Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
So let the speculation begin...F104 only for next year, or will both cars be allowed???
If Tamiya wants to kill the class again, like they did when they went to rubber tires, limit it to F104s and see the numbers drop. At the four Tamiya events I raced this year, 3 on the east coast and one in Canada, the 104 did not seem to have any advantage and the 103s far outnumbered them.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GREGK
If Tamiya wants to kill the class again, like they did when they went to rubber tires, limit it to F104s and see the numbers drop. At the four Tamiya events I raced this year, 3 on the east coast and one in Canada, the 104 did not seem to have any advantage and the 103s far outnumbered them.
And you dont think that that had ANYTHING to do with the fact that the car came out after the season started?
Dude dont be ignorant, the 103 has 15 years of development on it, the 104 less than 6 months. The 103 is a great car(i own 5)
The 104 will get there with some seat time. I have one that has yet to turn a wheel, but just looking at it, I know some of the first things I will try to get it working.There is way more to do with the 104 body in terms of paint schemes, and oh by the way, the 103 will go away at some point because it will be discontinued and then the parts supply will dry up. You need to embrace the future instead of living in the past!!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Can anybody tell me if Tamiya Aliso Viejo will be open this Saturday?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Can anybody tell me if Tamiya Aliso Viejo will be open this Saturday?

Thanks
YUP it will be open. Did you not get a good enough fix......Gotta have some more......
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
And you dont think that that had ANYTHING to do with the fact that the car came out after the season started?
Dude dont be ignorant, the 103 has 15 years of development on it, the 104 less than 6 months. The 103 is a great car(i own 5)
The 104 will get there with some seat time. I have one that has yet to turn a wheel, but just looking at it, I know some of the first things I will try to get it working.There is way more to do with the 104 body in terms of paint schemes, and oh by the way, the 103 will go away at some point because it will be discontinued and then the parts supply will dry up. You need to embrace the future instead of living in the past!!
I'll ignore the ignorant comment, though it was uncalled for, I did not intend to dis the 104, I agree with more development it will ultimately be faster than the 103. My point was keep the 103 for at least another year so car counts don't go down, the more cars there are in a class the more interest there is, I don't think you would argue with that.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'll ignore the ignorant comment, though it was uncalled for, I did not intend to dis the 104, I agree with more development it will ultimately be faster than the 103. My point was keep the 103 for at least another year so car counts don't go down, the more cars there are in a class the more interest there is, I don't think you would argue with that.
Im sorry for the ignorant remark, there has just been a lot of previous posting about how Tamiya does this and that and they screw this guy with poor parts support , and blah blah blah, and it just grinds me, and your post had that tone. It would be to Tamiyas benefit to allow the 103 another season, however Fred and crew are instructed by Japan on what classes are run and what chassis are legal for said classes. One thing to point out is that Fred was allowed to let us run lipos which are not run in Japan, so we do have something to be thankful for. Will the 104 be faster than the 103? Maybe, at some tracks, but the 103 due to its shorter wb is probably better suited for smaller more technical tracks than the 104
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2CARTEAM
YUP it will be open. Did you not get a good enough fix......Gotta have some more......
Nah, never enuff.

I still need to get my car to be happy at this track, never got it that good even after hittin the track 2 days before, heck, 2 weeks before the TCS.

IT WILL NOT PUSH!

So many great F1 guys gave me tips, put their hands on it and watched it go.
It should be so freakin dialed!
Driver?
I won't even bore everyone with the stuff that got put to this car but I don't think they missed a trick. It just stayed loose.

The Ultimate F1 gig is comin and I want it better.

I'll be tryin old school kit tires up front, told they are the hardest Tamiya has to offer but not feelin it as far as the squeeze test goes, older HBR Mediums "feel" firmer.
I'll run em and see.

After that I'm goin aftermarket if necessary and gettin some that are the durometer of petrified wood!

See you guys there.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Forget all the speculation about what classes we're gonna run, how about next year's schedule!

It sounded as though Fred had many of the dates already locked down, and he was tossing a few out there to tease us. Omaha in January? Aliso in February? When is Trackside next year? I'd like to clear my calendar ASAP and make a few of those races next year.

Once I lock down the schedule, I'll worry about what to bring.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Nah, never enuff.

I still need to get my car to be happy at this track, never got it that good even after hittin the track 2 days before, heck, 2 weeks before the TCS.

IT WILL NOT PUSH!

So many great F1 guys gave me tips, put their hands on it and watched it go.
It should be so freakin dialed!
Driver?
I won't even bore everyone with the stuff that got put to this car but I don't think they missed a trick. It just stayed loose.

The Ultimate F1 gig is comin and I want it better.

I'll be tryin old school kit tires up front, told they are the hardest Tamiya has to offer but not feelin it as far as the squeeze test goes, older HBR Mediums "feel" firmer.
I'll run em and see.

After that I'm goin aftermarket if necessary and gettin some that are the durometer of petrified wood!

See you guys there.
I just finished painting a new F1 body so I will bring mine back out this Saturday to play. Last time mine was on the track was back in early July before I went overseas. Will be the F103's first time on the new surface. From all the things I heard at the Nat's, all I can say is may God have mercy on my car and to those on track at the same time, I am apologizing right now in advance.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
We had a sweet battle at the end of the day with 6 Mini's here is who qualified in no particular order.

Brandon (thats me)
Troy Crabtree
Ken Brumblay
Steve Ashby
Jay ? (norcal rode with Steve)
David Weir

Results - No real winner since we freight trained alot of laps with passing back and forth motors were all the same speed Troy had just a few more ponies but was running a stock motor and it was an awesome time it was as if we ran Mini A main 1. It was SOOOOOO cool and fun I have to admit that it was the tightest mini racing with so many guys I have done EVER for so many laps. Its gonna be a great weekend

BTW- MO4 for sale with a ton of spares first $120 can have it - ball diffs, CVD's, aluminum shocks, etc. etc. etc. PM me. and yes I tried the car and NO it did not work at Tamiya considering the tires I have to use
See ya All tomarra
Hey Brandon,
Thanks for publically accusing me of cheating.

However your information is incorrect. I did not have a stock motor. However it was not a out of box silvercan. but it was not a red dot motor either. The ponies you saw was in the form of the added gearing in the M04. Please remember that the super hot Silver can you gave me went south about 3 minutes into the run earlier in the day.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cuda, I'll be at the track this Saturday and will try to run what's left of the micro tires that I have on my car. If we need to, we can tear your car down and rebuild it using all the tricks the F1 guys grand poohbahs have taught over the years. Shouldn't take too long with so few parts.

Also, if you have some of the new rear premounts, the night before, sauce them with Paragon for like two hours and then rub off with medium pressure using a towel. Afterwards, slather with suntan lotion and let sit for the rest of the night. On the fronts, whichever ones you have, just do the inside quarter to third with suntan lotion only.

I'll do the same with tires I have left in case you want to give them a try.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
... how about next year's schedule!
My concern with the schedule was having 2 tracks in the same area two weeks apart (like Memphis & Omaha). For me personally that was too close to do both.

Tim Ski the Omaha race organizer did talk about a January date to hopefully catch more guys. Which would solve the problem with Memphis and Omaha for 2010.

An early schedule release like last year would again be nice. Even if the schedule is not totally complete....

Good job on the Nats Tamiya!
Also congrats to Lee for GT2 win and the rest of the winners!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Rod,

I have a set of "meats" to sauce up just as prescribed.

I also have a set I wanna try, the key being the fronts are supposed to be the hardest compound Tamiya has.
I still feel it's all about the tires but am blown away that my car never even got close after finding the compounds of choice and all the testing and tweekin by lots of the talent that was at the show.
I think I have a pretty good copycat car but can't figure it out.

I'd be honored to have the top expert of the Nats put a whippin on my car.
See you there.

Kevin, hope I won't be slammin mine around anymore and I've seen you lay the smack down and I don't think you'll be out of control no matter how long you've had your F1 parked!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
For what its worth, for a car as light as the 104, and the fact that its direct drive, and add the fact that gearing it to the moon really doesnt give you an advantage, do you really need the biggest baddest brushless controller and fans and heatsinks?
add to that that you are only powering a 21.5
i think brushless is doable if things are kept in perspective.
As usual just my $.25
I would prefer rubber
I'd be really curious to see a 1S LiPo and a 13.5 or a 17.5 in an F1 car. I guess Tamiya has re-discontinued the F103 and is going to simply work on the F104. With 1S LiPo in the 104 you could feasibly mount the ESC up the gut right in front of the battery....
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually we saw more people running F1 when it went to rubber tires. A lot of people speculated that they could only win with Foams on F1 if they were using non-Tamiya foams or other cheating methods. Remember that, except for on carpet tracks, it used to be that you couldn't sauce your tires at all, even the foams. Guys were using Yokomo foams that had the same shiny sidewalls that Tamiya had, cutting off the sidewalls off of Tamiya tires and using other foam in the center section of the tire, soaking tires in a wide variety of spirits ahead of time and claiming that they didn't know it would soften them, etc. Rubber tires gave everyone a fair shake. With rubber tires you didn't have changing roll outs or tire chunking either and the assembly process was much easier. I remember the first or second year of rubber at the Nats that we still weren't allowed to use traction compound, hence the "Smudge Test". I want to say that was the year Beale won in fact.

What killed F1 was the F201. That car, while it looked awesome, was so over-engineered, heavy, difficult to setup, only used stick packs and overheated motors like crazy. Not to mention that they were 4WD which alienated purists like myself. I think that it would be a shame if the F103 was re-retired from the series since my 15th Anniversary car literally has just 1 race weekend on it and a clear body waiting to be painted up, I would understand if it went to an F104-only class for the 2010 season.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.