Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Really it all comes down to this all the fast guys will still be fast and guys that are just below that will be just as competitive with the fast guys which makes for a great race. Grandpa if you could bring your dyno(motor tester) this saturday I would like to do some testing and write down some numbers that would be great. I know that yours and Freds are very close in calibration. Also if you set the rpm limit 800 above what the average motor is out of the box your guranteed to see all the motors the same speed with no funny bidnesss
Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hebiki
the test happened last year before nationals... we tested 2 motors. i had one of my "tuned" silver cans. it was around 25,000k dirty. comm wasnt clean at all. i dont remember the "new" silver can. but it was stupid low. like 12,500 i think. dont quote on me. but it was low. only thing done to the motor was oil in the bushing.

i ran 7 times (4 qualifiers and triple a-main for nats). and there was i believe an increase of 100 rpm.

i also did the same for black can motors. it was dead by the 5th run due to "aggressive" gearing that i tested. there wasnt a significant increase in RPM either for that motor. AND the brushes were never seated. i didnt do any break in.

at that time (if i remember correctly) i had recommended to fred that he test all the motors for nationals...weed out the bad ones...and set the rpm limit by adding +300 to whatever the motors tested at.

that way NO FORM of break in can be done.

forgot to add... in the 10+ motors i tested last year for my own purposes, they varied +/- 100rpm. the motors i picked out though seemed like they were from the same batch. the matte finish 2 vent hole johnson.

I think you meant to say that the motor that turned 25,000 was tested at 7.2 volts and the new one that came out to 12,500 "or something" was tested at 5 volts. Just checking to make sure that you didn't have a motor that turned 25K at 5 volts becuase if you did you need to PM me ASAP and on top of all that you said it was dirty .
Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I think you meant to say that the motor that turned 25,000 was tested at 7.2 volts and the new one that came out to 12,500 "or something" was tested at 5 volts. Just checking to make sure that you didn't have a motor that turned 25K at 5 volts becuase if you did you need to PM me ASAP and on top of all that you said it was dirty .
25k at 5v. no mistake. ive seen higher my friend. Doc can do the same thing. I'm not the only one.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A motor that turns 25K at 5 volts either has a tossed wind or is about to go up in flames. The brushes in those things just can't take that kind of abuse. High teens at 5 volts is about as far as we've been able to push them and still have a good torque reading and a useable power band.

But at the end of the day, overall RPM matters less than how much power it makes and where that happens on the RPM curve. Yes, Virginia, there are 13.5K Red Dot motors

Meanwhile, the next batch of Red Dots will be shipped at the end of this month. Collect, 'em, swap 'em, or just use one to raise a few eyebrows when they tech your car at Aliso because it's too fast

The last two batches have sold out prepaid in advance, so if you want one, give me a shout at [email protected].
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Last year, we tested 7 silver can motors new out of the box, then after 3-4 runs on them. We found that after they had all be run, the range was from 11k - 11,350k. No cleaning, no comm drops, just straight run at a fixed gear ratio with time to cool in between. We also dyno'd them right after running, and after letting them sit and really saw no difference in rpms.

We also teched them at one point during Nats because of so much whining and what was funny is that the slowest guys had the fastest motors and the fastest guys had the slowest motors, but all were within 300rpm.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
A motor that turns 25K at 5 volts either has a tossed wind or is about to go up in flames. The brushes in those things just can't take that kind of abuse. High teens at 5 volts is about as far as we've been able to push them and still have a good torque reading and a useable power band.

But at the end of the day, overall RPM matters less than how much power it makes and where that happens on the RPM curve. Yes, Virginia, there are 13.5K Red Dot motors

Meanwhile, the next batch of Red Dots will be shipped at the end of this month. Collect, 'em, swap 'em, or just use one to raise a few eyebrows when they tech your car at Aliso because it's too fast

The last two batches have sold out prepaid in advance, so if you want one, give me a shout at [email protected].
i never said the motor would last longer than 2 runs?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Body for GT1

Hey Guys,

What's a fast and stable body to run for GT-1. I know Anthony and Timmy have been running fast, what are they running and also what did Steve run last year?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GTRtuned
Hey Guys,

What's a fast and stable body to run for GT-1. I know Anthony and Timmy have been running fast, what are they running and also what did Steve run last year?
i have no idea about those guys but i'll be runnnig an 05 nsx in gt1.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarKing

We also teched them at one point during Nats because of so much whining and what was funny is that the slowest guys had the fastest motors and the fastest guys had the slowest motors, but all were within 300rpm.

Thats awesome I wished you would of posted that earlier it just proves that the motor is not the single key ingredient in being fast. In fact its about 40% of what makes you fast in my opinion Fred told me that mine turned 9,800 rpm at nationals and he tested it at 7.4 volts
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Thats awesome I wished you would of posted that earlier it just proves that the motor is not the single key ingredient in being fast. In fact its about 40% of what makes you fast in my opinion Fred told me that mine turned 9,800 rpm at nationals and he tested it at 7.4 volts
There was too much whining already we didn't want to get more into it, and we were running out of daylight as we all recall. Driver and setup are always key. Fast guys are always fast like has been said time and time again. We even gave out new motors to everyone and the same guys were still fast.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Does anyone know what the Weight limit on F1 cars for the TCS series is? I did not see anything posted in the rules and regulations page.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

replied to u in f103, no weight limit. but goin crazy light would be a mistake.

R
Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Exclamation motor rpm check

Last year, we tested 7 silver can motors new out of the box, then after 3-4 runs on them. We found that after they had all be run, the range was from 11k - 11,350k. No cleaning, no comm drops, just straight run at a fixed gear ratio with time to cool in between. We also dyno'd them right after running, and after letting them sit and really saw no difference in rpms.

CarKing,

With the Tamiya America TCS race just around the corner can you verify that Mini, F1, GT3 classes will have periodic motor RPM checks if needed (heard initially is was just the Mini class)

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Yes we will be periodically motor inspecting if needed in Mini, GT3, and F1.

This means that the RPM limit will apply to
Mini
F1
GT3

Be prepared to meet the RPM limits for your class.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yes we will be periodically motor inspecting if needed in Mini, GT3, and F1.

This means that the RPM limit will apply to
Mini
F1
GT3

Be prepared to meet the RPM limits for your class.
Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.