Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I think Ive said it before, but why is anyone "building" a silver can motor
I will be the first to admit that there are 3 Red Dots in my possession presently, but all this stuff about tuning silvercans contradicts what that motor is about.
With all due respect, out of curiosity and not to be a smart azz...But, why then, do you have 3 Red Dots?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
I think Fred mentioned it would be repaved before nats.
Fred announced that Tamiya JP has granted a budget $ for maintenance on the track. I believe "resealed" was the term he used. A small patch of the proposed sealer has been applied to test. I did not notice any issues with traction on that patch this weekend.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

oops my bad
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Tamiya cant possibly do away with silvercans, if they did, what would you guys bitch about?
I think Ive said it before, but why is anyone "building" a silver can motor
I will be the first to admit that there are 3 Red Dots in my possession presently, but all this stuff about tuning silvercans contradicts what that motor is about. And if you look at the guys that go really fast, there is way more to going fast in the silvercan classes than the motor itself. Eric Whippler is the prime example of this, to the best of my knowledge, he does not work any voodoo magic on his motors, but his chassis is so dialed its scary, insanely smooth drivetrain with lots of grip allows him to carry major speed through the corners. Just my buck and a quarter.
Ah yes, grasshopper. More power is always good. In the right hands, it's even better.

Sorry, but in my old age I'm easily confused. Tell me again why you bought a Red Dot. And then, why did you buy two more. I too have 3 Red Dots, but mine don't affect the handling of my car, the smoothness of my driving nor the freeness of my drive train. I got mine for the power and so did everyone else that I know who has one or more.

There's only one Eric Whippler. Don't know him, never saw him and only know of him. From what I've heard you give an accurate representation of The Legend. And I mean that most respectfully. However, I've also heard that he's one smart dude and it's hard to believe that, if needed, he couldn't find a little more power.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Porkibear
Thanks to the Tamiya crew for hosting a great TCS regionals! Also kudos to the extended Tamiya family whose committment to Tamiya racing allows us to enjoy fun and free racing at the Tamiya test track every weekend!

This past race weekend was a blast for me. Never had I seen GT2 times SO dang close! The top 10 qualifiers had fastest lap times within 0.8 seconds of each other! Unfortunately, I just didn't have enough speed to keep up with the front-runners...

Just wanted to ask ppl on this thread: how many of you reduced the amount of new tires used for the whole race weekend due to the economy? I personally decided not to use any "new" tires the whole weekend. Unfortunately, I think it cost me one or two places on the grid, but at least I saved a bunch of money that I can use towards prepping for nationals coming up!
can i watch that video of the GT1 B-main that Mike taped? the pass i made on you is the only positive that came from that run. everything else sucked.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Is Tamiya track open on the 4th?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

5-6 pumps of Gojo hand cleaner with pumice in an old peanut butter jar filled with water. Run @ 5v or on an old 4 cell reverse polarity. Submerge completely. Check the comm contact every 45-60 seconds, as this will eat soft brushes if you let it run unattended. Also busts the bushings pretty well too.

Spray it out with motor spray. It should be very easy to get the motor clean, I have no trouble with pumice in the motor afterwards.

To max out the motor's potential, you must start with a brand new motor. The grit in the hand cleaner will help to put additional timing into the motor, since running it backwards will cock the brushes in the opposite direction. The pumice wears the brushes enough that they will lock into position even when you run the motor forwards, and I think the extra brush drag helps to get extra cocking of the brush.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
5-6 pumps of Gojo hand cleaner with pumice in an old peanut butter jar filled with water. Run @ 5v or on an old 4 cell reverse polarity. Submerge completely. Check the comm contact every 45-60 seconds, as this will eat soft brushes if you let it run unattended. Also busts the bushings pretty well too.

Spray it out with motor spray. It should be very easy to get the motor clean, I have no trouble with pumice in the motor afterwards.

To max out the motor's potential, you must start with a brand new motor. The grit in the hand cleaner will help to put additional timing into the motor, since running it backwards will cock the brushes in the opposite direction. The pumice wears the brushes enough that they will lock into position even when you run the motor forwards, and I think the extra brush drag helps to get extra cocking of the brush.
submerging the motor completely also helps the bushings break in
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
ygpm
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
I think Fred mentioned it would be repaved before nats.
Oh yah, I'm coming back to RC just because of this!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
just be sure to take it out of your car 1st...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default Shameess promotion of the F104

Went over to the track today--the Powers That Be had the day off and agreed to open it for cleanup and a bit of practice. I got my GT2-spec TBO3 fixed and working a lot better, and brought out my newly-assembled F104 (bought Tuesday at Ultimate Hobbies, reasonably easy to assemble the chassis, I think it took longer to assemble the body). I only got in about 20 laps before the servo gave up; note to all, a micro servo with less than 20 oz. of torque and plastic gears is not enough, unlike on an F103.
The track will be open tomorrow, in case anybody wondered. Despite the heat, the traction is about as good as it was last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-f104-04.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-f104-01.jpg   Tamiya Championship Series-f104-03.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
Went over to the track today-- brought out my newly-assembled F104.
So what is the verdict? Is my F103 worth about the same as my F103GT now?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default rubber for 104 ?

Originally Posted by 240Z
So what is the verdict? Is my F103 worth about the same as my F103GT now?
Got to keep up with the Jones Tim

So whats the deal with rubber tires on these cars, is anyone making them yet ? I was able to get rear rubber from a 103 on a buddies 104 today, but the front tires were binding pretty bad... I am so close to getting one... they look soooooo nice...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Ah yes, grasshopper. More power is always good. In the right hands, it's even better.

Sorry, but in my old age I'm easily confused. Tell me again why you bought a Red Dot. And then, why did you buy two more. I too have 3 Red Dots, but mine don't affect the handling of my car, the smoothness of my driving nor the freeness of my drive train. I got mine for the power and so did everyone else that I know who has one or more.

There's only one Eric Whippler. Don't know him, never saw him and only know of him. From what I've heard you give an accurate representation of The Legend. And I mean that most respectfully. However, I've also heard that he's one smart dude and it's hard to believe that, if needed, he couldn't find a little more power.
I bought the Red Dots for the same reason you did, but I just think the whole business of tuning silvercans is a direct contradiction to the concept of the motor.
Why 3? 1 for F1, 1 for when I thought I was going to run GT3, and a backup.
Yes Whippler is very smart, and im not saying his motors were untouched, but after traveling with him to many TCS races, including the nats the year he won, I can tell you that the motor was not the center of his program. He has put together a mini chassis that to this day has people scratching their heads, and he is a damn good driver to boot. Not a love in, just giving credit where its due

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.