Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
We tried to run Brushless in Mini, but right now you can't get the gearing right due to the limits in the Mini drive train. Either the brushless motor is too fast for mini or way too slow. There is yet to be a motor that we think will work for the series. It may happen someday as new products come out.

In terms of F-1, I think we may go to brushless soon. I tried a F103 with a 17.5 with the stock gearing and it was just about as fast as a geared up Johnson/Mabuchi. I feared the torque of a brushless was going to be too much for F-1, but "NOT". Look to see F-1 adopt brushless as a seperate class soon in TCS.

FM
No different that running 17.5 1/12-scale really Fred. I for one though would prefer to keep it as a brushed class. I loved the fact that I had so much room on my chassis now thanks to micro ESC's and receivers. I don't want to deal with trying to cram a Brushless ESC and 18-million wires under an already cramped body...
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Parking lot racing with an F1 and a 17.5 might be scary.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
In terms of F-1, I think we may go to brushless soon. I tried a F103 with a 17.5 with the stock gearing and it was just about as fast as a geared up Johnson/Mabuchi. I feared the torque of a brushless was going to be too much for F-1, but "NOT". Look to see F-1 adopt brushless as a seperate class soon in TCS.

FM
17.5 F103 -> DREAM COME TRUE.

Jimmy
Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 on brushless, will buy F103, next year Super Rally, Off Road, GT3 JUST for that reason...nimh is already replaced by LIPO..brushless is not far behind.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

+1 BL motors
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another incredible wekend of racing at Trackside! Thanks Scottie, for making the Michigan crew feel at home at your facility. Some CLOSE racing this weekend. Eight minute GT-2 mains were eye-drying to say the least (esp. at my age!) one more lap, and Austin would've won the A3 main...that was way too close for comfort. What a great young crew of talent I saw this weekend. F1 guys were Sooooooooo fast! What the heck happened Marty? Remember when WE were the one's to beat! Don't worry, I'll be back next year with a nice new F-103 15th ann. edition.
Thanks Doc for ALL of your help. You are truly, the silver can meister!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Question for disher

Hey Dish if you see this i wanted to knowif you found my cell phone in the van. I think i droped it last night while unloading.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
We tried to run Brushless in Mini, but right now you can't get the gearing right due to the limits in the Mini drive train. Either the brushless motor is too fast for mini or way too slow. There is yet to be a motor that we think will work for the series. It may happen someday as new products come out.

FM
Fred:

Not sure why you feel the brushless won't work in a mini. At Trackside, with a 100' straight, Novak 17.5 was perfect - not too fast, not too slow, just right top end speed with the 20 tooth pinion - comparable to silver can speed wise.

F103 + brushless = perfect!

As a fellow racer said yesterday - it's 2009 - time to ditch the old technology of silver can - brushless is here to stay.

Rumors heard of a very near future Tamiya ESC/motor combo soon at under $100?? That sounds like a great TCS combo for all the silver can classes.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by g12314
17.5 F103 -> DREAM COME TRUE.

Jimmy
I second that dream!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

FM

Fred,
What is your idea about having Brushless power in GT3? Seeing that the tracks are going with RPM Rules this would make a little easier for some of us Non Silver Can Masters.
Dave
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DISH
Another incredible wekend of racing at Trackside! Thanks Scottie, for making the Michigan crew feel at home at your facility. Some CLOSE racing this weekend. Eight minute GT-2 mains were eye-drying to say the least (esp. at my age!) one more lap, and Austin would've won the A3 main...that was way too close for comfort. What a great young crew of talent I saw this weekend. F1 guys were Sooooooooo fast! What the heck happened Marty? Remember when WE were the one's to beat! Don't worry, I'll be back next year with a nice new F-103 15th ann. edition.
Thanks Doc for ALL of your help. You are truly, the silver can meister!
Always a pleasure to have the DISH join us at Trackside. Fellow "old" guy (I even had the eye drops in the pocket for the weekend - no joke!) who loves to race AND loves the point of the TCS series - perfect gentleman, remembers this is all for fun, remembers the full range of important vocabulary words ("sorry", "great pass", "don't worry about it"). Wish you could race with us all the time.

201 entries!!! New TCS record. Mini again the biggest class. Take that you CA guys, and we didn't have to race in the dark. Damn snowstorm in Denver prevented Fred from joining us - we missed you birthday boy!! Next time skip the layover - go Midwest Airlines LA to MKE and avoid Denver weather. Or AirTran San Diego - MKE nonstop.

Hey Fred - what's up with the seemingly "gold plated" F103 premount tires? Does Tamiya have former AIG execs charging fees to mount them up for ya?? $70 for a set of four tires? I realize that pricing is Japan corporate, but what on Earth are they thinking? Is Tamiya thinking of offering rebates and 0.9% financing for a set of tires - like automakers? Pricing like that takes a great reasonable cost class/chassis and threatens to FUBAR it. What foam is used for the premounts - HBR, something new?? Any other Tamiya foam + wheels + tape/glue = about half that cost.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Always a pleasure to have the DISH join us at Trackside. Fellow "old" guy (I even had the eye drops in the pocket for the weekend - no joke!) who loves to race AND loves the point of the TCS series - perfect gentleman, remembers this is all for fun, remembers the full range of important vocabulary words ("sorry", "great pass", "don't worry about it"). Wish you could race with us all the time.

201 entries!!! New TCS record. Mini again the biggest class. Take that you CA guys, and we didn't have to race in the dark. Damn snowstorm in Denver prevented Fred from joining us - we missed you birthday boy!! Next time skip the layover - go Midwest Airlines LA to MKE and avoid Denver weather. Or AirTran San Diego - MKE nonstop.

Hey Fred - what's up with the seemingly "gold plated" F103 premount tires? Does Tamiya have former AIG execs charging fees to mount them up for ya?? $70 for a set of four tires? I realize that pricing is Japan corporate, but what on Earth are they thinking? Is Tamiya thinking of offering rebates and 0.9% financing for a set of tires - like automakers? Pricing like that takes a great reasonable cost class/chassis and threatens to FUBAR it. What foam is used for the premounts - HBR, something new?? Any other Tamiya foam + wheels + tape/glue = about half that cost.
I would run the premounts if they were half the cost, cuz I hate mounting tires. But I will live through the hassle if they stay at $70/set
And I say bring on brushless in F1
I love the Red Dots, but brushless would just complete the perfect picture.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I second that dream!

My F103 kit was ordered today just with the mention of potential brushless motor utilization.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

+2,3 or however many on BL motors for F103. 17.5 or 21.5, either one. I sort of enjoyed trying to learn the little tips for breaking in the 540's but BL is totally the way to go.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

...loves the point of the TCS series - perfect gentleman, remembers this is all for fun, remembers the full range of important vocabulary words ("sorry", "great pass", "don't worry about it").
Good call to those few who can communicate to and encourage each other on the driver stand.

Thanks to everyone from Tamiya and Trackside to make this past weekend happen! I had alot of fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.