Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by izzyracer
Thank ********* its cancelled cause im not ready to run... not like ill ever be ready anyway.

COD5 PS3 this weekend!
So am I! I not even close to being ready!

No time to practice, change in management at work.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow, I take a season off of TCS and things all go to hell Couple points here:

If the rules aren't going to allow someone to re-wire their ESC to solder the fan leads onto it than frankly they shouldn't be allowed to alter the ESC's at all in ANY class...since this is all about "safety". Seriously, have people been blowing stuff up by mis-wiring a fan? This just seems like a rule without a problem to solve and has simply created more issues and complaining than this rule solved. Perhaps it would have just been better to limit the fan wiring in the Spec class as that's where the beginner and less-experienced drivers are anyways. I have seen many more beginners blow up an ESC due to mis-wiring a connector (converting to Deans for example) than I have ever seen blow due to wiring a fan to the ESC Terminals. Perhaps a lot of it is because the beginners don't even think about something like that is even possible. Something to examine for the 2010 season perhaps...

The 17.5 rule for GT2.... What if you have one of the older Novak 17.5's with the black timing ring? I ran this motor at the 2008 ROAR Nats and it still has the ROAR inspection marks and certification on it. Would this motor be legal?

Speaking of GT2, I know it's an IFS class for this year. Has anyone converted a std 05 to an IFS? If so what parts are all needed? I am looking at it and it appears that (besides turnbuckles, Ballstuds, and misc hardware) it appears that all you need to convert it is the TAM53992 and TAM53991, plus a body of course. Is there anything else needed?

They way the rules currently read LiPos are not legal in GT3. As it states:
f. Hard Cased LIPO batteries are legal for the following classes: F1, GT-1, GT-2, MINI and 4WD-Off-Road.
I assume this is just an accidental omission?

Are we to the point where we can just say that any ROAR-approved LiPo battery can be run? I understand how much of a pain it can be to update the site anytime a new manufacturer brings a new LiPo to market, but I notice two key omissions here too (Losi and Thunder Power)

General Rule 14 RE Tire Warmers- Can they be removed from the car pre-tech and placed on the car while staging?

General Rule 15 RE Ice on the Motor- Does this mean that you cannot use a motor "super cooler" such as the Crazy Ronnie or Much Moore motor coolers? These can form frost and "ice" on the motor and motor plate.

Ok, been a long off-season for me, putting the soap box away
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Speaking of GT2, I know it's an IFS class for this year. Has anyone converted a std 05 to an IFS? If so what parts are all needed? I am looking at it and it appears that (besides turnbuckles, Ballstuds, and misc hardware) it appears that all you need to convert it is the TAM53992 and TAM53991, plus a body of course. Is there anything else needed?
IFS Conversion
Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Sweet, thanks man

1 other question. It looks like the only difference between the standard car's upper bulkhead and the IFS one is the mounting holes for the shock tower. Has anyone tried to use the STD bulkhead with the IFS car? Is there enough clearance under the body?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet, thanks man

1 other question. It looks like the only difference between the standard car's upper bulkhead and the IFS one is the mounting holes for the shock tower. Has anyone tried to use the STD bulkhead with the IFS car? Is there enough clearance under the body?
I have my IFS-R and my 05R side-by-side right here and with the NSX '07 body on the IFS-R (which I think is the most slammed IFS body) and it looks like there would be more than enough clearance.

EDIT: Moot point -- when you get the N Parts which you need for the other parts you'll get the IFS bulkhead with it.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Tech Lord

Wow, I take a season off of TCS and things all go to hell Couple points here:

If the rules aren't going to allow someone to re-wire their ESC to solder the fan leads onto it than frankly they shouldn't be allowed to alter the ESC's at all in ANY class...since this is all about "safety". Seriously, have people been blowing stuff up by mis-wiring a fan? This just seems like a rule without a problem to solve and has simply created more issues and complaining than this rule solved. Perhaps it would have just been better to limit the fan wiring in the Spec class as that's where the beginner and less-experienced drivers are anyways. I have seen many more beginners blow up an ESC due to mis-wiring a connector (converting to Deans for example) than I have ever seen blow due to wiring a fan to the ESC Terminals. Perhaps a lot of it is because the beginners don't even think about something like that is even possible. Something to examine for the 2010 season perhaps...

The 17.5 rule for GT2.... What if you have one of the older Novak 17.5's with the black timing ring? I ran this motor at the 2008 ROAR Nats and it still has the ROAR inspection marks and certification on it. Would this motor be legal?

They way the rules currently read LiPos are not legal in GT3. As it states:
f. Hard Cased LIPO batteries are legal for the following classes: F1, GT-1, GT-2, MINI and 4WD-Off-Road.
I assume this is just an accidental omission?

Are we to the point where we can just say that any ROAR-approved LiPo battery can be run? I understand how much of a pain it can be to update the site anytime a new manufacturer brings a new LiPo to market, but I notice two key omissions here too (Losi and Thunder Power)

General Rule 14 RE Tire Warmers- Can they be removed from the car pre-tech and placed on the car while staging?

General Rule 15 RE Ice on the Motor- Does this mean that you cannot use a motor "super cooler" such as the Crazy Ronnie or Much Moore motor coolers? These can form frost and "ice" on the motor and motor plate.

Ok, been a long off-season for me, putting the soap box away
welcome back mayo.

Tire warmers at nats last year was NOT allowed in the tech area. they had to be off.

Ice on the motor: i think this was during running/going through tech. you can use the motor coolers in the pit still.

Lipo: i would think its safe to say ANY roar approved. it is a pain to update the site since there are so many lipos out there now.

GT3 Lipo: Omission

the other stuff you asked.. dont know the answer someone else will chime in.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Im sure the shotguns will come out for this one, but here goes nothin'
All of this talk about wiring fans leaves out one point, if you gear your car properly so the motor stays at a reasonable operating temp, then you dont need a fan, problem solved&
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
All of this talk about wiring fans leaves out one point, if you gear your car properly so the motor stays at a reasonable operating temp, then you dont need a fan, problem solved&
Hes right... Putting a fan on where its not needed .. Like on the speedo for a 13.5 please! As for the motor..... if u got it geared that high .... whatever.
I only added a fan cause my car was light. not cause I wanted to gear up// Thats not what its for.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Yep, that would nip it in the bud.

No fans of any type whatsoever allowed -- no more wiring issues and equalize things a bit more...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

I've got a brand-new TCS-legal Novak 17.5 for sale if anyone needs one:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post5469382
Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No fans of any type whatsoever allowed -- no more wiring issues and equalize things a bit more...
That would eliminate the issue that only really effects 1 class.
Only allow esc's that are sold with fans.

Are we to the point where we can just say that any ROAR-approved LiPo battery can be run?
Tamiya Fred has explained it as anything 5000 and below in an Team Orion type hard case. If you have a battery interest, when in doubt, call Fred. Which is what I did with my latest lipo purchase.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, that would nip it in the bud.

I dont think the issue here is a fan on a brushless speedcontrol, I just got the KO BMC, which does not come with a fan, but one is available for it, which I bought. It also has a port to plug said fan into it. The issue at hand is the use of a fan to cool the motor. Tamiya has solved part of the problem by limiting motor fans to 1. I for one found it ridiculous that someone would hang 2 or 3 fans off the motor in order to overgear it. IMO there is an ideal operating temp for the motor. If everyone works to that ideal, everone will be geared within a couple teeth of each other and you will have closer racing. At that point, the advantage is in chassis setup and driving which is what the whole deal was about in the first place. We went to brushless for a few reasons, to take the voodoo tuning magic out of the equation, to stabilize the costs, and to make for better racing. I think we as racers need to look at those reasons and think about what we are doing. Just my $.25

Last edited by BP SHADOW; 02-23-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I only added a fan cause my car was light. not cause I wanted to gear up// Thats not what its for.
Wha? You mounted a fan for weight? So you didn't have any lead weight in your box or pennies in your pocket? Yeah, sure.........That's why I did it too!

Tell the truth.....You mounted a fan to look COOL.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Anyone have any Cooper S 2006 Body sets (new) they are looking to sell?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Anyone have any Cooper S 2006 Body sets (new) they are looking to sell?
You looking for the kit version (51335), or the new lightweight one (84064)? I may have one out of a kit I'd be willing to part with for a new paint job on another body.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.