Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Yes, F1 is making a comeback (maybe it will get more popular this year).
But why seperate classes? F103s and F104s have both foam tires and rubber tires. Seems like a waste. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Three
Yes, F1 is making a comeback (maybe it will get more popular this year).
But why seperate classes? F103s and F104s have both foam tires and rubber tires. Seems like a waste. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you can tell me where to get more TAMIYA rubber tires for an F-103, please do. As far as I know (which ain't to far) TAMIYA does not had both front and rear rummer F-103 tires available.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I wonder why the TT01 is not eligible for the GT3 class, when the TB series is eligible.
Ok, just reread the Spec rules. Huge change, no longer is the gearing locked at 8.35; now it's legal to use the speed tuned gears. This class always had drivers that struggled with the slower gearing, now were giving them faster cars?

I just bought 2 TT-01's: one for me to run GT3 (new rules eliminated that) and one for my 6 year old nephew to run Spec (which is no longer a class for beginners if speed tuned gears are allowed). He won't be ready for the New spec novice class since he isn't an intermediate driver.

Anybody want 2 new TT-01 kits?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
Ok, just reread the Spec rules. Huge change, no longer is the gearing locked at 8.35; now it's legal to use the speed tuned gears. This class always had drivers that struggled with the slower gearing, now were giving them faster cars?

I just bought 2 TT-01's: one for me to run GT3 (new rules eliminated that) and one for my 6 year old nephew to run Spec (which is no longer a class for beginners if speed tuned gears are allowed). He won't be ready for the New spec novice class since he isn't an intermediate driver.

Anybody want 2 new TT-01 kits?
Trust me when I say the new max gearing of 25/55 with a Johnson motor is not that fast and very controlable for a beginner. My son's friend who never drove an RC car before used my son's old TT01 Spec car with the 25/55 gearing and did very well for a first timer. I don't think the new gearing rule for TT01 spec is an issue.

Hopefully they will adjust the rules in GT3 to allow the TT01 since in the past GT3 has always been open to all tub chasis's.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I always wondered why they allow so many hop ups in the Spec Novice class. That doesn't make sense to me. That would discourage some people from trying it. As we have discussed before why would you exclude the TT01 from GT3. I have friends who are experienced drivers and not a lot of money. They have TT01's and might try a TCS race. The only conclusion I can draw is that they don't want too many novice or intermediate drivers. I haven't raced in the TCS in a couple of years. But, there was always this one guy who ran Spec Novice for years. I guess mini is always a huge class because of the price.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
If you can tell me where to get more TAMIYA rubber tires for an F-103, please do. As far as I know (which ain't to far) TAMIYA does not had both front and rear rummer F-103 tires available.
Actually Marty the Tamiya web shop still shows the Type A fronts in stock, dont know how many they have, but they show them
Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Actually Marty the Tamiya web shop still shows the Type A fronts in stock, dont know how many they have, but they show them
Well aware of that Brad. Fronts alone don't make a set though, do they?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Well aware of that Brad. Fronts alone don't make a set though, do they?
I think these new rules have everyone a little on edge!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Not sure but don't the rubber tires/wheels for the F104 fit thr F103?

They are required for the F104 class so should be available (yeah right) before any T.C.S. races are held.

These should work on all Tamiya F1 cars:
Wheels for rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51398
Front rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51399
Rear rubber tires: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51400

Last edited by Three; 12-13-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I think these new rules have everyone a little on edge!!!
Yes, & from an informal poll I did in my area, it seems to have pushed several people over the edge. I may end up being the only one from Oklahoma to go to ANY TCS race this coming season(& if I didn't already have 98% of the stuff I need, I might've decided not to go, too). I have some idea on why Tamiya chose some of these rules, but I think it's going to backfire & could threaten to end the TCS in the long run if they don't rethink it(which would be a great shame, since it was really the TCS that made touring cars big in the first place, IMO).
I agree that making GT1 a 17.5 class makes no sense, if they wanted to slow people down, they should've also moved GT2 down to 21.5's(I'm in FULL agreement about the how quick they can be, I see it in my Trans Am car all the time), or if they just HAD to do it, at least allow ALL ROAR legal 17.5's in GT1. And about the timing issue, they already made it a moot point when they added the Novak Ballistic Spec 17.5 to the allowed list, since it DOES have fully adjustable timing built into it(I believe it starts at 30 degrees, & can be advanced or retarded by as much as 30 degrees, I believe), not to mention that pretty much EVERY ESC manufacturer now has models with timing advance in the programming.
I could go on about some of the other rules , but it's already been said several times by others, I just really hope Tamiya thinks about what they're doing here, if they really want the TCS to continue....
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with the thinking on the new rules. I have been out of the scene a little while, but I bet I could give my TAO5 a good shot at any GT2 podium, but the car is not allowed ?? What happened to the days of GT-2 using any tub chassis, if I wanted to come out to a free race with my old TAO2 I have no place to race it ?? thats a shame..
The motor rules.. brushless is a little new to me, but having GT-1 and GT-2 the some power plants ?? The fun I had back in the day with my 414 x ( # 73 ) it was so overpowered for the parking lot, but oh what fun,It was my choice to put in a motor that could crush the car, but hanging on and 4wd drift was part of the " Skill " needed for GT-1

Silver can motors ? if there is a limit at one race there should be at all of them, or no limit at all of them, What was the rule at the Nats ?? Handout ?? did guys have magnet zappers at the race to enhance them ?

Looks to me a nice class is the F104- new chassis, rubber tires, racing with only other 104's...

mixing 103's and 104's?? 103's will win that race..

Gt1 and GT2 will look like the same class to spectators and other racers, with just different bodies ..

I guees it is still a " free " series to enter, but all the new class requirements are not..

I will still be at the track chasing Ray K, and Doug M.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Wow... rules are a little severe this year!! i don't know if I am going to run this at all! and i have been running this race for 6-7 years
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Let's remember that Tamiya is a company. Their main goal is to make $$$. They are not concerned that it is a tough economic time. They are not concerned if you have to buy new equipment to compete in "their" racing series. They have been surviving on their past reputation of a "fun", "free" race. They have banked on the great friendships created between racers that attend this series. I have been racing in this series in my area since the very first TCS race series.
(it was a hot sweaty sunday in Laurel, MD)
I've been watching the evolution of these rules over the past few years and saw Tamiya's direction.
This year's rules are a blatent, in your face message saying "We want you to buy more Tamiya products"

banning dish wheels for "scale looks"? yeah right. everyone already has a box full of wheels and tires from over the years. Tamiya needs you to buy new wheels and tires.
the GT2 IFS class from last year... Tamiya needs you to buy new kits.
the new body rules for GT2 and GT1... Tamiya needs you to buy new bodies

I will continue to run in the TCS races but each year's set of rules are not about pleasing the racers. It's about generating revenue. I hate liars, especially ones that try mask it as something else.

So let's just not fool ourselves.

Last edited by Markus; 12-13-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i dont understand all the complaining. Rules are Rules and with out them you cant have "fair" racing.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonC
i dont understand all the complaining. Rules are Rules and with out them you cant have "fair" racing.
Yes rules are rules, but when you limit a motor and not the speed controls (which is the real advantage) how is that fair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.