Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AWK
Too late for this year. You can't punish people for abiding by what the rules say. Besides, if Tekin, LRP, Novak and SpeedPassion all come out with a "stock" "non-adjustable" esc, who is to say that LRP's stock won't have more timing built in than the Novak? If people want a truly spec class, then next year why not one motor and one esc only. No options. Then if you don't like it, you can run all your fancy escs in GT1 with your TA05, or throw a silvercan in an run GT3.
Originally Posted by KHoff7
Exactly
Yup, that's what GT2 is all about..

but i think we do need to find a 'compromise' for the meantime..
Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
How about this for a new spec controller for the TCS. From Speed Passion.

http://www.redrc.net/2010/02/speed-p...club-race-esc/
This is a good start, but still only a half step. I like the fact that only brake strength and drag brake is adjustable. There is no option for punch, drive frequency, etc.

ROAR really needs to come out with a electronic schematic that is distributed to all the ROAR Stock Spec licensees. Then each company will make the same exact ESC based on the licensed schematic. Then the only difference in models are price, size, and maybe color. Also all cases should be tamper-proof. (Sounds more and more like NASCAR ) (Prevent TCS hackers from resoldering a small Tekin RS in a large Novak GTB case)

Anything else is going to create a "Stock Club Race ESC of the month". For example, LRP is not going to come out with a Stock Club Race ESC that is slower than the Speed Passion mentioned above.

Anyway, glad that we haven't run Stock 17.5 for 2 years now. Time to make a new batch of popcorn watching guys burning up 2 to 3 17.5 motors per day trying to go faster at the track after hitting every board and then coming on RCTech and saying that the cars are too fast. The Tekin RS has been great for netbook sales.

Did you hear that Much-More is coming out with a $900 netbook that has no batteries. It is powered by their $200 15amp 12v power supply.
The netbook is available in black or Tamiya Blue.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Did you hear that Much-More is coming out with a $900 netbook that has no batteries. It is powered by their $200 15amp 12v power supply.
The netbook is available in black or Tamiya Blue.

As it turns out, you can also plug the pit lamp into the USB port
Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Novak certainly supports the more unique classes these days with their involvement in USVTA, and Tekin has offered to code class specific software to help curb the ESC war in classes where it is detrimental to the quality of racing. With the multi-tiered classes of GT1, 2 and 3, this seems like a fantastic idea for years to come.
+1

So... Now for a change in pace of ESC questioning... What is everyones brushless motor preference for GT2?

Novak Ballistic
Tekin Redline
LRP X-12

I have ran the 1st 2 listed and the Ballistic is certainly fast, and the Tekin definately has a lot of torque. Haven't had a chance to try the X-12 yet. What are your preferences and why? What makes it better for you?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
+1

So... Now for a change in pace of ESC questioning... What is everyones brushless motor preference for GT2?

Novak Ballistic
Tekin Redline
LRP X-12

I have ran the 1st 2 listed and the Ballistic is certainly fast, and the Tekin definately has a lot of torque. Haven't had a chance to try the X-12 yet. What are your preferences and why? What makes it better for you?
I hope your not expecting to get the right answer here.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
As it turns out, you can also plug the pit lamp into the USB port
I have a USB fan!
Almost bought the USB can cooler.... for pop cans.
I need a USB multi-port junction. . .
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R1wurks
Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Since when did GT-2 become the kill development, slow everybody down to a snails pace so we have "competitive racing", limit the budget class ? You want that, make it GT-3 and go slow with a silver can. Since I started TCS in 2004, the "usual suspects" in GT-2 A Mains usually had fully hopped-up TA04's, 05's or TB02, 03's. They ran the highest numbered match cell Nimh's and then the highest mah Lipo's available. They had top end esc's and servos. Top of the line battery charges, discharges and tire warmers were always seen.

Nobody whinned and cried when LRP came out with the SPX last year and yes, it was an advantage on the straight and yes people bought them to gain the edge at Nationals.

Why don't we just race this year, see how things work out during regionals, see what surprises Fred has for us for Nationals and quit trying to write the rules the way you want them to serve your purpose. Racing, in any series only forces you to run by their rules. It is your choice to race it or not.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R1wurks

Not looking for a right answer, just Opinions of what people like. Call it a survey.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry if this has been asked recently but there's to many pages to wade through and I need to buy stuff today for the Omaha race.

Where's the best place to buy bodies and tires for TCS racing and what part numbers are legal bodies for GT1.

It also looks like in the rules non-tamiya turn buckles are legal in all classes is this correct?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

It has been interesting reading about all the push back on the new generation of speed controls. We need to understand that this technology is here to stay...the cat is out of the bag and we are not going to get it back. No TCS track (or any other) is going to have every firmware update, adapter and tech knowledge to insure every brand of speed control is running an acceptable profile.

How about going to single cell lipo packs. These cells deliver less voltage which should equal less speed. With this solution you can do away with monitoring for the "profile of the week" which would make the tech process a lot better.

Also keep in mind, that single cells might also bring battery runtime back into the picture.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Since when did GT-2 become the kill development, slow everybody down to a snails pace so we have "competitive racing", limit the budget class ? You want that, make it GT-3 and go slow with a silver can. Since I started TCS in 2004, the "usual suspects" in GT-2 A Mains usually had fully hopped-up TA04's, 05's or TB02, 03's. They ran the highest numbered match cell Nimh's and then the highest mah Lipo's available. They had top end esc's and servos. Top of the line battery charges, discharges and tire warmers were always seen.

Nobody whinned and cried when LRP came out with the SPX last year and yes, it was an advantage on the straight and yes people bought them to gain the edge at Nationals.

Why don't we just race this year, see how things work out during regionals, see what surprises Fred has for us for Nationals and quit trying to write the rules the way you want them to serve your purpose. Racing, in any series only forces you to run by their rules. It is your choice to race it or not.
+1
Even though there have been no expenses spared on the rest of the package, as you pointed out.
When it comes to "magic" black boxes, some folks appear intimidated for a myriad of reasons.
However, those of us that do have one of these new magic Black boxes, won't have to concern ourselves with the best battries or the hot motor setup of the week, as they are now small players in the overall package.

I for one see that as progress.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rugrat
It has been interesting reading about all the push back on the new generation of speed controls. We need to understand that this technology is here to stay...the cat is out of the bag and we are not going to get it back. No TCS track (or any other) is going to have every firmware update, adapter and tech knowledge to insure every brand of speed control is running an acceptable profile.

How about going to single cell lipo packs. These cells deliver less voltage which should equal less speed. With this solution you can do away with monitoring for the "profile of the week" which would make the tech process a lot better.

Also keep in mind, that single cells might also bring battery runtime back into the picture.

Just my 2 cents.
I have been running 1S in an F-104, the esc's make more of a difference where there is less battery to use.
In 2S with a modern esc, the reliance on special batteries is far, far less.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR

GT2 has always been competetive spec racing, yes... No one said its a 'kill developement' as you put it.. If it was so it would of never adapted to BRUSHLESS.. Again, people did speak up about the SPX last year. Maybe not loud enough? But that 'advantage' was NOTHING compared to what we see today.. Todays GAINS ARE HUGE.. And more expensive to acquire full potential. And its all-or-nothin when compared to yester-years speedos.

As far as batteries, there has always been a limit (spec) battery. NiMh (stick pack of which you got at the race) and LiPo (3400)... Unless you were running something else??
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Sorry if this has been asked recently but there's to many pages to wade through and I need to buy stuff today for the Omaha race.

Where's the best place to buy bodies and tires for TCS racing and what part numbers are legal bodies for GT1.
Give Jeff @ Speedtech a call

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.