Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Great weekend except problems with my roomates exwfie stealing a buch of stuff from our house friday night wich I got about 1 hour of sleep and I did horrible i think i got fifth or sixth congrats to the top three in mini. I had problems getting my car to work all weekend. The MO5 is bad ass the 8 min main was cool and an in all it was a good weekend. The motor rule was great and the biggest news is that the track will be getting 2 coats of sluury seal before NATS
I'm going to get flamed for this, but the 13.5k motor limit was about the most incredibly stupid rule on the books...... Name the guys who can tune a 13.8k motor, which is what you need to do to meet the 13.5k rule as enforced. Not very many. When you have that situation, it get's very unfair and I apologize for contributing to that situation. It will not happen again, but I did prove a point. When two motor builders have 10 of the drivers in the A main in Mini, that sort of points out the ridiculousness of a 13.5 limit. I'm not saying it was just motors, but it does raise serious questions.

In defence of Chuck and myself, we were only doing what the rules allowed. I also urged the Race Director some time before the Regional to reconsider his raising the limit from 13k to 13.5k. It was pointed out to him at that time that 12.8k was a much better limit. If you're going to set a limit, set one that even if you can fudge, it won't make enough of a difference to matter.

Other than that, great weekend and many kudos to Tamiya and all those involved with putting it on. I am not ungrateful to Tamiya and only am making an effort to make the Series better. This crap with the 540J motors would be so easy to fix, if someone would only listen.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

need to buy my wife a faster camera body so she might stick around for more pics of other classes
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Granpa
I'm going to get flamed for this, but the 13.5k motor limit was about the most incredibly stupid rule on the books...... Name the guys who can tune a 13.8k motor, which is what you need to do to meet the 13.5k rule as enforced. Not very many. When you have that situation, it get's very unfair and I apologize for contributing to that situation. It will not happen again, but I did prove a point. When two motor builders have 10 of the drivers in the A main in Mini, that sort of points out the ridiculousness of a 13.5 limit. I'm not saying it was just motors, but it does raise serious questions.

In defence of Chuck and myself, we were only doing what the rules allowed. I also urged the Race Director some time before the Regional to reconsider his raising the limit from 13k to 13.5k. It was pointed out to him at that time that 12.8k was a much better limit. If you're going to set a limit, set one that even if you can fudge, it won't make enough of a difference to matter.

Other than that, great weekend and many kudos to Tamiya and all those involved with putting it on. I am not ungrateful to Tamiya and only am making an effort to make the Series better. This crap with the 540J motors would be so easy to fix, if someone would only listen.
Granpa,

I am assuming that this was not a hand out motor race and if so, how did they do the tech on the motors? Will the Nationals be a hand out motor event again this year?

I don't see why anyone would flame you. I agree that anything that can be done to remove the motor issues and make the playing field level would be supported by most of us.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Great weekend except problems with my roomates exwfie stealing a buch of stuff from our house friday night wich I got about 1 hour of sleep and I did horrible i think i got fifth or sixth congrats to the top three in mini. I had problems getting my car to work all weekend. The MO5 is bad ass the 8 min main was cool and an in all it was a good weekend. The motor rule was great and the biggest news is that the track will be getting 2 coats of sluury seal before NATS
Brandon, Brandon!!!

Thanks a lot, Pal. I put all my money on you and you let me down. More importantly, did you learn anything for the nationals and was there any M-05's in the race? If so, how did they do? I have mine on order.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I'm not sure what the answer is...earlier this month in Memphis the silver cans were open, no RPM limit, and there wasn't 1 issue...and the cars were fast! Then about a month earlier we ran 13.5k limit in Omaha and there was no real motor advantage (assuming everyone was playing nice) but the cars seemed to lack a little something...especially the minis...So I couldn't tell you whats the best thing to do. Any time you give an inch...you know the rest. Time for 17.5 in mini and 21.5 in GT3! With specific motor limits and no trick ESCs!
Originally Posted by Crashby
Granpa,

I am assuming that this was not a hand out motor race and if so, how did they do the tech on the motors? Will the Nationals be a hand out motor event again this year?

I don't see why anyone would flame you. I agree that anything that can be done to remove the motor issues and make the playing field level would be supported by most of us.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up One of the Best...

..Regionals that i've been to.

Nice change to see the 8min single A-main. Good to get outta there at a reasonable time. Less tires to purchase/burn.

Competition was fierce across the board.

Event went off without a hitch.

Good to see some new faces in the Spec class. They are our future.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Body I.D. Help

I talked to a few of the F-1 guys at TCS over the weekend about the F-1 bodies and what is what in terms of understanding what the letters mean. What specifically is Body type M, T, L, C etc? Can someone tell me what bodies have a low nose vs. a high nose? What seems to be the more aero body style?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 8 min main survey

8 min main survey
With the almost universal use of brushless motors and LiPo batteries, the 5 minute main could be a thing of the past. I believe this is the first time at a TCS event this past weekend. I was thinking it over and would like to know if anyone has an opinion on the 8 min heats.

Do you like the 8 min A main format?
Does it add anything to the racing experience, or detract from it?
Should two qualifiers be 8 min and two 5 min?
Should all races be 8 min?
Generally speaking, do you think an 8 min main would change the finishing order for the top three?
Would it reduce all tires to “one run only" and make it more expensive?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mark G.
I talked to a few of the F-1 guys at TCS over the weekend about the F-1 bodies and what is what in terms of understanding what the letters mean. What specifically is Body type M, T, L, C etc? Can someone tell me what bodies have a low nose vs. a high nose? What seems to be the more aero body style?

Thanks for your help.
Body Types are as follows:
1. C = Lotus107B Low nose
2. M = Mclaren I belive this body is considered the beginning of the high nose era.
3. T= Tyrell Low nose
4. L= ? Not sure....
Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

L-type is Ligier (very similar to Benneton when Schumi was here). This is actually the high nose...shark style if you will.

I'd say the C type would be the way to go (high downforce)...it seems the best from what I've seen....at least for the F103
Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya F1 bodies: a scoop

Originally Posted by 2CARTEAM
Body Types are as follows:
1. C = Lotus107B Low nose
2. M = Mclaren I belive this body is considered the beginning of the high nose era.
3. T= Tyrell Low nose
4. L= ? Not sure....
To add on...the "M-type" is the old McLaren MP4-13. Actually wasn't the first high-nose body Tamiya offered. The "T-type" is the former Tyrell 023, a better body, but both it and the "T-type" suffer from the issue of having lousy rear wings: too brittle and not enough downforce. The "L-type", which I notice Tamiya have already discontinued, is an old Ligier JS43, which was the carbon copy of the Benetton B195, both from the 1995 season. Good-looking bodies with their original decals, but again suffering from brittle rear wings that break off easy.
I am hoping that Tamiya might reissue an "F-type", that they used to sell with their own name decals; before that, they sold it as the Ferrari F310B, with accurate decals. It's a high-nose too, but one of the better ones, with a good and reasonably flexible rear wing.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tom Slick
To add on...the "M-type" is the old McLaren MP4-13. Actually wasn't the first high-nose body Tamiya offered. The "T-type" is the former Tyrell 023, a better body, but both it and the "T-type" suffer from the issue of having lousy rear wings: too brittle and not enough downforce. The "L-type", which I notice Tamiya have already discontinued, is an old Ligier JS43, which was the carbon copy of the Benetton B195, both from the 1995 season. Good-looking bodies with their original decals, but again suffering from brittle rear wings that break off easy.
I am hoping that Tamiya might reissue an "F-type", that they used to sell with their own name decals; before that, they sold it as the Ferrari F310B, with accurate decals. It's a high-nose too, but one of the better ones, with a good and reasonably flexible rear wing.
So do you think the F310B has more steering than the Lotus? How would you compare them to each other? Also what is your preference? I belive the M is also discontinued is it not. Thanks for the input.....
Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default More noise and vibration

Sir SwiftaLot: Sorry to hear about your prob on Sunday but am glad you got your stuff back. We missed you Sunday. Hope you're going to OCRC on Tuesday if you can: bring F1, I'm bringing two cars, different bodies, and a bit more power. And a shout-out to all the rest of you F1 fanatics, time to come run OCRC. It kicks pooter in F1.
Granpa: very astute comments. I think I agree that a lower, tighter rev limit for Johnson motors would help reduce the amount of monkeying people can do with them. Might make the newbies feel more competitive, which is what is needed to grow the sport. And thanks again for the motor help this weekend. You are the reason I did what I did in GT3 as well as F1.
My two centavos on the 8-minute main: it rocked. In GT3, it gave me time to make up for my mistakes (got knocked back to 11th after Lap 1). And it put pressure on all the runners to settle down and find a race pace. I think many motors got tired, but only saw one actually lie down and give up.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

5 min quals was good.. kept the days short... 8 min mains was AWESOME.

keep it going Fred!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
5 min quals was good.. kept the days short... 8 min mains was AWESOME.

keep it going Fred!
Exactamundo!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.