Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'd just like to say thanks for the run Tamiya, it was good while it lasted. My family, friends and I have been racing TCS since 1999 - the racing has always been great, and the people involved have been fantastic. But with the new rules for 2010 I have to throw in the towel. I simply can't afford to spend $150+ for new wheels/tires, bodies, and batteries to try to fit my TAMIYA car into a TAMIYA TCS class. I have enjoyed sucess over the years and hopefully my son can carry the torch in spec until the TT01 I bought last year is illegal like the TL01 I bought the year before that.

Good Luck, and I hope Tamiya has continued sucess with the TCS series.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Three
Not sure but don't the rubber tires/wheels for the F104 fit thr F103?

They are required for the F104 class so should be available (yeah right) before any T.C.S. races are held.

These should work on all Tamiya F1 cars:
Wheels for rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51398
Front rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51399
Rear rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51400
The offset is wrong for the 103. The rear would be way more narrow than the front
Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
Yes rules are rules, but when you limit a motor and not the speed controls (which is the real advantage) how is that fair.
can you hear he complaints if they were to limit both speeods and motors.....
Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I guess where I come down on it is either Spec a Motor/Battery or just open it up. This "watered-down" spec just... well it's watered down. As I've said before the motor choices seem somewhat arbitrary. I'm also not a fan of dumbing down GT1 to a 17.5 motor either. But it's still a great series, one of the best around. Like a fart in the wind, this too shall pass
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Obviously Tamiya needs to generate revenue, because if they fail to generate revenue, they fail to exist. No more Tamiya=No more TCS (I know, no duh)
I agree with Gary, I dont know why they felt the need to run the same motors in the GT classes.
I will say one thing, last year when there was discontentment with the rules, Fred changed them to keep the peace, so being vocal isnt a bad thing.
Most of the stuff (bodies and tires) that they changed the rules on is stuff that most people buy new every year anyways. Tires from last year can be used to practice with as well as bodies. IMO if you ran GT2 last year you probably have the least to spend. Running 2 F1 classes isnt bad either, they didnt hang all the guys with 15th anniversary 103s out to dry, which I think was a smart move on their part. I realize money is really tight out there, so its easy to say just go out and spend, but I think if one were to get creative , beg borrow and steal, you could get to the races for not a lot of money
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

If they're trying to generate revenue I don't think these rule changes will accomplish that goal. It's obvious from the comments on this thread that it has discouraged a lot of people. Why not increase the opportunity for participation and that will increase revenue. It's their series. It would be interesting to find out what the goals are behind these decisions.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
If they're trying to generate revenue I don't think these rule changes will accomplish that goal. It's obvious from the comments on this thread that it has discouraged a lot of people. Why not increase the opportunity for participation and that will increase revenue. It's their series. It would be interesting to find out what the goals are behind these decisions.
People are sayin they are bailin out now, but come the first race I am willing to bet that you see a lot of familiar faces. They may not set attendance records, but the races wont be empty either
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get over the rules and get ready for the season. I read them and will adapt accordingly. Will I go and buy one of the VOODOO spedos or a RED-DOT motor. HELL NO! Race what I got and have fun. TCS is FREE and should be fun. On a lighter note I wish I should of bought the Mobil1 Lexus body set when it was $20.00 on tamiya's estore for 2 months "DAMN!"
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

The funny thing about the rules and people saying Tamiya is trying to generate money is that the biggest issue in the rules are motors and speedos and those aren't even things Tamiya sells. Bodies and tires is non issue as many people buy new tires and bodies each year, that usually is budgeted into evry TCS racers budget as well as many TCS participants have a stock pile of tires and bodies anyway. Rims are cheap less than 10 bucks for a set of 4.

Motors were not in the budget this year and an ESC especially was not in the budget, but I will find away to race with what I have.

I go to this race to have fun and have a good time I have never had any expectations to win a regional but I would hate to get beat by someone on the same driving level as me because they have deeper pockets and will go out an get the $300 speedo. I don't mind getting beat by better driving and setup skills, I do hate getting beat by higher spending skills.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The funny thing about the rules and people saying Tamiya is trying to generate money is that the biggest issue in the rules are motors and speedos and those aren't even things Tamiya sells. Bodies and tires is non issue as many people buy new tires and bodies each year, that usually is budgeted into evry TCS racers budget as well as many TCS participants have a stock pile of tires and bodies anyway. Rims are cheap less than 10 bucks for a set of 4.

Motors were not in the budget this year and an ESC especially was not in the budget, but I will find away to race with what I have.

I go to this race to have fun and have a good time I have never had any expectations to win a regional but I would hate to get beat by someone on the same driving level as me because they have deeper pockets and will go out an get the $300 speedo. I don't mind getting beat by better driving and setup skills, I do hate getting beat by higher spending skills.
The funny part is that same person ( who buys the $300.00 speedo) bitches about the rules.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry too much about the ESC for Trackside. Set-up and driving skills far outweigh the software timing advantages IMO. If we were running oval I'd be telling you to save your pennies to buy the ESC of the month (I heard the Mamba Max Pro gave ~0.3 sec/lap advantage at the Oval Masters), but running a sedan on a tight/technical track such as Trackside you'll be just fine with whatever you have. I figured I'd give in and buy a new ESC once I could run as fast and clean as Lee P, so I think my money is safe.

As far as your motor woes, let me offer you this.... If all you need is a yellow band Novak 17.5, I'll trade you one straight up for your "illegal" black band. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
I wouldn't worry too much about the ESC for Trackside. Set-up and driving skills far outweigh the software timing advantages IMO. If we were running oval I'd be telling you to save your pennies to buy the ESC of the month (I heard the Mamba Max Pro gave ~0.3 sec/lap advantage at the Oval Masters), but running a sedan on a tight/technical track such as Trackside you'll be just fine with whatever you have. I figured I'd give in and buy a new ESC once I could run as fast and clean as Lee P, so I think my money is safe.

As far as your motor woes, let me offer you this.... If all you need is a yellow band Novak 17.5, I'll trade you one straight up for your "illegal" black band. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.
PM sent

Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

The reality of it is that no matter what, there will always be someone out there who can/ be willing to outspend you. Remember the 1 run tire debates?
I spend money and dont mind doing so, but when I hear that guys are going through 2 and 3 speedos a weekend to compete, I have to shake my head.
This may not have happened in TCS, but I have heard of it happening elsewhere
I thought most of the current speedos were around $200
I guess you are around $300 if you add a motor, and that is a lot of money,
but free race or not, its still racing and racing costs money.
I do applaud Fred for putting a limit on C rating for some of the classes/ When Lipos hit the market I was of the impression that they would provide some stability to the sport. I was wrong on that one, I bought Orion 3800's for Trackside and they were damn near obsolete before the first practice session that weekend.
Not complainin, just makin a few points, I will be on the grid at Trackside in March
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

GT1 should be 13.5
GT2 is 17.5
Gt3 is silver can

Any roar legal lipo should be able to run...There is a list on Roar's website
Any roar legal motor should be able to run...

The body rules are fine...

The tire rule is crazy...most guys have multiple set of 1 runs to use...Why change it now..???

Why limit this ???? Most guys already own a roar legal lipo and brushless.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is funny how BL and Lipo's are supposed to last for years, yet the need to replace them annually or sub-annually for the latest tech. "$300" esc's seem to be a must, especially with spec motors. If they were running roar 17.5 for GT1, then I would say not really.

I have not thrown in the towel yet, although if the rules jumped abruptly from 2004 to 2010, then I would be ticketed for speeding off this forum.

I will next be working on my budget for Snackside using dark glasses, bungee stick and a empty soup can on Michigan Ave. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.