Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree823Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I think they should do it Wednesday Aug. 26th so all you local racers don't have an advantage!As if you don't already!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Hey FMW....

I thought I remembered that the Aliso Track is going to get a makeover with a new black top and paint....Do we know when its going to happen ? Want to get some practice on the new slicked track.
Kevin,

I have been told by many people that it will be getting done this week.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated Laurie and I enjoyed our time there in Glen Burnie with you all. Awesome group of guys to spend the weekend with racing in the ever changing weather of Maryland Everyone was so friendly and helpful. It is what makes TCS races a step above all others, It's like we all are a big family.

I agree with you completely with your props list, these guys made it all happen. Robbie Dodge rocked on the announcer duties, one of the best I've seen hands down. Mike Webb ran tech smooth and fast. I hated seeing him have all that bad luck. F1 drivers will be in trouble when he gets the kinks worked out, his car was a missile. Dave was kind enough to ask me if I was ok after face planting into the asphalt while turnmarshalling, before he broke out into laughter over the microphone Just to explain a little more about what happened for the people that were not there, lack of sleep for 2 days, way too many Mt.Dew's, and flip flops caused me to get a real closeup view of the pavement at the end of the sweeper But hey I got that car back on the track after crawling for it! I'm missing a chunk of flesh about the size of a dime from my big toe, knee cap is toasted and was picking gravel out of my hands for a hour after that qualifier I never really understood why ROAR spoke of insurance as a benefit to being a member before.....but now I do!!!! LMAO!!! I know Laurie thanks you for that red dot...the speed boost was insane. First time he ran it, I watched him go wide at the end of the sweeper because his car was going too fast! Great job with the motors.

I wanted to add Bob Vacek to this though for his outstanding generosity at the end of the day by donating a new in box m03 to the mini B-Main winner. He didn't have to do that. He did it because he is selfless. I want him to know his kind act definitely did not go unnoticed.

Jimmy Mac protégé? That's a nice way to put it! Especially since he calls me his b!+c#! Me and Jimmy go way back, He is a great friend and has taught me a lot over the years. He is always fast, always will be

Can't wait to see you all next year. I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the guy wearing a helmet, knee pads, and SHOES!!! Take care Ya'll!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

My personal preference on Tamiya tires for the tc classes are B3's. I consider the type A's a one run tire. They probably work well for carpet or cold tracks, or if you are trying to grab tq early in the day.... but for asphalt I would tune your setups on B3. They have a wider temp range than A's and stay fast longer. During this past weekend my car was dialed in the morning when the track was cool and still dialed in the mains on B3. But I will note that if the track temps hit 130F you will probably need to adjust your setup slightly, as B3's temps will go over there limit during the run.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
My personal preference on Tamiya tires for the tc classes are B3's. I consider the type A's a one run tire. They probably work well for carpet or cold tracks, or if you are trying to grab tq early in the day.... but for asphalt I would tune your setups on B3. They have a wider temp range than A's and stay fast longer. During this past weekend my car was dialed in the morning when the track was cool and still dialed in the mains on B3. But I will note that if the track temps hit 130F you will probably need to adjust your setup slightly, as B3's temps will go over there limit during the run.
only 130? Tamiya's regionals last month... we hit 140deg F for the GT2 A-main.

and we ran 8 mins.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Those Silver Can engineers at Red Motor finally got it working. They been testing a 13,000 RPM legal motor at Glen Burnie for the last 3 months.

An inside source at the Advance Fluid Systems in Glen Burnie said that it is a special lubrication with some kind of biological nano particle technology in a carbon/silcone substrate. The lubrication is activated by a RFID molded in a special 20 tooth pinion. Once the motor is activated by the pinion and heats up during racing, the RPM's goes way up to 26,000 RPM. Remove the pinion for testing, and the bacteria dies and gums up the motor. Post race RPM testing is under 12,000 RPM.

The only problem is that the lubrication has a foul smell. They are suppose to work on the odor in time for the TCS Nats.

There were 2 cars testing the new motors at the Glen Burnie TCS.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Will AV track be open this Saturday?
YES

At your own risk though. New slurry coat goes on tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
the weather in new england is unpredictable and never consistent.
One day it's 60F and the very next day can be 86
If the clouds come the assphalt stays cool, sun brings it out to 80-90F.

Type A's or B3?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
the weather in new england is unpredictable and never consistent.
One day it's 60F and the very next day can be 86
If the clouds come the assphalt stays cool, sun brings it out to 80-90F.

Type A's or B3?
Haha I know what you mean about the weather up there. I lived in Providence RI for 5 years, snow on the ground one day, next week your wearing shorts

With the temp changes being so drastic from morning, to mid day, and into the evening in New England you really need to have both Type A's and B's. I know thats probably not what you want to hear but that is what I would advise to try and do. If I was in your situation and didn't want to spend a ton of money, I would probably get 2 sets of A's and 1 set of B's. TCS races usually start early in the morning so I would run A's then. Your second qual will probably be mid day, and so then I would run B's. Then before the mains, they will have a short break. Take your car out and make a couple laps with your second set of A's, then try the B's for a couple of laps and feel the car out. Go with whatever makes you feel confident for the main. That way if you have a crazy temperature day you're covered. And if it stays hot the whole day your still probably going to be good because B's are pretty long lasting. This past weekend I ran the same set of B's the whole day on my GT2 car, and they still have plenty of runs left in them. Hope this helps you out
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
HEy Jeff,

Where does all my Type "B" tires fit into the spectrum?
Probably around the same place as running the TA03. . .
If you have B2s then maybe there will be a Tamiya cash for klunker deal coming up.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

I didn't see a rule in TCS guidelines where it says "Tamiya Bodies Only"?
IS that true? If so what body for GT1?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I didn't see a rule in TCS guidelines where it says "Tamiya Bodies Only"?
IS that true? If so what body for GT1?
I think this one falls under good ol' general rule #1:
Tamiya parts only. No parts from other manufactures unless specified here.

Most guys like the Acura NSX or Ferrari, but you can run any Tamiya sports car or sedan body with the exception of the Legacy B4.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

oh thats cool, the legacy B4 is the only body i would want to run because it
closely resembles and actualy TC body, so you have to run some
silly body that has nothing to do with TC?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

oh thats cool, the legacy B4 is the only body i would want to run because it
closely resembles and actualy TC body, so you have to run some
silly body that has nothing to do with TC?
With all due respect, the class is called GT1, not touring car, so those "silly" bodies as you call them are perfectly relevant. There is so much TC racing out there, why would you go to a TCS race if you want to race what every other track around runs? Thats what makes TCS cool that it is not another "me too" series.
Just my opinion
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Well that is a good point, i guess they are trying to go for
uniqueness. What are the popular body choices for GT1?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.