Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rules fixed for the Duo I see... Duo 2 motor it is, and GT2 it is for me since I already have a listed motor there.

Jimmy
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
According to ROAR's own rules, the original DUO with the polished steel can is illegal. The can does not meet ROAR specs to prevent cheating.
8.8.1.4 All motors must have the original manufacturer’s logo or name molded into the end bell. ROAR Stock, Super Stock and Spec motors must have a distinguishing feature or mark not easily removed/altered on the stator stack or collection ring designating the wind number.
You have guys putting 17.5 (RED) endbells on the 13.5 cans and running in the stock class (GT2/ RCGT). You also have guys putting 13.5 (BLUE) endbells on the 10.5 cans and running them in the super stock class (GT1). You still have guys given new DUO 2/Nemesis by their motor sponsor and still run the older DUO motors.

Great job Tamiya USA to ban these older DUO motors. It would be nice if ROAR gets off Trinity's payroll and enact their own rules.
quoted for emphasis.

we gonna see Team B&B at nats this year?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
quoted for emphasis.

we gonna see Team B&B at nats this year?
The F103 with rubber tires is the only running Tamiya that we have left. We have a 13.5 in it and can't imagine running anything slower especially at Aliso Viejo.

We would like to come back to Cali for either the Reedy race or the ROAR On-Road Nats. Reedy is looking real good for TC and another R/C must do.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

these running changes each yr dont help at all. i see 13.5 is back after a notion to do all 17.5. thats good. but why is a trinity (most commonly run motor wk 2 wk in TC) legal in gt1, but not in gt2?

spoke wheels, hmmm interestin thought.

R
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
these running changes each yr dont help at all. i see 13.5 is back after a notion to do all 17.5. thats good. but why is a trinity (most commonly run motor wk 2 wk in TC) legal in gt1, but not in gt2?

spoke wheels, hmmm interestin thought.

R
You said it bro!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Question about the motor rule. Since the Duo 2 is legal for GT1, does that mean we can use a Duo 2 from EA? It is the same motor, just tuned with a sticker on it.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Question about the motor rule. Since the Duo 2 is legal for GT1, does that mean we can use a Duo 2 from EA? It is the same motor, just tuned with a sticker on it.
Its not up to me, but if it were, I would say no. You open a can of worms by allowing "tuned" versions of motors. What do you do to "tune" a brushless motor anyways? I would assume that there is some parts swapping that takes place, at which point the motor is out of spec. There is a reason that Tamiya specs specific Manufacturers and Part #'s, if they allow one variance, the whole thing will turn into a free for all. My take on brushless was it was supposed to encourage stability, and it turning into what sucked about brushed motors, motor of the week club. C rating on batteries is the same deal, the pack is good for 1000 cycles, and yet they are obsolete before you even hit 100 cycles, I know one could use them for practice, but its a lot of money for practice packs
I will step off the soapbox now, sorry for firing a grenade back at you
Old 12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hasn't this can of worms already been opened with the "tuned" can motors? Doesn't this fall into a similar category?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Will the Orion 4000mah lipo be legal for mini? It's got the rounded case to fit...
Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Hasn't this can of worms already been opened with the "tuned" can motors? Doesn't this fall into a similar category?
I would think so... What is the difference in someone spending $50 for a tuned 540 motor and buying a trinity motor with a different sticker on it? The motor itself is still ROAR legal, so why would it be disallowed?

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if that racing any of the GT classes is even worth it for me. My 13.5 motor from last year is illegal, the new batch of 17.5's leaves my current legal 17.5 from last year a bit off pace. New battery required for GT2 to make a solid 8 minutes (Learned from last year that a 2 year old lipo is only good for 6 minutes ). F1 rubber and F1 foam looking more and more tempting.... Time to determine the cost of F104 rubber tires compared to the stuff required to make my GT cars legal / competitive....

Jimmy
Old 12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
I would think so... What is the difference in someone spending $50 for a tuned 540 motor and buying a trinity motor with a different sticker on it? The motor itself is still ROAR legal, so why would it be disallowed?
Very good point.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am amazed at how many people are going to obsolete all their equipment due to the new rules. Lets, what will I have to change ?

GT-2, same TA05 IFS as this year. Same body as this year. Same KO esc as this year. Same Novak yellow ring non-adjustable timing 17.5 as this year (because you can add timing through the esc). Same 5000mah lipo as this year. Gee, I don't have to change anything.

GT-1, same 416 as this year. Same RX-7 body I ran on it this year. Same KO esc as this year. Same 5000mah lipo I ran this year. Darn, have to buy a new motor becuase last year it was "any ROAR legal" and this year 13.5 has specific motors and I don't own one of them. I guess I will have a new motor to run TCS AND my local club races for 2010.

Nope, I think I will quit TCS racing now and sell all my Tamiya equipment. I just can't afford that new motor. It's all Tamiya's fault for drastically changing the rules every year to make insane profits.

Side note - Tamiya will probably not allow "tuned" brushless motors. The main tuning tool to a brushless is changing the rotor and Tamiya was very specific this year, especially at Nats about running the stock rotor the motor came with. The intent of limiting the amount of different motors was to try to limit the free for all spending people would do to find the perfect esc / motor / rotor combo. At least by allowing some advance timing motors, the guy with the older non advance timing esc's like the Novak GTB can be much closer on power to guys with newer esc's. "If" someone chooses to spend the money to do that, a $ 90.00 brushless motor is much cheaper than the newer $ 240+ esc's lioke the Tekin, LRP and KO. However, that silly thing called talent will still unfortunately be a major factor in the overall performance.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if that racing any of the GT classes is even worth it for me. My 13.5 motor from last year is illegal, the new batch of 17.5's leaves my current legal 17.5 from last year a bit off pace. New battery required for GT2 to make a solid 8 minutes (Learned from last year that a 2 year old lipo is only good for 6 minutes ). F1 rubber and F1 foam looking more and more tempting.... Time to determine the cost of F104 rubber tires compared to the stuff required to make my GT cars legal / competitive....

Jimmy
ok Jimmy... i'll bite.

"My 13.5 motor from last year is illegal"
Um.... cheaters have been putting the BLUE end caps from the 13.5 on a 10.5 motor. and the RED end caps on the 13.5 motor. so people think they have a 17.5 with 13.5 internals. [ insert whining here about getting motored on RCTech day after TCS ]

"the new batch of 17.5's leaves my current legal 17.5 from last year a bit off pace"
says who? The X-12 17.5s require you run profile 6 off the LRP SPX (the winning esc at Nats last year). Profile 6 isnt as crazy as Profile 8 with dynamic/advance timing ramp (whatever the hell you wanna call it). Ballistic motors have adjustable timing. GOOD LUCK trying to get the gearing right at a one day event that has limited practice. I'd be willing to bet you'll come off at 200+ deg temps during your first run trying to get the gearing right. Weeee.. you just toasted your rotor, you now have zero torque. Congrats. [ more whine here ]

"New battery required for GT2 to make a solid 8 minutes (Learned from last year that a 2 year old lipo is only good for 6 minutes ). "
People wanted "longer races" now that we have lipos... and what.. people are whining? I have 2 year old lipos and I make 10 mins with my race gearing. Now if you're running anything less than 5000mah. time to upgrade anyways. 5000mah makes its easier to make weight AND balance your car. Spend the $120 at ThunderPower to get a 5000mah. TRUST ME. you won't regret it.

F1 rubber and F1 foam looking more and more tempting.... Time to determine the cost of F104 rubber tires compared to the stuff required to make my GT cars legal / competitive....

Probably more expensive? here's a quick guesstimate.

GT Class: $90 motor (that can be used for weekly touring racing) + $120 TP 5000mah Lipo.

F1: (im assuming you dont have one yet) $230 car + tires $40 (not sure if thats accurate, too lazy to research) + motor ($50 for a tuned silver can if allowed or whatever the motor rules state). since its brushed.. you might luck out if you have a brushed esc handy. OH YAH..after TCS.. even if you do have an F1 already, who are you going to race with?

oh i forgot to add.. you stated to get your get [ class car ] competitive. whether its GT or F1. both will require top notch electronics (esc, battery and motor). either way... whatever you run (TCS, regular club race, etc)... if you want to be competitive you need to buy the equipment. funny everyone gets worked up about a race that comes to your racetrack once a year. i have 3 TCS races i can attend.

i like the rules btw.. anyone wanna buy my yellow ring 17.5 from nats? you can watch it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixzYjILrNSM (8th on the grid )

Last edited by Hebiki; 12-21-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: grammar correction for bad engrish
Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Will the Orion 4000mah lipo be legal for mini? It's got the rounded case to fit...
It's not on the ROAR lipo list?!?!?!? If your talking about the Orion rocket, it also has been discontinued . Looks like the 3500 is the next highest mah.

Also with the minimal wt. not reduced like all the other classes, at 1300g you still need a place to put over a 100g somewhere. Which a good place is the recess on the bottom of a Orion carbon edition. The Rocket doesn't have that recess.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki

F1: (im assuming you dont have one yet) $230 car + tires $40 (not sure if thats accurate, too lazy to research) + motor ($50 for a tuned silver can if allowed or whatever the motor rules state). since its brushed.. you might luck out if you have a brushed esc handy. OH YAH..after TCS.. even if you do have an F1 already, who are you going to race with?

o
I think Jimmy is leading the F1 class in the Hurricane All Star series out here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.