Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
  #13021  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 1,660
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JoeGlover
Wow I didn't realize asking a question about bodies or whatever the case is was frowned apon around here.

Thats definetly not a good attitude.

When someone asks me what I'm running, I tell them. But thats just me I guess. I'd rather beat a guy staright up then lie to him or not answer his questions.

I recall giving advice to a guy at the Nats in August and letting another racer(these guys were in my class by the way) take my car and look it over. Answered his questions as to why I was running my set-up the way I was ect. Both said thanks and it helped them out.

I guess I should put a blanket over my car and keep my mouth shut next time. I didn't realize we were racing for the greatest in the world title, I thought we were racing toy cars.
+1

I understand that in a public forum you may not want to share all of your speed secrets, but I know several of you will (through PMs) share some info to help those of us who are not blessed to be living in Southern California and not able to run PACK AFTER PACK on the Tamiya track. Racers often ask these questions to try and get close to a decent setup and not be completely out of control and in your way when we finally make it to the R/C Mecca and race against our SoCal idols. Think of it as HELPING you.

Simple mind games aside, I would hope the Tamiya racing community would be a little more friendly, even on the internet. Unfortunatley the tone of recent posts has been "not exactly". I'm thick skinned (ok, I'm just THICK, LOL) and already have a good idea of personalities, but some first time TCS participants who might consider expending funds to race the Nats may not be as understanding.
minimadman2003 is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 PM
  #13022  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hebiki
where u at man? havent seen you on BC2.
'cause it sucks.. lol MW2 map-pack will be out soon.. then all you will be back..
OSherman is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
  #13023  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
'cause it sucks.. lol MW2 map-pack will be out soon.. then all you will be back..
check your aptera email

ill be back..and 3 days after we all master the maps.. back to BC2. LOL
Hebiki is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM
  #13024  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Just looking for a little bit of help -

1. A good TA05 IFS setup for the Tamiya Track.

2. What is a good GT2 class body to use (something neutral preferred)?

3. What gearing should I use for my 17.5 brushless motor and Tekin ESC?

4. What tire inserts should I use in my Tamiya B3's in the GT2 class?

5. Any other suggestions you think can make my TA05 IFS faster in GT2 - so I can save money experimenting and beat you the next time I race would would be greatly appreciated.
body of choice. EBBRO. neutral body, Nissan Skyline GTR.. push-pig, Gairya.. flying bricks, AUDI A4 DTM and the CUSCO Subaru body thats in a league of its own, Ferrari 360.. I've managed to get em all in the "A".. Gearing for TEKIN in GT2?? dont ask me, i think they only belong in GT1.. Inserts?? RP, Hara, Tamiya, XENON.. they all work, basically, firm when its hot, med when its cool.. didnt matter as much just a couple years ago, but thanks to the 'billion-dollar-boys-club' those days are long gone..

suggestions, run GT3..
OSherman is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
  #13025  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JoeGlover
Wow I didn't realize asking a question about bodies or whatever the case is was frowned apon around here.

Thats definetly not a good attitude.

When someone asks me what I'm running, I tell them. But thats just me I guess. I'd rather beat a guy staright up then lie to him or not answer his questions.

I recall giving advice to a guy at the Nats in August and letting another racer(these guys were in my class by the way) take my car and look it over. Answered his questions as to why I was running my set-up the way I was ect. Both said thanks and it helped them out.

I guess I should put a blanket over my car and keep my mouth shut next time. I didn't realize we were racing for the greatest in the world title, I thought we were racing toy cars.
Don't take what is being posted to seriously. Most of us are joking around.

I think you would find all the help you need from most racers at any Tamiya event you went to - at least that has been my experience through the years. (But they have seen me drive, so maybe they don't feel threatened )

Some of the racers will take the trip to Japan serious and rightfuly so - because they know they are true contenders. So they tend to be more guarded of their set-up information.

In all the years I have been at the Tamiya Nationals, I have never seen a driver win who didn't deserve it - so I do not believe that giving away precious set-up information has any influence on the outcome at the Nationals - the best driver will win regardless. IMHO
Tsquare is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:08 PM
  #13026  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

suggestions, run GT3...

I am still hopefull that people will come to their senses and get those "Crazy ESC's" out of GT2 and into GT1 where they belong.
Tsquare is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
  #13027  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,602
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tsquare
suggestions, run GT3...

I am still hopefull that people will come to their senses and get those "Crazy ESC's" out of GT2 and into GT1 where they belong.
uhmmm, dont hold your breathe... i think i was the only one not running a 'boosted' speedo at the recent Regionals in GT2.. i could be wrong tho.
OSherman is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
  #13028  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OSherman
uhmmm, dont hold your breathe... i think i was the only one not running a 'boosted' speedo at the recent Regionals in GT2.. i could be wrong tho.
Won't all this be for nothing because there will be a spec. ESC/Motor combo for GT-2 at the finals?
maxepower is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
  #13029  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 376
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Don't take what is being posted to seriously. Most of us are joking around.

I think you would find all the help you need from most racers at any Tamiya event you went to - at least that has been my experience through the years. (But they have seen me drive, so maybe they don't feel threatened )

Some of the racers will take the trip to Japan serious and rightfuly so - because they know they are true contenders. So they tend to be more guarded of their set-up information.

In all the years I have been at the Tamiya Nationals, I have never seen a driver win who didn't deserve it - so I do not believe that giving away precious set-up information has any influence on the outcome at the Nationals - the best driver will win regardless. IMHO
Yes, please don't take it seriously. I run at the Aliso track and all of the guys are great there. Grandpa saw me struggling with my mini and offered to help. He let me drove his mini so I know what a properly set up car feels like. Tigran ( I hope I spell his name right) let me tap into his power generator and refused to take my money for gas. John was next to me in the pit and we chatted and have a great time at the track. All in all it was always a good day of racing at Aliso..That's how it has always been.

On the other side it still is racing, although they will help you..I understand that they wont give away all their secrets..LOL. They've spent many saturdays trying different set ups.

If I didn't live so far from the track I'd be there every saturday.
fx35rc is offline  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
  #13030  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tsquare
suggestions, run GT3...

I am still hopefull that people will come to their senses and get those "Crazy ESC's" out of GT2 and into GT1 where they belong.
If you listen to Gary Katzer's interview of Fred a few pages back, there was talk about 2011 and hints to the class structure.
A-Ko is offline  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
  #13031  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by maxepower
Won't all this be for nothing because there will be a spec. ESC/Motor combo for GT-2 at the finals?
Sounds like some inside information - maybe??
Tsquare is offline  
Old 03-24-2010, 03:16 PM
  #13032  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Herc Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Its been a while but I am gonna make it to Memphis this year! Hope to have some fun! Hey locals shoot some hotel locations out please...BBQ and Tamiya racing! Who all is gonna be there?

Paul
Combat Search and Rescue
Mini's
Herc Driver is offline  
Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
  #13033  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,641
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Sounds like some inside information - maybe??
maxepower is offline  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
  #13034  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JoeGlover
Wow I didn't realize asking a question about bodies or whatever the case is was frowned apon around here.

Thats definetly not a good attitude.

When someone asks me what I'm running, I tell them. But thats just me I guess. I'd rather beat a guy staright up then lie to him or not answer his questions.

I recall giving advice to a guy at the Nats in August and letting another racer(these guys were in my class by the way) take my car and look it over. Answered his questions as to why I was running my set-up the way I was ect. Both said thanks and it helped them out.

I guess I should put a blanket over my car and keep my mouth shut next time. I didn't realize we were racing for the greatest in the world title, I thought we were racing toy cars.
Some is in humor, some is serious. In this world of "give me, I'm entitled" and "instant gratification", why should I spend my time and money to try out 2 or 3 different bodies to determine which one is best just so someone can come out on an open forum and expect me to give them and thousands of others that answer so they do not have to spend their precious time or money ? There is a local guy who is running a TA05 IFS Version 2 like mine. I have let him drive my car and helped him with set-ups on his car so he is not a rolling chichane. Why ? Because he got off his butt and put in his time, money and effort to come to the track to try to learn and get better. Those are the people I have helped and will continue to help at the track.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
  #13035  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Hey Brandon, Sirswiftalot, you've got a PM (no not a BM).

Lee
Leester is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.