Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Wha? You mounted a fan for weight? So you didn't have any lead weight in your box or pennies in your pocket? Yeah, sure.........That's why I did it too!

Tell the truth.....You mounted a fan to look COOL.
My car need a few grams back there . So I added a heat sink and a fan.
If I have to add weight ... It might as wwell be functional.
And yes..I added over 2.5 oz. sorry, 70 grams to it. Mostly centered. and some slugs in the battery slots too.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
My car need a few grams back there . So I added a heat sink and a fan.
If I have to add weight ... It might as wwell be functional.
And yes..I added over 2.5 oz. sorry, 70 grams to it. Mostly centered. and some slugs in the battery slots too.
hey john, are you coming out to Tamiya in August for nationals?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hebiki
hey john, are you coming out to Tamiya in August for nationals?
I'd love to..
But as of now all I can say is I will be at Trackside in March.
Where are the Nats?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Drop me a PM...i think we can work something out.
Originally Posted by minimadman2003
You looking for the kit version (51335), or the new lightweight one (84064)? I may have one out of a kit I'd be willing to part with for a new paint job on another body.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I'd love to..
But as of now all I can say is I will be at Trackside in March.
Where are the Nats?
It'll be at the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo, CA. Good times.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
It'll be at the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo, CA. Good times.
2500 miles away .. man thats a haul. I wish It were that simple.
All the Tamiya races are a great time from what ive heard. Ive only attended one. On my way to a second time. God willing.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AaronR
Can we get some clarity on wheels for the off-road class? I see that any tire and insert is allowed with no extra vent holes added and that is no problem. From what I know, all 4WD 1/10 scale front and rear wheels are made to the same spec, so are Tamiya DB01/TRF501X wheels absolutely necessary? I ask because a friend purchased my old 501X yesterday and plans to run TCS at Trackside in late March. All we had at Trackside for 4WD front wheels were from Losi (which Tamiya mimicked when designing the 501X), and he was able to buy Tamiya rear wheels. So, Losi front 4WD wheels... acceptable?

I can't imagine off-road turnout to be crazy (last year we had 5 or 6 at Trackside), but I know of 3 of us running 501Xs, and hate to have someone disqualified and not be able to run because of this. Thanks for the help.
Help? CarKing? Should I send this in an email to TamiyaUSA?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AaronR
Help? CarKing? Should I send this in an email to TamiyaUSA?
Yes, send in an e-mail to Tamiya. Car King has been out sick recently from work so he will be away from this thread for a little while. I would suggest sending to attention of Gary Demory or Fred Medel at Tamiya.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default bring the RS-540 SPORT TUNED BACK

Is it true , we can run the RS-540 sport tuned Black can motor 18.00 or do we need to buy a 45.00 540 J silver can motor ?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by v6racer
Is it true , we can run the RS-540 sport tuned Black can motor 18.00 or do we need to buy a 45.00 540 J silver can motor ?
That wouldn't solve any problems. The Sport tuned motor can be broken in just like the silver can can,,, And yes Zosha,,, it would be faster!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

QUOTE=v6racer;5486223]Is it true , we can run the RS-540 sport tuned Black can motor 18.00 or do we need to buy a 45.00 540 J silver can motor ?[/QUOTE]

Black cans are not legal for any TCS class, unless they use them as handouts at the nats. A new in the box silver can goes for $15-$20. The $45 silver cans that we are talking about are Red Dots tuned by world famous Doc Mertes. But you dont have to run one, stock silver cans are perfectly adequate:sne aky:
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is it true , we can run the RS-540 sport tuned Black can motor
No. No, it is not.

...or do we need to buy a 45.00 540 J silver can motor?
No. No, you do not.

Your third option is to Man Up and run Senior Spec with the rest of us- that way you get a free motor to use and they're all the same. Driving skill rules the day!

Despite your continued inability to let this topic go even though it has been answered multiple times by many people, you do bring up an interesting point. As I recall, you participated in an experiment over a year ago, where the Mini class was allowed to run either a silver can or a black can motor. And in the end the silver cans ruled, plus they didn't burn up like the black cans did.

Remember the Bad Old Days? That's when a handful of guys would show up at the track with silver cans that were so fast they glowed in the dark. Motor performance was a true differentiator. Unless you knew someone who knew someone who had the hoodoo voodoo to make them faster, there was no way you could keep up. Red Dot motors changed all that. Now EVERYONE knows someone with the voodoo magic and has access to consistent, reliable silver can performance. And the guys who used to have the secret speed (including both you and me) don't have that performance edge any longer.

Here's the real deal: limiting silver can motor performance only has value when tied to an equivalent FDR rule- especially in the sedan classes. Go to something like a 5.5 FDR rule AND a 13 or 13.5K RPM limit, and I'll support it because 1) it makes the cars all pretty much the same speed, 2) like Senior Spec, it all comes down to driving and setup skill, and 3) the motors will last forever.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr

Here's the real deal: limiting silver can motor performance only has value when tied to an equivalent FDR rule- especially in the sedan classes. Go to something like a 5.5 FDR rule AND a 13 or 13.5K RPM limit, and I'll support it because 1) it makes the cars all pretty much the same speed, 2) like Senior Spec, it all comes down to driving and setup skill, and 3) the motors will last forever.

MINI COOPER ?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

From an intellectual standpoint, yes. But teching the Mini class is much more difficult, primarily due to the enclosed gearbox (hidden magnets? extra cells? what's REALLY the size of that pinion? custom white colored gearsets? I actually saw one guy who had a custom internal BELT DRIVE systems in his!). So I would be less enthusiastic about that unless comprehensive rules compliance could be assured (and no, doing it like at the '08 Nats is neither practical for other tracks nor a complete assurance of adherence).
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
MINI COOPER ?
rpm limit...
doesnt make any sence to me .
isnt it all about the roll out?
more r's , less gear.
fact is, without knowing the total output of any motor (under load)
a motor might spin up nice but it could be a DOG!
forgive the broken thought there but its a silver can and if someone is jacking aroung the timing then i think it would be obvious ... dont you ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.