Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
What would that do? The same shenanigans apply, just at a higher level.
Thats a big 10-4 over
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
rpm limit .. please ... thats never going to work.
lets run sport tuned motors instead! especially in F1.
yes it will work esp since the RPM level will be 100-200 higher than what a BOX STOCK untouched silvercan will be. i should know, i did the testing for Fred.

a new silver can and a silver can thats be run 5 times (2 qualifiers, triple A scenario) will only increase 200-300 rpm MAX from the testing i did.... (this is of course untouched, uncleaned, not broken in, etc).
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Just wondering...

Does the Brushless Novak 17.5 motor have to have the yellow ring as pictured on the TCS site?

I got the 3417 motor and it has a black ring. It should be okay for TCS right?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markus
Just wondering...

Does the Brushless Novak 17.5 motor have to have the yellow ring as pictured on the TCS site?

I got the 3417 motor and it has a black ring. It should be okay for TCS right?
no. you'll need the yellow ringed novak per the rules.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
us RCers are a devious bunch
shenanigans
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

shenanigans
Which is why mod is fair.

Silvercan with impound is fair too. If only GT3 were left to the true intermediate level drivers.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

shenanigans
shenanigans
Old 01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

shenanigans
tomfoolery.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

shenanigans
Originally Posted by stitchy
tomfoolery.
skulduggery
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
yes it will work esp since the RPM level will be 100-200 higher than what a BOX STOCK untouched silvercan will be. i should know, i did the testing for Fred.

a new silver can and a silver can thats be run 5 times (2 qualifiers, triple A scenario) will only increase 200-300 rpm MAX from the testing i did.... (this is of course untouched, uncleaned, not broken in, etc).
I don't think the rpm limits will be that low but if he sets them around 13,500 at 5 volts it would leave enough room for people who have water dipped them or ran them so much that the brushes are seated and any other type of motor voodoo would send them way over that limit. And if for some reason they do get set at 12,500 - 12,800 then thats gooder too morer fairer better closer raceringer
Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Just curious, but how many motors did you test?. What was the rpm variation between the best and the worst? What was the median or average of the motors tested? Would it be possible to post your data as it would be helpful for someone who just may have a "dud" motor and doesn't have the racing budget to buy multiple motors?

I also was wondering what all the secrecy about the rpm limit accomplishes. It's not going to deter the motor wizards as they'll have a motor tuned right to the limit within an hour of finding out what the rpm limit is anyway. Please note that I was not questioning the rpm limit, I was just wondering about all the secrecy.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Granpa
Just curious, but how many motors did you test?. What was the rpm variation between the best and the worst? What was the median or average of the motors tested? Would it be possible to post your data as it would be helpful for someone who just may have a "dud" motor and doesn't have the racing budget to buy multiple motors?

I also was wondering what all the secrecy about the rpm limit accomplishes. It's not going to deter the motor wizards as they'll have a motor tuned right to the limit within an hour of finding out what the rpm limit is anyway. Please note that I was not questioning the rpm limit, I was just wondering about all the secrecy.
the test happened last year before nationals... we tested 2 motors. i had one of my "tuned" silver cans. it was around 25,000k dirty. comm wasnt clean at all. i dont remember the "new" silver can. but it was stupid low. like 12,500 i think. dont quote on me. but it was low. only thing done to the motor was oil in the bushing.

i ran 7 times (4 qualifiers and triple a-main for nats). and there was i believe an increase of 100 rpm.

i also did the same for black can motors. it was dead by the 5th run due to "aggressive" gearing that i tested. there wasnt a significant increase in RPM either for that motor. AND the brushes were never seated. i didnt do any break in.

at that time (if i remember correctly) i had recommended to fred that he test all the motors for nationals...weed out the bad ones...and set the rpm limit by adding +300 to whatever the motors tested at.

that way NO FORM of break in can be done.

forgot to add... in the 10+ motors i tested last year for my own purposes, they varied +/- 100rpm. the motors i picked out though seemed like they were from the same batch. the matte finish 2 vent hole johnson.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I don't think the rpm limits will be that low but if he sets them around 13,500 at 5 volts it would leave enough room for people who have water dipped them or ran them so much that the brushes are seated and any other type of motor voodoo would send them way over that limit. And if for some reason they do get set at 12,500 - 12,800 then thats gooder too morer fairer better closer raceringer
all the more reason to set the RPM limit very low. then if any break in IS done... you'll go over the limit and get DQ'ed
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

all the more reason to set the RPM limit very low. then if any break in IS done... you'll go over the limit and get DQ'ed
and if you have a magnet in your pocket, you'll just get laughed out of the place
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

the test happened last year before nationals... we tested 2 motors. i had one of my "tuned" silver cans. it was around 25,000k dirty. comm wasnt clean at all. i dont remember the "new" silver can. but it was stupid low. like 12,500 i think. dont quote on me. but it was low. only thing done to the motor was oil in the bushing.

i ran 7 times (4 qualifiers and triple a-main for nats). and there was i believe an increase of 100 rpm.

i also did the same for black can motors. it was dead by the 5th run due to "aggressive" gearing that i tested. there wasnt a significant increase in RPM either for that motor. AND the brushes were never seated. i didnt do any break in.

at that time (if i remember correctly) i had recommended to fred that he test all the motors for nationals...weed out the bad ones...and set the rpm limit by adding +300 to whatever the motors tested at.

that way NO FORM of break in can be done.

forgot to add... in the 10+ motors i tested last year for my own purposes, they varied +/- 100rpm. the motors i picked out though seemed like they were from the same batch. the matte finish 2 vent hole johnson.
Thank you for answering my questions cause it gave me a tremendous amount of insight into how things work. The question about all the secrecy remains unanswered, but that may be outside of your influence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.