Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I don't understand where people are seeing all these rules. I see spec and gt3 rules. I don't see any others, I guess I just run rally with my wife when the race is at trackside. Don't mind the non-dish gt3 rules but I am not buying more batteries.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

check the PDF file at the top of the rules.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
check the PDF file at the top of the rules.
Hey thanks Carl, I didn't notice that. Well this kind of sucks, all the changes will put me and the wife out for this year. We will still see you guys when you come to trackside.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I must have read something in the tea leaves, because I switched to all spoke wheels last year.

The GT2 rules seem to be just as they were last year (except wheels), only they have opened up the motor choices a bit. The black ring 17.5 wasn't legal last year either. I'm happy to see the Ballistic on the list, as I have already switched over to one.

Looking forward to the 2010 TCS season. Now if only I could figure out how to balance work and play.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Gary, this is very cost effective. The way I read the rules, you could run a GT-2 car in Gt-1 too. The only negative would be the 1400 grm vs. 1350 grm and a body that is legal in both classes.

OR

you could just change tires on an F-104 and run two classes with that.

I'm not understanding having two types of racing each with two classes with soo much overlap. At least the tires are different in the F-1 classes.

I see endless opportunity Gary. What's your beef?

You see a half empty glass and others see a half full glass. Using my Engineer genes, I see a glass that is twice as large as it need to be......
I simply see that the glass is the wrong size... Let me explain what I don't like.

Motor Rules:
GT1 has forever been the pinnacle class at TCS. I understanding bring the motors down to a lower motor limit, which is why the 13.5 rule was put in place. I don't like slowing down what should be the fastest class. I liked the class last year with the 13.5. They were fast, but not too much so.

As far as running a GT2 car in GT1, you could always do that, that's nothing new. I've done it many times.

The motor rules seem like they have a great attempt but I see it as a "swing and a miss". I'm not going to go into the ESC issues, others will/have tackled that. If you're going to Spec a motor, then spec 1 motor. Why allow 5 motors in a "spec" class? What's the point? Plus we can run any ROAR legal LiPo. This was done for simplicity sake. Why not follow the same rule for the 17.5s and simply allow any ROAR legal 17.5? Why INCREASE the barrier to entry by making someone buy an $80-$100 brushless motor if the one they race on a week-in and week-out basis at the local club doesn't happen to be one of these 5? And even if you're going to spec 5 motor for GT2, why have that cap in place for GT1, again, the class that is supposed to be at the pinnacle of TCS Racing?

I understand the thought behind the LiPo capacity limits, however I think the conclusion is flawed. You can get a great performing 5300 LiPo for under $90. You ran several of them last week. I also don't like the C-rating cap. You get to a point of diminishing returns with C-ratings. If the motor isn't drawing enough current to heat the cells up then you'll never get the performance boost of the Higher C-rating due to the fact that the battery's internal resistance doesn't drop as much as it could/should. It's like the motor rule. If the goal is to get everyone on the same "spec level" then just do me a favor and spec 1 battery and we'll be done with it. Also, the way the rules are written now, LiPo packs that HAVE BEEN LEGAL FOR YEARS are now illegal. The rules state:

TCS legal LIPO batteries must be 7.4 volts 2S-1P specification.

Orion LiPos are 2S-2P including your 4800's you've been running Marty. You also need to buy new batteries now because of this.

I think in many ways these new rules make it harder, not easier, for someone to run a Tamiya Chassis in their weekly club racing AND run TCS. For someone starting from scratch, these are all non-issues. For those of us who have been at this for years the barrier to entry has increased. I didn't want to post this whole thing which is why I only posted what I did. This is also nothing against Fred, I still love you like a brother, but I strongly dislike these rules for the above reasons.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
Larry,
I knew of one Black Ringed Novak that ran last year in GT2(2009 @Trackside). I am pretty sure they are the same.
Dave
I hope they will allow that too....

Is that possible to UNGLUE tires from dish rim and mount it back on spoke rims..? Or...someone want to buy my 12 sets of mounted Type A dish rim tire sets?

Look at it this way....I thought, TAMIYA will change all the speedo/motor rule to the SPEC TAMIYA BRUSHLESS SPEEDO AND MOTORS ONLY.......I didn't see that, so Tamiya is not completely out of control afterall.

Again...I will keep trying to paint my black 17.5 to yellow untill it is legal.

Last edited by Solara; 12-11-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To everyone who HAS to sit out the 2010 season for equipment reasons:

Please consider selling your "illegal" equipment here on RCTech, and picking up "legal" equipment also here on RCTech. Our community of racers is deep and everyone has needs. You'd be surprised who needs some odd brushless motor, and big cappacity/high C-rating lipos are always in demand. Check out the For Sale/For Trade forum!

Also, contact Noval about the black-ringed SS 17.5 motors. They have a great repair and replacement department, and MIGHT be able to re-ring your motor. Furthermore, consider just selling your SS for $35-40 and buying a new Ballistic for $79 ......they have replaceable stators for $33. So you buy one complete motor and for an additional $33 you can buy any turn they make, from mod turns to the new 25.5! I race on a budget and this is how I do it.

Buy smart, buy used. Don't sit out of the best national series going. Make it happen!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

Please consider selling your "illegal" equipment here on RCTech, and picking up "legal" equipment also here on RCTech. Our community of racers is deep and everyone has needs. You'd be surprised who needs some odd brushless motor, and big cappacity/high C-rating lipos are always in demand. Check out the For Sale/For Trade forum!

Also, contact Noval about the black-ringed SS 17.5 motors. They have a great repair and replacement department, and MIGHT be able to re-ring your motor. Furthermore, consider just selling your SS for $35-40 and buying a new Ballistic for $79 ......they have replaceable stators for $33. So you buy one complete motor and for an additional $33 you can buy any turn they make, from mod turns to the new 25.5! I race on a budget and this is how I do it.

Buy smart, buy used. Don't sit out of the best national series going. Make it happen!

could not have said it better
Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I like the rules....this being my first year back into a TCS event in 10 years or so I think the rules are fair. I can see why they dropped the 13.5 motors as that class is becoming way to fast for the average racer. I like that fact that I can now race in GT2 and GT1 with the same car and motor.

Also anyone who has an old Novak motor you can always trade it in to Novak for a newer model with their exchange program....so that will save you some money.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

But why two F1 classes (103 foam and 104 rubber)?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe

I accept having to run a Tamiya Chassis, wheels, body, tires, etc in a Tamiya race, but when they don't have a dog in the electronics fight some of these changes don't make a lot of sense and I forsee more changes for the 2011 season. Why should I sell perfectly good running gear that's I run week-in and week-out at any track? Why have people have to buy new batteries to get under the capacity limit, especially when capacity isn't an issue any longer? Why limit C-ratings when the motors won't draw enough current to take advantage of the greater numbers in these classes?

My greater point is this. I commend Fred for trying to Spec-out the motors and batteries. However if his true goal is parity then frankly why not just say that X motor and Y battery are legal and be done with it? That's somewhat what we had last year in GT2 with 2 motor options. Opening it up to the latest Novak and LRP somewhat makes sense due to availability...but the Tekin? Why that over the Epic, Orion, Losi, etc? That seemed really random and arbitrary to me...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default speedo's

Wonder How many will fork out the $400 for a CRC Speedo. for TCS
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Whatever the changes are in the rules, the cream will always rise to the top.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Whatever the changes are in the rules, the cream will always rise to the top.

Exactly, so why make things overly complicated?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

GT1 should be open motor like the good old days. I liked that insanity. Cost would probably be the same anyway! To race I'd have to buy a new motor 17.5, a new ESC (probably), and tires for every run. This is no different from when it was 10.5, 13.5, and now 17.5. At least we would have had continuity with the rules.
When you have more power than you need, the limit is in the driver. The only downside is increased wear and tear on components and more people complaining about too much speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.