little faster". Then Tekin took their dog RS that a few others had at the Nationals from software version 199 to 203 and suddenly it is much faster than others and everyone is screaming it is the end of RC as we know it. If you want total "spec", make it one esc (that is not lap top or hand held programmable), one motor (that is sealed) and even spec gearing. Closet you can get to equal HP and what the National winners will face when they go to Japan.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Depends on the longevity of the product. Some motors and ESCs are gone after a year. Fred was looking at options and would like to "lock it in" for 2 years to help us save on money. I am sure it will be something that has good support. Is this possible, I hope so, although Tekin would be a nice spec esc. . .
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

12T ?! Maybe for Aliso.. for nationals.. but not for Trackside. That would be a ridiculous amount of power for any indoor track.

+1 for Tamiya system.. all about that, even though it is made by someone else.

Ok.. found this system that is also available in the USA, equal to 23T BRUSHED.. so I little quicker than the old stock, this would be COOL!....

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...r-p-28425.html

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=45039

Is this the system? If so... looks like the speeds are not as high as say a 13.5 turn.. detuned possibly? or because it is sensorless.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Lord

Ok.. found this system that is also available in the USA, equal to 23T BRUSHED.. so I little quicker than the old stock, this would be COOL!....

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...r-p-28425.html

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=45039

Is this the system? If so... looks like the speeds are not as high as say a 13.5 turn.. detuned possibly? or because it is sensorless.
dont be scared of the "12T"... i drove it during testing. it felt like a fast (non boost) 17.5
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
dont be scared of the "12T"... i drove it during testing. it felt like a fast (non boost) 17.5
Oh boy... I feel the need to buy one to try it!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone else think this Tamiya Brushless sytem should be a spec esc/motor combo for a TCS class. I mean, if it works well and is reliable, this combo would be golden for GT-2. I strongly disagree with the spec gearing in sedan since it is so difficult to police. Ya, I do know that is how Japan does it. But remember, the TA-05 has different center and diff pulley sizes. Also, when you get into 414's, 415's and 416's all bets are off for spec gearing GT-1.

I say, let the driver tune his car and gearing to his strengths. With a spec esc/motor, most will end up very similar in the long run. And remember, just because they are spec, don't think for a min they are "identical" in torque or rpm, just very similar. Hence the request to be able to tune. Last year at the NA Finals, F-1 had a new motor (32 turn) thrown in as spec and everyone running it had no problem finding a gear that suited them and the given track.

Back in the day of 540 rubber tire F-103, gear ratios were all over the map anywhere between a 22 to 29 pinion / 93 spur due to drivers preference and the performance (lap times) were very similar.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kghills
They would seem to "deserve" the right to choose whom they give away the prize to because they "earned" the right by winning as you imply in your first quote.
If they are "not eligible" to win the prize, why should they be "eligible" to give away the prize ? Enjoy twisting that comment around to justify your position.

A little more info on Tamiya's 12T system. I can see how in the states, we will think it is insane fast. I had a KO brushless with 17.5 and ran with Fred with the Tamiya 12T system. The 12T was just "slightly" slower than what the 17.5's used to be pre-Tekin and LRP SXX so good power. They are sensorless systems and are not lap top programmable. As for reliability, Tamiya HK series ran them as their top sedan class in 2009. Tub chassis only, the 12T system and I think a spec 3800 lipo sold through the Tamiya HK dealer. From what I heard, the systems did well. Fred wants to test in the hot summer months to put the reliabilty to test. Now, we all suggested just giving it to Hebiki to test but we all agreed he could burn it up within 2-3 battery packs the way he gears so that would not work. Yes, Chris, we love you man !

414MPH - for gearing, personally, I am for open gearing and let the driver set to his style and if he over gears and burns it up, his issue. Also, more work for tech to police. Now at the Nationals for GT-2, it would be easier only because you could spec the specific size Tamiya spur and pinion for each car (the TA05 or TB03) like they do in Japan. For GT-1 like GT-2, I would prefer open gearing for both at Nationals but they also spec the spur and pinion in GT-1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.