Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree824Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

LRP & Tekin soon will have Spec Profiles to race with, that should work out fine and alleviate some of the ESC wars b.s. going on in Spec classes.

IMHO...I think it's great what can be done with Brushless and holding back development just for spec classes is silly, but it will be nice to have the option to go slow.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Even if Tamiya came out with a $ 60-80 brushless sytem what kind of motor and esc would you expect to get for that price ? And if it where possible, then people will bitch about having to buy a system that will only be competitive for the 1-2 Tamiya races most people will run a year and how Tamiya keeps drastically changing the rules each year and they are just trying to drive up sales and ...........

Welcome to racing.
In other words, no matter what changes you make, however well intentioned, great for the hobby, industry or individual, *someone* will still be pissed. Welcome to racing indeed, well said
Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quick question. Has anyone run the ORC Amemiya SGC-7 Body Set on anything besides an IFS car? I'm wondering if it will fit on a 415. I need a new body for GT1 and this looks like a winner. Hopefully it will work.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The more you try to slow down classes, the more money will be spent to find ways to be "just a little faster than the rest". Kind of like spending $ 50.00 for a $ 15.00 silver can motor to have the "competitive edge". Welcome to racing.
true that!!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kind of like spending $ 50.00 for a $ 15.00 silver can motor to have the "competitive edge".
Well, more like $45 for a $20 motor, but I certainly agree with you everywhere else.
  • As far as I'm concerned, few rules = great racing.
  • Let people be creative, it advances the sport.
  • If you really want to do well, you'll live, eat and breathe this stuff.
  • You'll stay up late at night trying to figure out how to get some teeny advantage that nobody else has.
  • You'll practice, practice, practice so that you can literally 'feel' the car through your radio.

And THAT, my friends, is what competition- in any sport- is all about.

I'm just sayin"...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FMW
Hi all,

First, Any Orion Lipo that is 3400 or lower will fit fine in the F104 with the simple plug I made. There's no grinding of the chassis needed. The only thing I modded slightly is the plastic piece that keeps the battery from moving forward. (TCS Legal) Two, Reedy makes some nice rounded hard case Lipo's that have a plug that comes right out like an old school stick pack. (Dave Jun runs these) As long as you stay with these two configurations you're fine with the F104. For those who want to stick 100C bricks, good luck. Why do you even want to spend that much money on a pack and why do you need that much power and capacity? Do I really need to limit the class to 3400mah and 30C Lipo's????

Rubber guys. Here's a tip for the Tamiya track. The stock rubber tires that come with the Ferrari F60 are B like compounds. That means they are for warmer weather. In two weeks we will be announcing a Type A compound for cold weather. You will need these if you race carpet and you will need these if you race in track tems that are below 65 degrees F. Here's another tip. Build your rear tires with some type of air gap. The stock foam for the Tamiya track at least fills the tire too much. I built them stock and with air gap and air gap is way better. It's night and day. Some people have built the rears with no insert, but I think that's too much. It works for sure, but you wear the rear tires more. My next test will be with fron air gap. Also, a normal 24mm shaped touring car insert will work fine for the rear. You will just have to cut a half inch or so and re-glue. Don't make the insert too tight around the rim as you will close off the hole in the rim.

While I'm at it. There has been a lot of talk about banning speed controls. Kevin Cole. You weren't fooling anyone on Saturday. I know full well that you were running a 17.5 with some new speedo. 13.5 RIGHT???? That thing was a missle and it was no 13.5.
I know Scotty banned certain Speedos and firmwares for his Novak race, but at this point it would be premature and not right to start changing rules that people have been basing thier purchases on. We will see how GT-2 plays out for the first few races and see what's what.
Don't be surprised if tracks and certain racing series adopt one make motors and speed controls for true brushless spec or intermediate racing in the very near future. At the current advancements, 17.5 is going to kill on-road racing for club racers. The firmwares and speed controls coming out negate the speeds that intermediate club racers are used to and can handle.

Mini guys. There will be RPM rules for TCS. What that number is??? Don't you worry. Just think out of the box numbers. How we test for these out of the box numbers is TBD.

Good night.....
Fred,
Will the New Type A Rubber Tires be available for the TCS Race on 2/28/2010 in Aliso?? and are the new F104 Rubber tires Type A and Type B compounds close to the old "F103 Compounds A & B or the F201 Compounds A & B??

Thx,
Steve, (Back in F1 for the 2010 TCS Season)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Even if Tamiya came out with a $ 60-80 brushless sytem what kind of motor and esc would you expect to get for that price ? And if it where possible, then people will bitch about having to buy a system that will only be competitive for the 1-2 Tamiya races most people will run a year and how Tamiya keeps drastically changing the rules each year and they are just trying to drive up sales and ...........
One word "Hobbywing"!

A friend I race with has one works quite well. If they were not that good Venom racing and other companies would not be selling them. It could be a new spec type of racing to slow down the BL/ESC insanity. For under $80 you can get a ESC/BL and programming unit. If Tamiya could do that, with their good name, I am sure many clubs would adopt that kind of system. Assuming Tamiya could do that. Then buying it would make sense and at that price it does not really matter.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I agree with A-ko. The Tamiya min drivers in Australia use a Hobbywing brushless system and they seem to like them. I think that like a lot of electronics the prices will continue to go down as time goes on.

I've never understood some of the rule changes, such as the wheel requirements in GT3 this year. Why not give people a year to adapt to something like that. Is that a big sales catalyst other than for TCS drivers?

I would hate to see the silver can classes die, because even if you don't know how to "doctor" your motor you can buy a mini and compete. I think that's why mini is the most popular class.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
One word "Hobbywing"!

A friend I race with has one works quite well. If they were not that good Venom racing and other companies would not be selling them. It could be a new spec type of racing to slow down the BL/ESC insanity. For under $80 you can get a ESC/BL and programming unit. If Tamiya could do that, with their good name, I am sure many clubs would adopt that kind of system. Assuming Tamiya could do that. Then buying it would make sense and at that price it does not really matter.
Why not just make it Novak Havoc spec???? They sell for 79.99 new and 59.99 re-maned and they are a US company so when you need help or repair you can get it easy enough here and not have to send it back to another country. The Havoc will work fine in all brushless classes and they are only programable on the unit no need for anything else. Something like what the USVTA is doing only list of approved ESC's that can not be adjusted with any type of computer or have any crazy timing/turbo boost added might be nice too.....but again this is a whole big mess that On-road is dealing with right now and it will take some time to really sort it all out.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So right now the only F104 rubber tires are the B tires, which are more for outdoor? Just wondering if the A's might be available before the Omaha race...
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Why not just make it Novak Havoc spec???...
Originally Posted by robk
Even in TCS, it finds you Rob!

On a side note, I have a TCS first timer question: If the turnout is light in any given class at any given TCS event, does the class get to run or is it mixed in with a similar class, or......?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

Well he is "Jesus" after all jsut ask around....
Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

On a side note, I have a TCS first timer question: If the turnout is light in any given class at any given TCS event, does the class get to run or is it mixed in with a similar class, or......?
TCS Regional Race Format

1. There must be at least 5 participants in each respective class for the class to be run.

taken from the current 2010 TCS rules, last page........
Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Quick question. Has anyone run the ORC Amemiya SGC-7 Body Set on anything besides an IFS car? I'm wondering if it will fit on a 415. I need a new body for GT1 and this looks like a winner. Hopefully it will work.
I ran the ORC Amemiya body on my 416 at last years Aliso Regional and running again this year for GT-1. Can't say 100% but it should fit your 415 also.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
One word "Hobbywing"!

I am familar with the Hobby Wing set-up. One major problem as a "spec" system. It is programmable. Now for racing, how many people do you know that seriously race that system that are running A main expert class ?

My Tamiya cars and equipment are what I race all year long. So when I upgrade my equipment, I do so to be competiive at all races I attend. There are some that rce a different brand all year long and dust off thier Tamiya car just for their local regional or the nationals.

If people really want a Tamiya "spec class" for experienced drivers, why not make GT-3 that class ? Tub chassis hopped up to a maximum of say a TT01-R or TA05-R. No need to have a $ 500.00 TA05 IFS with every hop-up if what the masses want is a low cost spec class. That is what it sounds like on this thread. Spec a stock Tamiya spur and pinion gear for each car (just like Japan Worlds does) spec a Tamiya silver can, black can or "mild tuned" motor with RPM limits close to out of box numbers and Tamiya brushes only if mild tuned and something in the range of max 3400 mah battery. If people truly want to take the spending out and put the driver talent in, take away motor tuning, keep the battery power to a minumum so you can use the same battery for a couple of years and spec gearing for all.

If you want to go faster and play with the big boys, GT-2 with the IFS type chassis, any Tamiya hop ups, set a battery mah limit but any ROAR legal (hard case only of course), any esc and any ROAR legal 17.5 motor.

For those with great driving talent or can afford lots of spares, GT-1 with any Tamiya chassis, any esc, same battery rule as GT-2 and either 13.5 motor or back to the good ol days of no motor limit. Open mod.

Lets get back to what a "racing series" is all about. The rule makers make the rules, you choose which class you prefer, and you go run that class. Does everybody make as much noise to their local race tracks to change rules like we see here on this thread ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.