Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: There is he is...

Originally posted by Hebiki
there he is Ling.. go get em!!!

Rod looks tired in that picture.

So that kid won? Did he have "home track advantage"? Why does he get to race a second time, where as Rod, Mike, and Steve are "out"? Why am I asking so many questions?

Alright, I'm out. Good night all!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Neil Rabara

Gary, you never looked so good! I'm confused about the hand though.
Hey, I'm giving a high 5 to my imaginary friend, leave me alone, ok? LOL.

Not only can the locals Race the Worlds more than once, from my understanding as many locals that want to race can. But if you or I were to pay our own way over there we wouldn't be allowed to race. It's a "This is our playground and you will play by our rules which benefit our drivers so there" kind of thing
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 PM

Ling, Neil, and Ian congrats on your win. Go get em in Japan. We have a on road carpet track in Gilroy, Ca. Practice Monday thru Saturday. Racing Friday night. Were having a benifit race on Saturday September 18th. Check out the thread on rcracing.com.

Hobby World in Gilroy, Ca
6901 Monterey Road
408 847-8799
Old 09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Do you know of any carpet tracks near Corpus Christi TX? That's where I'm going at the end of the month!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary

Not only can the locals Race the Worlds more than once, from my understanding as many locals that want to race can. But if you or I were to pay our own way over there we wouldn't be allowed to race. It's a "This is our playground and you will play by our rules which benefit our drivers so there" kind of thing
Might that imaginary friend's name be mini me?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: There is he is...

Originally posted by bubbles
Rod looks tired in that picture.
He's not tired, he's intoxicated.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary

Your right Gary. It seems the guys at Tamiya Japan Allways seem to have the advantage. They know the track very well and they understand how to get tires to work with no traction compound.

But lets put it this way... What if the Tamiya Worlds were held in a different location? like for example....TRACKSIDE! Then we Would give the Tamiya Japan people pretty big dog fight and it would level the playing fields. but lets face it, it probably will never happen because for 3 reasons.

1. That's where Tamiya was created

2. Not many Japanese people are willing to make a trek to a Place in america where they don't even know it is there

3.Trackside is way too small to have something that big held there
Unless they have it at the midwest express center

But hey we won there a couple of times so it's not that impossible to beat them. they are beatable. So Ling whoever you face over there take it to them and show them who's boss cause we are with you all the way!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

in 02.. joven was 5th... last year.. rod was third.. hmmm.. in 2004.. 1st????

we have three really fast guys with a real good shot at taking first! go get em guys!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well from my GT1 perspective I think Ling has a good shot just like Rod had last year. I hope he gets in some good carpet time and figures out the setup before he gets there.

Neil on the other hand, too bad he does not speak Japanese. If he did he would sit across from the 2 timer and before the races started, would cause him to roll in a fetal ball position, sucking his thumb....

Oh and Neil probably would do very well too on top of that.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldn't do that to the 5yo world champ. I'll do it to his parents first, then move my way down to him.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

I can only speak from my experience and I believe the Japanese and International drivers are all very clean, drive at their own pace, and show the best race courtesy, I've experienced. Just make sure that your pace is a lot quicker I don't want to say anything to jinx our current champs but if you could bet on this race in Vegas, I'd go in on it
Old 09-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
I wouldn't do that to the 5yo world champ. I'll do it to his parents first, then move my way down to him.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by rtypec
I can only speak from my experience and I believe the Japanese and International drivers are all very clean, drive at their own pace, and show the best race courtesy, I've experienced. Just make sure that your pace is a lot quicker I don't want to say anything to jinx our current champs but if you could bet on this race in Vegas, I'd go in on it
darn..too bad we can fly over there and watch them race! actually i could. b/c its only $400 for me to go to japan

hey rod you had mentioned before you brought the wrong chassis? care to elaborate on that?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

In GT1 we were allowed to run any car but the 414. We were also given specific gear ratios based on the chassis that we selected. This was intended to level the playing field. I believe that if you wanted to, you could run a TL01 and have a HUGE gearing advantage, (a few kids did in GT2 and did well). Anyways, the difference between the TA04 and Evo3 specified gear ratio was something like a tenth or two in favor of the TA04 but I really know the ins and outs of the Evo3. I thought, cool, I'll just use the 26mm tires for better roll out but found out that I could not use those tires and wheels on the Evo3 without the tires rubbing the body on a Modena and very close to rubbing on an NSX. So after much diliberation, I decided on the TA04 TRF-Titanium-Aluminum-and Everything Else-Uber Underweight-Edition. Keep in mind that I have never been very good with the 414 or TA04 series chassis but I believed that the gear and 26mm tire advantage would help substantially. Besides, how hard can a TA04 be to setup since it has very limited setting options.

The first night, when we got to the hotel, Brian and I had a couple of beers and decided to cruise the hotel to look for other racers. When we spotted a few we went to their room to chat and kind of get a sneak peak at what they're running. Evo3's...I was kind of bummed because the TA04 was the ONLY chassis I brought. We took a couple of beers from their fridge and left it at that. Taka Aoki offered to loan me his Evo3 but it had so many hopups and prototype parts on it that it would take way too long just to make it legal for the race.

First impression of other race cars while waiting in front of the Twin Messe Arena in the morning: F@#K! I soooo brought the wrong car. Everywhere I looked, it was the same thing...fully loaded blue Evo3's. I needed another beer but there was a vendor who was selling hot coffee drinks with hot anime chicks on the cans that said something like "eat me" or "drink me"...that cheered me up a little.

Practice and racing with the chassis was a mixed bag. One thing about the double deck TA04's is that the tweak easily when you hit a board. The car was actually pretty decent and I even managed to traction roll it in my last main event. The car starts out dialed but as soon as you touch one of the boards, it gets tweaked and stays that way until you hit something again. I found myself doing a lot of steering just to keep decent lines in order to correct for the tweak. Also, I could never get the 26mm tires to work so I ended up with medium narrow A's with softer inserts in the rear (so much for rollout advantage huh?). Another thing to think about is that the boards of the track are kinda neat. They aren't solid but hollow so when you hit them or scrape a side on them, they give a little bit which is really cool esp. for the F201's. However, when it was early and traction was low, you'd hit one side and the car would kinda start pinballing its way down the track until you regain control (while not lifting hehehe).

Ummm there are a lot of other details but this is a start. Neil, I'll bring the Good DVD's from Jland tomorrow so you can burn them for educational purposes
Old 09-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a picture of last year's track layout:
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-twc2003-tracklayout.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.