Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I have friends that might be willing to get involved with the Senior Spec Class even if they had to pay for a motor. If you look at the success of the Traxxas Slash class and all the box stock classes that have pop up, this may be a great time for a Senior Spec Class. If you ad in a brushless system your doubling the cost. I know the advantages of the brushless.

With the Senior Spec class is there and AARP division for guys like me?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I have friends that might be willing to get involved with the Senior Spec Class even if they had to pay for a motor. If you look at the success of the Traxxas Slash class and all the box stock classes that have pop up, this may be a great time for a Senior Spec Class. If you ad in a brushless system your doubling the cost. I know the advantages of the brushless.

With the Senior Spec class is there and AARP division for guys like me?
I agree with you about the initial cost concerns for the BL system, but I think you can get more involved with the 21.5 because you take all the silver can BS out of the equation. I don't think every track that might want to have this class is going to fork out the costs of Red Dot motors (or whom evever will tune them and maintain them). If you only have limited amounts of handout motors the class won't grow. If you leave it up to the honor system that no one will cheat with their own silver can "GOOD LUCK" we all know that won't work.

I just feel that for long term success the Novak 21.5 woul be the most successful.

For the slash motors you don't have the same issues as the Johnson Motors
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 PM
MD
Tech Champion

rccardr - Have the same question as f1 larry. Would the TT01e be legal for the Senior Spec Class as it is for the Tamiya Novice class? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
MD
Tech Champion

f1larry - You are correct about the advantages of a brushless system. I think in today's economy people are looking for less expensive options. I think the Senior Spec Class is a great idea and when Tamiya ships out their prizes to regional races they could also ship out red dots for this class. I think this is the kind of class people are looking for even if they had to pay for a motor. When you look at the economy and the cost of travel, I think limiting cost of this class would be great. I know you cannot compare the Slash motors. But, I am on vacation in Tucson and I've been racing at Competition Hobbies, which is a great facility. I have raced in the Slash class and there is more good fun, competition, and racing enjoyment than any class I've raced in except my local parking lot Mini class. I think that the Senior Spec could be similar. You may not have beating and banging of the Slash Class, but I think peoples' attitudes might be similar. I could be completely wrong, which would not be the first time, but it's worth a try. I'll shut up now
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
f1larry - You are correct about the advantages of a brushless system. I think in today's economy people are looking for less expensive options. I think the Senior Spec Class is a great idea and when Tamiya ships out their prizes to regional races they could also ship out red dots for this class. I think this is the kind of class people are looking for even if they had to pay for a motor. When you look at the economy and the cost of travel, I think limiting cost of this class would be great. I know you cannot compare the Slash motors. But, I am on vacation in Tucson and I've been racing at Competition Hobbies, which is a great facility. I have raced in the Slash class and there is more good fun, competition, and racing enjoyment than any class I've raced in except my local parking lot Mini class. I think that the Senior Spec could be similar. You may not have beating and banging of the Slash Class, but I think peoples' attitudes might be similar. I could be completely wrong, which would not be the first time, but it's worth a try. I'll shut up now

I totally agree with you on the economy thing. I there was a way ensure the equality of the silver cans in a cost effective way then I would have no issues. I guess one way would be that everyone can purchase a silver can motor and the track marks that motor with a control number and the motor then stays at the track but still remains the property of who bought the motor. That way the motors would stay under control and the track would not have to provide the motors for the class. On a club race day you show up and get your motor at the end of the day you turn it in to be stored until the next club race day. Once a motor goes home who knows what has been done with it.

For a TCS regional or Nationals it should be a handout.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default senior spec chassis

The tt01-e is legal for senior spec, although most racers keep the ta05 steering and shock towers from the tt01-e and use everything else from the tt01. It seems the more flexible motor mount and holder plastic in the tt01 (not the "e") equates to faster laps.

In terms of the tt01d, I don't think you can use the adjustable upper arms, or the droop screws in the lower arms. Everything else seems ok. Send a pm to rayk to make sure.

Senior spec is a lot of fun, and the biggest plus is the equal hand-out, free to use, red-dot motors. This really levels the playing field. If you had to sink another $200 into a $100 car, I think the class would lose some of its luster.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We know that Tamiya permits the adjustable arms from the D series car in Novice Spec, and so it's fine if someone shows up this weekend with one of those to run. Personally, I don't think it would enhance performance- the arms seems a little squinchy to me (yes, that's a technical term) in comparison to the standard kit arms, but perhaps the camber adjustability would be a plus. Who cares- at these speeds, it's all about the fun!

We didn't start this class with an eye towards making it a national deal- RayK and I got together, made up the rules, bankrolled the motors (we maintain them ourselves), and invested money in loaners, cheap kits and spares so that ANYONE who had an interest in the class could have a shot at the fun and get through the night if they broke.

And although I agree that a 21.5 BL would make a nice motor for the class, it does basically double the price of entry . Perhaps in the future when there are more used ones out there for cheap?

Meanwhile, you could do the same with any group/club that was willing to fork out the money for the motors and leave them at the track- it's not that big an investment. If you used box stock motors and different gearing- say 61/22- they would still be faster than Novice Spec but the motoros would last an entire season.

Nice thing about the Red Dot 15K's is that they are FAST but they LAST!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The other thing that's being glossed over is the fact that the motors on race day are a blind draw. No-one gets to run "their" motor. It equals out the field for everyone. So combine this with the spec gearing and you have in many ways a simpler class than if it were 21.5!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have never raced Senior spec, however I have watched it for many weeks now and the racing is never about power. The racing is always very close and almost always comes down to driver. The cars are slow enough that everyone can easily get a setup and not to mention the fast guys are always willing to give out their setups if you want it. All of the motors are equal and if someone complains about the fast guy having a faster motor all they do is swap out the motor for another blind draw, and guess what? that guy is still just as fast around the track.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks to Ray K and Doc, I have been running the Senior Spec Class at the Colliseium since last October. I have enjoyed every race. As others have stated, the racing is close the performance is pretty equal and we are all typically on the driver's stand laughing our heads off.

With the exception of a couple years layoff, I have been racing since the mid 1990's. I have spent more money than I care to remember on high dollar chassis, but I have never had as much fun as I do weekly racing a "lowly" TT-01.

Doc and or Ray K faithfully show up week after week with freshly cleaned up motors for all the guys that come out (up to 20) at no cost to any of us. They even provided the prizes for the first point series.

BTW, some of us tried the TT-01e, but ended up converting back to the standard car as there didn't seem to be any performance gains.

Oh, and that should say Se˜nior Spec Class.

Last edited by Geppetto; 03-11-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just a quick note. The Coliseum is an odorless traction compound track. No scented additives are allowed to be used inside the building.

Thanks,
Casey
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
MD
Tech Champion

The more i hear about this class the more I like it. I hope it goes well in Maryland. Some friends and I are talking about starting a class in our local parking lot series this summer. I hope it becomes part of the TCS.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by MD
The more i hear about this class the more I like it. I hope it goes well in Maryland. Some friends and I are talking about starting a class in our local parking lot series this summer. I hope it becomes part of the TCS.
Hey MD and F1larry, Thanks for your interest and comments with spec racing.

As far as the hop-ups allowed don't get crazy, it starts to waterfall. we started with the hop-up that I listed earlier , and didn't change or add to it . If you add a hop-up ,then the next guy wants to add a hop-up . Fact , the fast lap at are track was set with a base model TT-01 with only bearings added, no other hop-ups.

The low cost and the handout motor is what got us off the ground. Also having loaner cars for people to try out ,was a good kick to.

The cost of the 20 motors , 3 loaner cars and having a couple of new kits forsale, for new racing on hand was a fair investment. Luck have it, it worked for us and the class has had good success!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ray k
........ The low cost and the handout motor is what got us off the ground. Also having loaner cars for people to try out ,was a good kick to.

The cost of the 20 motors , 3 loaner cars and having a couple of new kits forsale, for new racing on hand was a fair investment. Luck have it, it worked for us and the class has had good success!!!!!!

Hey Ray, I'm just fishin here, but do you have a loaner TT-01 available? Looking for another senior (over 50) spec driver? Let me know- see you all tomorrow.

bruce
Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Anybody know if the lipo battery list will be updated, or is it final? There are a lot of new batteries out there, just wondering. Thanks
Changing the topic doesn't work huh...?

BTW...I love this thread, great stuff to get me away from killing my client...

BTW...TEAM HURRICANE lipo should be LEGAL...(because I am using one, it better be..)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.