Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
First time I mentioned it, really thought it is ridiculous sale. It took a class that is kinda like spec and turned it expensive like brushless. Is it a personal attack on Doc, nope, just the business of selling cheap ancient design of a motor as a latest and greatest motor. It could be anybody even my best friend and I would have the same opinion.

Two main fixtures in the hobby & TCS racing one said the sale of these motors is "lame". The other got upset saying it is A reason why tracks and hobbyshops close around the country and continued on to why. No, I will not share who said what. Although if you got upset for them saying those things and blasted them, you may have wished you did not.

This time, for me it is just a pride thing in saying I no longer would have a need for them, that is all. The gains I made between Omaha and Trackside in my motor department are legal and beyond expectations. Perhaps I could have phrased it differently so nobody gets upset, which I supposed I should have 20 people read my posts and see who gets upset, if nobody does, then I should post.

Everybody has an opinion, 12,5 - 13,0 - 13,5 - 15,0 - open, does it really matter? The people that have the knowledge will be faster and those that don't will continue to seek those that do for the faster motors. I spent over 3 years and many motors later to find this knowledge.

Perhaps I should offer an affordable cleaning service for those with "any dot" type of motor and bring them back from mediocrity. I know that was my problem in Omaha, as well as others like Core Creations. At Trackside some motors that Todd and I ran did go mediocre after the races and then came back with some TLC.
I have said from the beginning that I think it is ridiculous that one needs a motor guy for silvercan. Do I get my motors from Doc? yes Why? because he knows what he is doing and its one less thing I need to worry about. The real solution to this issue is to charge a $10 fee for each silvercan class, and limit one per racer, you get the motor when check in to the event, and there is a random motor check, if you pass, you keep going, if you fail, you are done for the weekend. It sounds draconian, but people wouldnt run to the edge if there was a consequence for doing so
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

F1 needs to be brushless. After all, it is F1
Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

FRED - is it legal to take a TA05v2 and convert the front to a TA05R stand up shock setup? If I use all Tamiya parts and get the aluminum bulkhead, is that legal?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robk
+F1

At the TCS Nationals I competed at many moons ago, it was any Bushed Mod.
With all kit parts, tires and everything, Why are we slower now ?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I have said from the beginning that I think it is ridiculous that one needs a motor guy for silvercan. Do I get my motors from Doc? yes Why? because he knows what he is doing and its one less thing I need to worry about. The real solution to this issue is to charge a $10 fee for each silvercan class, and limit one per racer, you get the motor when check in to the event, and there is a random motor check, if you pass, you keep going, if you fail, you are done for the weekend. It sounds draconian, but people wouldnt run to the edge if there was a consequence for doing so
I agree about the motor guy for silvercan. Unfortunately it is what it is. I don't really see it changing much unless Tamiya starts releasing a cheap BL system in, on or about their kits.

I am not into harsh penalties. Like if you were over 50 rpm for the race you are done for the event? The current method seems to work well and some fast guys were DQed that race.

I always been a fan of the grab bag or militant lock down for these motors but unfortunately this sucks up the resources of the event.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kghills
Wanted to thank Trackside and TamiyaUSA for the great race and all the great racers who turned out in Milwaukee. Jason can't stop talking about how much fun he had at this event. I think he really enjoyed the number of kids that were racing along with the adults.

He was proud to TQ and win Rally. He was also happy with how he placed in Buggy and GT1. But most of all I can tell you he had fun. Thank you to all who have helped in his first year of RC racing and first TCS. We are honored to be involved with such a great group of people.

The gold medal is off for 2nd grade show and tell tomorrow.

Keith and Jason.
I just want to say this is one AWESOME picture! I wasn't able to make the Trackside TCS this year, but it's great to see your son having a good time and getting into the TCS spirit. Rally at Trackside is a blast, isn't it!

My daughter (4th grade) and I are preparing her TT01E spec car for the Memphis TCS. Will she be competitive? I doubt it. Will she had a good time? I sure hope so! I have been waiting years for her to show an interest in daddy's hobby, and hopefully this will be the first of many TCS events I can enjoy with her and her younger sister when she is a little older.

Tell your son CONGRATS!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
My daughter (4th grade) and I are preparing her TT01E spec car for the Memphis TCS. Will she be competitive? I doubt it. Will she had a good time? I sure hope so! I have been waiting years for her to show an interest in daddy's hobby, and hopefully this will be the first of many TCS events I can enjoy with her and her younger sister when she is a little older.

Tell your son CONGRATS!
that's exactly the reason why I love the TCS races they are aimed at getting kids into the sports and having a good time...i'm about a year or so away from my daughter actually being ready to race and do something more the shake the wheels on the controller

I've run both the TCS and the HPI challenges - and the TCS hands down is better for younger racers
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Good call. 21.5 motors with any st00pid crazy timing ESC would work right?

Keith, I'm glad Jason still had fun in buggy. Mike Hollingsworth, Nick Seng and Jason made it very competitive!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I just want to say this is one AWESOME picture! I wasn't able to make the Trackside TCS this year, but it's great to see your son having a good time and getting into the TCS spirit. Rally at Trackside is a blast, isn't it!

Tell your son CONGRATS!
I read Jason your post this morning and he left for school with a very big smile. Thank you.

I was able to talk with a couple accomplished drivers about TCS when I learned the event existed. It was interesting for me to see how they had such fond memories of the event, as kids. I know my son Jason will now have such a memory that he will carry with him the rest of his life wether he stays involved with RC or not. As a parent I thank Tamiya for an event that provides such a positive experience by allowing people of all ages to compete and learn.

Rally was like a dream come true for him. He started RC just over a year ago when he saw a Slash at a real offroad event. He would not rest until I got him one about a month later. It was fun but our LHS was carpet so a few months after that I bought him an expert built Tamiya mini. He raced it a few times with limited success until the class sort of died here. We then became more involved in the hobby but mainly offroad. Still, the mini sat in the basement. Every time Jason looked at it he would say "wouldn't it be cool to race the mini offroad". He even tried to sneak it outside a couple times. A month ago I heard about the Rally class that runs with TCS at Trackside. I knew that if we attended and he had to just watch, it would kill him so I asked Scotty to order one up. It got here a couple weeks ago and you should have seen Jason's face when I told him about the class and showed him the kit. Here was a mini for offroad! Buck at Trackside put it together while Jason raced offroad that day. We took it home and painted the body, I put the electronics and motor that came in the kit in it, mounted his receiver and transponder and two weeks later we are back at Trackside for TCS. Friday is practice and we walk in with his TRF511, EVO 5 MS and the DF-03RA. Can you guess which model he wants to practice with? The Rally hits the track less than 24 hrs before qualifying. And, well, its not pretty. First the bumper is ripped off as he attempts jumps, then the new body is stuffed up into the chassis, then the motor is shaken loose and the pinion gear spins freely with no contact against the spur gear. Practice is over. Dad is all frowns but Jason is all smiles. He for some reason thinks this is fun. I remove the bumper, raise and cut the new body, change the screws for the motor and charge the battery. I have two thoughts at this point, "I am glad we came early to practice" and "this thing will never make it". We practiced with his other cars and then, Back to Rally! I am being a coach at this point telling him to roll the jumps and take it easy he does for the most part but sneaks an attempt in for a jump here and there. I figure this is as good as this gets and I let him run for like 10-15 minutes. Oh Oh, brushed motor! Its so hot I can't touch it. I remind Jason about it being brushed and that we need to let it cool down and limit run time a bit and not try the big jumps. He just smiles and says OK. Next day I say no practice with the Rally we need to focus on GT1 and Buggy. We qualify with them but I can tell he is waiting for, Rally time! He hits the track and does pretty good, rolls the jumps for the most part but there is something new. Water on the track. Up into the wall. Somehow he does well and comes of the drivers stand with a smile but you can tell he is thinking. He watches the other heats, afterwards he plays on the track. Just before his second qualifier he comes and gets me and pulls me to the track telling me he has found a new line. He makes me walk the track with him as he shows me every jump and every corner and descibes how best to drive each one. He tells me how he watched Scotty turn his wheels when he hit the water. I listen and think to myself, "is this real?" The next qualifier is with the resort and he is near the front, they call his name and let me tell you he is gone. He drives his line. Double, double, double to the table top, wide here close in here hit the water and counter steer. Holy crap he just TQed. He shakes the other drivers hands and comes off the stand glowing. He apologizes to me for jumping the doubles but points out he was only marshaled once. I tell him that he seemed to have it figured out and good job, wow. The next day the first two A mains are a repeat performance and he is OK with sitting out the 3rd. He also ran good with the Buggy and Sedan but his heart was in that Rally car. Yes, the Rally was stock out of the box, stock ESC and motor with no fancy break in against I think like 35 or so other entries. It was very cool.

There were both boys and girls at Trackside for the TCS races. I think it is great that they can come to this event and be involved and actually race. I saw lots of big smiles. I bet your girls will have a blast! I know for Jason it was an event where he actually put some pieces of the puzzle together for himself, learning and having fun all rolled into one. An event he and I will remember the rest of our lives.

Keith and Jason.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow, cool story!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Wow, cool story!
+1 (im hoping my boy gets into TCS.... )
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
jw
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Future Threat

You guys can argue and complain all that you want about motors and speed controls. But, you are missing the biggest threat to us seasoned racers.

It's those dang kids. There were a bunch at Trackside and I'm sure there are more at the other events. Just read above about Jason and below about Junior, you will start to understand the problem.

There were a couple in GT3. One of them in particular was called Junior. In the last qualifier, he survived a couple of wrecks and still put himself 8th in the show. He was behind me for a while and I even was able to hold him off for a couple turns. We got together and I got spun out, and you know what... he waited for me to get marshalled. I told him to go, go, go (it was really my fault for holding him up).

In the triple A mains, we started each race with a fist bump and wishes of good luck to each other. Unfortunately, good luck was not on his side. A wreck at the end of race one and ESC issues in race two sent him to the bottom of the points and he finished 10th overall. I finished 9th and when they say the better car doesn't finish where it should, that was true on Sunday. Who knows where Junior could have finished, but he should have been ahead of me. Through the adversity, Junior toughed it out and I think overall, he had a good day. It got a little better when Erik Whippler awarded him with a car kit, I think he deserved it.

The problem is that he, and the other kids, are just going to get better. They are not going to have adversity forever and soon are going to be beating the pants off of us "seasoned" racers.

They need to be stopped... I just don't see how.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I am being a coach at this point telling him to roll the jumps and take it easy he does for the most part but sneaks an attempt in for a jump here and there.....

Just before his second qualifier he comes and gets me and pulls me to the track telling me he has found a new line. He makes me walk the track with him as he shows me every jump and every corner and descibes how best to drive each one. He tells me how he watched Scotty turn his wheels when he hit the water. I listen and think to myself, "is this real?"....

Holy crap he just TQed. He shakes the other drivers hands and comes off the stand glowing. He apologizes to me for jumping the doubles but points out he was only marshaled once. I tell him that he seemed to have it figured out and good job, wow.
I LOVE IT! Keith, I told you how impressed I was about his sportsmanship! How respectful of him to apologize for jumping some doubles too!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jw
You guys can argue and complain all that you want about motors and speed controls. But, you are missing the biggest threat to us seasoned racers.

It's those dang kids....

We got together and I got spun out, and you know what... he waited for me to get marshalled. I told him to go, go, go (it was really my fault for holding him up)...

Who knows where Junior could have finished, but he should have been ahead of me. .... It got a little better when Erik Whippler awarded him with a car kit, I think he deserved it.
What is interesting is these kids don't really think about were they could be if they don't wait. They just know that they are supposed to wait. It is what the good racers do and they want to be good racers. Just like the adults they are racing with.

Erik giving away his top prize, can you think of any better example a champion could set. This is TCS at its finest.

Originally Posted by AaronR
I LOVE IT! Keith, I told you how impressed I was about his sportsmanship!
The kids are learning it from their fellow racers, you guys and gals should be impressed with yourselves for setting such good examples.

There are so many good aspects to this hobby when approached with a positive attitude. TCS seems to highlight these and I think that is why it comes so highly recommended by former and present racers.

Keith.

Last edited by kghills; 04-14-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Erik giving away his top prize, can you think of any better example a champion could set. This is TCS at its finest.

Not only did he give away his top prize... Erik gave away BOTH TOP PRIZES!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.