Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ray K. #1 2009 MINI Champion

hello Ray, Good racing you had this past weekend and all year !!!!

Im happy to see you stand up to all the bull shit this year...

I know i wasn't in CA. last year, But i do know you have made it better for every one this year and years to come.

The National in CA. would be nice, But i think you have the title already by winning all your regional events this year.

Maybe Tamiya needs to look at who and how they send some one too Japan for the world title.

congratulation !!! MR. Ray K.
USA. Tamiya MINI Champion 2009
and the " DOT "
Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v6racer
... i think you have the title already by winning all your regional events this year.

All the competitive sports/events that I know of give out their prizes AFTER the event, not before!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by v6racer
hello Ray, Good racing you had this past weekend and all year !!!!

Im happy to see you stand up to all the bull shit this year...

I know i wasn't in CA. last year, But i do know you have made it better for every one this year and years to come.

The National in CA. would be nice, But i think you have the title already by winning all your regional events this year.

Maybe Tamiya needs to look at who and how they send some one too Japan for the world title.

and the " DOT "
I met Ray at the Nationals last year and agree that he's a nice guy and a very good Mini driver. BUT, he is NOT the 2009 Tamiya Mini Champion.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but let me explain something to you. To be the Indianapolis 500 Winner you have to win the Indy 500. To be the Daytona 500 winner you have to win the Daytona 500. These races are held at Indianapolis and at Daytona. To be the USA Tamiya Mini Champion, you have to win the Tamiya Mini race at the Tamiya National Championships. This race is held at Aliso Viejo, CA, for this year anyway.

I did NOT say that he couldn't be or that he wasn't capable of winning, cause he most certainly is. However, unless he wins at Aliso Viejo he won't be the Tamiy Mini National Champion. You can win every damned Mini race in the country, but you won't be the Champ.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
And her name was Russel...

lol
I need to finda a NV... any kinda NV
Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Thanks for the kind words Bill, I did win four regionals this year . My personal best . But I agree with Granpa ,I'm not the national champ .

I didn't keep track of who won the west coast stops.The two stops I missed in the east ,Omaha and Memphis , Mr. Charlie Lydon won, of Core Creations. He will be are east side support at the nats. this year .

I wish him the best of luck ,as I will not be attending .
Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ultimate F1 Series Day

Some of you guys are going to be really happy

The Ultimate F1 Series Day is coming to the TAMIYA track 9.27.09

check out website for more details...

http://www.charleslightfoot.com/UF1SD.html
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lightfoot

Hooray!!! Great job Mr. Lightfoot on securing the Tamiya track for the Ultimate F1 event. I'll certainly be there.

Also, I read that you mentioned on your blog that the Tamiya locals with the F103 might have an advantage...personally (and unfortunately) I don't think so. After the resurfacing of the track recently, we are out hunting for setups with the F103 and F104 as the car now behave differently compare to before resurfacing. So those that are running other chassis platforms at the event will be in similar boat as we are currently, and I really don't think they'll be at any disadvantage

Steve
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teamstrc
Also, I read that you mentioned on your blog that the Tamiya locals with the F103 might have an advantage...personally (and unfortunately) I don't think so. After the resurfacing of the track recently, we are out hunting for setups with the F103 and F104 as the car now behave differently compare to before resurfacing. So those that are running other chassis platforms at the event will be in similar boat as we are currently, and I really don't think they'll be at any disadvantage

Steve
Steve,

Care to elaborate on what is working and is not working on th F-1's to give us out of towners a jump start?

Will you be running F-1? If so, it will be fun running with you again.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on an F103
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Watching the f103 though the infield is like watching a slot car... on rails. F104 is very fast, just does not seem as easy to wheel when the road curves IMO.

I hope some of the Tamiya locals will come back out for the Ultimate F1 race as they have some serious track time/practice, would be nice to see a f103 do well (if not win) against the other manufacturer's cars that will be attending.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Good luck Ray!!!
I'll be pulling for ya just drive don't worry about a thing
also I would send you a body but not enough time to finsh one
anyway you got this
M.M.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SilverShelby
Good luck Ray!!!
I'll be pulling for ya just drive don't worry about a thing
also I would send you a body but not enough time to finsh one
anyway you got this
M.M.
Mike, I think you missed Ray's earlier post. He won't be attending the Nats this year.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
Steve,

Care to elaborate on what is working and is not working on th F-1's to give us out of towners a jump start?

Will you be running F-1? If so, it will be fun running with you again.
Marty,

Honestly, I'm really the wrong guy to ask on the whole F1 thing. Yesterday was the first time I driven an F103, so I have no reference point to what the car would be like on the older surface. From what I gathered from the other "veteran" F103 guys, the traction is very good for touring cars and mini (rubber tire vehicles) but a bit unfriendly to the foams at the moment. They are currently not saucing the track yet (I'm not sure if it has to do with the new surface and it might be damaging if we start to sauce too quickly...just my guess). Right now the F103 guys are saying the cars felt very "edgy", "floaty" were some of the general comments.

There were a lot of experiment on turning down the steering and throttle curves (as much as 50% down) and also a lot of experimentation on different traction compound (I tried an aray of compounds from Jack the Gripper, to Paragon, to WD40, with sun tan lotion and without) and foam compounds, and how much of sauce to use. For example, on one of my runs, saucing 1/4 of the front made the car driveable, and on the next run using the same sauce, but covering 1/2 of the front made the car very edgy.

The F104 seems to have an easier time getting around the track on the new surface as the car seems to have a push out of the box, so they are very stable. However, I can't tell if they are currently faster than the F103 (there were only 2 of them out there this past Saturday, and we didn't get on the track at the same time).

Most of the guys are running the Type C body with their F103 which if I remember correctly have more steering, so that could be contributing to the more "edgy" feeling of the car. I ran the Type M body and it seems to be good (although unfortunately I don't have a Type C painted up in time to try back to back), and again, I'm not even sure what is a good feeling F103 since this is my first day with a F103, so please use the information above carefully with that reference in mind.

Personally, I really enjoyed the challenge of setting up and driving these direct drive cars (kinda wish I did it sooner all these years of TCS). Oh, the other thing about the track right now is that there is certainly a groove on the traction (not so visible to the eyes) but if you put your F1's foam tires out of the groove, it picks up all the dirty stuff on the outside and it takes a few laps in the groove just to pick up traction again (just like real F1 )

I will be racing F1 at nats Marty and if that's the class you're racing, I too look forward to racing you again in that class. For those of you that don't know, Marty is one of the best and cleanest driver on the track. Always a pleasure racing with Marty, no matter what position we are racing for

Steve Wang
Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lightfoot

WOOOOOOOHOOOO!!! now were talkin!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Track

I would like to thank the guys involved with refinishing the track. Your hard work is much appreciated and the results are spectacular. Pictures do not do it justice and the view from the driver's stand (especially when your driving your car) is awesome. Last Saturday was the first time I ran sedan on the new surface and traction is incredible. Again, thanks to all the guys who worked their magic on the track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.