Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Was that a clear answer...lol So what are we running. 3400? 2400s?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow. A REALLY enjoyable day of racing today at the TCS event in Glen Burnie, MD. One of the best I’ve had in years. So good, in fact, that I felt it called for an extended props list. So sit back, grab your favorite beverage and a snack, and read the following. It will take a while.

• Many thanks to Robby Dodge, who heads up the HobbyTown GB race program. Yes, I know you guys have done this for eons, and yes, you know what to do without being told, but at the end of the day someone has to be The Responsible Adult and make the hard decisions, and in my observation that is most often Robby. Even though he had to leave on a biz trip after the first round, he showed up and made sure the event was going to bang off on time. Plus he drives a heck of a Mini. Well done, sir!

• Kudos to Big Dave, who took over the Race Director duties when Robby had to exit the scene. Faced with a prediction of impending truly nasty weather, Dave kept the program rolling right along, took suggestions and advice on the fly on how a ‘Tamiya’ event is structured, and made sure there were a minimum of dead spots in the program, all without pi$$ing people off. That’s a hard and thankless path, but Dave pulled it off and did the awards program as well. Glen Burnie may be the only TCS event with a 50/50 raffle, but hey- it’s the culchah. Great job!

• Congratulations to Mike Webb, Tech Dude extraordinaire. This was simply not Mike’s day. He spent a zillion hours on an absolutely PERFECT F1 body- ING decals, head turned with a servo, visor flipped up and down, real ductwork in the bodyset, wheels & tires to drool over, etc. I’m sure there will be pics of it all over the web- probably the finest F1 body based on an actual Tamiya bodyset I’ve ever seen in person. And it did not win concours because the judges- two lovely young ladies recruited at the last minute- liked ‘the red one’. Sigh. Then Webb breaks his car- probably the most dialed-in F1 chassis within 100 miles in every. Single. Qualifier. Sigh #2. Servo. Servo saver. Front wheels and tires. Still, after much thought and deep breathing exercises (remember, Mike is also doing premier Tech Duty, with people coming up and asking questions, yada yada yada, interrupting his repair work) he puts it in the F103 Main at the tail end of the field. Within oh, maybe two laps he’s dicing it out with Todd Marshall who’s been gifted with the former Jamie Hanson machine (yeah, I know these guys are all locals, but they’re GOOD locals) and is cutting some seriously low lap times AT THE FRONT OF THE FIELD. Here comes the last minute, and Webb- who’s like RIGHT THERE with Todd- smokes the motor. In a big, nasty, smoke plus flames plus terrible smell fashion. Game over, Todd wins. And Webb- well, he just smiles through the whole roller coaster experience (well, not maybe the WHOLE experience…there was that brief time when we had to talk him down off of the ledge after the second qualifier). Which is why we love Our Webby.

• The ‘Most Out of The Blue Where Did These Guys Come From’ Award goes to Laurie (yes, he’s a guy ) and Tim, who drove up from somewhere in the Carolinas. Both of them must dominate the tracks where they come from (and I understand that Tim is a Jimmy Mac protégé’, which tells you something), because they certainly hit the ground running today. Laurie was an immediate force in Mini, finishing 2nd overall but was a real challenger all through qualifying. Tim just walked in, grabbed GT2 and GT1 by the throat and did some sort of weird Brazilian Jiujitsu thing with it and stomped all over the field on both classes. Awesome driving, highlighted by the outside kink pass on Austin Vacek (no slouch, himself) that just left the crowd breathless. On top of it all, Tim marshaled so hard he hurt himself. Good guys, fast guys, nice guys.

• My customers. Shameless plug here, but every first place, every second place, and every third place but one was held by a Red Dot silver can motor. Almost every A Main car in the Mini, F1, and GT3 classes was running a Red Dot of some vintage. Of course, all of the handout motors in Senior Spec were also red Dot 15K’s and not a single one failed. Sweep, Sweep, Sweep. Fast, consistent, reliable silver can horsepower for the common man. That’s what Red Dot stands for, and you guys delivered today with incredible results. I could not ask for more. Many, many thanks.

• Finally, a huge shout out and Tip O’ the Doctor’s Hat to the Red Dot Motors International Playboy Driving Team (that’s actually what it says on the custom embroidered navy blazers I make them wear when we travel): Ray K and Matt Jarrett. These guys are not only good friends (OK, awesome friends and incredibly talented drivers) but they supported (and defended) the idea behind Red Dot before there ever was a Red Dot Motors. They’ve put up with clunker motors (well, I thought that would work), shared some pretty low life hotel accommodations (snore, fart, snore, fart) and have just generally been great guys. They’re certainly not sponsored, they get no money from Red Dot, and heaven knows they must be patient because they put up with me and my weirdo ideas. There are no better, and I’m proud that they wear the Shirt.

Again, many thanks to everyone today. Without your participation and support of the TCS series, the world would be a far dimmer, and less wonderful place. Peace.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

I need to know what tires and rims to use for
GT1 class

I would prefer a tire that performs similar to Sorex 28r
Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

You have one choice on rims...which color ( yellow, white , orange) all must be Tamiya Brand.

On the tires....you have B3's and A's. None are similar to your 28's. Its a Tamiya race and you must run Tamiya tires and rims.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
I need to know what tires and rims to use for
GT1 class

I would prefer a tire that performs similar to Sorex 28r
Unless it is really hot, probably Type A's
Inserts are personal preference, but you have to run Tamiya rims, offset seems to be a difference of opinions as well, also depends how you have your car setup
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

I guess its the medium narrow Type A slick tire.
Is this tire softer than type B3?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

i believe so
Tamiya does their tires more on temperature than anything else
Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A - usually work for carpet, cool weather or morning overcast running.

B3 - usually are better for sunny warmer days.

It is hard to say As are softer than B3s. They are as BP said a temperture rating more than a softness rating. If the track temp is 120F then As will work maybe for a minute or two then go away.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrats Timmie! Good to hear you pulled it together. I know you've worked hard to prepare for this race. Looks like it paid off! We've known each other for awhile now. He's just getting back into racing this year after a long hiatus. Now he just needs to get that GT1 win. Sorry to hear about your servo. Oh, you gotta tell me about this uhhhh turn marshalling mishap..

Congrats to you too Laurie on your finish. Maybe next year you can get the gold! Oh, and don't think I'm gonna let you off easy at "The Wood" either. We have a regional race at our home track...

Congrats to all the other winners out there. Sounds like yall had fun.

Oh, I think B3's are good for outdoors. I only used A's when the weather cooled down or if it was raining. Last time I ran A's was in Laurel, MD for GT1 Amain. I had no other choice since all my tires were years old. The A's were good for a couple laps, but overheated and the car got slick for the remainder of the race. I know Timmie had some B3's at the house. But not sure what he ran in GT1. I'm sure he'll chime in once he gets some rest.

I may come out next year to play. I wanted to come to this one. But I had a family cookout and college work to do. How is the F1 class looking? I'm thinking I might try that out maybe.

Anyways, catch some of yall Aug 1st at the Coliseum. Timmie and I will be up there for some Nats practice along with a ton other NC racers.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Was that a clear answer...lol So what are we running in mini. 3400? 3200??2400s?
Bueller?.....Bueller...???
Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Will AV track be open this Saturday?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

anybody selling a used set of Type A's or Type B3?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

anybody selling a used set of Type A's or Type B3?
yes I have both
1 set (4 wheels) B3 with Tamiya blue inserts (soft)
1 set B3 with Tamiya green inserts (medium)
1 pair B3 with Tamiya black inserts (firm)
1 set Type A with Tamiya black inserts
1 set Type A with yokomo inserts (37m & f)
1 set Type A with HPI red inserts (medium/soft)
$20/ set shipped to you
PM me
Old 07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by A-Ko
A - usually work for carpet, cool weather or morning overcast running.

B3 - usually are better for sunny warmer days.

It is hard to say As are softer than B3s. They are as BP said a temperture rating more than a softness rating. If the track temp is 120F then As will work maybe for a minute or two then go away.
HEy Jeff,

Where does all my Type "B" tires fit into the spectrum?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Hey FMW....

I thought I remembered that the Aliso Track is going to get a makeover with a new black top and paint....Do we know when its going to happen ? Want to get some practice on the new slicked track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.