Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree839Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

"In other words a lot of eyes are watching what's going on in the pits,ie. no profanity,smoking, open toed shoes, spec. tires, rims, batteries, bodies, cheating, etc. etc."

Looks like you're out, Swifty!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
We DON'T make racers charge their Lipos in a Lipo sack.

How could I have been so blind???!!!???
Hey doc if you goto Trackside... don't forget your sack, be sure to remove your lunch 1st before charging....
Last year FEI (for everyones information) it was required by Scotty!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
"In other words a lot of eyes are watching what's going on in the pits,ie. no profanity,smoking, open toed shoes, spec. tires, rims, batteries, bodies, cheating, etc. etc."

Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Hey Kevin,
Are you going to Tamiya tomorrow? Should be a nice day!!
what time are you guys opening? i have some testing to do on a new car.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am sure I will get flamed for this post but I am going to post it anyway.

Whenever I read this thread and see all the B...ing about this rule and that rule and why are they doing this and that I ask myself why Tamiya keeps putting up with all the BS about the TCS races. Maybe Tamiya should just not have any rules at all, OH WAIT THAT WOULD MEAN THERE WOULD BE NO TCS RACES.

I think many people forget that Tamiya puts this series on and awards awesome prizes for everyone at NO COST to enter the races. Its there series and they can put in what ever rules they want. If you don't like them or you don't want to spend the money to be competitive then don't race in the TCS.

I go every year with my son to have fun racing and hanging out with fellow racers you don't get to see very often. We have a limited budget so do we expect to win, no we try to be as competitve as we can with what we have to work with, and that is what I think the TCS is all about.

So everyone needs to take a step back and Appreciate what Tamiya, Fred, and everyone else at Tamiya are doing for our benefit and the benefit of the hobby. Times are tough right now and Tamiya is still putting a ton of effort into this series to keep it going.

So again I say thank you to Tamiya and Fred for a great series.

See everyone at Trackside in March.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by f1larry

Whenever I read this thread and see all the B...ing about this rule and that rule and why are they doing this and that I ask myself why Tamiya keeps putting up with all the BS about the TCS races. Maybe Tamiya should just not have any rules at all, OH WAIT THAT WOULD MEAN THERE WOULD BE NO TCS RACES.

I think many people forget that Tamiya puts this series on and awards awesome prizes for everyone at NO COST to enter the races. Its there series and they can put in what ever rules they want. If you don't like them or you don't want to spend the money to be competitive then don't race in the TCS.

I go every year with my son to have fun racing and hanging out with fellow racers you don't get to see very often. We have a limited budget so do we expect to win, no we try to be as competitve as we can with what we have to work with, and that is what I think the TCS is all about.

So everyone needs to take a step back and Appreciate what Tamiya, Fred, and everyone else at Tamiya are doing for our benefit and the benefit of the hobby. Times are tough right now and Tamiya is still putting a ton of effort into this series to keep it going.

So again I say thank you to Tamiya and Fred for a great series.

See everyone at Trackside in March.
:flam ing:

Well, you asked for it!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Well, you asked for it!

My first TCS race was at Scotties and I can't wait to go again! Great fun.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Aha. Now I understand.

We DON'T insist that racers insulate both wires on their power plugs.
We DON'T make racers charge their Lipos in a Lipo sack.
In fact, we DON'T even check to see if they are using a Lipo charger to charge their Lipo cells.
We DON'T tech the gloppy soldering jobs that cause battery plugs to heat up and/or melt.
We DON'T get worried when the occasional 4200 cell blows off in the pits because somebody's a 'chargin at 15 amps.
We DON'T expect racers to neatly bundle, tie-wrap and secure their general wiring.
But we DO insist that racers plug their fans into the puny 5-volt sockets in their receivers because...IT'S SAFER!!!

How could I have been so blind???!!!???
If you would like to discuss this further, PM me and we can go from there. I do appreciate you and your concerns of our rules.

Sadly we only have so much staffing availible to us so we do what we can. I am sorry that this rule has made it difficult for you, but we are doing what we feel is best for the series and our racers. I understand you might not agree and that is perfectly fine as we never expected everyone to agree with everything we do. If you feel that strongly about it though, you are under no obligation to run. While we would enjoy having a die hard Tamiya person like yourself there, we understand that if you are not happy with aspects of the series, it won't be as much fun for you and we really want you to have fun racing our series with other people who do as well.

We do worry when batteries explode, but sadly we cannot run around checking everyone's battery charging voltage all day long. We do not require lipo sacks, but do what we can by checking the lipo voltage before a car heads onto the track. This minimizes the chance a battery is being charged improperly whether it be at the wrong setting, the wrong charger, or some high amperage.

I am sorry that you disagree strongly with the rule about how you have to wire a secondary fan, and again if you would like to discuss it further, you can PM me. We appreciate any feedback we get, but please understand that we have taken the time to make sure we are doing the best we can with our rules to make a fun and safe series.

If anyone has any other questions regarding rules or the series, please e-mail Tamiya Customer Service for further information.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
TCS races are not a ROAR sanctioned race so that means that Fred has to set a standard regardless of it being a saftey issue of ease of inspection for racing. There are racers that will be upset about one rule or the other and you can't please everybody, although Fred has tried his best to get input from a lot of racers to make it a better sport.
A lot of young novice racers run TCS for the first time and usually come with family and friends. In other words a lot of eyes are watching what's going on in the pits,ie. no profanity,smoking, open toed shoes, spec. tires, rims, batteries, bodies, cheating, etc. etc.
I think spectators watching the race will leave thinking that this is great hobby and they would want to come back and watch or participate. This can only help the sport grow!
I believe Fred has the authority to set standards for his races. Nobody is forced to race TCS ,so if someone doesn't like all the rules then don't run TCS. For that matter ROAR races included!
That simple!
Just my 2$

Hey Kevin,
Are you going to Tamiya tomorrow? Should be a nice day!!
Hey Max,

No Tamiya for me today. Some changes going on in my life right now so I will not be out as often. I am going to the RCGT race on Sunday at Corona. I am going to be selling some of my RC stuff too so if you are looking for another M8 or Airtronics FM receivers, shoot me a PM. I am also going to start selling some of my bodies and kits from my collection (dating back to TA01 and TA02 stuff from the early '90's).
Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Well, you asked for it!
Originally Posted by CarKing
If you would like to discuss this further, PM me and we can go from there. I do appreciate you and your concerns of our rules.

Sadly we only have so much staffing availible to us so we do what we can. I am sorry that this rule has made it difficult for you, but we are doing what we feel is best for the series and our racers. I understand you might not agree and that is perfectly fine as we never expected everyone to agree with everything we do. If you feel that strongly about it though, you are under no obligation to run. While we would enjoy having a die hard Tamiya person like yourself there, we understand that if you are not happy with aspects of the series, it won't be as much fun for you and we really want you to have fun racing our series with other people who do as well.

We do worry when batteries explode, but sadly we cannot run around checking everyone's battery charging voltage all day long. We do not require lipo sacks, but do what we can by checking the lipo voltage before a car heads onto the track. This minimizes the chance a battery is being charged improperly whether it be at the wrong setting, the wrong charger, or some high amperage.

I am sorry that you disagree strongly with the rule about how you have to wire a secondary fan, and again if you would like to discuss it further, you can PM me. We appreciate any feedback we get, but please understand that we have taken the time to make sure we are doing the best we can with our rules to make a fun and safe series.

If anyone has any other questions regarding rules or the series, please e-mail Tamiya Customer Service for further information.
Sadlly and most confusingly I'd like to admit that I resemble both of you in each of every one of your remarks here. Some people are too "smart" for their own good. Seeking an advantage with whatever consequence is not permissable whenst others safty is in question. God forbid anything serious could happen. I've seen some crazy things if any one would care to hear about them. But as for something like a fan... or a flight pack to run the fan and radio, lets just say that less is more. Please all remember what happened to slot car racing .... So out of good sportsmanship we bow to the rule in good faith of the enbetterment of the group instead of the individual. Or ones pocketbook for that matter. I for one just want to race.....without killing any body.

Or maybe just use a reciever with 4 channels like the Futaba .. or how about the eagle fan setup for Novak comes with a splitter. whats the big deal? The solution only costa about another $3.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

NEVERRRRRRRR.......... I AM NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT! Me in sandles is like a dog with his bone.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

SHENNANIGANS !
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Or maybe just use a reciever with 4 channels like the Futaba .. or how about the eagle fan setup for Novak comes with a splitter. whats the big deal? The solution only costa about another $3.
I've already moved past the fan issue, which to me wasn't really an issue at all. Curiosity just got to me on why the rule changed, and now we know.

Unfortunately my first fan was an utter failure powering through the receiver (it surges and caused my receiver light to flicker), so I've ordered a couple of 5V MR fans to replace the original Integy (thanks for the recommendation, Charlie!). I'll be 100% TCS legal by next weekend!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
rccardr red-dot-motors (a creative word sub) were in a bunch because he missed the 1st two races. I would have to say my yellow-spot-motors would be in a bunch too if I planned on the 1st two races and missed them, due to rain/cancellations. Although after the 2nd missed race I would try to sneak on the Hickman hauler and jump off around Chicago hopefully with many books written of their speed secrets and Disneyland mickey mouse gear, which I would not normally get on a race weekend. . .

Luckily, I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about that and should be able to attend the Trackside race.

My beefs were resolved when the rules and schedule were released early.
I don't really feel like complaining about nothing to complain about. . .

On the fan wiring I would think the wires would blow apart being of 26 or smaller gauge before creating a lipo battery blow-torch.
I just hope tracks and races have a lipo safety plan that includes: class D fire extinguisher, clay pots, sand, lipo sack, etc. . .
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Hey Max,

No Tamiya for me today. Some changes going on in my life right now so I will not be out as often. I am going to the RCGT race on Sunday at Corona. I am going to be selling some of my RC stuff too so if you are looking for another M8 or Airtronics FM receivers, shoot me a PM. I am also going to start selling some of my bodies and kits from my collection (dating back to TA01 and TA02 stuff from the early '90's).
Kevin,

i hope things are okay with you...and you're only in a transition period (i.e. GETTING MARRIED and buying a house), that's why your racing will be limited. See you tomorrow at Corona.. ill hit you up then.

- Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.