Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
F1 rules:
"Update 3/17/09: Front and Rear foam tires must cover the entire width of the wheel. No width trimming is allowed. "

The foams from the F103RM don't go all the way across the rim out of the package. Are these legal?

Ok, this rule isn't clear to me either. I am planning on running the RM kit tires.

The following can't all go together:
1) The RM kit tires don't cover the width of the wheel,
2) The initial F1 tire rule states "Any Tamiya foam F1 tire may be used."
3) The added rule states "Foam tires must cover the entire width of the wheel. No width trimming is allowed."

So I'm assuming the real rule is the "No width trimming" part of the new rule, not the "tires must cover the entire width of the wheel" part if the kit tires are still legal.
Right?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaceBucks

Ok, this rule isn't clear to me either. I am planning on running the RM kit tires.

The following can't all go together:
1) The RM kit tires don't cover the width of the wheel,
2) The initial F1 tire rule states "Any Tamiya foam F1 tire may be used."
3) The added rule states "Foam tires must cover the entire width of the wheel. No width trimming is allowed."

So I'm assuming the real rule is the "No width trimming" part of the new rule, not the "tires must cover the entire width of the wheel" part if the kit tires are still legal.
Right?
give it time.. they'll sort it out.. i think they add rules.. review them..then consolidate.

good luck to TCS racers traveling to Trackside.

someone tell Scotty "kumusta ka na?" for me.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TCS practice Friday at Trackside was yet another amazing demonstration of the talent that resides here in the Cheese State Area. The carpet in a great shape and traction is no problemo! LOTS of racers all day long- so many that the had to go to controlled practice for half of the day. The F103 class is superfast, even with the RPM limit rule. We're talking mid to low 11's, which is healthy GT1 territory. The Mini's chased each other (and the setup) all day as traction came up, but the fast guys were still plenty quick if they could avoid the dreaded Traction Roll. All in all, this promises to be yet another GREAT DAY OF RACING AT TRACKSIDE!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

And even though they pushed the race out a month, Mother Nature still promises to make a showing! I see they are under a winter storm warning for this evening. It wouldn't be Trackside without some SNOW!!!

Good luck guys! Sorry I couldn't make it this year.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Memphis in May ......... Ya'll come on down.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Trackside mains if your interested...

http://www.liverc.com/view_result_fi...ns_Listing.xml
Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Looks like some close racing on tap for today! Also good to see Katzer back behind the wheel in F1.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Looks like some close racing on tap for today! Also good to see Katzer back behind the wheel in F1.
Felt good too. Gotta give a tip of the hat to Nathan Weir. He and I had a fun race in the 3rd main and it was a hoot. You dun come a long way kid

Also gotta apologize again to Jimmy Steegan. I know he said it was his fault but I drilled him in the B of GT1. I should have given him more room and backed off but I totally plowed him. Jimmy you're a stand-up guy and I appreciate it.

Also gotta thank Doc Mertes for my motor tuning. All I gotta say is Red Dots...Ohhhh Yeah Baby!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Great Race,

I am too tired to post, so here are the results.

Thanks to all who attended

Thanks
Scotty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TAMIYA TCS 3 29 2009.pdf (265.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Motor limit... Ok now I'm in no hurry to spend any more on brushed motors . perhaps soon we will have a good and inexpensive brushless system that is totally untweekable. That would be the best thing to happen to Mini and F1 or spec. As long as it was less than $100 for the motor and speedo.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

We tried to run Brushless in Mini, but right now you can't get the gearing right due to the limits in the Mini drive train. Either the brushless motor is too fast for mini or way too slow. There is yet to be a motor that we think will work for the series. It may happen someday as new products come out.

In terms of F-1, I think we may go to brushless soon. I tried a F103 with a 17.5 with the stock gearing and it was just about as fast as a geared up Johnson/Mabuchi. I feared the torque of a brushless was going to be too much for F-1, but "NOT". Look to see F-1 adopt brushless as a seperate class soon in TCS.

FM
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

We tried running the 17.5 locally in our M-03s and found on all but the largest tracks the lap times were spot on to a good silver can. I would be 100% in for 17.5 mini!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
We tried to run Brushless in Mini, but right now you can't get the gearing right due to the limits in the Mini drive train. Either the brushless motor is too fast for mini or way too slow. There is yet to be a motor that we think will work for the series. It may happen someday as new products come out.

In terms of F-1, I think we may go to brushless soon. I tried a F103 with a 17.5 with the stock gearing and it was just about as fast as a geared up Johnson/Mabuchi. I feared the torque of a brushless was going to be too much for F-1, but "NOT". Look to see F-1 adopt brushless as a seperate class soon in TCS.

FM
Fred,
You were greatly missed this weekend, also, can you explain the reasoning behind the F1 foam rule, it terms of having to be full width, when there is a big variance right out of the package
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
We tried running the 17.5 locally in our M-03s and found on all but the largest tracks the lap times were spot on to a good silver can. I would be 100% in for 17.5 mini!
Well... I'm not exactly wanting to shove an $80 motor where I had a Red Dot and a Tamiya Kit Speedo. For instance the DF-03 kit I bought is going to be run exactly as it came. Ok, maybe CVD's but not a $500 electronics setup at all. The fact that I can use my old electronics in the F1 and Mini are just a bunus. But out of the spirit of competition so everyone had EXACTLY the same power.... If it could be not so expensive.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Scotty for another great event.

This was probably the best TCS event at Trackside in 14 years. Scotty was on top of the 201 entries, had no illusions of doing more than he could handle and even with major computing issues still managed to finish very close to on time. He told me on Sat he would hope to wave everyone good bye by 5pm on Sunday, I think everything finished around 5:30, which to me is on time.

It was great seeing the usual faces and even meeting some new ones.

The best part of the event was Scotty was on-top of the Johnson motor controversy and eliminated it! 13,500 was the limit, you were over, you were DQed for that round. The rest of the tracks and Tamiya need to take note and enforce this rule to keep the purity of the Johnson classes! I know after my round 2 GT3 run Scotty was contemplating calling my car to the dyno, I could see it in his eyes. I sorta hope he did, because I knew it was at 13k. Which is not bad for a $18 motor!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.