Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregT
I'll be posting the full results when I get home tonight, and possibly a video or two. I have all the A-mains recorded in high-quality format along with the final 10 minute F1 grudge match (good stuff!). I'll post all the videos, but may only do a few tonight.

Big thanks to Fred, Brian, Gary, George, the entire Tamiya crew and everyone who helped put on a great race!
Cant wait to live that ALL OVER AGAIN Thank you in advance for taking the video.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
Here's a few shots from the paddock of some of the nicer cars--there are a lot! But since we're doing the actual concours posing and judging tomorrow, there aren't any posed pics from today. I'll try to get the F1 guys especially to do some nice curb-posed shots. And yes, one of these pics is entirely self-serving. So sue me.
The F-Type belongs to Tom K.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great days of racing- glad RayK and I could make it to the Nats again this year. As you have figured out by now, Lee Passehl and Timmy Valles are going to Japan, as is Mike Monaghan. All three did a fine job winning their respective classes and we should be very proud that they will be representing the US at the Tamiya World Championships later this year.

There will be lots of pics and video links posted over the next few days, but a couple of high points for me:
* Spec class- more entrants in this class than in previous years, almost all young kids- some VERY young- and it was a hoot. This is the future of our hobby, and it's great to see so much interest from the sons, daughters and girlfriends of those in our racing community. Just as cool was seeing how well they were accepted and appreciated by the rest of the 'serious' racers this weekend.
* Fred's emotional tribute to Dave Beale during the driver's meeting on Saturday.
* Mike Webb's ING car winning F1 concours this morning. Several cars on the grid were painted by others and not acknowledged as such, but Todd Marshall was up front about entering the body as Mike's proxy and gave him full credit for the incredible detail work that Mike did on the car. Completely legal, very classy, very well deserved. Webby, you missed the regional win but got the National one instead. Good for you!
* Paulie Hageman coming in second in GT3. Hard to believe that- for as long as he has been racing and driving very well- this was Paul's first TCS medal winning drive ever. Great guy, great family, great racers. Richter won it walking away, but Paul's drive...wow.
* Arluck coming in second- for the fourth time (!)- in GT1. Nicest thing about this is that we'll have another opportunity to see yet another Arluck vs. Whoever battle in next year's Nats. One year he'll bring it home, and it will be all the sweeter.
* The incredible competitive spirit, cooperation, respect and gentlemanly behavior displayed by the Mini entrants this year. 32 absolutely killer drivers- yes, ALL of them were A Main material- given matched motors and equal batteries, then turned loose on each other and a track surface that changed COMPLETELY between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning...so much so that setups and tire combinations were being changed and thrown out left and right. Despite the heat, the track surface, the new M05, and everything else, this resulted in some of the most competitive (well, OK THE most competitive) racing of the weekend. Everyone went along with the program, the racing was super clean, and if you messed up or missed the setup you went to the back of the line. Three different winners in three Mains. Awesome.
* RayK. The guy gets tossed out of the Nats last year, then comes back in 2009 and wins FOUR regional events. At the last minute decides to join me in the trek to the Nats. Deals in a very adult and humble manner with the comments and attitudes. With only a few hours practice on Friday afternnon, he qualifies fifth in this super-competitive field while under the most intense scrutiny one can imagine. Finishes second overall, winning one Main in the process. Great guy, a great friend, and he wears The Shirt. What more can I say?

Anyway, yet another great Nats weekend. Grabbing the red eye home, then back to work tomorrow.
Later
Doc
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Doc you forgot to mention the cool trophy you won in concours!
Was nice to meet everyone, I was very impressed by the sportsmanship of everyone at this years TCS I hope this series will continue so I have a chance to improve.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thank you Fred and the Tamiya crew for another great TCS National. The weather was insanely hot, but all the Tamiya folks always had a smile on their face Thanks again

Congrats to all the winners and good luck in Japan! Bring home the gold!

Steve
Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregT
I'll be posting the full results when I get home tonight, and possibly a video or two. I have all the A-mains recorded in high-quality format along with the final 10 minute F1 grudge match (good stuff!). I'll post all the videos, but may only do a few tonight.

Big thanks to Fred, Brian, Gary, George, the entire Tamiya crew and everyone who helped put on a great race!
thanks for covering the event! cant wait to see the GT2 A-main videos.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

"The Kid" Michael Monaghan won the minis! Go learn some Japanese and convert some US $ to Yen!
So Cal local/hired gunslinger to do the drivin.

Way to go Kid!

Now you have a following like Boris Said's "Said Heads".

Yours will be the "Red Heads"
Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Hey guys,
I would also like to thank all of Tamiya, which includes employees, volunteers, friends, families and racers. This past weekend was truly a community of people focused on one objective, to have the best RC event/race in the country! I say this without hesitation.
I would like to qualify this by saying I've only been involved in RC cars for only 8 years and have competed and viewed a handful of big races and club racing events, some very good.
All had great intentions but some came up short. This event was not one of them.
Props goes to Fred Medal for putting together such an event. A lot of hard work and dedication on his part and his staff made this a show to remember for ever! I myself have a lot to be thankful for those who know me, understand. I can't thank enough everyone who contributed to my son's success not just now but over the years that we will forever be grateful, enough said "for now".
Congratulations to all the racers who finished in all the mains not just the "A".
We sometimes forget we are all winners, but yes the top dogs go to Japan!
Pro drivers and past champs and future champions put on quite a show to finish up the race. Way to go Lee alias "Mr Roboto" he was flawless though 4 qualifiers and the mains, again his Dad, Don behind the scenes with years of dedication to his son got him to where he is at now. Congrats to "The Kid" Michael, who I don't know personally but I do know that "Grandpa" contributed to where he is now! Once again many people supporting these kids in fulfilling their dreams!
Got work to do so I will talk later.
Max (The Proud Papa)
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default HoT Hot race weekend

Wow what can be said , another year of nats and another year of great memories. Thanks to all those who took the time to come from near and far to make this another great event. Without all you of you this would not be possible.
Congratulations to all the winners that are going to Japan. I know both Timmy and Lee have waited and worked hard to get this and are deserving of the opportunity. Never giving up after coming close so many years finally paid off for the both of them. It was great to look back and remember how young they were and how they've both come such a long way. As for James, Orlando, Oliver , Chris and Walter.... I'm sure they'll all be back and their time will come.Congratulations to Micheal as well for a great drive and I wish him the best of luck in his quest. Great Job Craig, (Old guys still rule ) Paul and Alan on their GT3 podiums. Good Job Donnie and to all the spec racers. It was a hoot to watch all of them out there duking it out.
Congarts to Austin on his win in sportsman F-1 and the grudge match. We had the pleasure of racing against him in the regionals and it was a blast then. He gets to hold that title for a year and he did a great job and earned it.
Thanks to Dave Jun, Rod Canare , Mark Dawson , Ling , Steve B, Edgar, Calvin, Steve Wang and the rest of the expert guys for coming out and making it an awesome F1 return. I know Jr had a a ton of fun racing with all of you. For him it will be one of those highlights to treasure. It was a shame that Racer Red Bull( Mr Berger) didn't show but who knows. Hey if schumi thought about coming back well.... Sorry Dave if Jr got more than a few pieces of you this weekend but both he and Rod were great sports about it. Seeing his friends go to Japan, racing with Rodzilla and Dave something his never had a chance to do....Does it get any better. I'm sure if he stays with it maybe someday he will have the honor to go to Japan and represent the U. S.
I would also like to thank all of you who have in some way or another supported us with your words and thoughts. Kevin Niino ,Craig Richter, Don & Lee Passehl, Granpa, Dennis Lyman, Tom Kahl and so many others.Your all a great community and were proud to be part of it. Great to see Doc & Marty. Good job Doc on getting back in the Big show after a few years of absence. Christian had an idea to pay a small tribute to a guy who was part of our community and one who he liked. Even though he was young at the time, he remembers Dave Beales words of encourgement when he made the A main in F201. We had the pleasure to meet Daves parents and I would like to thank Brian Mattson for putting that together. Also a special thanks goes to David Bird @ Birdstudios for the Minardi stickers that went on Christians car. He gave of his time to research the logos and get them printed.We could not have paid this small homage without his help.. Your the best. II'm sure he would be happy to provide anyone with his service especially if your looking to do something out of the ordinary.
We are already looking forward to next year . I hope Tamiya will continure to put on these events. Great job to all the Tamiya staff Fred, Andrew George , Brian ,Rodger, Dave Ian, Izzy and the lovely young lady who's name has slipped my mind....( Old man syndrome.) Thanks Again to all and will see you next year.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccardr
Results after 3 rounds of (VERY HOT) qualifying:
F1 Expert:
Ron Canare
Christian "I wanna piece of Jun" Lopez
Dave "Where'd that piece of me go?" Jun
Ling Kang Tong
Deven White
Mark Dawson

F1 Sportsman:
Austin Brumblay
Fernando Jose
Marty Hageman
David Aubuchon
Danny Hua
Michael Carino
Todd Marshall
Craig Hammond
Tom Kahl
Nick Imineo

GT2:
Lee Passehl
Oliver Clipper
Orlando Sherman
Kevin Cole
Henry Szato
Anthony Fung
Chris Lim
Alex Lau

GT3:
Alan Mok
Craig Richter
Paul Hageman
Alex Lopez
Bill Tomasoff
Jim Rudai
Gary Fitz

GT1:
James Arluck
Joe Glover
Timmy Vales
Walter Cosico
John Catricala

Mini:
Danny Egger
Mike Monaghan
Bill Wallace
Nathan Weir
Ken Brumblay
Ray K
Doc Mertes
Brandon Koslosky
Jung Yu
Jerry Man

Sorry if I mis-spelled anyone's name, I'm working off of camera pics of the post-3rd round reshuffle and they are hard to read. Short story is it was VERY HOT today, so just surviving- let alone making the top grouping in any of the classes- was a real achievement.

We're having fun and appreciate the many messages, text pages and well wishes from all of our friends.
Good to see you agian Doc. We didn't much of a chance to talk or even say good bye. Nice to see you back in the A main. Both you and Craig are like fixtures. I think Jr got more than a few pieces of Dave. A few side pods a wing , a tire...... Dave a great sport.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A few pics of this past weekend's action at the TCS Nats:
* Team Red Dot with their hardware. Four tired, salt stained but happy racers!
* Closeup of the winning F1 councours car
* Closeup of the stunning Massa Ferrari
* Action shot of Lee Passehl entering the chicane after the carousel. I took about 15 shots of this same spot during one of Lee's qualifiers and he hit the same spot time after time after time. Wow.
* Candid (and quite accidental) shot of how impressed the attendees were with the quality of the F1 concours entries. This is the future of our hobby...may they always be this spellbound.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-team-red-dot.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-ing-car-closeup.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-massa-ferrari.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-lee-entering-chicane.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-can-you-say-spellbound.jpg  

Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Congratulations to all the winners.

The young guns are showin everyone how to get it done!

All but one class was won by a kid! (I think that's right).

Well one class was won by an older kid, good job Craig. I like the name too!

Austin, are you for real? This kid delt with all the same traffic as everyone else in the F1 Showdown and there was traffic and he ran away from the entire field. Amazing drive, gotta see this video.
My F1 sucked for traction all weekend and this guy was locked in a groove!

Lee, great talkin with you and your dad, you were untouched as you went on to win the first 2 mains.
Have fun in Japan and I look forward to seein you guys at the local tracks in the near future.

Timmy fantastic job, you and your dad are the coolest.
See you next weekend probably!

Michael Monaghan is my new hero!
I race with him every week for the past couple years.
He is very fast.
He and his family are the best! They deserve this trip to Japan.
Those 4 young guns are gonna have a blast, lifelong experience.

East coast what?
How many regional wins? Who? I saw that 1 win, could have let the kid back by after the contact but I guess it was a racin incident.
Monaghan got him anyway.
Nah, it's all good, just sayin

Kid keeps tellin me to come race minis and I keep tellin him only if I get one for free!
Well, guess what I won in the raffle yesterday. Yep, a freakin mini!
We were jokin about it right up til they called the number and unbelieveably my number was called.
I had to yell, NOOOOOOO.
It's gonna be fun!
Anyone got some trick mini parts for sale?
No, really.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

* Spec class- more entrants in this class than in previous years, almost all young kids- some VERY young- and it was a hoot. This is the future of our hobby, and it's great to see so much interest from the sons, daughters and girlfriends of those in our racing community. Just as cool was seeing how well they were accepted and appreciated by the rest of the 'serious' racers this weekend.
If you think about it, it was not just the Spec drivers that were young. The average age of first place finishers this year has got be one of the lowest ever. Throw out the "old farts" like Craig and Rod and the average age drops to below the drinking age in France! But seriously, for the finals I have never seen so many parents of the winners in attendance. Seeing the joy on Lee's Mom's face after the A2 of GT2 was quite moving...
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Results after 3 rounds of (VERY HOT) qualifying:
F1 Expert:
Ron Canare
Christian "I wanna piece of Jun" Lopez
Dave "Where'd that piece of me go?" Jun
Ling Kang Tong
Deven White
Mark Dawson

F1 Sportsman:
Austin Brumblay
Fernando Jose
Marty Hageman
David Aubuchon
Danny Hua
Michael Carino
Todd Marshall
Craig Hammond
Tom Kahl
Nick Imineo
Who had F103s and who had F104s???
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
Who had F103s and who had F104s???
I belive the only F104's in that list were Dave Jun, Mark Dawson and Danny Hua. There are a few names which I'm not sure of but I'd say the vast majority of the entrants were F103. I'm sure with time and if tamiya begins to offer a more diverse foam tire selection for the F104's this will change the landscape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.