Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm sure Memphis will once again be the RUN WHAT CHA BRUNG venue when it comes to silver cans! Wide open track and some insane top speed minis!!!

As for the 13,500 venues, my prediction would be Trackside, Aliso, and perhaps NorCal. Who took the time to check them in 2009? I think the "C" set the limit to 19,000 or something insane, so everybody passed.

You know it's funny....I went to GT2 so I could run brushless and get away from all of the funny business with $20 motors, only to see the funny business with $200 ESCs! It's like they say.....RACING IS RACING, and people will do whatever it takes to get the last bit of performance out of their ride.

It's all good in my book. I'll run GT2 and mini next year, provided I can make the time to race at all, LOL!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

While I am fine with the rules, I have a question.
Out of the list of legal motors, which ones are really gonna be competitive?
Both the X11 and the SS are fixed timing, so are they even gonna be competitive?
How comparable are the others on the list?
Is there gonna be a timing limit?
If you overtime and over gear the motor, all of a sudden the racing is no longer cost effective, and thats before you even get to the profile on the speedo
Like I said, not complaining or whining, just trying to figure out where I should put my money, and do I need to have one of each motor?
I hope the answer is no. I might let my X11 go for a fair price if anyone is in need of one for TCS.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
you're killing me gary....fine ill entertain your train of though. you move GT2 to 21.5.. you'll hose GT3. what then? then you'll want mini at 21.5? don't post like an asshat. everyone knows who you are. the move is to increase attendance for GT1, not to "piss Gary K" off. TCS doesnt revolve around you.

is your diaper wet because you didnt get what you want? Then now you're just making noise to make noise. GT2 is fine at 17.5. take the rules as is... race.. or dont race. these days... you're doing more whining than racing.
Chris,

Please stop the name calling and keep things a bit civil.

Do you think GT-1 and GT-2 will be about the same exact lap times? Why have two classes? The 13.5 was no where near as fast as the 10.5's we ran in '08. More folks ran GT-1 in '08 than in '09. If you can only run one class at the Nats, do you think there will be additional entries with the new rules?

What is the difference? 50 grams and allowing dish wheels? All the bodies allowed in GT-1 run pretty close to the others with a 17.5 motor and the chassis are pretty close too with a 17.5.

Looks a bit redundant to me. If you want class entries to increase, maybe we will see that. From the discussion, I would expect fewer racers to enter around the country. You have to remember, Tamiya comes to town once a year for the rest of the world, not every weekend as it is for you.

Chris, get an F-1 running so we can bang wheels again. That WILL be fun!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Quick question:
"10. Tamiya F1 bodies only. Mixing of Tamiya bodies and Tamiya wings is NOT allowed."

Does this mean you have to run the wing that came with the body set? Or does it mean no mixing between f103 and f104?
Rob, from what I've been told;

Does this mean you have to run the wing (S) that came with the body set? YES!

and

... does it mean no mixing between f103 and f104? YES!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Both the X11 and the SS are fixed timing, so are they even gonna be competitive?
This is untrue. If you loosen the three screws on the endbell, the timing ring can be moved with a small screw driver counter clock wise to increase timing.

It's virtually the same on the X11
Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Rob, from what I've been told;

Does this mean you have to run the wing (S) that came with the body set? YES!

and

... does it mean no mixing between f103 and f104? YES!
Ok fine I just got my new c body and wing set tonight!!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Did you get the 4 year old from the Windows 7 commercial to draw that for you? "This is my timing ring, and I'm a PC."
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Did you get the 4 year old from the Windows 7 commercial to draw that for you? "This is my timing ring, and I'm a PC."
You sir, are no patron of the arts
Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Chris,

Please stop the name calling and keep things a bit civil.

Do you think GT-1 and GT-2 will be about the same exact lap times? Why have two classes? The 13.5 was no where near as fast as the 10.5's we ran in '08. More folks ran GT-1 in '08 than in '09. If you can only run one class at the Nats, do you think there will be additional entries with the new rules?

What is the difference? 50 grams and allowing dish wheels? All the bodies allowed in GT-1 run pretty close to the others with a 17.5 motor and the chassis are pretty close too with a 17.5.

Looks a bit redundant to me. If you want class entries to increase, maybe we will see that. From the discussion, I would expect fewer racers to enter around the country. You have to remember, Tamiya comes to town once a year for the rest of the world, not every weekend as it is for you.

Chris, get an F-1 running so we can bang wheels again. That WILL be fun!
if things ever get civil with me and Gary.. that'll be the end of the world. he knows im just screwing with him so name calling should be allowed.

honestly.. i really could care less what happens to GT1. it can go away.. it can stay. im staying in GT2 because i know the limits of my skill, not my budget. the tub chassis cars have a bigger sweet spot and thats good for me.

F1? im tempted... but ill just look like michelle quan out there, constantly spinning out.... im the last person that should be running F1.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
RCGaryk- I can tell you from personal experience this summer racing against in a mixed class with two VTA cars with 21.5's and special ESC's and they walked away from my car and a friends car. We were running 20T Stingers. So, i assume they would walk away from a silver can, but who knows what a top notch esc would do with a hot silver can.
Originally Posted by RCGaryK
For motors I firmly believe that a 21.5 is still faster than a Mabuchi. Look at Trans Am cars; almost the same speed and lap times as stock is.
We're on the same page there MD. I agree that a 21.5 is faster than a Mabuchi, almost the same speed on-track as a 17.5.

I absolutely think GT2 and GT1 will be virtually the same speed. If anything GT2 "may" be faster due to potentially better body choices, although I admit I don't know much about the shells approved for GT1 at this point. I think talking about Nationals is a moot point here as these are regional rules and Nationals always does something a little different.

Originally Posted by Hebiki
if things ever get civil with me and Gary.. that'll be the end of the world. he knows im just screwing with him so name calling should be allowed.
There's a time and place for that and then there's not. This was not.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is untrue. If you loosen the three screws on the endbell, the timing ring can be moved with a small screw driver counter clock wise to increase timing.

It's virtually the same on the X11
My understanding was that the motors were both fixed timing, thats why they were chosen
I guess I will try it with my X11
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
My understanding was that the motors were both fixed timing, thats why they were chosen
I guess I will try it with my X11
At the Nats they checked for any advanced timing and if you were out of spec they had you put it back before you were cleared to run on the track. I had a motor straight from Novak with slightly advanced timing, but it was easy enough to put it back to what they considered spec. I didn't run GT2 at a regional race, so I cannot confirm whether the timing was checked at any of those venues.

But as you have already mentioned, timing advancement in the ESC far outweighs any advantage you might gain from turning the ring on the motor a few degrees. But I suppose for those who do not have an ESC with any software timing, it was necessary to try and level the field. Unfortunately it often comes at the expense of a motor if you turn it too far and/or overgear it.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

F1 should not have two seperate classes.
The turnout is marginal to fill one heat at most events. The classes should be combined and the decision to run either foam or the new rubber for the F104 made.
NO motor limits in Memphis, never have been, never will. . This is racing.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I wonder why the TT01 is not eligible for the GT3 class, when the TB series is eligible.
While the TT-01 is a great Novice Spec car, it is also perfectly fine for GT-3, and with less upgrades than are allowed in spec.

I've now bought 5 of these cars, 3 I've given away to people to run spec and get them into the hobby, and I bought 1 this season for myself run GT-3; oops!
1) I kinda understand that Tamiya would want to sell new chassis as part of TCS but the TT-01 is still out there and is being bought for the series - why eliminate it from GT3? New chassis will get sold.
2) If the intent is to keep costs down - it's the cheapest car Tamiya makes, even cheaper than the Mini! I race my TT-01 new with a speed controller for $80! (see the Tamiya Enzo kit) Just add bearings and a spur and new you are under $100.
3) Is Tamiya concerned that the class is undermined by the "lower capable car"? The rules say for GT3 it's the class to graduate from Spec, why not allow the same car? Trust me, the TT-01 can beat "much more capable cars"; it comes down to driving, the TT-01 is a fine car for GT3.

I'd like to see GT3 opened up to include the TT-01.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trackside tcs 29 cars for F1

Ohmaha 8 (every class was low, mini only had 14)

Freemont CA 12 cars

Aliso 22 cars

Finals 19+11 expert cars

Just because a class is not popular in one place doesn't mean there is not a lot of people racing. This summer in Chicago, we had 2 heats of F1 cars many weeks, and F1 didn't take off until the summer. Southern and Northern California have F1 racing every week.

If it doesn't pan out, I'm sure they will have no problem getting rid of one or both classes. The turnouts will speak for themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.