Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM
  #10486  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (47)
 
Ray k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,018
Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default

To all , the trashy novel has come to an end !!!!!!!!

It seems Bill and I has a misunderstanding about the statement of the silver mini in question. Long story short, we pitted together today and laughed are butts off about how stupid this got on the thread. I apologize for the uprising
on the thread and Bill feels the same . He will also chime in with agreement when he gets a chance.

As for Mr.Stevens ,I know you,Todd and Bill are good friend and have raced together for many years . I also have done the same . I again apologize ,I know that you were angered with this incident. All is well in the East!!!

Back to racing , The "C" was on fire tonight . The hickman's were in the house cranking up GT3 , Austin Vacek and Randy B heating some tires up in GT1 and full heat of mini's getting dialed in .

TCS ,one week away in frederick ,Maryland.
Ray k is offline  
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
  #10487  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

This is what happens when there is such a long break between TCS races!
ittjv is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 AM
  #10488  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
If the sarcasm was directed my way, I believe all I did was ask a simple question. If your name is Doc too, all the response needed was a simple yes or no.
Originally Posted by rccardr
Bob, that's just St. Amant being St. Amant. He sometimes travels...unusual intellectual pathways in his eternal quest for truth. That aside, all good. John may be an acquired taste, but he means no harm.
Naw... I'm not rippin' anyone. I'm a musician too and always thinking how other things otherwise not R/C related can be used for R/C. What are you a drummer!? All in good fun. Right?
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  #10489  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West of Crook County Illinois
Posts: 1,979
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki
A-ko is a past champ?
(insert smiley face shaking left to right then right to left, etc...)
A-Ko is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 03:54 PM
  #10490  
Tech Master
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 1,660
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

GROUP HUG!!!

Let's go racing!!!!

minimadman2003 is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
  #10491  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (42)
 
subaru73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Auburn
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default tcs

anybody looking for tires?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...iya-tires.html
subaru73 is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
  #10492  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Naw... I'm not rippin' anyone. I'm a musician too and always thinking how other things otherwise not R/C related can be used for R/C. What are you a drummer!? All in good fun. Right?
Nah, clarinet. Wanted to be the Asian Benny Goodman or Buddy DeFranco. Settled for being a mediocre Mini pilot.
Granpa is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
  #10493  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (3)
 
RCGaryK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 7,331
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
For all you F1 heads out there,

-- Would it be okay to cut a hole above the helmet (realistic location and shape) and also vent slots near the motor to provide more cooling?

I know the general rule say no holes in the body. But I think these rules were geared to the sedan and mini bodies at the time. The Tamiya M body sits right on the motor leaving nowhere for air to escape. The existing rule would lead to tricks where the body is bent up, cut, or ingenious fans installed.

At Fastcats where F1 is very popular, there is little bickering with the rules and the goal is to have realistic interpretation along with functional venting. It makes a fun and exciting format where the F1 racers self police the authenticity of the RC F1 racing.
We used to do that and it was ok Back in the day. I am finishing resurrecting my F-103 now and my old body has that inlet open.

Originally Posted by robk
Anybody know if the lipo battery list will be updated, or is it final? There are a lot of new batteries out there, just wondering. Thanks
According to a conversation I had with Fred a week or so ago if It's ROAR Approved it's TCS Approved. He mentioned he's had a hard time keeping up just because there seems to be a new LiPo every week to consider.

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Do yourself a favor and worry about what you are doing.
I do remember a past nationals where you had to change tires because of certain vent-holes in the wheels almost missing a heat.
Something that was clearly in the rules... whooops....!
Actually that was MY car that he was PBing for me. It was MY mistake. I had pre-purchased wheels and tires BEFORE that rule was made and was just trying to use up wheels. The long and short of it was that I was allowed to run that heat, Marty and the gang just needed to put some tape over the wheel holes, which Fred approved. Nice brick throwing, just tossed it at the wrong house...


Originally Posted by Hebiki
A-ko is a past champ?
No, but the head-on collision with Mark Rodney will never be forgotten
RCGaryK is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
  #10494  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
SirSwiftAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SOCAL the fastest mini cooper guys in the nation
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Roll Call:
Brandon Koslosky
Mini & F1

Last edited by SirSwiftAlot; 03-08-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: l;jksg
SirSwiftAlot is offline  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
  #10495  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
Nah, clarinet. Wanted to be the Asian Benny Goodman or Buddy DeFranco. Settled for being a mediocre Mini pilot.
I hear ya man.. Trumpet , Baritone , French Horn....
turned r/c nut
John St.Amant is offline  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
  #10496  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
It could be the right part number just tuned over the limit. When you say the motor itself is illegal, I would take that to mean it is one of the alternative winds. Tuning doesnt make it illegal per say, if all the individual components are to spec, then in my mind it is not illegal. You walk a fine line when you start imposing RPM limits. There should be a bit of freedom to make good power, as long as the motor and its components meet the specs for that part #
I agree it was tuned over the limit, and it was done knowingly. When someone has to intentionally "peddle" a GT-3 car at the end of the Tamiya straight trying not to be too obvious, well, they did not do a good enough job and got caught.

Since the TCS rules do not specifically say you can not advance the timing by unzapping and rezapping the magnets, I must agree that my term "illegal" is incorrect and that the proper phrase should have been "over tuned". Funny how people are pulling 17-20K RPM at 5.0 volts with these "massaged" silver cans when the brand new motors used for the Nats were about 11K max.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
  #10497  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Doc
You're being called out on this one....


I don't, as a rule, stand up for my brother - but the motor you're talking about here was completely legal, except for the rpm limit. I have no argument against the fact that he should not have run that motor b/c of the imposed 5V-15K limit. That was a mistake on his part and he knows it. However, I do take issue with your supposition that it was altered in any way. It is an established fact that rpm variance occurs in any large sample of electric DC motors. Magnets can be soft or strong -- brush arms can advance or retard timing as brushes wear -- machine wound armatures can be wound loose or tight. Isn't this why all handout motors at the nationals were tested? -- to weed out those that are "too fast" or "too slow"?

Your method of argument is a classic example of tabloid-style accusation. You distract attention from yourself and feign concern over the subject with direct, personal accusations -- and then you attempt to confirm the hyperbole with nebulous, smoke-and-mirror "insider-elite" info. I have to say that your comparisons to NASCAR, etc are, well -- hilarious. Aren't they racing for millions in sponsorships and winnings?? Is this what you think we're doing in parking lots?? There is unfortunately, a need for this style of writing in magazines that one can purchase in the checkout aisle at any supermarket. There is absolutely no need for it here.

To prove your argument and to put the matter to rest, please have Deven post with you on this forum, all of his findings with respect to the illegality of the motor. Tell us what you know in detail regarding the illegal magnets, the wire and windings, the "jig", the timing. I know nothing of these, but I can tell you I am very interested, as are the rest of your readers. This "insider-elite" info should be made available to all. I want a motor just like that one, especially if, as you confidently assert, it can easily pass tech inspection. It is time now for me to put in my order for a Red-Dot.





bruce








ps- banana has one n.
The rules were set at 15K at 5.0 volts. So, how many RPM's did the silver cans turn at the Tamiya Nationals ? Yes people will do eveything they can to win, even in parking lots. That is what it was that much better that Tony and his 11K silver can was able to outdrive you and your brother at last years Aliso regional even with your 15K RPM motors. Oh, I forgot, you had to let the motor in the A1 main "cool down" to get back under the 15K limit because it was over when tested right after the race. I guess driving does make a difference when motor advatages are taken out of the equation and why someone won the '08 Nationals and went to Japan and someone else battled in the B main at the finals.

As for these variances that suddenly find 17-20K motors, I wonder why the motors that were tested at the nationals were all within about 300rpm, and no where near even 15K.

As for my Nascar comparision, you missed the point. The similarity, people will push the limit of the rules to get a competitive edge and even go over it until they get caught. Whether it milions in corporate sponsorship on the line or bowling trophies with toy cars.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
  #10498  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

any word on the rescheduled TCS event? i dont know if i can wait until June to run TCS! i might start more arguments on here.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
  #10499  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
SirSwiftAlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SOCAL the fastest mini cooper guys in the nation
Posts: 862
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Screw that Chris lets argue about arguing
SirSwiftAlot is offline  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
  #10500  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond,Va
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
We used to do that and it was ok Back in the day. I am finishing resurrecting my F-103 now and my old body has that inlet open.



According to a conversation I had with Fred a week or so ago if It's ROAR Approved it's TCS Approved. He mentioned he's had a hard time keeping up just because there seems to be a new LiPo every week to consider.



Actually that was MY car that he was PBing for me. It was MY mistake. I had pre-purchased wheels and tires BEFORE that rule was made and was just trying to use up wheels. The long and short of it was that I was allowed to run that heat, Marty and the gang just needed to put some tape over the wheel holes, which Fred approved. Nice brick throwing, just tossed it at the wrong house...


No, but the head-on collision with Mark Rodney will never be forgotten
Mr. Katzer,
I believe I remember seeing a Corvette on the Pole getting the whole shot @ a TCS National Race? and going into the fast LH sweeper and all 4 Rubber tires coming off the rims at the same time and passing the Corvette in the sweeper? Do you remember that?? I truly felt very sad for you!
When we will we see your presence at a TCS Race?
Steve.
hickmeister is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.