Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Dude.... where in my post did I say I was "against" doc?
Did I say anything to that effect?

Just because I am NOT a lemming and fall in line like everybody else in buying a motor, that people are not willing to spend the time on prepping it, does not mean I am against Doc. Whatever it is Red dot, white dot or pink dot, my feelings are the same. I will never own one.

If FMW's rules go full bore in 2011, there is no point in buying a Red Dot. Is it a personal attack on Doc, no. It is a way to bring in cost control on a class that has gotten away from what it should be, YES!

You have bought 3 in the past year for 1 race. For the price of 3 I can have 9 motors sitting on my bench to work on and make every bit as good. Nobody builds my cars, tires, shocks, batteries, bearings and motors. If they did that would be my weakest link on the track.
Well said if Doc was so willing to give these motors for handout in the TCS race then just let us send them to him and have him massage them for free. OK thats not gonna happen and we all know it. The reason he does it is to make money and I don't blame him I would do the same thing. But from the TCS side of the fence its nice to have rules in place where some guy who drives well and sets his car up well but can't afford a red dot then he can still be competitive. OK enough of the silver can talk lets move onto something else did you hear about the talks of GT-1 switching back to brushed motors and ESC's ?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking

.... It is a way to bring in cost control on a class that has gotten away from what it should be, YES!

WOW!! Talk about a change of heart!!

I got a couple gallons of milk, uhmmm i mean silver can lube to spare, if ya need..
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
WOW!! Talk about a change of heart!!

I got a couple gallons of milk, uhmmm i mean silver can lube to spare, if ya need..
dude.. race GT3 with me. it'll be fun running silver can again i have a motor that dynos at 12,499 when hot.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Well said if Doc was so willing to give these motors for handout in the TCS race then just let us send them to him and have him massage them for free. OK thats not gonna happen and we all know it. The reason he does it is to make money and I don't blame him I would do the same thing. But from the TCS side of the fence its nice to have rules in place where some guy who drives well and sets his car up well but can't afford a red dot then he can still be competitive. OK enough of the silver can talk lets move onto something else did you hear about the talks of GT-1 switching back to brushed motors and ESC's ?
hey magnet pants... is mickey gonna race TCS? i havent heard from him wondering if u knew anything.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hebiki
dude.. race GT3 with me. it'll be fun running silver can again i have a motor that dynos at 12,499 when hot.
nah, GT2 is for me.. i dont wanna fall asleep behind the wheel..
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Dude.... where in my post did I say I was "against" doc?
Did I say anything to that effect?

Just because I am NOT a lemming and fall in line like everybody else in buying a motor, that people are not willing to spend the time on prepping it, does not mean I am against Doc. Whatever it is Red dot, white dot or pink dot, my feelings are the same. I will never own one.

If FMW's rules go full bore in 2011, there is no point in buying a Red Dot. Is it a personal attack on Doc, no. It is a way to bring in cost control on a class that has gotten away from what it should be, YES!

You have bought 3 in the past year for 1 race. For the price of 3 I can have 9 motors sitting on my bench to work on and make every bit as good. Nobody builds my cars, tires, shocks, batteries, bearings and motors. If they did that would be my weakest link on the track.
So hopefully my response will not be a novel like you just wrote. So I will keep it to a few bullets.
1- For a guy who isnt "against Doc" you sure throw a lot of shots in his direction
2-I build all my own stuff, save for the motors which brings us to .......
3- I bought 3 RedDots last year thinking I was running 2 silvercan classes and 1 for a spare, in the end I liked the GT2 rules a lot better. Quite honestly sitting behind a dyno trying to figure out why it doesnt run worth a damn is not my idea of fun, and I dont have time for it anymore.
4- If going through 9 motors at a time makes your pee pee stand up then have at it, me and Swifty will be at an adult entertainment establishment spending silvercans on silver cans!!!!
Goodbye and Good night Sir!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all,

The RPM rules are in place for two reasons and two reasons only. 1. Keep the classes simple for the competitor. Beleive me, these rules makes for more work on my end and all the host sites. 2. Cost saving measures.
Plain and simple.

GT-2 is next. Orlando was right on his position. The other guys were also right in their opposite view. In the end the GT-2 rules did not change as we did not want to punish those who made the investment during the holiday season. That wouldn't be right.

The fact of the matter is this: In a span of 3-4 weeks the speed control leap in performance was something we have never seen in this hobby before. I drove 17.5 at the Tamiya track for 2 years. First go around was a Novak 17.5 with a GTB. Fun and quick. Next came the LRP TC Spec Spere with the same Novak 17.5. A little quicker, smoother throttle feel and better all around. Not leaps and bounds faster, but the package was the way to go. Next came SPX. Game changer. It gave you enough more top speed to make a difference for tracks with long straights. The speed was still fun and manageable for our customer racer base. Overnight comes the new Firmware in the Tekins and other new speedos. OH MY SNAP! Game Changer x10! Chris Hibiki Lim let me try his 17.5 and it's not funny. While not totally out of control the speeds that these things can do will not make for fun and close racing. I see a lot of "stop and go's" next weekend. Rod C let me try his tired 13.5 with the Tekin. That was just plain silly fast. That car was as fast down the straight as the Open Mod guys at the last Reedy Race at Tamiya. Again, not fun for the customer base we want to kee and the new people we want to bring in.

So, what does this all mean? It means I will be busy testing, observing and talking to industry people to come up with new stuff for 2011. Some of this stuff will be tested under experimental classes throughout the year and don't be surprised if I ask for your help and feedback.

In the meantime the first event of the 2010 season is only days away at Hobbytown/Hobby Plex in Nebraska. Tim Ski is going to run a great event. He has a great facility and a great shop. Remember to have fun and make new friends.

FMW
Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi all,

The RPM rules are in place for two reasons and two reasons only. 1. Keep the classes simple for the competitor. Beleive me, these rules makes for more work on my end and all the host sites. 2. Cost saving measures.
Plain and simple.

GT-2 is next. Orlando was right on his position. The other guys were also right in their opposite view. In the end the GT-2 rules did not change as we did not want to punish those who made the investment during the holiday season. That wouldn't be right.

The fact of the matter is this: In a span of 3-4 weeks the speed control leap in performance was something we have never seen in this hobby before. I drove 17.5 at the Tamiya track for 2 years. First go around was a Novak 17.5 with a GTB. Fun and quick. Next came the LRP TC Spec Spere with the same Novak 17.5. A little quicker, smoother throttle feel and better all around. Not leaps and bounds faster, but the package was the way to go. Next came SPX. Game changer. It gave you enough more top speed to make a difference for tracks with long straights. The speed was still fun and manageable for our customer racer base. Overnight comes the new Firmware in the Tekins and other new speedos. OH MY SNAP! Game Changer x10! Chris Hibiki Lim let me try his 17.5 and it's not funny. While not totally out of control the speeds that these things can do will not make for fun and close racing. I see a lot of "stop and go's" next weekend. Rod C let me try his tired 13.5 with the Tekin. That was just plain silly fast. That car was as fast down the straight as the Open Mod guys at the last Reedy Race at Tamiya. Again, not fun for the customer base we want to kee and the new people we want to bring in.

So, what does this all mean? It means I will be busy testing, observing and talking to industry people to come up with new stuff for 2011. Some of this stuff will be tested under experimental classes throughout the year and don't be surprised if I ask for your help and feedback.

In the meantime the first event of the 2010 season is only days away at Hobbytown/Hobby Plex in Nebraska. Tim Ski is going to run a great event. He has a great facility and a great shop. Remember to have fun and make new friends.

FMW
So Fred,
Im going to Starbucks in the morning,
Supposing that a well funded Starbucks card arrived on your desk , is it possible that just maybe a ban on boost would go into effect?
Just wonderin'
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi all,

Plain and simple.

FMW
im good at blowing stuff up. ill gladly test and its HEBIKI... sheesh. thanks Phred.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi all,

Plain and simple.

FMW

Fred is on target with all the rule changes this year - In reading through this thread, most of the posts are from full-time racers, the guys out every weekend racing. I will chime in as a part-time racer with constraints of time and cost.

For the full-time racers without constraints - they can race anything at any time at any cost to be competitive, they make top level racing fun to watch.

But, as a part-time racer, even though I am serious when I race - the constraints of time and cost come into play in my racing decisions. I have raced TCS since 2004. IMHO it's the best run onroad race series for all levels of racers and a great introdution to racing for new racers - it's a tremendous series, racing bargin and I have had fun every year of TCS racing that I have done since 2004.

Stating the obivious - what makes TCS approachable for so many racers (young, old, fast, slow, rich, poor, etc) are the well thought out racing classes - for the most part they are spec'd according to speed and / or "committment level" . In years past, including last year, GT2 was fast enough to be fun, yet "spec" enough to be reasonable to race. This year to race GT2 you will have to buy "the ESC" (upgrades costs come with every new year of racing) but more importantly the speeds will probably be leaving the range (to fast) for the typical GT2 racer. I know in reading this thread that many may have the opinion that racing is spending money, going faster, GT3 exists, and step up or step out of the way - I do not completely agree or disagree with that train of thought, but there is a benefit to having a well spec'd class like GT2 stay true to its initial goal of being the mid-point in speed and spec racing between GT3 and GT1, because for many racers GT2 is fast enough to be fun and "spec" enough to be reasonable to race full or part-time and at the end of the day its all about having fun with your racing and a having reason to come back to the track.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tsquare
Fred is on target with all the rule changes this year - In reading through this thread, most of the posts are from full-time racers, the guys out every weekend racing. I will chime in as a part-time racer with constraints of time and cost.

For the full-time racers without constraints - they can race anything at any time at any cost to be competitive, they make top level racing fun to watch.

But, as a part-time racer, even though I am serious when I race - the constraints of time and cost come into play in my racing decisions. I have raced TCS since 2004. IMHO it's the best run onroad race series for all levels of racers and a great introdution to racing for new racers - it's a tremendous series, racing bargin and I have had fun every year of TCS racing that I have done since 2004.

Stating the obivious - what makes TCS approachable for so many racers (young, old, fast, slow, rich, poor, etc) are the well thought out racing classes - for the most part they are spec'd according to speed and / or "committment level" . In years past, including last year, GT2 was fast enough to be fun, yet "spec" enough to be reasonable to race. This year to race GT2 you will have to buy "the ESC" (upgrades costs come with every new year of racing) but more importantly the speeds will probably be leaving the range (to fast) for the typical GT2 racer. I know in reading this thread that many may have the opinion that racing is spending money, going faster, GT3 exists, and step up or step out of the way - I do not completely agree or disagree with that train of thought, but there is a benefit to having a well spec'd class like GT2 stay true to its initial goal of being the mid-point in speed and spec racing between GT3 and GT1, because for many racers GT2 is fast enough to be fun and "spec" enough to be reasonable to race full or part-time and at the end of the day its all about having fun with your racing and a having reason to come back to the track.
You just sang my tune brother!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hebiki
hey magnet pants... is mickey gonna race TCS? i havent heard from him wondering if u knew anything.
Hey Kriss - I talked with mickey and he said he will be there for the regional.
Phred - good job!! I will test the M05 that you want to give me for the silver can debate if need be just let me know.

Doc-What is the cost on a legal 12,500 RPM @ 5 volt motor from you?

BTW i put magnets in the motor not in my pockets there is a HUGE difference.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tsquare

All sounds good. So, if you are a part time racer just out to have fun, then I expect you will also not have a problem being in the B main and respecting and cheering those who do race full time and do work on set-up, power AND driving to be able to go faster battling it out in the A main ?

Do you have to buy a Tekin to race in GT-1 or GT-2 this year ? No ! You can run the same set-up as you ran last year. Now, if you want to win today , yes, you probably need a Tekin. But for all those that keep emphasizing the "fun" part of the series, does it also mean you can only have fun if you win ? The better drivers will adapt and handle the power, the lesser skilled drivers will not. Just as it always has been.

I think people forget TCS is a competitive race series that does offer an expensive trip to Japan for three lucky winners at the end of the year. I guess I am not one of those people that want to keep driving at the same skill and speed level for the next ten years waiting for the faster guys to win the trip so I can be "next in line".

Yeah, the Tekin has stepped up the playing level and is "THE" esc to have in GT-1 and GT-2 right now. However, last year the LRP SPX was "THE" esc to have before the Nationals and there was no huge outcry when some (I ran the same KO I ran all year) bought that esc to have a competitive advantage. And yes, the SPX was faster on the straights when you ran profile 8 with turbo boost.

As for costs, a $ 170.00 Tekin today is equal or less than the cost of three brand new "matched" Nimh batteries the top drivers battling in the A main would be buying before the first regional of the year just a few years ago.

It will sure be nice getting the first couple of regionals back under way so we can see if the fast drivers from last year are still the fast drivers to beat, or if some mid pack B main driver suddenly make the podium in the A just because he "bought" his speed, be it a esc or a silver can motor. It will also be nice to hear how the new F104's perform this year.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
Is the Aliso track going to be open for practice if it rains tomorrow morning?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would like to run the race next weekend in Aliso Viejo, CA but don't have a decent set of tamiya 24mm mesh wheels and tires (I think the b compound tires and don't know which inserts...) Can I buy these at the track?

Thanks.

Farzad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.